Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a little bit in the book The Man Who Lied to His Computer and was finding the studies and experiments in it rather fascinating, until one particular paragraph pertaining to introverts filled me with rage. I'll include the preceding paragraph for context.

People with dominant personalities write descriptions with confident assertions and rich detail, and friendly people refer to themselves and others with phrases such as “I am sure you will like this.” Thus, an extrovert (a dominant and friendly personality) might describe a lamp on eBay as follows:
This is a reproduction of one of the most famous of the Tiffany stained-glass pieces—the colors are absolutely sensational! This first-class, handmade copper-foiled stained-glass shade is over six and one-half inches in diameter and over five inches tall. I am sure that this gorgeous lamp will accent any environment and bring a classic touch of the past to a stylish present. It is guaranteed to be in excellent condition! I very highly recommend it.

Introverts’ descriptions look completely different. Showing their submissive side, their descriptions tend to say as little as possible. They also tend to avoid descriptive language, instead primarily using nouns and verbs. Even when presenting the facts, introverts take a tentative tone, as they lack confidence. Manifesting their coldness, introverts prefer to talk about things rather than people and keep themselves, their feelings, and their audience out of the conversation. An introvert might describe the same lamp as follows:
This is a reproduction of a Tiffany stained-glass piece. The colors are quite rich. The handmade copper-foiled stained-glass shade is about six and one-half inches in diameter and five inches tall.
thoughts?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
That is interesting. I think the writer of that paragraph is making very broad generalizations that I do not agree with. A skilled writer would use skilled descriptors; regardless of personality. I would agree that an extrovert would likely make more assumptions in their writings such as, 'I am sure you will like this', but I have used the same sentence b4.

I would guess the writer chose an extreme and often inaccurate example to illustrate the differences between expression in writing.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
He probably means people with introverted behavior. Introversion in the MBTI is about the main source of information that the brain prefers to use, not about behaviour.

Though there is a relation between the MBTI and behavior, it's not the same thing.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I don't know--this is what he wrote about introverts and extroverts:

People use literally hundreds of terms to casually refer to personality: type A, easygoing, charismatic, adventurous, self-centered, “wild and crazy,” and so on. However, social scientists have found that out of all of these, only two critical distinctions determine how people interact with each other (the vast majority of the other traits describe how people approach life in isolation). As a result, you need only two questions to characterize and guide your interactions with any person.
The first question is whether someone is extroverted or introverted. Extroverts become engaged and excited by other people, especially getting energy from large groups. The “life of the party,” extroverts don’t wait for conversations to start: they initiate them and keep them going. At work, extroverts prefer group projects to individual assignments and like interacting with clients rather than with data. On teams, an extrovert pays attention to other individuals and takes their feelings into account. They enjoy jobs that encourage bold and quick decision making. As managers, they are charismatic, energizing their team with their words and actions.
In contrast, introverts prefer “alone time” to socializing with others. Private activities such as daydreaming and reading invigorate them, while it drains them to interact with people. Introverts listen more than they talk in a conversation, taking time to think before they respond and developing their ideas by reflecting privately. In the office, introverts prefer working alone and being responsible for things and information rather than people. Introverts can more readily focus their attention and keep it focused, contemplating all angles of a problem. They dislike jobs that require decision making, especially decisions they must make without full information. As managers, they tend to direct people “by the numbers” and treat all of their subordinates equally.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have to say, I see no further than a shallow stereotypical analysis in the excerpts. Extroverts definitely have a different style of communication from introverts, often more energetic, personal and engaging, but to say that introverts, who usually aren't as emphatic on those traits, are submissive and/or lacking confidence is oversimplified and, quite frankly, rather amateur. I don't actually think I have to point it out, as it is clear from the whole paragraph, but the example provided is clearly biased.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
I don't know--this is what he wrote about introverts and extroverts:
He obviously has no clue what he is talking about. Reading that description, Extroverts are Feelers and Introverts are Thinkers. If he's got nothing else to say, better throw that book in a fire.

·
Registered
457 Posts
This is the kind of thing that makes me wish I could punch people in the face through the internet.

·
Registered
826 Posts
haha, introverts suck. i certainly feel it was accurate and good. introverts are weirder than extroverts, that's how you know who is who(and not weird in a good way, but an uncomfortable/creepy way). at least that is what i sometimes believe extroverts think of introverts. it's like i know now a bit about how it feels to be black or gay.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Meh... Whatever. Sounds like an over-generalization on the basis that shyness = introvert. No need to get too worked up over it. I was a bit flared when I first read it, but because the correlation was wrong.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I'm just getting the most vivid mental image of a submissive INTJ :crazy:. Ah! The power of imagination!
I can imagine it too:

"Pu- pu- pu- please don't say things that don't make sense... I worry sometimes that secretly I'm not the shit... Q_Q"

For some reason I can't imagine an INTJ crying because they don't, they Q_Q on their keyboards instead. :crazy:

Sorry INTJs just havin' a spot o' fun. I love you guys.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with Monsteroids, what the author is talking about is shyness (though even then its accuracy is lacking), not introversion, it's just a matter of incorrect word usage, one which unfortunately is common.

Extroversion vs. introversion also has nothing to do with attention to detail vs. lack of attention to detail, even whether someone is shy or not has nothing to do whether they will write something rich in detail, so I find that to be a very odd claim.
Same deal with the claim that introverts will be less descriptive in their writing, I might buy that if the claim was that introverts use less words when speaking, but not so in their writing.

That said I've known some very very insecure extroverts, but instead of manifesting coldness they manifest a desperate neediness for attention, and some can be manipulative in rather nasty ways.
This paragraph is pretty much saying "this type is good, and this type is bad" but things aren't that simple, any type can have individuals that manifest negative traits.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
A submissive INTJ afraid of making decisions? Afraid to commit to anything, including descriptive words? Hah!

I can think of plenty of descriptive words to describe that author, and I'm committed to them. They're really impolite so I shall refrain from expressing them. That's probably what has that author confused. When introverted types think someone is an idiot we generally keep our thoughts to ourselves, and hope he will go away soon. If he doesn't, we leave.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts