Personality Cafe banner

Which is better?

• Extroversion!

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Introversion!

Votes: 23 35.9%
  • Neither! We are all God's creatures OR We are all one! (or insert your religious metaphor here)

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • I don't care. I'm just here to troll.

Votes: 21 32.8%
21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
This is not to say that introverts can't appreciate and do these things also, it just to say that its not limited to either or. So therefore, experience is knowledge, education is knowledge, so to say that INTJ have more experience/education is incorrect.
I could see your point until you posted ^ above. I have no idea what you're getting at in that sentence. It just comes across completely arbitrary.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
I could see your point until you posted ^ above. I have no idea what you're getting at in that sentence. It just comes across completely arbitrary.
Equality is what its saying. Not limited to either or. Introverts/extroverts are equal when it comes to knowledge.

·
Registered
26 Posts
How is experience knowledge? What knowledge do you gain from talking about the weather forecast for the day? If extroverts and introverts do generally possess the same amount of knowledge, the extrovert's knowledge wouldn't be as dense or complex seeing how they get a good chunk of their "knowledge" from silly conversations with their buddies while introverts tend to read in depth and reflect.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So it seems like most people are either responding with a "we're all God's creatures" type responses (or funny jokes, which is cool too), even though that's not the common poll answer.

I guess what I'm really looking for is a list of the good things about being an introvert. What are the advantages?

Here's a thought: Variation.
Wow. I must admit, I was expecting something more profound from you. Of course variation is a good thing. That's not what I'm talking about at all.

Let me quote one thing of that site: "We gather voluntary demographic information from individuals who take The Personality Questionnaire. "
So wait, that means that people who are NOT interested in psychology and typology are less likely to answer the questionnaire, does it not?
There are generally two trends: Introverted people are more likely to do some form of introspection, causing them to be more interested in psychology (in order to enhance the introspection). So the test-group of the introverted people (50.9%) is a general test-group.
The second trend is that people with a wider range of interests, including psychology, usually perform better at school and also as a result of that have better income. This means that of the extraverts, who are less likely to be interested in psychology as a result of less introspection, those who ARE interested in psychology are people with a higher income anyway - thus resulting in extraverted people scoring higher on the poll.

No, I do not have data to back up my case and it's mostly based on wild guesses.
On the other hand, the poll-makers don't present any data proving that I'm wrong, so it's a possibility.
What do other people think about this?
Excellent observation. And I can definitely see how that's possibly (or probably) the case. But obviously this is just conjecture, at the end of the day.

Equality is what its saying. Not limited to either or. Introverts/extroverts are equal when it comes to knowledge.
I disagree. One of my good friends is an ESFP (I have no idea why we get along so well). Anyway, his knowledge and my knowledge are certainly not equal. He knows a lot about sports and social interaction, and he's pretty mature given his type. On the other hand, I know a lot about everything else. So, although he and I may have the same amount of knowledge (which probably isn't the case, but it's possible), there's no way you can call it equal.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
There is something to be said for this: Certain extroverted types achieve superior behavioral patterns through social interaction, but habit doesn't essentially translate into knowledge.

I know a lot of extroverts who are extremely good social "actors" but terrible social theorists and have little to no understanding why or how social things occur, they just repeat learned behaviors.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Wow. I must admit, I was expecting something more profound from you. Of course variation is a good thing. That's not what I'm talking about at all.
You give that too little credit, you only read the word not the meaning.
Now since it escaped you completely, let me hold your hand and walk you through this grandiose thought.

Rather than asking "which is better" variation suggests that the better can not exist when environment is variable. There is no superior approach to life. As a species evolved to a society of complicated structure of rules and demands from human nature, our very environment has become a mountainous terrain of demands where all qualities of human nature are tested in various manners. Some tasks and areas of life and society demand introversion, the people gifted such nature excel there and thrive in that environment. Then there are areas of life and society where extroversion is necessary and individuals who possess such quality are excellent int hat environment and can perform better in such conditions.

To ask "which is better" is like asking "would you like to wear shorts and a tanktop or warm layered jacket and quilted pants?" while dropping a person on random spot on the planet, answer completely depends on where the person is dropped at.

As a member of this species and an introvert I understand the benefits of my introversion and the downfalls of it, and I am very glad my society has extroverts out there doing tasks that would be hellish and intolerable for introverts.
I have no special preference over one or another and in our variety I think our species has its strength. This variety I embrace and revel in. It is the finest aspect of our species and the very concept of variety already speaks for the resilience of such structure.

Specialization has always been the harbinger of the death of a species. This is why I think world has room and demand for variation and differences. And all ideologies that try to propose one thing superior over another are harmful and dangerous. Peace is not attainable through similarity but through harmony and understanding, tolerance of differences and most importantly love for the all the things that set us apart from one another.

And for me to even have to explain this, with more than a one word, in such a thread as this seems like having to dive deep when everyone else prances in puddles.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
You give that too little credit, you only read the word not the meaning.
Now since it escaped you completely, let me hold your hand and walk you through this grandiose thought.

Rather than asking "which is better" variation suggests that the better can not exist when environment is variable. There is no superior approach to life. As a species evolved to a society of complicated structure of rules and demands from human nature, our very environment has become a mountainous terrain of demands where all qualities of human nature are tested in various manners. Some tasks and areas of life and society demand introversion, the people gifted such nature excel there and thrive in that environment. Then there are areas of life and society where extroversion is necessary and individuals who possess such quality are excellent int hat environment and can perform better in such conditions.

To ask "which is better" is like asking "would you like to wear shorts and a tanktop or warm layered jacket and quilted pants?" while dropping a person on random spot on the planet, answer completely depends on where the person is dropped at.

As a member of this species and an introvert I understand the benefits of my introversion and the downfalls of it, and I am very glad my society has extroverts out there doing tasks that would be hellish and intolerable for introverts.
I have no special preference over one or another and in our variety I think our species has its strength. This variety I embrace and revel in. It is the finest aspect of our species and the very concept of variety already speaks for the resilience of such structure.

Specialization has always been the harbinger of the death of a species. This is why I think world has room and demand for variation and differences. And all ideologies that try to propose one thing superior over another are harmful and dangerous. Peace is not attainable through similarity but through harmony and understanding, tolerance of differences and most importantly love for the all the things that set us apart from one another.

And for me to even have to explain this, with more than a one word, in such a thread as this seems like having to dive deep when everyone else prances in puddles.
Yes, I understand what you're saying, and that's what I took away from your previous response. Sorry, if I said it was not profound. I wasn't meaning that as an insult. I've just heard it many times, and I guess I take it for granted.

I'm now realizing I should have approached this topic in a much different light. Instead of outright claiming that "E > I" (which I'm not actually saying is necessarily true), I should have said "What are the benefits to being I over E?"

I still haven't heard much of a response to that question.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
I disagree. One of my good friends is an ESFP (I have no idea why we get along so well). Anyway, his knowledge and my knowledge are certainly not equal. He knows a lot about sports and social interaction, and he's pretty mature given his type. On the other hand, I know a lot about everything else. So, although he and I may have the same amount of knowledge (which probably isn't the case, but it's possible), there's no way you can call it equal.
O.k, let me try and word this a little differently. I think introverts/extroverts are equally capable of learning the same amounts of knowledge. The opportunities/data/information is available for both, although in terms of interest, or lack of, one or both may not apply themselves with all the information that is available.

For example. A deep introvert who sits in his room , is totally disconnected with reality and society will not be as knowledgeable in terms of life's experiences where the one who goes out into the world gaining experience and applying what he knows to reality. People learn by doing, not just reading.

Another example. If you were to pick up a paper today and read about a fight down the street last night. A, stabbed B. Very little details were given, although the point is that B is now dead. So lets say the i was there to witness the fight, saw not only what happened with AB, there was a CD involved, that lead A to stabbing B. Well i would be more knowledgeable about what really happened because i applied my experience of events in reality. Therefore the person reading could only get a visual of what happened, where i experienced it first hand.

So like i said we have equal opportunities to information and data, reading, socializing, research etc. It's what we do with those opportunities that makes the difference. Personally i believe that people who travel and meet a variety of people, cultures and places are more knowledgeable than those who don't. Knowledge is a tricky word, because what some may consider knowledge, others may see as useless information.

My original post wasn't made to answer your into. It was to let the ignorant poster know there is no way to measure who is better when it comes to NTvs SP. It has nothing to do with one being capable of leaning more that the other, and everything to do with what is more interesting for the individual. For me personally everything is interesting, therefore i take in data/ information / do research, even about topics that i know i won't be applying to my reality. With the internet, everything is available at our finger tips, so there is no reason not to be knowledgeable about any X topic. It all comes down to interest. Extroverts are in a better position to apply what they know to reality, than the introvert who spends time reading, not applying or experiencing. Hope this makes sense, i have finished my first coffee yet :D

Conclusion. Extroverts have an advantage over introverts in terms of applying what they know in reality, gathering experience, leading to more knowledge. This only applies to the introverts who don't apply what they know , read, experience , in the real world, in real time.

Albert Einstein said that imagination is more important than Knowledge. I can relate to this because if we can't dream it, we can't make it a reality.:)

Final Note. Wouldn't life be boring if we were all knowledgeable about the same subjects. What would give us the motivation to learn ? Why would we need education ?....its because everyone has different interest that keep social activities interesting. Personally i wouldn't want to know everything, if i did, there would be no reason to move forward.

Reactions: Wobzter

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Albert Einstein was an introvert.
And? And that has what to do with the quote ? Are you suggesting that introverts have a better imagination ? If so you clearly haven't met INFP/ENFP/ENTP/INTP/ESFP/ or, INTJ for that matter. Or are you just trolling me ? Instead of making one liner comments, add some substance to back up your theory. Stop with the typist and generalizations as you clearly did in your first post in regards to who is more knowledgeable between NTvs SF. Try making an arguments about facts or at the very least use some common sense. And stop quoting me as i don't have the patience for ignorant newbies who make sweeping generalizations. Quote some of your INTJ breathren who may be able to help you, because all i can see is a flame war which i don't have the time or interest. The irony is you have a total of 7 post and seem to be a know it all. Laughing :D

·
Registered
571 Posts
I say screw em', if both types exist, there is a darwinian advantage to both.
END OF LINE

·
Registered
449 Posts
I do not think one is necesarily better than the other for all things but to given purposes either one might come out as being more beneficial depending on the particular task.

I personally prefer (deeply) the company of introverts. I do not make close friends with extroverts very well. It is not because they are lesser beings. Its just a preference.

This is because:

1. Introverts tend to live in their heads and therefore they think more.
2. Introverts are more independent of the need to have people around.
3. Introverts are more likely to have a depth I can get close because they tend to live in their heads.
4. Introverts do not rely on social interaction to be fully themselves. They are self-sufficient and rely on their inner selves to take the energy they need.

Now, I do not want to argue about this topic but I believe this is an example of what Comtris is looking for. So if anyone would follow suit I imagine he would appreciate the feeback.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I do not think one is necesarily better than the other for all things but to given purposes either one might come out as being more beneficial depending on the particular task.

I personally prefer (deeply) the company of introverts. I do not make close friends with extroverts very well. It is not because they are lesser beings. Its just a preference.

This is because:

1. Introverts tend to live in their heads and therefore they think more.
2. Introverts are more independent of the need to have people around.
3. Introverts are more likely to have a depth I can get close because they tend to live in their heads.
4. Introverts do not rely on social interaction to be fully themselves. They are self-sufficient and rely on their inner selves to take the energy they need.

Now, I do not want to argue about this topic but I believe this is an example of what Comtris is looking for. So if anyone would follow suit I imagine he would appreciate the feeback.
I don't know, ENFP at least seems to be a very thinking type. If you ever get to be close friend to one you'll be surprised of the amount of depth they have. They do not only think things, they DWELL in them to a point of obsession if it strikes their fancy. Only difference is that they think about those things in social light. How it affect others, how can it be used to help them, how would people react to things, how the political implications tie in to the presence of the idea.

Fascinating actually. Where Introvert creates complicated deep wells of understanding boring deep into the subject, Extroverts create massive reaction sequences that encompass and net the subject into them from many angles. Once you combine the two, you have a system that benefits from the strengths of both.

All you need is a good pairing and synergy is accomplished.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I don't know, ENFP at least seems to be a very thinking type. If you ever get to be close friend to one you'll be surprised of the amount of depth they have. They do not only think things, they DWELL in them to a point of obsession if it strikes their fancy. Only difference is that they think about those things in social light. How it affect others, how can it be used to help them, how would people react to things, how the political implications tie in to the presence of the idea.

Fascinating actually. Where Introvert creates complicated deep wells of understanding boring deep into the subject, Extroverts create massive reaction sequences that encompass and net the subject into them from many angles. Once you combine the two, you have a system that benefits from the strengths of both.

All you need is a good pairing and synergy is accomplished.
I respect your opinion. I don't really know any ENFP's. But to be honest, this hurts me emotionally because of a personal situation that I'd rather not make public. So I cannot give you a very good reply.

I get tired of this sort of stuff from INTJ's though because I think you guys are boxing yourselves in too much. ENFP's are overrated by INTJ's. They have their good points and their downfalls just like any other type.

And I think two I's can be as happy as an E and an I if both parties have their hearts in the right place.

·
Registered
26 Posts
And? And that has what to do with the quote ? Are you suggesting that introverts have a better imagination ? If so you clearly haven't met INFP/ENFP/ENTP/INTP/ESFP/ or, INTJ for that matter. Or are you just trolling me ? Instead of making one liner comments, add some substance to back up your theory. Stop with the typist and generalizations as you clearly did in your first post in regards to who is more knowledgeable between NTvs SF. Try making an arguments about facts or at the very least use some common sense. And stop quoting me as i don't have the patience for ignorant newbies who make sweeping generalizations. Quote some of your INTJ breathren who may be able to help you, because all i can see is a flame war which i don't have the time or interest. The irony is you have a total of 7 post and seem to be a know it all. Laughing :D
It was a factual statement that consisted of only 5 words. No need to get pissy.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I think that if you determine success by wealth, education, how many friends someone has, and other socially related things of course extroverts are going to be more "successful". Extroverts expend their energy on and around other people, so naturally, they are, as a group, going to be more "successful" in those areas of life.

On the other hand, if we determine success by what the individual wants, I think we'll come to a much more balanced outcome. Who's to say that the guy who spends all his time alone at his house, working at his house, who only ever sees someone whenever he goes to buy food is happy or unhappy? Only that person can say that. Alternatively, who's to say that the individual who spends all his time doting on others, making friends, hosting parties, etc. is either happy or unhappy? Again, only that person can say for sure.

Personally, the former life appeals to me much much more than the latter. But I'm sure some people would absolutely love the latter.

So pretty much, no, I don't think that there is an advantage to being an extrovert or an introvert. It just depends entirely on the individual and what they want out of life.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I think that if you determine success by wealth, education, how many friends someone has, and other socially related things of course extroverts are going to be more "successful". Extroverts expend their energy on and around other people, so naturally, they are, as a group, going to be more "successful" in those areas of life.

On the other hand, if we determine success by what the individual wants, I think we'll come to a much more balanced outcome. Who's to say that the guy who spends all his time alone at his house, working at his house, who only ever sees someone whenever he goes to buy food is happy or unhappy? Only that person can say that. Alternatively, who's to say that the individual who spends all his time doting on others, making friends, hosting parties, etc. is either happy or unhappy? Again, only that person can say for sure.

Personally, the former life appeals to me much much more than the latter. But I'm sure some people would absolutely love the latter.

So pretty much, no, I don't think that there is an advantage to being an extrovert or an introvert. It just depends entirely on the individual and what they want out of life.
This is precisely what I was trying to point out with my previous joke. Extroverts and Introverts may simply have entirely different priorities about what's important in life. It doesn't make either one better than the other, simply different ideals in regards to their approach.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Introverts can goof around instead of doing work (e.g., I should be writing an essay on existentialism right now), and they can be assertive and charismatic as well. But I think E is better overall

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
A lot of conflict would be avoided if everyone just kept to themselves...

My 5ness just showed up real big there didn't it XP and that was me being facetious, ok, no need to preach about how then nothing would get done blah blah blah
It has nothing to do with getting things done, it has more to do with conflict promoting growth.

Most INTJ's get shit done. I don't really know any INTJ slouches. Whether they fail in endevour is another subject. Everybody has error. Why doesn't matter.

I'm still stuck on INTJ or ENTJ.

I took the actual Myers Briggs assessment and scored INTJ in college. I just took it again and scored slightly E. All aspects of me are introvert in terms of things like: I like to work by myself. I spend a ridiculous amount of time by myself and couldn't be happier. I don't get into introducing people, I am not gregarious etc. BUT- I am very aggressive, and I am a very enthusiastic person when I do deal with the outer world. If I do go to a party which is rare, it better be a smasher! The people that I choose to talk to would say I seem extroverted at face value. When I took the MBTI and got the results back, each cognitive function was broken down into subsets and statistics of each facet. My enthusiasm factor was so developed that it tipped all other facets of introversion over to slight extroversion.

Introverts rule for introspection. Most extroverts I know don't seem to adept at this sort of thing. But then again how would I know? It's in their head lol.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I think introverts/extroverts are equally capable of learning the same amounts of knowledge. The opportunities/data/information is available for both, although in terms of interest, or lack of, one or both may not apply themselves with all the information that is available.
I think you mean "everything else being equal, introverts/extroverts are equally capable of learning the same amounts of knowledge" right? In theory, degree of intelligence begets capacity for knowledge.

People learn by doing, not just reading.
Could not disagree more. You're an E, so I can understand why you might say this. I'm an engineer, so obviously you're telling this to the WRONG person. I've learned a ton of things from books, that then helped me in the real world (not just related to engineering, but it's the best example). For example, in my studies I learned that small capacitors help defend against ripple voltage and large capacitors are used for storage. When I actually had those problems in a real-world design (senior project), I remembered what I learned and just tried it. It worked brilliantly in both cases, no trial/error needed. Without having read that I would have no clue what to do. I mean, I probably could have figured out the storage part, but I don't think it would have been immediately obvious what the ripple solution was.

Man, I miss school.

Another example. If you were to pick up a paper today and read about a fight down the street last night. A, stabbed B. Very little details were given, although the point is that B is now dead. So lets say the i was there to witness the fight, saw not only what happened with AB, there was a CD involved, that lead A to stabbing B. Well i would be more knowledgeable about what really happened because i applied my experience of events in reality. Therefore the person reading could only get a visual of what happened, where i experienced it first hand.
I'm surprised an ENFP has so little respect for journalists :tongue:

Personally i believe that people who travel and meet a variety of people, cultures and places are more knowledgeable than those who don't.
Why thank you (there are few places in the world I haven't been).

Knowledge is a tricky word, because what some may consider knowledge, others may see as useless information.
I think any information is knowledge. Some knowledge is more valuable than other knowledge.

Conclusion. Extroverts have an advantage over introverts in terms of applying what they know in reality, gathering experience, leading to more knowledge. This only applies to the introverts who don't apply what they know , read, experience , in the real world, in real time.
I don't think that's true though. Certainly not of me, and not of any introvert I know.

Albert Einstein said that imagination is more important than Knowledge. I can relate to this because if we can't dream it, we can't make it a reality.
Steve Jobs is a good example of this.

Are you suggesting that introverts have a better imagination? If so you clearly haven't met INFP/ENFP/ENTP/INTP/ESFP/ or, INTJ for that matter.
Hey hey hey. I have a better imagination than most people I meet.

21 - 40 of 86 Posts