Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellow Introverts! How many of you out there are outnumbered by extroverted immediate family members but have developed routines and strategies that keep you energized and functioning with the daily interaction that could potentially drain you completely? Do you have an arrangement/understanding set in place? Do you regularly schedule lone outings? I need some suggestions that work for you.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Well, I live in two separate homes. My mother's house is chaos. My step father never stops talking, neither do his daughters--and they ALWAYS want to do something.
I lock myself in my room when I'm over there, but it's not even technically my room... so, people are coming in and out.
Luckily, I only stay there for 2 days every other week.
But, god, those days really wear me out. It doesn't help that I can't stand who my step father is as a person. He sucks. He's constantly making me and my mother feel like crap, he complains and is overall... unpleasant. He's always in everyone's business and will always find something wrong with whatever I'm doing. He is NOT understanding whatsoever. If you do not comply or do not see things his way, you're wrong. It's suffocating.

Now, I get all the alone time I need at my father's house.. possibly more. He lets me alone when I want to be alone, but I'm cared for and can come down and spend time with my family when I WANT to.
It's quiet, besides the noise of the T.V.
It's heaven compared to my mother's house.

Now, I tried talking to my mother about my needs as an introvert, but she doesn't do anything to help me
and my step father just scoffs and calls me a rude, unappreciative defiant teenager.

So, I really don't have any kind of understanding going on over there. The most I can do is coax them all into sitting down and watching a movie... or convince them to let me stay at a friend's house, or babysit while they go out.
It's very dysfunctional, but those are they only ways I can seem to get away.
Also, the shower & bathroom... but, my step-father is constantly being a douche about how much time I spend in there, excuse my language.

Sorry. :[
My input isn't very helpful.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I'll tell you, ear plugs help. The really nice ones. When I MUST get housework done and the children are making noises and arguing with each other and moving around and creating so much external sensation that it threatens to fry my circuits and freezes me in my steps and makes me feel like I can't move, I put the ear plugs in and things become softer. I can then move about and get work done. I can still hear what needs to be heard. It's just muted. It seems to help, when I can't escape the external sensory stimulation all together, so that I can go on with life. But I was hoping for suggestions that are more effective than that. I want to know if having a certain amount of time completely to yourself during the week or during each day makes the rest of the week any more endurable or if it's just a pipe dream.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My brother constantly accuses me of not having any capacity for happiness because I am constantly telling him to stop his singing/ tapping/ insert other irritating thing here. And then the whole family tries to force me to sing.

There is nothing worth singing about, and I was perfectly happy sitting in silence in front of my computer screen. It's ridiculously frustrating. If it get's really obnoxious I normally disappear to my room, and ignore everyone for like 3 hours. This normally fixes it.

Or Headphones + Loud music.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts