Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any introverts feel that it's an extrovert's world?
I feel that I have to pretend to be extroverted to get anywhere in life. Even to the point where I feel people would like me more if I wasn't so introverted. I feel that I am often forgotten. You could argue that that is my fault for not being so noticeable, but I often feel that I am forgotten on purpose because I'm so introverted that it's easier not to deal with me.
Any introverts feel the same?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Oh yes I feel the same way! My best friend is very extroverted and she, in particular, is always saying "Why are you so weird and shy?". I do feel like introversion is looked at as a negative thing. I am often misunderstood.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yep, definitely agree with you there. I often put on a mask of extroversion when I'm at school, with my friends, and what not. When I'm myself, all too often am I treated unfairly and sometimes even convicted of being arrogant, weird, etc. *sigh*

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
^ You and every other INTP.
I have an extreme amount of I. The world is extraverted. I sometimes act like an E. When I do, I think I act like an ass, but it turns out other people prefer me like that. Being an introvert is a sure way to get your life turned into hell.

·
Registered
523 Posts
It is an extrovert world out there; the majority are extroverts, after all.

I have felt like this pretty much always. Most of them time, upon coming home from school, I'd shut myself in my room, because I'd had enough of people while at school. This lead to me being accused of being anti-social a lot (by my mother).

Now, though, I've found a place that's full of introverts, for some reason. So when I say "I'll just go stay in my room a bit," nobody bats an eyelid. It's nice. I feel all accepted and stuff.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PC is the only place where I am myself. In real life I act like an extrovert. If my friends were to describe me they wouldn't use the word shy. I'm actually painfully shy, to the point where if I have to much attention, too many pairs of eyes on me...I could burst into tears.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
I feel that I have to pretend to be extroverted to get anywhere in life. Even to the point where I feel people would like me more if I wasn't so introverted. I feel that I am often forgotten. You could argue that that is my fault for not being so noticeable, but I often feel that I am forgotten on purpose because I'm so introverted that it's easier not to deal with me.
I feel on a grand scale that, yes, the world is grounded by many more extroverts than introverts. However, that doesn't mean I have to be. Pretty much all of my friends are introverts, and I like it better that way. Though even if they were extroverts, that wouldn't change how I react to them. I choose to act how I do by choice, not because I feel obligated to speak faster than the 130 word per minute extrovert. The way I see it, if they really consider themselves my friend, then they'd respect my need for personal space and to come across as weird at times, whether extroverted or not. In fact, I think you'd be surprised how too often extroverts have a desire to cool things down at times. When it comes down to things I think people mainly want to get along and be at peace with other people. People want to be with you in the first place because there's something about how you react to them which appeals to them. So I'd like you to experiment a bit. Maybe next time you see them, try not to come across as extroverted as you usually do to the point where it's not noticeably different. Then gradually through the course of a week to two weeks or however long you feel comfortable, take the form of your true self. And don't sweat it if your extroverted friends poke at you for being more quiet than usual. This is a test of your happiness to find what's right for you. You never know, there may some of your apparent extroverted friends who like being around introverts more than you think and wish they had more of that introverted way about them. Also, try to explain to them, preferably one at a time, how you feel at the present moment. It'll help them understand why there's a shift in your behavior toward them, and won't cause them to think you're just paranoid around them. Overall, be yourself and act how you would naturally act around them without the need to come across as extroverted. Hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used to fight against my true self. It took several years of learning about me and what I liked about me to stop trying to be someone else, an extrovert.

I found my place in this world: words. I love word games and writing. I love spending time by myself. One of the requirements I had when my hubby and I purchased a new house was a private office for me. Now I have two private rooms. Although, sometimes I share my office with my hubby, most of the time it's all mine. My other room I'm making into an artist studio. It's already my private exercise room.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I LOVE word games too! Years ago I wrote logic puzzles for Penny Press magazine. It was a hoot.I was an introvert then, and very shy with the environment around raising my children with teachers et al. Later I was forced into fast-paced work dealing with the public selling cell phones. I would go home exhausted for years. Then after changing my lifestyle, I became an extrovert. I really look forward to going out for coffee with my friends and belong to several choirs. I still like to do puzzles of all sorts, but now it is on electronic devices that are a bit harder to doodle on, so that has curbed my urges to create HA! It is SO interesting to get such different results from different web sites on this Briggs and Stratton testing. However, they all agree that I am varying degrees of NFP, whether it be ENFP or INFP! The one site said I was an INFP-T and I still haven't found out what that means.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think we definitely do have our own place in the world, it's just not the traditionally limelight-y one most of the time. We're stellar seconds in command, but maybe don't carry a leader's charisma as easily as an extrovert would. But I also think that a lot of the time an introvert can totally be successful at an extroverts job. Heck, we might be better at it due to our tendency to reflect and carefully think about everything we do before we do it! We'd just have to work at it more, to fight that little voice in our heads that keeps saying "no...back to bed..." whenever we try to drag our feet out the door :)

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I think we definitely do have our own place in the world, it's just not the traditionally limelight-y one most of the time. We're stellar seconds in command, but maybe don't carry a leader's charisma as easily as an extrovert would. But I also think that a lot of the time an introvert can totally be successful at an extroverts job. Heck, we might be better at it due to our tendency to reflect and carefully think about everything we do before we do it! We'd just have to work at it more, to fight that little voice in our heads that keeps saying "no...back to bed..." whenever we try to drag our feet out the door :)
I've been saying exactly this for a while now. Amazing things can happen when an I/E team forms that trusts and respects each others strengths and compliments each others shortfalls. I've been fortunate to have found that kind of teammate three different times in my now lengthy career. I love being the "trusted #2".

·
Registered
118 Posts
Introvert has only a bad side
Extrovert has good and bad sides
...is what I've noticed
Out of curiosity, what have you noticed that makes you say this? I can see how people in certain extrovert-friendly careers could feel this way.
In general though, I stand by my opinion that no one type is better or worse than another. We tend to forget too often that even though all snowflakes are unique, they are all still snowflakes...

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Yep, I can relate. Almost everywhere you go, no matter the context, you're always made to feel bad for not being an extrovert - as if you're "abnormal" or there's something wrong with you.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts

Limitations doesn't exist in this world, it only exist in one's mind.

We can't change our introversion, but we can change the way we look at things, no? People can dislike us, but we can always choose not to let it affect us.

And why pretend to be extroverts? If people doesn't like you for who you are, then they aren't worth knowing anyway. The thing about pretending to be extroverts is that people will end up liking the fake us instead of the real us. They don't really like us for who we are, but instead, they like our masks. So is it still worth pretending? I actually think that we should be our true selves at all times, and if people doesn't like us for who are, then good riddance! We managed to figure out who isn't worthy of our efforts, and then from there, we eliminate those people from our lives and focus our energy on quality people.

Now the thing is, no matter what we do, there will always be some people who like us, and some people who dislike us. But whether they like or dislike us doesn't define who we are, it only defines their perception of us, and most of the time, their perception of us tend to be inaccurate anyway, considering that most humans have a multifaceted personality and what we see isn't always what we get.

And also, I wanna clarify here that introversion is different from being shy/anxious in social situations. A person can be introverted yet extremely outgoing and charismatic in social situations. What makes them introverted however is that they tend to focus most of their attention in their internal world and they tend to derive their energy from their internal world rather than their external world.

Reactions: einna123
1 - 20 of 29 Posts