Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night i was playing some pool and realized... i can see and do shots which i've never even seen with pinpoint accuracy with knowing where to hit it, how much side, what speed etc. On shots i know, it's easy and it's experience but 2-3 cushion escapes to pot a ball? I just have a gut feeling on how to do it and have had it on many other occasions also not just in pool...

While writing this, remembered another event when i was like 10-14 and found a new computer game which had tanks shooting at each other (like scorched earth but in 2d on a 133hz pentium). Within the first game i found out that i could "guess" the wind speed, angle, power to pinpoint accuracy and not just once or myself but for everyone. Repeatedly. For hours. They said i was cheating and i had a calculator or something but... i had nothing. No experience whatsoever.

Is this... how Ni works? Or is it just experience?

·
Registered
332 Posts
There are two things I'm perfect at this in, First Person Shooters like Battlefield 3 and actually shooting guns in real life.
I come from a line of marksmen, so I assume it's genetic, but it's odd because in real life shooting situations, it all comes so naturally. I'm a perfect shot.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
There are two things I'm perfect at this in, First Person Shooters like Battlefield 3 and actually shooting guns in real life.
I come from a line of marksmen, so I assume it's genetic, but it's odd because in real life shooting situations, it all comes so naturally. I'm a perfect shot.
I went skeet shooting for the first time last year. My first time shooting anything. The sights were off on the gun, but within two shots, I was not only hitting every one but I'd mentally corrected the faulty sights.

@OP I think it's Se because you've probably watched people take these shots and filed the information away in your brain.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Reactions: JamieBond

·
Registered
354 Posts
I went skeet shooting for the first time last year. My first time shooting anything. The sights were off on the gun, but within two shots, I was not only hitting every one but I'd mentally corrected the faulty sights.
I almost did that when I went shooting to qualify for conceal and carry. The sights were fine, but the setup and gun were strange, I couldn't really see where the shots were going so I just went by instinct and only got 3 shots outside the middle ring. I can also adjust to things quickly. Like when I go to someone else's house to game there's usually a different reaction time on their system but after a few minutes I end up using it better than they do.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Tough to say really, it's something you just "feel". A bit like "If I'm low left, aim a little higher, maybe over the shoulder". Correcting for something like center of mass isn't hard, but the noggin on anything far downrange is a different animal, maybe experience.

@OP I think it's Se because you've probably watched people take these shots and filed the information away in your brain.
Next time you might want to correct the sights on the weapon :tongue:

·
Registered
2,688 Posts

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
Is there any reason we always want to give Ni so much credit? What you describe is exactly how Lenore Thomson describes Ti as a right brain function, in her book ”Personality Type: An Owners Manual”. Go to page 287 where she describes how Ti is used to decide whether to steal bases in baseball.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
It's my understanding that Ti is responsible for all the intricate calculations and Ni is used primarily to fill in the blanks that Se can't touch/hear/see/etc.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
From Personality Nation

Tertiary: Introverted iNtuition (Ni)

Interestingly, despite their (somewhat accurate) reputation as apathetic loners, ISTPs typically feel strongly enough about their principles that they may even resort to vigilante justice in order to set things right with the world when legitimate establishments of law enforcement have failed to produce a just or consistent result. They're typically quite mindful of not stepping on other people's toes, but if you step on theirs, be prepared for a swift and unexpected backlash. Somewhat like INFJs, who share all of the same function attitudes, ISTPs in the grip of Ti+Ni may fantasize about using their superior strength and physical prowess (Se) to take revenge on people who unjustly bring harm to the innocent. "Eye for an eye" is often seen as the purest and most physically real affirmation of the sense of justice that factors so heavily into the ISTP's personal value judgments.

When undeveloped, tertiary Ni most frequently manifests itself in terms of semi-paranoid distrust of "the man" or of authority figures or anyone who may have the power to force the ISTP into any situation or role from which he does not have the option to escape when he wants to. This kind of cynicism may even lead the ISTP to claim some sort of supernatural foresight; he may doggedly insist that he "just knows" something to be the case despite total inability to explain why or display any physical evidence thereof. He may come to believe anything he does is simply playing into exactly what some unseen, evil "puppet master" of sorts wants him to do, and thus may insist that the situation is hopeless because he already knows how it's all going to end up.

When applied more positively in a more developed state, tertiary Ni should bolster the ISTP's natural fluency with sensory cues by giving him deeper insight into the symbolic or suggestive meaning of the constant flow of outward sensory information he is normally attuned to. Rather than simply note what is and move on to noting something else that is, he will begin to consider the assumptions inherent in the set of rules he assumes must govern the way he interprets and evaluates that information, which, in time, will grant his "gut instincts" far more substantial meaning and accuracy by linking them to a deliberate purpose with much more far-reaching implications.

Ni should ideally help the ISTP to feel even more completely free: she will realize she can adapt not only her present actions, but also her entire outlook and attitude according to whatever the immediacy of the moment demands: nothing can ever shake her composure because she can simply change her mindset to fit her surroundings.

When Se is poorly developed, and a TiNi loop results, the ISTP loses all desire to connect or exchange information with others in any meaningful way. He becomes extraordinarily self-centered, acting out his subconscious Se desires through increasingly impulsive (and possibly even dangerous or violent) outbursts, insistent that he is the only one who "has it all figured out", that all the small-minded fools surrounding him are running a pointless rat race for nothing, and that he does not and should not ever have anything to prove to such unworthy and insignificant creatures.

He may delve further and further into bitter cynicism and conspiracy theorist behavior, as Ni develops increasingly outlandish interpretations to justify Ti's all-important desire to view the self as the only remaining bastion of consistency and truth in a purposeless world that cares for neither. Nihilism and hopelessness invariably result.

Ultimately, tertiary Ni should grant the well-balanced ISTP a unique sense of worldly wisdom. Already generally subdued by nature, his calm, quiet confidence will be nearly unshakable, as he will find the ability to separate himself from the tribulations of everyday problems enough to realize that eventually, everything is going to be fine, so we may as well just focus on dealing with what's in front of us and trust that everything else will fall into place the way it's supposed to. Development of tertiary Ni often coincides with a time in the ISTP's life where he retreats into a period of serious self-reflection and emerges with a far more calm and stable sense of philosophic purpose and global awareness.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
^^^Okay I really had no interest in joining, but I guess it's time to join Personality Nation to make a couple of posts that I think only that forum will appreciate...^^^

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
^^^Okay I really had no interest in joining, but I guess it's time to join Personality Nation to make a couple of posts that I think only that forum will appreciate...^^^
use the same name so i can stalk you and read it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
^^^ Ditto but they do shift from berens/Nardi to Jung/Lenore
Plus they have Yakawa who plays the same role as Functianalyst

·
Registered
847 Posts
Its probably definately not Ni. I am really strong in Ni and I can do nothing like that.

My ISTP brother, however, could. He was fastest at competency at anything we sibs tried growing up, like ice skating, roller skating, tree climbing, skiing both water and snow (the little we did of that), canoeing, you name it; he picked it up first in his quiet, calm, focused way. (Then my other brothers, and then me, the Ni, always tailed last!). He also would win the most at the neighborhood annual Fireman's Carnival. I always thought he just got all the "luck" in the family. However, he was thoughtful and focused; I think it was not luck but what you describe with pool.

So it must be something rather ISTP. Ti maybe? Se? I think that.

One of this brother's friends was an ISTP, and he drove me to community college, where I sometimes had long days with extra-curriculers. That was fine with him; he spent his days there at the pool tables!

(Occasionally I can excel at some new things I try. Once when I tried Shuffleboard the first time, my friend's father, watching, laughed real loud when my first shot was really crazy-poor. I would show him. I focused, and got the next shot, my second-ever, perfect, which shut him up. I had NO IDEA how I got the shot, though. Just focus and determination.)

Reactions: dimane

·
Registered
57 Posts
Last night i was playing some pool and realized... i can see and do shots which i've never even seen with pinpoint accuracy with knowing where to hit it, how much side, what speed etc. On shots i know, it's easy and it's experience but 2-3 cushion escapes to pot a ball? I just have a gut feeling on how to do it and have had it on many other occasions also not just in pool...

While writing this, remembered another event when i was like 10-14 and found a new computer game which had tanks shooting at each other (like scorched earth but in 2d on a 133hz pentium). Within the first game i found out that i could "guess" the wind speed, angle, power to pinpoint accuracy and not just once or myself but for everyone. Repeatedly. For hours. They said i was cheating and i had a calculator or something but... i had nothing. No experience whatsoever.

Is this... how Ni works? Or is it just experience?

I'd say this is Ti+Se... from the descriptions of Sensation, you wouldn't guess it (and by that I mean, they suck), but Se is very instinctual and "gut feeling" IMO. Suddenly knowing that someone is lying, for instance, seems to me Se rather than Ni. I'd venture that an ESTP could pick up on that much faster than an INTJ. Having some premonition of the future... that's Ni, but getting a sudden "read" or "vibe" from a person that tells you something about them? That's Se, probably mixed with introverted judgment.

So far as the spatial thing... that's Ti, I think. Lenore talked about this quite a bit. She definitely attributes those sort of "spatial calculations" to Ti.

While I suck at pool, I have a very similar knack for such things. Like shooting. The first time I ever shot a gun I was out-shooting the 40 year old ******** that took me that had been shooting forever. I still shoot just as good as my Iraq/Afghanistan vet buddies whenever we hit the range, and I've had no training or really any shooting experience whatsoever.

·
Registered
267 Posts
This reminds me, I have a knack for throwing things in a bin or hoop. I'm like, the master of throwing things. Lol. But it takes attention, and thinking of how much strength I should put into my throw and aim. I hardly ever miss the can. Best thing about being an ISTP, throwing trash away without getting up. Oh yeah!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts