Personality Cafe banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I don't think intuitives are necessarily uncoordinated. But there is a consistent tone to this place that sensors are morons who can't see the big picture or have an intellectual conversation with and you might catch dumbass kooties if you date them. It doesn't seem so bad when this bullshit, literal, misinterpretation of MBTI is paired with the assumption that intuitives are uncoordinated. But paired with full on superiority complexes is full on MBTI bingo.
I admit I have a thing with people who doesn't have intuition. (or doesn't favor it) It's not like I look down on them it's just a part of me is always shut down before them and they really notice when I get into Ne tangent.
But ISTPs for instance are great for me. They show me how to connect with the real world and I show them how to be spontaneous and get with people they normally wouldn't approach.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I admit I have a thing with people who doesn't have intuition. (or doesn't favor it) It's not like I look down on them it's just a part of me is always shut down before them and they really notice when I get into Ne tangent.
But ISTPs for instance are great for me. They show me how to connect with the real world and I show them how to be spontaneous and get with people they normally wouldn't approach.
The 4 dimensional world is a fascinating place to explore. People that not only favor sensor or intuitive but avoid the other spectrum lack dimension/depth. The point is to improve ourselves, not ego trips. I recognize I'm bitchy and isolate myself too much. Some of the people who made the worst first impressions on me are friends now. They grew on me. We still butt heads often but they have value in my life. Dismissing people who don't favor intuition is a mistake. N/S isn't binary.

·
Registered
852 Posts
i'm the kind of person that walks and falls because i didn't see the rock in front of me or something like that. but when i'm out i'm extremely aware of my surroundings, but i think i learned it, you start to count the steps to know how many people are on a street, if a person is looking at you in a weird way, when someone from a distance is approaching you (even if it is from the back). but again, i think is the kind of thing you learn from experience, i know a lot of intuitives that are nothing like this cause they never went through the same situations and never needed to learn.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I love the intuitives insisting sensors don't have a clue because they aren't intuitive but also insist that 'bam!' they have amazing physical awareness. It's a one way street. I get it.
It's actually hilariously ironic. Intuitives like to make fun of sensors for being "dumbasses that can't understand intellectual debates", but wouldn't lacking common sense and awareness technically make one a "dumbass" too? It might be in a different way, but you'd still be perceived as an idiot.

I'm not hating on N's though. My favorite people are all N's (but they are also not sensor haters). And I don't think N = uncoordinated or anything either. It's just a funny thing I've noticed with some N's.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Tertiary Si. Relatively aware.

I'm not as good as S doms, of course. But because I've spent quite a bit of time with them, I've observed them and picked up their habits. Whenever I'm walking somewhere (large confusing places like conferences, malls, stadiums), I check my milestones by turning back often. So when I go to new places, I rarely get lost. I try to memorize maps whenever possible (of locations I'm going to). I like to replay old memories (Si), so I unintentionally brush up on my past locations/spatial arrangements as well.

My most easily visible sensor skill is probably interior design. There's my creative side, sure, but also a strong instinct for where exactly things fit and being able to measure objects with my eyes. I love walking into an empty location and being able to mentally construct the exact location of where every furniture piece will fit, down to the inch.

My problem is that I'm often unaware of the skills I possess (including sensing skills) because I just do them. So I assume I'm not good at things. It took me a while to realize my Si is decently developed (which also helped me realize I don't have inferior Si).

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I love the intuitives insisting sensors don't have a clue because they aren't intuitive but also insist that 'bam!' they have amazing physical awareness. It's a one way street. I get it.
It's actually hilariously ironic. Intuitives like to make fun of sensors for being "dumbasses that can't understand intellectual debates", but wouldn't lacking common sense and awareness technically make one a "dumbass" too? It might be in a different way, but you'd still be perceived as an idiot.

I'm not hating on N's though. My favorite people are all N's (but they are also not sensor haters). And I don't think N = uncoordinated or anything either. It's just a funny thing I've noticed with some N's.
Yeah, lacking common sense DOES make you look like a dumbass (in the real world) and I think that's part of the reason a lot of Intuitives come on websites putting sensors down and asserting their own brand of intelligence. The nice thing about the internet is that for the most part we communicate in ideas instead of the common sense-y realm.

However, that definitely does not excuse outright sensor-hating and insufferable arrogance...

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
The 4 dimensional world is a fascinating place to explore. People that not only favor sensor or intuitive but avoid the other spectrum lack dimension/depth. The point is to improve ourselves, not ego trips. I recognize I'm bitchy and isolate myself too much. Some of the people who made the worst first impressions on me are friends now. They grew on me. We still butt heads often but they have value in my life. Dismissing people who don't favor intuition is a mistake. N/S isn't binary.
It's not about dismissing. It's about getting along. I never dismiss anything, even the slightest possiblity, if you know how Ne works, I shouldn't explain it to you.
But there are people who doesn't understand you the way others do. I don't know how to put it to not sound dismissive. Feeling and Thinking, Sensing and Intuition are equally important.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 6w7 9w1 so/sp
3,418 Posts
(Much) more than the average person, or most people, actually.

So does this mean anything?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Oh my god, you have no idea... I feel more and more (i perceive it) that I'm often stuck in my head, thoughts, in this alternative reality. Especially in cases, when I'm thinking about something serious (for me), complicated, interconnected. I dive into it and am not aware of my surroundigs at all. It usually begins with a little thought like 'What am I gonna do this summer?' Then I search for possibilities, have them all at once in my head, it's like building a sandcastle and when I won't concentrate hard enough, the sand-particles will fall apart (so the whole thing, too). My body turns on an automatic mode - I can walk and not be hit by a car but have no idea about details, people... just nothing. It's a bit like hypnosis and one doubts, if one really lives more in the real world than in the fantasy one. If there is no such an idea, I'm observing, on the other hand, my surrounding very closely, until I get another idea system to think about. But of course, that happens mainly when I'm alone. I'm really trying to stay in the moment when in conversation with someone but of course, if in a group which is discussing for me boring topics (like in a group of sensors), it's highly probable, I will not stay for long.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I'm not that aware of my physical surroundings. I really have a way of drifting off into space and daydreaming from time to time. Although, I will say that I am almost hyper-aware of my physical presence. I simply cannot take my mind off of what I am doing with my hands, arms, legs, whatever.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
The thing is that I don't think you should be offended by such claims that sensors aren't deep enough and such. I mean this thread is openly about how intuitives are clumsy and most of us play along. It's not a big deal.
If you want to improve yourself, go on. But why would you bother?

In fact there is a pretty good argument how you shouldn't worry about things that you cannot do and that a "well rounded" person is a fallacy.

Sure this video is about Shadow functions but the point is the same.
If you aim to be well rounded and start tapping into your third and fourth functions you will be drained easily. You gotta learn the heck out of your first and second functions and the rest will follow.

·
Registered
607 Posts
The thing is that I don't think you should be offended by such claims that sensors aren't deep enough and such. I mean this thread is openly about how intuitives are clumsy and most of us play along. It's not a big deal.
If you want to improve yourself, go on. But why would you bother?

In fact there is a pretty good argument how you shouldn't worry about things that you cannot do and that a "well rounded" person is a fallacy.

Sure this video is about Shadow functions but the point is the same.
If you aim to be well rounded and start tapping into your third and fourth functions you will be drained easily. You gotta learn the heck out of your first and second functions and the rest will follow.
I'm not on board with the original thread to start with.

Well rounded, meaning: able to appreciate people who rely more on functions that you don't. I was too vague.

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,448 Posts
I am aware I exist; that seem(s) to be as far as it extend(s). However, my intuition needs to be "tuned" (zoned-out), for hyper-focusing via the environment + details. There is something very eccentric/strange about surrounding(s) to which I feel exceedingly disconnected / uncomfortable -- like it is my intuition that must shape it, before I can proceed and trust it.

I used to ponder whether I had ADD of some form; but that is not the case. My cognitive-function(s) seem to simulate (in thought) these non-happening / irrelevant scenario(s) then link them to my ("happening scenario"). It seems like basic (Ni) I am expounding on in a rather simplistic essence; however, it is much complicated than that .. In fact, it is downright weird. I do not know what is wrong with my brain at times.

It alway(s) seems to be malfunctioning—as here I am; within this realm of actuality (&) all my brain is generating is something completely irrelevant to it—(&) in this irrelevance, I sit and lapse in and out; it is strange how my physical-body also follow(s) these lapses, that is, it corresponds with my intuitiveness, my body seems to follow this "non-actual" scenario my cognitive-functions as generated; as if it were a real thing. As if, I am walking within this "intuitive" realm. I feel these intuition(s) and by physical-body walks right through them -- it seems not only confused; but entirely distorted between this "dream-scenario" (futuristic happening / link), some form of time-lapse that fuels my every step within the actual-state of reality. Every-step has "already" been taken elsewhere—in some dimension; (&) must be produced again in the actual.

Granted, the "objects" generated by my (Ni) are so contextual; which makes them highly clumsy with what is actually the case; I generated an octopus with 15 tenticles (&) link it to some physical object; I so much so trust this "link" that I will implemented within the proper realm, which is completely absurd, I will actually strongly believe this octopus with 15 arms has a strong correspondance, place, importance with this physical object — an egg carton, or chair, for instance to almost a fault. I will actually proudly share it with another human-being -- as the belief feels of a reality; as I have just "discovered" something totally crazy but makes so much sense. I swear it; there is something else to it, while the other person just looks uncomfortable.

I then generate or produce it as "proof" on the physical object because I just feel it must be there or shared -- that I am not being simply obtuse/absurd (&) it must be demonstrative/grounded for my own sanity. My cognitive-brain is doing this nonsense all day long; all the time. What used to make me rather clumsy is the fact that this "chair" along with the octopus; doesn't even exist -- thus, I am walking in physical reality; and run right into a door, or sit down on air, where there isn't any chair; however my (intuitiveness) is still trying to make that actual link between some thing and another.

Like, what importance is this fucking "real" green sappy Oak tree to my "intuitive" non-existent purple trees I generated awhile back? Where is the link; so I can make sense of it's meaning/context/importance. It must be linked with my dom-function. In this lapse state; meanwhile, I'll trip right over the branches. A sensor would likely laugh at this oblivious carelessness.

To which follows by ::

"What? You're so weird. What the 'eff are you talking about? What, what? Huh!? How did you make that out of (X, Y, Z), how do come up with this stupid shit?"

____

To which I respond ::

"God fuck! No idea, hun."

If I had a penny darling, for every time this occurs..

The only thing that ("keeps me grounded")— is my implementation of (Se). A voice; a touch, a hands-on task. Without any sensing; say, I just acquired (Ni/Te/Ne/Ti), I fail to see how I would even be a functional human-being, let alone even living. I have these intuitive-lapses have put me in almost debilitating states; (&) scrambled my verbal-skills, speech, "blinded" my vision for instance, and made me absolutely deaf to another human standing (&) talking about something directly in front of me [unless they tap into this cognitive-space] of mine. Granted, it isn't an "black-out" or lapse in consciousness; as I am awake, aware and that jazz, I am thinking. How strange, indeed. I can only imagine how intense it is to be a sensor in the opposition.

·
Heretic
ESI 9w8 5w4 2w1
10,672 Posts
I seem to do Se alright for it to be a inferior function.
It comes down to martial art training i think, and my ISTP father not giving me a break as a kid.
When I return to my Ni/Te world that stuff might as well not excist.
I'm far of in some vision or abstraction.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I'm not an intuitive, but I'm frequently very unaware of my surroundings. When I'm walking down the street zoned out in my thoughts I don't notice people and places around me. I won't trip over a stone or hit a pole, but I can go down the same street a hundred times and not know that there's a shoe shop at the corner.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I can be aware of danger in my surroundings and usually notice errors while reading, but I'm just zoned out most of the time.

Reactions: Aelthwyn

·
Banned
898 Posts
Yeah...when I was 19 and first trying to find my type I pretty much just had to read this bit off the Personality Page site to think, yep, this is probably my type...

When it comes to the mundane details of life maintenance, INFPs are typically completely unaware of such things. They might go for long periods without noticing a stain on the carpet, but carefully and meticulously brush a speck of dust off of their project booklet.

That's just pretty much exactly how I am. My Sensor parents and sister can clean a place up in half an hour that takes me a whole day at least, because there's just so much I don't notice... and, not only that but while I'm trying to clean up usually what happens is I'll get distracted by a book I've found lying around in the process or something to that effect. I'm just not naturally drawn to these things...

I do have it in me, though. I like the feeling of having put together a nice outfit that complements my shape, coloring, etc. and before I developed depression as a kid I liked the feeling of doing the same thing with my room... I think a lot of it might have been culture shock, like back then I was living in my hometown/state and the colors there are definitely different from here, they're very dusty, muted, etc. like the way I look and it was easier to harmonize my surroundings with my appearance. Plus that was before peer pressure and ostracism and such really started to make me depressed. I've tried to gradually become more conscientious about this kind of thing over the years, though.

So yeah... I dunno. My INFJ sister and I have always been messier overall than our Sensor parents and baby sister, honestly. I might suggest that getting into accidents like bumping into things might be more a Perceiving than a Sensing issue, though, because my dad and I are both Perceivers (but he's a Sensor) and we both have that issue. The rest of my family...not so much, that I can recall.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,261 Posts
yeah... I'm pretty unaware of a lot of things. Most oft he time my surroundings just aren't interesting enough to me. I naturally tune out things that aren't pretty because they just drag down my mood (so in the city lots of things). I tend to zero in on certain little details that other people would miss while totally missing a lot of other stuff - like noticing a little bit of moss sticking up between cracks in the pavement or a typo in a book. I definitely don't have a good sense of space and will often bump the table as I sit down or hit my head getting out of a car or whatever. Even when I'm paying attention and trying to be careful I can have a bad sense of movement and proximity. It's not like I'm super clumsy all the time, but people have definitely indicated that they think I'm less spacially aware than 'normal'. I definitely tune out sounds a lot. There are many things that have sound effects in real life that I just never even noticed until someone else mentioned them - like cupboard doors closing, flip flops hitting your heels as you walk, chewing. One sense I can't seem to tune out is smell, I seem to notice smells that other people don't or which they take for granted or something.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Because i remembered something.. i know someone who's an intuitive, and he doesn't fucking know what's going on his fucking environment it's so fucking frustrating xD
Now i understand because Intuition. Because there's one time, being always stupid i forgot that i wear my skirts backwards xD and fucking damn i was with this intuitive idiot xD he never fucking noticed. XD
He never noticed anything about me. When i take a new haircut, he will not notice it. When i wore new clothes new shoes or own new stuff, he will not notice. XD and one frustrating shit is, if I'm gonna ask, "hey, there's something new about me.. Guess what is it?!!!" - He'll answer it wrong. XD
I wonder if other intuitive users do this too? XD

How much are u aware of your surroundings?
I can relate, especially when I was younger. I'm just not interested in those sorts of details. I can, and have, missed if someone had a haircut. I am often the last to know what's going on around me. When I have something important to do I can become quite focused and will to notice anyone trying to talk to me. Even in a loud environment where I'm a little overwhelmed and not expecting someone to talk to me, I won't hear them. Same thing if I am daydreaming/thinking. My external environment just outside the edge of my awareness.

I would not say its necessarily an 'N' aspect. I would place it as perhaps more as an 'I' thing. That is I'm an introvert, so I'm aware of what I'm thinking, how things are affecting me, the images that come to mind, what ideals/realisations I am having, if this conversation is interesting to me, is there any information I know about/pre thoughts/ideas I have had that I can add to the conversation. You could say I'm somewhat on the egocentric side. I'm not thinking about what's happening around me, how the other person is responding, etc.

I'd say the N aspect is more when I see how an idea may have developed, or would begin to look at how this idea may develop in the future. I may come to a random realisation that explains what could actually be happening under the surface, often pulling facts/knowledge I have together to form an assumption. It may be me aware of the images that come to mind, and they what they may represent, or me having an idea for how things are going to play out. Of course this can be incorrect (and I enjoy the surprises) as really its a very likely assumption, ergo possibility.

·
Banned
8,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I can relate, especially when I was younger. I'm just not interested in those sorts of details. I can, and have, missed if someone had a haircut. I am often the last to know what's going on around me. When I have something important to do I can become quite focused and will to notice anyone trying to talk to me. Even in a loud environment where I'm a little overwhelmed and not expecting someone to talk to me, I won't hear them. Same thing if I am daydreaming/thinking. My external environment just outside the edge of my awareness.

I would not say its necessarily an 'N' aspect. I would place it as perhaps more as an 'I' thing. That is I'm an introvert, so I'm aware of what I'm thinking, how things are affecting me, the images that come to mind, what ideals/realisations I am having, if this conversation is interesting to me, is there any information I know about/pre thoughts/ideas I have had that I can add to the conversation. You could say I'm somewhat on the egocentric side. I'm not thinking about what's happening around me, how the other person is responding, etc.

I'd say the N aspect is more when I see how an idea may have developed, or would begin to look at how this idea may develop in the future. I may come to a random realisation that explains what could actually be happening under the surface, often pulling facts/knowledge I have together to form an assumption. It may be me aware of the images that come to mind, and they what they may represent, or me having an idea for how things are going to play out. Of course this can be incorrect (and I enjoy the surprises) as really its a very likely assumption, ergo possibility.
Yeah possibly xD I'll stop labelling now this Intuition xD

21 - 40 of 50 Posts