Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd be interested in hearing from any introverted type nines on whether they agree that one of the basic fears of type nine, separation from others, applies to them much?

Honestly, it doesn't do me much justice. The last time I took the myers-briggs type indicator personality test, I scored as an 89% introvert. I don't mind being separate from other people at all; I think being a recluse of sorts is rather pleasant for someone like me who sees much value in solitude, often for extended periods of time. Even after I've been "recharged" from being alone, I don't have a huge desire to seek out people as if I feel like I am being "separate from others". In fact, I rarely ever feel that way. Do other nines feel the same way? Different? Cool. :cool:

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only from people I deeply love, otherwise I'm quite happy to be "separated" from people :)
But doesn't everyone have this longing to see people who they love? I'm just trying to fit all the pieces to this puzzle together and understand what it is about being a 9 that makes it absolutely necessary for this type to be fearful of separation from others. Seems like the vast majority of human beings want to see people they care about, so why is it so essential specifically for nines to be fearful of this separation?

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
But doesn't everyone have this longing to see people who they love? I'm just trying to fit all the pieces to this puzzle together and understand what it is about being a 9 that makes it absolutely necessary for this type to be fearful of separation from others. Seems like the vast majority of human beings want to see people they care about, so why is it so essential specifically for nines to be fearful of this separation?
True. hm.

Type 9 Fear:

Being shut down, overlooked and not included by others are among your greatest fears. You are afraid of being loveless and of not receiving or being able to give love.

Perhaps it's because we want harmony with others above all else and separation is the opposite of harmony?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I fear... disconnection from people - being unable to actually engage with the "mainstream" core of society, everyday people, being unable to relate or care or be related to or cared about. But I'm cool with some alone time, you know, I dig that.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
I think it doesn't apply when you keep away from others on your own accord. Turn it around, what if the people very close to you were to disappear? Or if you lost that connection to them, say they were to become veggies and they were all you had.

As 9s we feel like we are nothing on our own. We are only significant because we have friends and family close to us. They are our identification and purpose. Sometimes, we even live through them! So if these close bonds of ours were to disappear we would lose ourselves in the process. We would be left with "nothing" which is...a quite horrible thought, thus the fear of separation.

Being shut down, overlooked and not included by others are among your greatest fears. You are afraid of being loveless and of not receiving or being able to give love.
When we are overlooked that furthers our beliefs that we are insignificant and unlovable on our own. When we're able to see that we are truly significant that must be very liberating!

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
True. hm.

Type 9 Fear:

Perhaps it's because we want harmony with others above all else and separation is the opposite of harmony?
Actually, this describes my fears pretty well. It's a bit unsettling how accurate that is.

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
No, not everyone has that longing.
I'd say for me (5) I like it when I see people I love and enjoy it when they're there, mostly, but when they are away I'm not missing them. But that is in a way because I trust that they're not really gone, and I still think about them, and they are so much a part of my mind/history that they're still around mentally, which is most real to me. My fears are never of separation, but only of being overwhelmed. I never really doubt people I care about, can always pick up where we left off, assume we're friends unless something actually damages things and distance is not damage to me -- but I will doubt my ability to deal with too many expectations that can come with presence and connection.
It's like, one may not want separation, irrevocable, real separation, but there are potentially scarier things, and it doesn't seem as likely or as easy to happen to everyone, hence less fear & less need to avert the possibility. Point of contrast, fwiw.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'd be interested in hearing from any introverted type nines on whether they agree that one of the basic fears of type nine, separation from others, applies to them much?

Honestly, it doesn't do me much justice. The last time I took the myers-briggs type indicator personality test, I scored as an 89% introvert. I don't mind being separate from other people at all; I think being a recluse of sorts is rather pleasant for someone like me who sees much value in solitude, often for extended periods of time. Even after I've been "recharged" from being alone, I don't have a huge desire to seek out people as if I feel like I am being "separate from others". In fact, I rarely ever feel that way. Do other nines feel the same way? Different? Cool. :cool:
Type 9 and Introverted, I have no problem being away from people at all.......

·
Registered
3,640 Posts

This would describe my greatest fear very well and I'm incredibly introverted. Being introverted to me means I need a lot of time to myself to reflect and recharge, it doesn't at all mean I don't desire or need being connected to other people. There is a group of people that I am very closely connected to and my greatest fear is being cut off from them, but time away from them to take care of my need to be alone does not cause any disconnect. It's just a time we're not interacting, not a time when our relationship is severed.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I've faced this fear, it was but not anymore. Well not on a small scale, I have dreams of grandeur that take of it. So I guess you could say that faced with the fear of actually being overlooked and ignored I displaced those feelings with a delusional sense of grandeur, a dream to do something that presence is felt and recognize even if it isn't directly, it might be a building or bridge, a psychological theory that changes the field, a pill you take that helps to relieve or cure something the afflicts, or just to escape reality and enjoy an artificial sense of bliss, peace, happiness, and serenity. Either way I plan letting this fear run my life by forcing me to do something great and impact the world.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm an introverted 9 and I wouldn't call it a fear, but I really don't like that much alone time. Like, give me a day or two and I'm goood. After too long, I just start to feel bad and anxious and itching to see anyone. I'd even rather hang out with my Debby Downer friend than be alone for too long tbh. :O I hadn't really thought about it before, but I guess the above is behind it? It kind of resonates with me...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Reviving an old thread I guess but wanted to throw my two cents in.. introverted nine and I usually never feel compelled to initiate contact a ton. Sometimes I get lost in my 'mind renovation' and accidentally forget about the people in my life. So I'd have to agree with an earlier poster..I don't fear the separation as much as the pressure that contacts sometimes bring on..

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
one of the basic fears of type nine, separation from others
I'm curious, where did you get this from? I think it's a false statement/misinterpreted. "Fear of separation" refers to something else, something like being your own person and not a part of everything/the world/the universe. To be on your and suffer no illusion - doing no 9ish narcotizing/dreaming to feel part of what's bigger than yourself.

·
Banned
74 Posts
I'm curious, where did you get this from? I think it's a false statement/misinterpreted. "Fear of separation" refers to something else, something like being your own person and not a part of everything/the world/the universe. To be on your and suffer no illusion - doing no 9ish narcotizing/dreaming to feel part of what's bigger than yourself.
This would make it easier to type my Grandad, an ISTP mechanic/craftsman virtuoso. I think he wanted to be immersed in his machinery and creation/fixing more than he wanted to be with people. Got annoyed by people trying to argue with him, and would sometimes avoid them/not talk after disputes, but generally easy-going. I only think he was a nine because everything else seems even less likely.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
This would make it easier to type my Grandad, an ISTP mechanic/craftsman virtuoso. I think he wanted to be immersed in his machinery and creation/fixing more than he wanted to be with people. Got annoyed by people trying to argue with him, and would sometimes avoid them/not talk after disputes, but generally easy-going. I only think he was a nine because everything else seems even less likely.
Sounds like a nine to me:proud:. Especially the last part, sometimes that undefined part of nines is the trait that gives them away the most.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I am a 9, and fully introverted.

I don't mind being alone, actually I even like it.
But when I am in a group, I need to be at least on neutral mode with everybody. The best would be that they appreciate me.
If they don't appreciate me, then, it's too bad, but it will probably not end well (usually by me fleeing the scene before I do seomething I would regret)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts