Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been trying to type myself for over a year now, but every time I think I know which one I am I start thinking about it again and I change my mind. Lately, my test results have been mostly INFJ, but I've gotten all of the different INxx types at various times. I'm also a bit foggy on my enneagram type (I've gotten 4w5 and 6w5 in the past). Thanks for your help!

0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

I'm a fairly healthy and intelligent 16-year-old girl with a pretty average life. I have a very low self-image and, though I've never really been psychoanalyzed, I have gone through periods of apparent depression and I probably suffer from some form of social anxiety. Lately, I've been feeling a lot better about myself than usual, but most of my answers will probably be clouded by my innate negativity.

1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.

(I can't post the image or the link, but the picture I found shows an old, somewhat decrepit building in an overgrown field.) I love this picture. Looking at it, I can't help but wonder what has gone on inside that building. It looks deserted but quite beautiful, and I feel like it probably has a rich history.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

My initial thought process is probably a moment of panic, followed by, dammit, why can't I just have one social engagement without things going horribly wrong? I had a feeling something was going to get messed up; the fact that my friends actually elected to spend time with me/followed through with our plans was just too good to be true. My outward reaction is a muttered stream of curses and a whole lot of running my fingers through my hair and groaning while I pace around. If it doesn't seem like I'm getting in the way, I might try to help fix the problem, but I'll most likely do more harm than good and wind up apologizing a lot. If someone happens to drive by, I'll be the one telling everyone not to ask for help; I get nervous about talking to strangers and I would much rather keep others uninvolved.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?

I'll probably try to talk the driver out of going. Parties are NOT my thing. If we do end up going, I'll feel very uncomfortable and probably beg at least one member of the group to hang out in the corner and talk to me. If I wind up on my own, it's very likely that I'll spend at least part of the event hiding in the car, wishing I could enjoy the party but too nervous to let myself.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?

I'll want to confront them about the comment. If it's a close friend, I'll tell them what I think and possibly even start a small debate. If I'm not as comfortable with that person, I'll keep my mouth shut but feel rather awkward speaking to them later.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?

That depends on the situation. If it's something I can fix, then I'll probably try to do so, especially if I have someone there to back me up. If not, then I'll definitely rant about it to my family at a later point. If it's something really serious and I don't do anything about it, I'll surely feel guilty about it for a long time.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

Lately, I've realized just how much I value honesty and authenticity. I hate people who are superficial, giving false praise and pretending to care when they really don't. However, as much as I need others to be honest, I also value tact. I used to be friends with a guy who was painfully insensitive, and it drove me crazy. I work very hard to be diplomatic, and while I refuse to shower people with undeserved compliments, I also do everything I can to avoid doling out insulting criticism.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?

a.) I think WAY too much. I overanalyze nearly everything, and I'm pretty sure most other people are better at picking and choosing which issues to focus on.
b.) I would do away with my constant self-doubt. I need to stop feeling insecure and learn to love myself and believe that other people can as well.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?

If I get a gut feeling that seems completely bizarre, I'll dismiss it; otherwise I generally follow my hunches. I most often notice my gut feelings when I'm assessing other people; sometimes I can just tell that I'm not going to like someone. Also, this is kind of weird, but a couple of years ago I would occasionally get this weird feeling that my German teacher was going to give my class a pop quiz -- and I was almost always right.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

a.) I get a lot of energy from working with young children; I love kids and I find it so easy to talk to them and have a good time. Ranting to my family and close friends about things that matter to me can be energizing as well. Lately, I've also found that I get a lot of energy from making/fixing things. I've finally learned how to use a hot glue gun without hurting myself, and now it's my best friend. Crafty things like that usually frustrate me because I feel like the things I make never match up with the ideas in my mind, but when I realize that I can do that sort of thing semi-successfully, I feel great.
b.) Social gatherings (especially formal awards ceremonies, etc.) drain my energy. I get really nervous around big groups of people and I need lots of time to recharge afterwards.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?

Honestly, when I'm with many of my peers, I become a completely different person. At home and with my close friends, I am spirited, sarcastic, and occasionally even fun. But when I go to school, I lose all of that. I act like a total doormat and I HATE it. It started back in middle school, and even though now I have no desire to behave that way, I find myself falling into the same patterns when I'm around certain classmates. It's NOT me, but even though I've gotten better at being myself around others, everyone seems to see me as the same shy, somewhat weird little nerd that I let them think I was back in eighth grade. Ugh.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts