Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Introverted Sensation (Si).

Introverted sensation is an exclusive method of receiving information, primarily concerned with the subjective impressions it derives from what is.

..he may be conspicuous for his calmness and passivity, or his rational self-control. This peculiarity, which often leads a superficial judgment astray, is really due to an unrelatedness to objects.
- Carl Jung, Chapter X - Psychological Types.
Only some things strike us as important, useful, familiar or exciting enough to convert into mental content – that is, into facts we retain over time.
Lenore Thomson, Introverted Sensation - Personality Types: An Owners Manual.
When I use the word exclusive, I intend it to mean it excludes receiving information that does not pique it's interest. In this fashion, you could picture it as a 'private' method of receiving information – when the Si type is focused on something, unlike Se - the doors are closed, with regards to accepting other information.

The Si type only sees value in objects in so far as they release an impression inside themselves – an object is only useful, if it means something to the Si type – otherwise, the Si type is one who might question the existence of such meaningless objects – what's the use in them? They don't mean anything to me. The world keeps spinning regardless of the existence of this thing. It means nothing.

A simple example of this would be the Si wife who goes to the shops – she spots some root beer and thinks to herself how her husband will like this, perhaps she plays out a mental movie of her actually bringing the root beer home, then her husband saying “cheers bae” while he's playing video games - in this moment, her focus is entirely on her own subjective impression of the root beer – everything else may as well be zoned out – the doors are shut, with regards to other drinks in her peripheral vision and perhaps even shut to auditory information as well as she is engaging in her own sensory impressions of the root beer – note – she is not focused on the root beer itself – she is not thinking about the colour of the can, the temperature of it, the shape, how it would feel, how it would taste etc – her focus is instead, on her own impressions of the root beer, not the object itself.

We could say that an introverted sensation transmits an image which does not so much reproduce the object as spread over it the patina of age-old subjective experience and the shimmer of events still unborn. The bare sense impression develops in depth, reaching into the past and future.
- Carl Jung, Chapter X – Psychological Types
You can clearly see how the above links into the example I provided with the root beer – in focusing on her own sense impression, rather than the object itself, the wife slathers the root beer in meaning – it becomes something more than a can of drink – it becomes a nice gesture, an object that brings pleasure and appreciation, a part of a moment the two will share – this is potential, this is a clear combination of reaching into the past (knowing the husband likes root beer) and glancing at the shimmer of events still unborn – reaching into the future.

It should be painfully obvious here, but for whatever reason it's not widely acknowledged, that Si is a creative function. In perceiving the root beer and attaching meaning to it – it becomes something else entirely, it becomes an idea – the root beer, becomes idolised.
I would like to draw attention to this link, which covers Si as a subjective creative force to be reckoned with, something akin to fine wines – it only gets better over time:
https://mbtidatabase.tumblr.com/post/120611758181/si-doms-are-creative

Now consider any other drinks that might have been next to the root beer – where are they? Non-existent. They are not a part of the sensing impression that is received. They are not a part of the past, present nor future to the Si dominant. They mean nothing.
They're not good, they're not bad, they're neutral or non-existent. They may as well not even be there, to the Si type.

The manner in which Si excludes information, is intentional – consider it a defence mechanism of sorts – it excludes other information to protect itself against being overwhelmed by sensory impressions. Can you imagine having the same subjective impressions and imagery from the root beer example, arise constantly, from everything you perceive?
Your mind would explode, you would go insane.

So Si types meet anything that does not pique their interest with well-intentioned neutrality by default, to protect themselves:

The too low is raised a little, the too high is lowered, enthusiasm is damped down, extravagance restrained, and anything out of the ordinary reduced to the right formula – all this in order to keep the influence of the object within the necessary bounds.
- Carl Jung, Chapter X – Psychological Types.
To sum up what introverted sensing is again, it is an exclusive method of receiving information, primarily concerned with the subjective impressions it derives from what is.

A link to the past.

Rather than follow suit and rattle off a bunch of crap about how Si types love the past – I thought it would be wise to cover the reasoning behind these stereotypes, and chip in my own 2p on the issue.

The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, of their primordial images which, in their totality, constitute a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror with the peculiar faculty of reflecting the existing contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form, but as it were, sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year-old consciousness might see them.

Such a consciousness would see the becoming and passing away of things simultaneously with their momentary existence in the present, and not only that, it would also see what was before their becoming and will be after their passing hence.
-Carl Jung, Chapter X – Psychological Types.
What I interpret this to mean, is that as detailed above, the Si type is not as concerned with the object itself, as it is with its own subjective impressions of the object.

These subjective impressions are viewed in relation to what is universally and eternally true – without consideration for the reality of time – rather, the Si types view these impressions from the perspective of the past, the present and the future, as it should be according to what is true, all at once.

This again, is evidenced in my above example with the root beer – in knowing the husband likes root beer there is a link to the past in the wifes mental movie, which is what spurs on the inner visual of the future where she brings him the root beer and they share a moment together.
This perception does not consider the reality of time – she isn't thinking about the part where she gets out of the car, walks around to the boot, opens it up, gets the root beer and other shopping items out of the car, shuts the boot, locks the car, walks up the driveway, calls out for her husband, walks up the hall and into the room he's in, walks over to him, says “Hey honey, here's a nice drink for you”.. all of that is ignored, not present in the subjective impressions – meaningless information.

Ergo, in this respect, Si is very focused on information it deems important, or to possess meaning of some sort, and meets other information with neutrality and disregard – this feeds into the detail-oriented stereotypes, in a way, however Si types aren't observant to any and all details and facts they come across – mostly the ones perceived via their subjective impressions, pertaining to things that pique their interest.

Tradition.

At this point, I find it important to stress my views on Si with regards to tradition, as this is the white elephant in the room, when it comes to stereotypes.

Due to the subjective nature of Si, and that it perceives things as they were, are and will be, instantaneously – it makes sense, therefore, that it would store this kind of information – not as memories, per say – Jung separates memory (and will) from his ideas on typology – but rather as the impressions.

Slight memory detour, important, but in a spoiler:

Therefore, I believe the Si types are seen as having great memories, and high attention to detail - because they're able to recall these sensory impressions later down the track, if something triggers a similar impression.

I don't believe they have better memories than anyone else, rather the way they perceive information lends itself to something that can have a certain randomness to it, in that a sensory impression in the present moment might recall a similar impression from years ago, and in that overlay of the past and present, they find themselves recalling information from the impression.
I don't see it as truly being 'memory' as we understand memory.

It just makes sense Si would work this way, and it explains both the apparent incredible memory Si types have as being something not particular out of the ordinary, just the byproduct of the way the receive information - and it also explains the attention to detail they have, with regards to their specific, subjective impressions, rather than 'great attention to detail' in general, which is absolutely not correlated with Si, as I understand it.

As these impressions build up over time, I believe the Si type begins to form stronger and stronger feelings (not using this word in relation to “Feeling” functions) about the impressions, and these simply become traditions to the Si user, because their own subjective experience becomes a part of the 'what will/should be' aspect of the way they perceive how the past and future play out – this 'will be/should be' aspect of Si, brings with it an inherent predictability of sorts in that, it knows how things were, and how they therefore will be.

So it should come as no surprise, that I don't believe Si types like surprises – the way they perceive the world is 'as it should be, according to me' basically – though it's far deeper than that.
It is clear to see a preference for predictability, due to how Si works.

Briefly – imagine if the wife gets home and the husband says he doesn't like root beer – well, this would throw the wife off – it's wrong, it doesn't match what she already knows – it wasn't predicted.

To provide an example of my thoughts concerning Si and traditions – imagine if the Si type is told at some point in their life, they aren't allowed to play video games past 8pm.

They will form their own impression around this idea, and the more often they recall this impression, the stronger it gets – I.e it might be beat into them, and this is just 'how it is', then they might grow up and always have this in their mind – no video games after 8pm, and enforce this on their own kids.

On the other hand, they might dismiss the idea altogether and think their parent is a dickhead for even suggesting this idea – they might then grow up, and have this impression in their head, that people who try to stop their kids from playing video games past 8pm are dickheads.

Essentially, my views on Si and tradition, could be envisioned as 'personal life lessons' – for instance, my step-dad stole a video game from me that I left on the front porch to teach me a lesson – from then on, I knew, don't leave my stuff lying around outside – it's not safe – so now, years later, I still have this feeling when things are left outside – it reminds me of being taught that lesson – sometimes I will choose to ignore it, other times I won't, the simple fact is, this is how I see 'traditions' being formed for the Si user – completely personal – only inclusive of external traditions in the general sense of the word, if they've formed part of the Si users life.

Now, when I see someone else leaving shit out the front of their house, I'm taken back to that moment when my step-dad tricked me. Feelings of being deceived are around, feelings of being an idiot, that kind of thing – all just from seeing people leave their shit out the front.

If anybody is able to point me towards something in Jungs work, that links 'tradition' to introverted sensing, I would greatly appreciate it, as I can't find the source of the stereotypes, I can only go by my own intuition and make leaps as to how they're connected – it makes sense in my head, but only in the way I've outlined above.

It makes precisely zero sense that a type that leads with a function as subjective as Si would be traditional, in the general sense of the word, by default, though I can understand how this might occur over time – it depends so much on the individual and their life experience thus far, that suggesting Si types as types to 'honour traditions' in the ordinary use of the word feels like a lie.

Predictable Standard.

Dario Nardi, in 8 Keys to Self-Leadership describes the core of Si to be a “predictable standard” - something that is most familiar to us, something we know, something we can rely on.
This predictable standard, he says, can be something like a time-honoured brand, an enjoyable past-time, a historical practice, a team process that consistently works.. etc.. you get the gist – something you can rely on. Something that works, and you know it works.

When we use Introverted Sensation, we stabilize our immediate sense impressions by integrating them with the ones we remember and care about. We “find ourselves” in whatever is happening, because our perceptions are anchored by what we already know.
Lenore Thomson – Introverted Sensing, Personality Types: An Owners Manual.
Basically, Si is “Lean on Me” by Bill Withers – for me, this predictable standard can manifest as.. going for a drive with my friends, not knowing what we want to eat – and then, voila, we're at McDonalds – McDonalds is cheap enough, the food is.. okay.. it's just the predictable standard – I know everybody will have something they'll pick from McDonalds, I know it's an option most people will settle for – and, due to it being a predictable standard for so many cruises with other people – it's just where I wind up, almost by default, if no alternate suggestions are agreed upon – here you can clearly see a preference for something that works.
Si is that something that 'has your back', in this sense.

Of course – I'm not set in my ways here, and Dario Nardi covers this – he says Si types, when they go into 'warning mode', can refer to, align, refine and apply the predictable standard – 'warning mode' is basically a review of information.
So consider having a discussion at some point about switching from McDonalds to KFC, and everybody being in agreement – the predictable standard will then change – KFC will become the predictable standard for cruises with the boiz from then on.

It's not the stick-in-the-mud process that the descriptors tend to make it out to be, rather it's a function that simply perceives the world as 'what works', or 'how things should be' and acts accordingly – I.e getting that root beer as the wife sees how it plays on – it works, it's in accordance with how things should be, in her head.. or going out and driving to the predictable standard of McDonalds, as this is what the Si perceives as what 'works'.

I do believe the general motto, for Si, would be “if it ain't broke, don't fix it” however it's critical.. absolutely critical.. to understand this is entirely subjective – what works for someone else – what works for society as a whole – may or may not be aligned with the Si types perceptions and therefore they may be seen as someone who goes against the grain, going directly against something that is proven to work – because things have to be proven to work, in the Si types own life, to be of any use or possess any kind of meaning, or provide any kind of impression.

A quick example here, might be to introduce a new Si user into the group, and he drives – nobody decides what to eat and you wind up at Burger King – that's his predictable standard.
Doesn't match everyone elses. It's his own life experience that develops his own predictable standards, his own subjective impressions are what guides him through life – not those of other people or society as a whole.

Relationship with Extraverted Intuition.

Whereas true extraverted intuition is possessed of a singular resourcefulness, a “good nose” for objectively real possibilities, this archaized intuition has an amazing flair for all the ambiguous, shadowy, sordid, dangerous possibilities lurking in the background. The real and conscious intentions of the object mean nothing to it, instead, it sniffs out every conceivable archaic motive underlying such an intention.
- Carl Jung, Chapter X – Psychological Types.
Ne in the inferior position is dark, dangerous and destructive creative function.

I don't read this, the same way it appears to be represented in descriptors of inferior Ne – rather, I read it as something brilliant and inherently artistic and imaginative – albeit, in a negativist form.

I envision Si types, to be supreme writers, if they would allow their inferior Ne to simply come out onto paper – inside their mind, they can see all of the worst case scenarios of how things will play out – as their Ne is not used in a positive sense, for the most part – getting all of these into writing, into something tangible and usable is a magic thing.

Here is an example, of what I believe is Si-Ne, with the inferior Ne taking control and exploring worst case scenarios in a creative way:

I can understand how the stereotypes of inferior Ne revolve around a dislike of change, and a fear of the future – as these play into the predictable standard taking a hit – it makes sense, that a type that is concerned with predictability and how things should be, would be thrown off by alterations to this – essentially it feels like reality is shifting, like something is off.

Introverted Sensing types tend to have a skeptical, critical attitude toward information that has not been verified by the senses and are likely to distrust people who are sloppy about details, and apt to favor novelty over accuracy and solid substantiation.
- Naomi Quenk, Introverted Sensing Types – Was That Really Me?.
A preference for perceiving the world via sensory impressions, means that for information to be acceptable, believable, it has to be experienced by the Si type.

Those who prefer.. bullshit over facts, are to be critiqued – their information, unreliable, untrustworthy – in fact practically all information for the Si dom, could be considered to be in a 'pending' state until they experience for themselves.

I use the word experience, as I want to really stress how important the 'subjective impressions' aspect of Si is – consider somebody telling you a certain meal at a restaurant is amazing – until the Si actually perceives the meal, this information might as well be non-existent and meaningless.

Simply tasting the meal, isn't enough for the Si user to believe it – it has to be perceived as amazing, in accordance with how the rest of their impressions of meals play out – so even if it is a good meal, if the impression the Si type gets isn't “amazing” - even if they've literally eaten the same meal – the perception of it being “amazing” isn't shared.
The meal according to the Si type, wasn't amazing. It won't become a part of their subjective impressions of amazing meals. It won't form part of their predictable standard.

The information needs to be verified by the Si types subjective perception, before it it accepted as reliable information, or fact – this preference for subjective sensory verification, is the very cause, and heart of what is inferior Ne – as this kind of verification is what becomes the 'common ground' between the past and the present – it becomes the predictable standard, it becomes something to lean on.

This manifests, according to Naomi Quenk – as noticing negative possibilities about new situations and new ideas, a focus on the worst case scenarios even with regards to non-stressful situations – this can look like being a worrier.. being hesitant about possibilities that haven't been incorporated into your own Si 'tried and true' list of predictability – if the Si type is unsure about something, they will take a negative stance towards it – I.e “I'm going to get some pizza, you in?” “No, it'll be way too busy tonight, fuck that – just get something from the supermarket instead.. with the footy final on you got no chance man” - since the Si type here doesn't know for a fact how things are at the pizza shop, they take a negative stance.

I think inferior Ne is a very powerful trait to possess, as it is the most creative function, in the most creative position it can be in a persons cognitive function stack – the fourth function is supposedly the gateway to the unconscious – this is precisely where the magic happens, as far as creativity is concerned, in my opinion – in the above example, if pressed, I'd bet my bottom dollar that the Si type would be able to paint a very creative picture revolved around why his friend shouldn't go to the pizza shop tonight.

In worst case scenarios, it would manifest as basically anxiety issues when faced with new situations, and important, new information would just about send the Si type crashing to the floor as their whole world falls apart – however I don't for a second believe this is the life they live, so to speak, rather it's how they act under immense amounts of stress.

I believe inferior functions creep into every day life, all the time, and that they can be absolutely nowhere near as bad as the descriptors make out.

---

Here are a couple of snippets from Si users, with regards to what goes on in their head:

Generally, I’m remembering things that have happened recently. Sort of replaying things in my mind. Conversations, people’s reactions, just things like that. Things seem to strike me funny/ridiculous all the time, so I’ll be walking along smiling to myself about some memory. i’ve had coworkers ask what I’m thinking about before...they say I look like I have a secret.
Angry rants, fake fights, reliving cringey moments, songs stuck on a loop...

Keen to hear everyones thoughts, especially interested in bonafide Si dominants!

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I do believe the general motto, for Si, would be “if it ain't broke, don't fix it” however it's critical.. absolutely critical.. to understand this is entirely subjective – what works for someone else – what works for society as a whole – may or may not be aligned with the Si types perceptions and therefore they may be seen as someone who goes against the grain, going directly against something that is proven to work – because things have to be proven to work, in the Si types own life, to be of any use or possess any kind of meaning, or provide any kind of impression.
I agree with this particular quote.

I am not sure if you are convinced I am a Si-dom, so I am not going to share my views for now. At any rate, great thread.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hm… So if I'm remembering correctly, on two different occasions you've thought I might be an Si-dom. Before I didn't think it was a possibility but now I'm considering it a little bit. There's probably still a moderately high likelihood that I'm not one of the Si-doms you want for this. I'm not really sure what to make of what you're defining as being Si-dom here, if I relate to it or not. For now I'm just going to comment a little bit on the Ne part just because I'm too long-winded to do it all at once.

I like the idea of inferior Ne that you have.

Maybe it could be related to my younger self's supposed love for horror. I say supposed because I'd feel a bit like a fraud for saying I was such a lover of the genre when really I just got into watching a lot of horror playthroughs while playing horror games was the big thing on YouTube and I wasn't some huge aficionado or expert on the genre as a whole. Though games do seem like the best medium for a genre meant to scare, considering their interactivity. I remember favorites of mine were Alien Isolation and Slenderman - the latter because other video game monsters would stay stuck in their games, but not that one. That one actually seemed to follow me and creep into my mind in real life.

Or to how I've had an interest in Lynch before… Though I know people seem to associate anything Lynchian with Ni and I'm not really saying they're wrong or right, just simply stating that they often do. Quote from him below to help familiarize:

"I learned that just beneath the surface there's another world, and still different worlds as you dig deeper. I knew it as a kid, but I couldn't find the proof. It was just a kind of feeling. There is goodness in blue skies and flowers, but another force--a wild pain and decay--also accompanies everything."

I have an interest in something like that. Shadiness and hints of something corrupting things draw me in. Faded glamour seems to interest me more than just glamour. Heck, even my username reflects this. Look up what Neptune symbolizes and you'll see words like: dreams, illusions, deception, magic (a form of deception), glamour (like in Hollywood, but think of just how dark Hollywood can be at times), drugs and addiction in general, unconditional love (which can be taken advantage of if given to the wrong person or if manifesting in being overly forgiving), identity issues, martyrdom… Neptune symbolically is considered to be the higher octave of Venus, but often I would hear little positive about Neptune and love. Usually it would just be associated with unrequited love, tragedy, heartbreak, abuse. I think if you were to personify this symbol into a person, they would be the perfect abuse victim.

But anyway, I'm probably starting to sound a little nuts so let's move on from that… I do have one final example of what could potentially be Inferior Ne-ish (by this definition) about me. I have presented myself as being very people-oriented, but if anything, it seems that it's dysfunctional people that I know best and that interest me the most. When it comes to people, particularly those that aren't in my circle or known to me, I can be slow to warm up to them and tend to find faults more often than I find anything else. This, in part, is a precaution. It's "I'm going to be wary of them just in case they turn out to be bad news so I won't have to feel like a sucker later or get hit by some other kind of negative consequences".

I tend to more readily believe in negative press or the potential for something negative being hidden away somewhere. I'll look for the bad parts and if I can't find anything peeking out from underneath the rug, then I'm happy.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
@Turi Could you explain more about what an impression is? People have thoughts and feelings about objects all the time, how can I know which ones are Si impressions and which ones are just any other kind of thought?

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
@Turi Could you explain more about what an impression is? People have thoughts and feelings about objects all the time, how can I know which ones are Si impressions and which ones are just any other kind of thought?
My interpretation is that an impression is immediate, really fast. It is what the name implies, your impression about an object. Such impression is then filtered, forming thoughts and feelings on it. But I am not Turi, so feel free to ignore this.

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,557 Posts
@Turi
You can clearly see how the above links into the example I provided with the root beer – in focusing on her own sense impression, rather than the object itself, the wife slathers the root beer in meaning – it becomes something more than a can of drink – it becomes a nice gesture, an object that brings pleasure and appreciation, a part of a moment the two will share – this is potential, this is a clear combination of reaching into the past (knowing the husband likes root beer) and glancing at the shimmer of events still unborn – reaching into the future.
Yes, this is why Si doms trust their experience. They've already made predictions based on the "line of best fit". This is how Si doms use their experience to predict the future. Perhaps it's similar to the process of how Ni doms predict the future, but the Ni doms process will be much hazier, not as conscious, and much less detailed.

Now consider any other drinks that might have been next to the root beer – where are they? Non-existent. They are not a part of the sensing impression that is received. They are not a part of the past, present nor future to the Si dominant. They mean nothing.
They're not good, they're not bad, they're neutral or non-existent. They may as well not even be there, to the Si type.
I, personally, have tunnel vision (hate it). Not sure if this is an Si dom thing though. It might just be something pertaining to attention deficiency (ie not able to easily notice all the sodas, the chips behind it, the straws next to it, ect). Or it could be something Si doms have in common...I would like to hear other Si doms thoughts on your post as well.

The manner in which Si excludes information, is intentional – consider it a defence mechanism of sorts – it excludes other information to protect itself against being overwhelmed by sensory impressions. Can you imagine having the same subjective impressions and imagery from the root beer example, arise constantly, from everything you perceive?
Your mind would explode, you would go insane.
I feel this is important. It speaks to the way Si doms gather information from the outside world. They're gathering as much as Se doms (theoretically), but they're not conscious of all of it. Only placing importance on certain, specific experiences (or else it would be too much to handle - that's a possibility). Perhaps Se doms are able to take in everything at once because they just physically can, however in return, they don't have personal impression for everything. It wouldn't be possible, but the difference here is that they don't care to try to do it, unlike the Si dom. It's not their natural instinct.

Ergo, in this respect, Si is very focused on information it deems important, or to possess meaning of some sort, and meets other information with neutrality and disregard – this feeds into the detail-oriented stereotypes, in a way, however Si types aren't observant to any and all details and facts they come across – mostly the ones perceived via their subjective impressions, pertaining to things that pique their interest.
I believe this cherry picking for, for an ISTJ specifically, is attributable to dom Si, aux Te. Te is trying to categorize and do clean up duty for the information Si has gathered. ISTJs tend to have a very logical, categorical way of looking at things. It's their natural disposition to want to categorize and narrow things down, vs. expanding on them unnecessarily, which pretty much defeats the purpose.

On the other hand, they might dismiss the idea altogether and think their parent is a dickhead for even suggesting this idea – they might then grow up, and have this impression in their head, that people who try to stop their kids from playing video games past 8pm are dickheads.
Important to note this, all. Traditional in the Si dom's sense doesn't mean those stereotypes where the Si dom is a stick in the mud that can't get with the new age. Not at all. It could manifest in ways such as the above example, where it seems really anti-tradition but actually, it has now become the Si dom's personal tradition. Also, this decision involves all the other functions as well (inclusive of Fi).

This manifests, according to Naomi Quenk – as noticing negative possibilities about new situations and new ideas, a focus on the worst case scenarios even with regards to non-stressful situations – this can look like being a worrier.. being hesitant about possibilities that haven't been incorporated into your own Si 'tried and true' list of predictability – if the Si type is unsure about something, they will take a negative stance towards it – I.e “I'm going to get some pizza, you in?” “No, it'll be way too busy tonight, fuck that – just get something from the supermarket instead.. with the footy final on you got no chance man” - since the Si type here doesn't know for a fact how things are at the pizza shop, they take a negative stance.
Yup, if there's anything I can testify to in my function stack, it's that inferior Ne. I don't use it the way an Ne dom/aux user would. I use it in the way to imagine 100 terrible scenarios that can arise from one situation, because of X, Y and Z reason. It's not at all relatable to Ne in the dom/aux positions and that's kind of the beauty of it, because logically, 100 wonderful possibilities could happen, but my mind naturally chooses to think of the bad possibilities - beyond my conscious effort. Over the years, I've tried to balance this inferior Ne out with keeping things positive, but even then, it's a struggle...something that highlights the ISTJ's natural inferior Ne usage.

In worst case scenarios, it would manifest as basically anxiety issues when faced with new situations, and important, new information would just about send the Si type crashing to the floor as their whole world falls apart – however I don't for a second believe this is the life they live, so to speak, rather it's how they act under immense amounts of stress.
Totally. Give me a situation I know inside out, and life's a peach. I can tackle that shit to the ground and make it my bitch. However, give me a new situation without concrete, literal instructions and I'll be a nervous wreck. Eventually, I'll learn how to do it and the cycle begins all over again.

Generally, I’m remembering things that have happened recently. Sort of replaying things in my mind. Conversations, people’s reactions, just things like that. Things seem to strike me funny/ridiculous all the time, so I’ll be walking along smiling to myself about some memory. i’ve had coworkers ask what I’m thinking about before...they say I look like I have a secret.
Yup, people have literally asked me why I laugh out of nowhere before. Or why I just stare into space and start feeling sad. I can't help it, when I remember those things like a joke someone made, the laughs just come bursting out. Does that happen to anyone else that isn't Si dom? I guess this is an example of reliving the memory.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The feelings/thoughts about the objects are the sensory impressions I'm talking about.

Not everybody is primarily focused on this - that's what makes Si, Si.

Straight from Google, an impression is:

an idea, feeling, or opinion about something or someone, especially one formed without conscious thought or on the basis of little evidence.
If this is where your thoughts are when observing things rather than observing the reality of the something/someone, then you're preferring Si.

Si types don't think to themselves for example, that they're going to think about how something makes them feel by default rather they immediately are there and perceiving this.

i.e the wife isn't going to see the root beer and think about thinking about how that scenario will play out, she just immediately envisions it.

Sensory impressions can come from your five senses as well as internal changes i.e vasomotor sensation, kinaesthetic sensation, somatosensory sensation etc etc

I realise we all sense things in this fashion, we all possess Si - but if your thoughts, most of the time, are focused on how you personally perceive things (the impression you get).. then you're preferring Si.

For instance.. something like stubbing your toe unexpectedly will snap most people into Si - their focus will shift from wherever it was, to their own sensory impressions regarding the pain etc - Si will be the part that is thinking about how much it hurts, or didn't hurt, compared to other times you've experienced pain perhaps - might even bring to mind an event from years ago of someone else getting their toe Wr3cKeD son, who knows - but the point is that the focus is on theit own subjective impressions - focus is not on the object itself i.e the toe.

For some people it is - they might stub it and start looking at the toe, assessing the damage - noticing it's smashed in the part that always gets ingrown etc etc focus on the object itself - these are Se thoughts, imo.

I also believe Si is linked to other forms of perception via these impressions ala déjà vu or déjà entendu etc etc.

Hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
This is hilarious. @Turi is idealizing and glamorizing Si to the point where numerous members are changing their types to ISxJ now. Way to go, Turi! I think this is a narcissistic, psychological experiment from Turi to document and detail the power of his voice in persuading others to follow his romanticized versions of cognitive functions. He's feeding off the power of manipulating the functions, watching behind his computer with his hands before his face, his fingers tapping one another, as his glorified version of Si becomes sought after. We had Ni before, now Si, so Ti will come next. Be ready for some new IxTPs in the future.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
This is hilarious. @Turi is idealizing and glamorizing Si to the point where numerous members are changing their types to ISxJ now. Way to go, Turi! I think this is a narcissistic, psychological experiment from Turi to document and detail the power of his voice in persuading others to follow his romanticized versions of cognitive functions. He's feeding off the power of manipulating the functions, watching behind his computer with his hands before his face, his fingers tapping one another, as his glorified version of Si becomes sought after. We had Ni before, now Si, so Ti will come next. Be ready for some new IxTPs in the future.
Yup. Changed my type to ISTJ because of Turi's posts. I just can't resist his charms.

·
Registered
385 Posts
He'd deserve an award if he somehow managed to convince me I was a Ti-dom. There are some things I might consider but considering being anything but a feeler is not one of them. But I bet some people would be satisfied if he decided to do that next since I've seen a user one or two suggest they think he's actually an IxTP.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure how you got there, I'm just chipping in my 2p on how I see the functions, and attempting to separate them from some really atrocious stereotypes.

·
Registered
648 Posts
This is confusing me on the difference between Ni and Si because some of the stuff I’m reading is what I thought Ni was.

I assumed that if you looked at an object and immediately got an idea from it you’re tapping into intuition, but you’re saying this is introverted Sensing. This is really confusing.

·
Registered
648 Posts
If I’m look at a selection of sodas and I imagine in my mind how each of them will taste, but I have no consciousness of experiences with these sodas and I am making this decision in the moment and therefore I feel indecisive about it because they all feel like they would taste so good, that would not be Si correct? And if it isn’t then what is that

·
Registered
648 Posts
Now let’s say I made a decision and I went with Pepsi because I just know that this will go best with the pizza I just ordered, and again I have atratchement to Pepsi in general. This is a momentary decision void of experience.. what functions are those

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
If I’m look at a selection of sodas and I imagine in my mind how each of them will taste, but I have no consciousness of experiences with these sodas and I am making this decision in the moment and therefore I feel indecisive about it because they all feel like they would taste so good, that would not be Si correct? And if it isn’t then what is that
I think a Si-dom could look at the sodas and wonder how they taste, comparing her impression with the impressions she has stored of sodas she experienced in the past — if any. In the case she of this Si-dom never having experienced soda in the past, she could make a connection with any other drink she experienced. "This soda is green, just like the green tea I love. Maybe I should try it". Or even, "I remember my friend ordering this kind of soda that day, I am buying this one".

Just throwing out ideas.

What you described is very future oriented, more like Ni or Ne. I am not going to pretend that I understand Ni, though.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
The feelings/thoughts about the objects are the sensory impressions I'm talking about. Not everybody is primarily focused on this - that's what makes Si, Si. Straight from Google, an impression is: If this is where your thoughts are when observing things rather than observing the reality of the something/someone, then you're preferring Si. Si types don't think to themselves for example, that they're going to think about how something makes them feel by default rather they immediately are there and perceiving this. i.e the wife isn't going to see the root beer and think about thinking about how that scenario will play out, she just immediately envisions it. Sensory impressions can come from your five senses as well as internal changes i.e vasomotor sensation, kinaesthetic sensation, somatosensory sensation etc etc I realise we all sense things in this fashion, we all possess Si - but if your thoughts, most of the time, are focused on how you personally perceive things (the impression you get).. then you're preferring Si. For instance.. something like stubbing your toe unexpectedly will snap most people into Si - their focus will shift from wherever it was, to their own sensory impressions regarding the pain etc - Si will be the part that is thinking about how much it hurts, or didn't hurt, compared to other times you've experienced pain perhaps - might even bring to mind an event from years ago of someone else getting their toe Wr3cKeD son, who knows - but the point is that the focus is on theit own subjective impressions - focus is not on the object itself i.e the toe. For some people it is - they might stub it and start looking at the toe, assessing the damage - noticing it's smashed in the part that always gets ingrown etc etc focus on the object itself - these are Se thoughts, imo. I also believe Si is linked to other forms of perception via these impressions ala déjà vu or déjà entendu etc etc. Hope this helps a bit.
I'm still not sure if I'm understanding what you mean. Surely not all automatic thoughts/feelings/impressions about objects can be Si. Doesn't every function work in this way? Intuition for example sees an object and immediately perceives something else, such as its potential or possibilities. What makes the root beer example an Si impression rather than Intuitive perception of the potential of the root beer? Feeling might look at an object and immediately think that someone they know values that type of thing and would be happy to receive it as a gift. What makes the root beer example an Si impression rather than a Feeling judgment about its value? I am not sure if this concept of 'impression' is categorically distinct from other functions.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is confusing me on the difference between Ni and Si because some of the stuff I’m reading is what I thought Ni was.

I assumed that if you looked at an object and immediately got an idea from it you’re tapping into intuition, but you’re saying this is introverted Sensing. This is really confusing.
Focusing on your own subjective impressions of an object has nothing to do with intuition imo.
This is half the reason I made this post, the general understanding of Ni and Si are massively warped and mangled, and Si is the general 'intuitive' function, when you think about how it works.

For example, I see auras - less now than when I was a kid, I experience deja vu all the time, I get hunches and just 'know' things, all day - I'm fully aware of the 'big picture' and can easily see how things will play out, and I'm big on interpreting and analysing dreams and acting on my interpretations.

All of this sounds like generic Ni crap but when I break it down, it's not, I'll try to explain some of them.

Re: auras - this is clearly me focusing on my own subjective impressions of a person and how I perceive them to be, rather than a focus on the person themselves - this subjective impression is so powerful to me, I literally see colours around people and pretty much judge them according to these auras.

Deja vu - I covered this in my last Si thread, but basically - I see this as occurring when something triggers a past impression, and then that impression is overlayed with the present moment, to make me feel like I've "been here before", so, it's coming from Si, rather than anything to do with Ni.

Hunches and knowing how things will play out - kinda covered that in this thread, but Si immediately sees how things were, are and will therefore be instantly - Si predicts the future according to how it's own impressions of how things should be, basically - and this plays out as a mental image in some folks - I've gathered a fair bit of supporting 'evidence' for this from other places I've posted this up, from Si doms - they just 'know' things in the same sense Ni users do.

It's spawned from their Si recalling their own subjective experiences and instantaneously applying the past to the present, which then obviously becomes a form of predicting the future - I believe this happens, immediately, a lot of the time - though of course some Si types might intentionally think about how things were and then decide logically how things will play out in the future but I've got this feeling that this might be how Si could manifest in the auxiliary position, as in, it's something those Si types might choose to 'do' more often than the dominants, because the dominants live their life in this mode and don't need to 'choose' to do it.. if that makes sense.

The big picture.. is evidenced in the quote from Jung, in that Si sees the world essentially as a million year old man, immediately seeing how things were, are and will be. If this isn't something that is directly related to seeing the 'big picture', I don't know what is.

The dreams thing, well I'm iffy on this, I feel like perhaps I'm using a combination of Si and inferior Ne in order to do this - because I mean the interpretations I come up with do tend to be negativist.
I feel it's more closely associated with Si, in that the meanings I derive tend to be extracted from past experiences and become things that I will experience in the future.

A quick example would be that last night, I dreamt I was running away from the Grim Reaper and started having breathing issues, eventually the Grim Reaper caught me and basically just let me go - I don't remember anything else.
I would interpret this, as being related to my job (again..) and the Grim Reaper basically being the job as a whole.. being let go, well, that might be obvious - perhaps they're going to fire me soon - and perhaps they can clearly see the anxiety and issues I try so hard to hide, when working.

You can see how my interpretation has a clear foundation in the past (and future).
Eh. I'm not positive with the dreams. It just 'feels' like Si.

·
Registered
648 Posts
@Turi this is my issue . you’re not making enough of a distinction between Ni and Si. Your while mission is to demystify Ni but in the process you’re mystifying Si and it’s making things muddled. Try to compare and contrast the 2 side by side so we can be clearer. I get it that Si is more abstract than we all think but tell us the abstraction of Ni vs the abstraction of Si side by side so we can know the difference once and for all

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This could honestly be any perceptive function and that's the beauty of them.
It could be Se-Ni in that you know how an orange tastes, right, so you could perhaps sense how the drink you've never tasted, might taste just from observing the flavours (which you might not even be aware of if Ni-Se - Ni-Se isn't attentive to details, you may very well have read that the flavours are "orange, mango and apple" or some shit - and not realised - Se picks it up, but due to a preference for Ni, you're not focused on this even though your brain literally knows what flavours are in it, below your level of perception).

It could absolutely be Si as well, if something about the them is giving you providing you with an impression, though I would suggest thoughts regarding what something tastes like, would be more along the lines of Se.

Now let’s say I made a decision and I went with Pepsi because I just know that this will go best with the pizza I just ordered, and again I have atratchement to Pepsi in general. This is a momentary decision void of experience.. what functions are those
This is definitely Si - predictable standard.
There's no point shifting from Pepsi with pizza, because, it works - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm not suggesting you prefer Si over any other function, I believe we all use all of the functions, every day.
I'm the same, but with Coke. I mean getting an orange soda with your pizza sounds weird, right?
Predictable standard.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm still not sure if I'm understanding what you mean. Surely not all automatic thoughts/feelings/impressions about objects can be Si. Doesn't every function work in this way? Intuition for example sees an object and immediately perceives something else, such as its potential or possibilities. What makes the root beer example an Si impression rather than Intuitive perception of the potential of the root beer? Feeling might look at an object and immediately think that someone they know values that type of thing and would be happy to receive it as a gift. What makes the root beer example an Si impression rather than a Feeling judgment about its value? I am not sure if this concept of 'impression' is categorically distinct from other functions.
The root beer example is Si, as the impression perceived is related to the object - i.e a focus on what is, a focus on what it means to you, what it could be, etc.

Ni doesn't focus on the object itself, it doesn't derive subjective impressions in the fashion that Si does, it's a present-based function concerned with what isn't - Ni might see the root beer, and it might spur some seemingly unrelated imagery in the Ni users head immediately - maybe they see it and something clicks in their head with regards to a song they're writing - no root beer involved in their mindset at this point.

However, there is, really, you just have to work backwards - i.e, writing a song? playing guitar? playing music? pub? pubs have beer. root beer.

So there is a direct connection between the Ni thoughts, and what they are currently experiencing, however they focus on what 'isn't', rather than what 'is', and what 'is' in this occasion, is the root beer.

We all possess Ni. Every one of us. I'm willing to bet we can all put our hands up, and say we do that kind of thing, maybe on a daily basis.
But is it your preferred way of receiving information? Well that's for you to decide for yourself.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts