Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that I am far from alone and that the system is cancer but having to put up with discrimination on the job is just pushing it too far. Today that is exactly what I experienced by a manager who has it out for me and a older coworker who decided to stab me in the back for a mistake that he would have easily done himself but really the real reason for this is that I am a slower paced worker and that I don't run my mouth. I like to work at my own pace to avoid making mistakes and keep to myself, I am incredibly kind to everyone and I do my best to help out and stay out of the way but I can only put up with so much gas lighting for the smallest mistakes. It doesn't help that I am getting a nasty vibe that race is a part of this though it is not direct.

In short they are just trying to get rid of me by either forcing me to quit or write me up anyway they can so the higher ups have a reason to fire me. Back to looking for another job reeee! :frustrating:

·
Registered
235 Posts
At my last job I got along with everyone in different departments, even big bosses..all except for the coworkers I worked with, well 3 of them, if that makes sense. They were clearly jealous of me. It’s funny because I always felt ostracized by them too no matter how nice I was, they also said I was “too serious” and “couldn’t tell when I was joking”. Doesn’t matter, they won’t go very far and have no deep drive. They were immature and had their own little clique like they were in highschool again :rolleyes:

I quit for my own reasons but I wouldn’t go as far as to say that all introverts are discriminated at work, I was somewhat of a social butterfly there and I’m introverted to the very core. I’ll will say that everyone goes through toxic and phony people at work though. Good luck my brother.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Our HR manager said that studies have shown that interviewers think of extraverted personalities as more competent. So there is truth in it. Race (that doesn't exist scientifically btw but in the minds of ignorant people) will affect it all, unfortunately.

Keep it up, eventually you will find a job that values your personality. I know a foreign-born INFJ colleague of mine who they just made a manager because of his incredible people skills. Just find the right place.

9,999 Posts
I wasn't discriminated against, but set up my own company 10 years ago simply because it's better in every way. No people to deal with, better pay etc.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Our HR manager said that studies have shown that interviewers think of extraverted personalities as more competent. So there is truth in it.
tho I feel like those "extroverted personalities" prob refer more to steroetyped extroversion (being loud and dominant) rather than extroversion in terms of mbti/jung.

Also I feel like certain jobs are better suited for introverts and others for extroverts, so it's to be expected that the employers and co-workers are going to be looking for people with either Extrovete or introverted traits when they hire and put pressure on their employees/co-workers to have those traits.

I've worked as an engineer for a med device and pharmacuetical company and both those environemnts were very much geared towards introverts (large amounts of solitary work in cubicles) and SJs (lots of organizing and planning) .... horrible fit for me, I did not belong in those jobs.

I quit those jobs, I'm working now as a waiter and planning on teaching highschool science. Working in service industry and teaching are def jobs that I think are more geared towards extroverts. That doesn't mean that a introvert can't excel and be happy in those jobs, but those jobs are going to tend to be a more natural for extroverts and extroverted traits is what employees and co-workers are going to expect of you. .. and should expect of you.

I think whether a bias for a certain type is inappropriate in a workplace depends on the particular job and the extent to which they are biased towards a personality type. I mean if you want to hire someone to be a cop whose going to have to make quick decisions in spotaneous lifethreatening situations... you're probably going to be looking for people w/ E--P type personalities and discriminate against I--J personalities.... and that's not a bad thing because you want someone who naturally excels in being spontanous and reacting to their surroundings. That doesn't mean an I--J person can't be a good cop and they should be overly discriminant against them.. but I think some bias towards hiring an certain personality type(s) is appropriate in most jobs.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I’m sorry that happened to you Hobbit! For the record I find introverts extremely helpful in teams; during a club at school this year we could have lost a competition if it wasn’t for their insightful analyses that exposed our weaknesses.

I hope you find a better job soon Hobbit, you do have obvious strengths that your previous workplace didn’t take stock of.

·
Banned
5,496 Posts
Sad reality indeed. Pardon me for unsolicited advice but please do try to nurture some extroverso style in you. Every tiny bit will help.

It's marketing 101 actually since you can't avoid having to expose yourself or else you won't be recognized at all. Very sad world we live in, you got to play basketball everywhere: the best defense is offense. One can only wish that a moderated offense will suffice...

9,999 Posts
you can't avoid having to expose yourself or else you won't be recognized at all.
There are several fields where it is quite feasible to work as an independent contractor with very little need for interaction or people skills.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I wasn't discriminated against, but set up my own company 10 years ago simply because it's better in every way. No people to deal with, better pay etc.
If you don’t mind me asking Marvin, what kind of company have you set up? This seems off topic but I want to know how you successfully managed a company for 10 years. It’s quite impressive! I’m thinking of setting up my own one day as well; do you have any tips on leadership or any expertise you can share? Also, can you add how your introversion helped you in this process? By now I already know its cons, but a change in perspective in this matter would be very intriguing.

Reactions: Marvin the Dendroid
9,999 Posts
You are one blessed soul =)
I hope I'm not blowing any minds here, but lots of people work independently from home without needing to deal with the usual workplace issues. Translators, graphic designers, dropshippers, copywriters, content creators and managers, social media managers, programmers, Kindle authors and database managers are only some of the dozens, if not hundreds, of professions you can perfectly well manage alone from the quiet of your home without needing to deal with bosses, co-workers or any other social "perks" of your average workplace.

There are any number of legal frameworks available for independent contractors to organise their business. Some of the remote workers I've met were remote employees of traditional companies, others were dollar-chasing entrepreneurs à la Tim Ferriss (eurgh, hate the guy), many were independent contractors like myself. One Americano I met on an island in Thailand made his living by writing short non-fiction e-books he sold on Kindle, making a few hundred to a couple thousand bucks per book. He wrote books on anything, whatever people would buy. A Russian couple I coachhosted managed social media accounts for minor celebrities and various communities.

What do I do? I'm a self-employed translator. I own an Ltd, but I have worked through an umbrella company in the past. 9 out 10 translators work from home these days, some not because they want to, but simply because companies rarely employ in-house translators these days. When I started out 10 years ago, there weren't any vacancies for translators ... but lots of freelance work.

I'm personally not a huge fan of the digital nomad "scene" - lots of self-aggrandising dicks selling BS to wannabes - but it does show that there are plenty of possibilities to escape the traditional workplace for those who really want to. If you also like to travel, independent remote work makes it "easy" to see the world (though you'll rarely be truly "on holiday"). I've lived in a number of countries in Europe, Asia and Africa while working from home ... it's easier to find a place with a cost of living that suits your wallet when you're not bound to any one country.

If you don’t mind me asking Marvin, what kind of company have you set up? This seems off topic but I want to know how you successfully managed a company for 10 years. It’s quite impressive! I’m thinking of setting up my own one day as well; do you have any tips on leadership or any expertise you can share? Also, can you add how your introversion helped you in this process? By now I already know its cons, but a change in perspective in this matter would be very intriguing.
Thanks, but I don't know anything about leadership or management. I've never had any employees, partners, bosses, co-workers or affiliates. It's just me working alone from home, and my only communication with the companies I work with is a handful of e-mails. I guess only introverts would like this kind of job, and maybe only the most introverted of introverts ... most people would probably find this too lonely after a while. Although I own and operate my own company, I don't really know anything about running a business as such. I'm just an independent contractor.

I don't think introversion necessarily helps you be self-motivated and self-managed the way you must in my line of work ... both introverts and extroverts can need external motivation in a way you won't get when you work alone, and INxPs seem to often need some kind of team structure to help them stay focused (Ne?). But I wouldn't be surprised if IxxJs turned out to be best-suited for solitary work - I think most of the translators I know are ISxJs. FWIW, there have been MBTI polls in some of the digital nomad groups I'm a member of, and INTXs tend to dominate, with a few ENXXs thrown in. So far, I've been the sole INFJ.

Reactions: Etiennette
1 - 11 of 11 Posts