Personality Cafe banner

What do you like best cellphone or email?

• Introvert who likes cellphones best

Votes: 53 25.5%
  • Introvert who likes email best

Votes: 115 55.3%
  • Extrovert who likes cellphones best

Votes: 20 9.6%
  • Extrovert who likes email best

Votes: 20 9.6%
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I can't stand using the cell phone. Really. I pick up the phone about once every ten calls I receive. I just hate it. I've had this phone for over a year which is about 8,760 hours, and my total calls[received, dialed, etc] is a little under 40 hours. My ESTJ sister literally burns through 40 hours in less than two weeks easily. I don't even really like emails. I'd prefer text messages.

I think I don't like the cell phone for many reasons which I can't even think of, but one that comes to mind right now is that I don't feel like I give the person I'm talking to 100% of my attention. With computers, music, instruments, or walls around me, it's hard for me to focus on what they are saying without dazing off. I also dislike how I cannot see a person's face when I am speaking to them. That irks me more than the attention problem.

Everyone thinks I ignore them too.. just because I never pick up. It's annoying.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Everyone thinks I ignore them too.. just because I never pick up. It's annoying.
To solve this problem I got rid of my cell phone. I just tell people "you have to email me" -- I rather like email though-- when I'm ready I can write a good response and get it done. People who call me want to talk for too long-- and I just want to hang up... but that is rude... ugh.

·
mafia mod
13,335 Posts
There was no option for good old fashioned landlines, which I prefer. I like to talk to people, I prefer the spontaneous interactions, but not be available 24/7, which the landlines allow. I find email too impersonal and people will say things in an email which the wouldnt dare say on the phone or face to face communicaton.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I find email too impersonal and people will say things in an email which the wouldnt dare say on the phone or face to face communicaton.
This can be a good thing though-- since people can be more direct and less "fake" -- you don't need to think "what are they *really* saying. Though if I must use a phone it's always a land line. But it takes a lot for me to get ready to pick up the phone. I get really tense when I'm dialing.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
I very much enjoy my cell phone because I desire the ability to have instant communication with anyone I require at any time. But I hate talking on the phone. I like to get to the point in phone calls but nobody else seems to want to. I prefer text messaging, and ignore most phone calls. I don't trade emails with anyone. My emails are strictly for school, business, and receiving emails from websites. That's it.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Extrovert here who hates talking on the phone, period. Text messenging, MSN, Email. Love them.

I love my phone too because it does more than just talk and text.

Edit: My ENFJ sister also hates talking on the phone. Texting is more her speciality. Like texting over 2000 messages a month... I only text 500 at the most.

·
Registered
587 Posts
My preference is face to face conversation with the wonderful ability to cue in on all that non-verbal communication which is sorely missing from phoning (whether landline or cell), emailing and texting...

We have so many other senses (visual, olfactory, touching) that provide us with valuable information when communicating thoughts, feelings and the expression of our humanity...I sorely feel the gaps in the current modes of "modern" communication technology.:sad:

·
Registered
457 Posts
I hate cell phones because you can talk all the time:laughing:. At least with email, you can get your thoughts written down and make a decent message.

·
MOTM Nov 2009
4,132 Posts
I remember a topic such as this in my research of types on the internet. Although the phone/e-mail interaction survey was inconclusive (a lot of it amounted to simply arguing), I think there may be general motivations between these sorts of things. Although everyone is unique, I've seen many IT and ET types who prefer communication over text as it allows them to order their thoughts. In xxTPs, this can orient itself in being able to order their thoughts, and in xxTJs, this can orient itself in being able to communicate in the most direct way possible. I'm not sure what it all amounts to, but it's an interesting thought.

My preference is e-mail for the above TJ reasons.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I only like cell phone for pictures...other than that, I fucking hate cell phones.
I hate incoming calls...
I hate calling people...
I hate people running up my texting with nonsense...

Maybe I'm a defective extrovert....

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
I prefer cell phones because of the convenience, but only if the other people know that I hate actually talking on them. I only enjoy using my cell phone to text and go online, chat on MSN, etc. E-mail is so limited!

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I only like cell phone for pictures...other than that, I fucking hate cell phones.
I hate incoming calls...
I hate calling people...
I hate people running up my texting with nonsense...

Maybe I'm a defective extrovert....
So far a lot of ENTs feel this way.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I hardly use my cell phone to talk to my friends, it's all texting and I rather like texting sometimes because I dunno it's kind of hard to open up when I'm talking to people face to face.

Reactions: Grey

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I prefer email, text, and Facebook messages rather than calling people. I realized that really, the only person I call is is my sister. Otherwise, I talk to everybody else I know by Email, text, and Facebook.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
My preference is face to face conversation with the wonderful ability to cue in on all that non-verbal communication which is sorely missing from phoning (whether landline or cell), emailing and texting...

We have so many other senses (visual, olfactory, touching) that provide us with valuable information when communicating thoughts, feelings and the expression of our humanity...I sorely feel the gaps in the current modes of "modern" communication technology.:sad:
Yup, I much prefer face to face conversation over technology.

I don't really enjoy instant messaging, and especially phone calls, but I like video chat/webcam. I hate not being able to see the person and not being able to read the non verbal cues. It's torture!

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I hate the phone, period. I do not enjoy talking on the phone. It's a necessary evil that serves to make brief plans, take care of business, and maybe chat with a friend whom I cannot see in person. My preferred mode of conversation is face to face, with expressions, vocal tones, gestures, etc. Even moments of silence are less awkward than the phone, because you can focus on your surrounding, take a sip of your drink, exchange a look, whatever.

After in-person discussion, I like email and messages on networking sites (not comments). It allows you me to give some thought prior to responding, organize those thoughts, and it's at my convenience. I can do other things while responding (listen to music, download stuff, look up info to include in my email, etc). In some ways, this is better than in-person, especially when it comes to organizing my thoughts part.

The phone feels very demanding - you have to take it NOW and you don't know how much time it will suck, and you have to respond to any questions immediately, and it's hard to multi-task with it. The cell phone is worse, because it gives you no excuse to not answer a call or get back immediately. I used to call it my electronic leash.

IM and texting are only slightly less evil because more response time is allowed (it's not as awkward to let a little time pass before responding). I rarely am on AIM or MSN though - maybe twice a year. Texting annoys me when someone is trying to have a full conversation through it...I have an old phone, and it's not convenient for typing.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts