Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problems with extroverts obviously.
Being an introverted musician sucks when dealing with extroverted musicians.
I play guitar in bands and it sucks having to work with people.

Here's my rant on what I think are some extroverted tendencies and how they annoy me:

Too many Guitar pedals...

I've noticed E types are always buying new guitar pedals and have retardedly large set ups.
I think they like have all the different options in front of them, just how they like a lot of faces around them.

I've seen I types like myself who like to use less pedals and try to find a greater guitar tone on its own and focus more on what there playing.
I think it's just that I's think more inwardly.

Poor song structure...

When creating a song E types like to add extra bars to songs making them longer. ugh. They also never want to commit to the structure of a song when creating it.

When I types are more likely to build the structure first and work inward at creating better parts for lines that already exist.

Distractions...

Put and E in a room with loud instruments they can play and other people and they get so distracted. They talk and want to show you stuff they can play.

Put an I in the same room and they want to create songs and practice old ones, not talk.
The reason they showed up is to make music, especially when you pay to rent out a jam space.

After shows...

After shows the E's want to yuck it up with all the other bands that played and other people. There night is just beginning.

After shows the I's want to go home because they just put energy into a performance and don't want to socialize with everyone.
This is a good way to get a rep that you have a bad ego, and a bad way to network with other musicians.

I rip on extroverts here but at the end of the day they have some straights that would be needed in a band that introverts don't have, mainly networking.

A band is a team so It would be good to have both E's and I's together using there own straights.

Yea.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea it dose annoy me because I usually see a better way of doing things. But that docent mean I don't let them play what they want to play. I can play what I want and them the same and thats how you make original music.

I only made this because I noticed some of the same tendencies in people who are more extroverted, bra.

·
Banned
465 Posts
First of all, please do not ever say "bra" again unless you are referring to the undergarment that supports a woman's breasts.

Second of all, I am skeptical of the idea that someone who actually writes out the word "docent" and doesn't see anything wrong with that "usually sees a better way of doing things" in any situation.

Third of all, you are making massive generalizations and incorrect statements about all extroverts based on a few people you encountered. How is this logical?

Fourth of all, there is absolutely no correlation I am aware of between introversion/extraversion and musical ability.

Fifth of all, you seem to be completely ignorant of what "I" and "E" really mean in a Jungian sense as opposed to in the common tongue.

Sixth of all, you sound more like an arrogant misanthrope with a superiority complex who hates everyone not exactly like him than an introvert, especially an INTP. I would also consider looking into the diagnostic criteria for mental disorders such as "Anti-Social Personality Disorder" and "Autism Spectrum Disorder" before typing yourself. (Especially the former.)

·
Banned
465 Posts
Dude im Canadian, all Canadians spell "dosen't" docent.

It's like color and colour you know?
OK, you had me going troll. You got me. Hahaha. But I'm not even close to that gullible, not even online when I can't actually read the other person. Canadians do follow the rules of English after all. (Well, I think they do anyway.)

Reactions: monemi

·
Registered
703 Posts
My biggest problem is that I spend so much time writing lyrics that I never share lol. And the ESTJ lead singer/rhythm guitarist of my band is perfectly fine with a song being really boring musically if the lyrics have a good meaning, even if it's horribly cliched... And always tells me how bad my amp is lol

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And always tells me how bad my amp is lol
lol Thats the Senor in him coming out.

I play with a ESTJ as well and he always talks about his guitar pedals, and he did dis my amp because it's a tube amp saying that; most jazz players prefer solid state amps. lol

Senors always know about gear and what is happening with effects and stuff I've noticed.

But it's us Intuitive types that ignore all that stuff and just play around with equipment/effects until we make something cool.
:laughing:

·
Registered
703 Posts
lol Thats the Senor in him coming out.

I play with a ESTJ as well and he always talks about his guitar pedals, and he did dis my amp because it's a tube amp saying that; most jazz players prefer solid state amps. lol
Lol that's so my friend too, the lucky bastard got a really nice Line 8 half stack for 200 bucks that was originally around 1,600

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Eh when I saw the title, I was thinking "it sucks being an introverted musician because it's harder for us to find people to play with in the first place".

I dunno if that's true, but I see a plus with extroverted musicians being all out talking to people, because that's how they find people to work with, and I'd like to be able to do that. The more people you know, the more likely you'll find another musician who is compatible with you!

I mean, I can relate to the feeling, "Why are you okay with performing this song? It's crap and boring!" thing. But I don't think that's necessarily because those who are fine with it are extroverted, I think they just don't have the same taste/focus/perfectionist tendency as you. I mean there's a mountain of bands that are more excited with just playing and not so much about composing something interesting (honestly, those tend to be the ones that become popular, even if just for a short time. WTF is wrong with people? Why do they like such cliched, forgettable songs?)

But I don't think it's necessarily bad to work with people who just like playing. MAYBE they're better improvisers or performers than you are. If you find a good way to communicate and work with them, you could be the member who's writing good songs, and they could be the members that are performing well and inviting people to come and check the music out. Is it really so bad?

By the way, I really want to play in a band :frustrating:

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Eh when I saw the title, I was thinking "it sucks being an introverted musician because it's harder for us to find people to play with in the first place".
By the way, I really want to play in a band :frustrating:
I can totally relate to that 100% I can't believe I forgot that.
The band I play in now I met through craigslist lol
But the people in this one know more people who are more into the local punk scene.
So i've kinda met some new people from them.
The band I played in before was started with someone I work with.

Gotta be open to playing what ever style while also bringing your own sound into the mix.

I think it gets easier the more bands you have played in because you always meet new musicians who most likely just saw your set. But like I said Im drained after preforming and don't feel like talking. Im drained after the journey to where we are playing if thats a cuffufle.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I take a bit of this back after how much I've recently appreciated being in a band with a really extroverted dude.
We played a show last friday and he has already got us another show in october with some more punk bands which is what we want.
And while it came be annoying sometimes I do like how he likes to start group discussions all the time, it keeps us on the same page.

The thing is he knows his weaknesses and strengths in the band as do I and the others.

So its mature musicians you want.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Ok, so now I actually need some advice

I haven't played with other people in a pretty long time (only did it shortly during college). Ideally I would want to play something I compose or in a form that I find interesting, but I don't think I can start my own band because I'm lacking the experience and wouldn't know my way around. So I think I should join a pretty active band first to gain experience. The thing is I also live in a country where I'm obviously not that fluent in their national language. But I still can't get over being sorta picky! D: Ugggh... like, since earlier this week I've been contacting & considering auditioning for this metal band, and I keep thinking if I should bother, because it does bug me that, after listening to their stuff, I'm only half interested in what they're playing. I mean, I see how this could be a valuable experience, but should I commit to something I don't really believe in? WTF am I being so idealistic about?

Help!

·
Registered
538 Posts
I was working with an Extroverted musician this week, and I noticed several of the things you mentioned...lol. The way this guy structured his songs about drove me up the wall.

I like complete control over the way my own music sounds, so I tend to gig solo. I don't know if that's an introverted thing or not. I do think my Ni along with my J makes it hard for me to easily play music with other people. *shrugs*

1 - 17 of 17 Posts