1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
I've been reading and participating in personality forums for many years and can vouch it's an issue that crops up fairly often. In my observation, it typically arrives in the form of a new-to-the-MBTI-community INxx who feels like the MBTI explains so much about why they feel different and under appreciated, and who harbor hard feelings towards family members and/or peers they identify as S. Fortunately it has seemed in the last few years that more and more individuals are aware of and cautious against this sentiment, at least in my regular haunts.

Personally, I feel like this phenomenon is more about the INxx's feelings of isolation, frustration, and difficulty communicating, rather than about actual N/S differences... the more the INxx feels hurt and left out, the worse the backlash towards S. In my own opinion, it tends to appear much more frequently with introverted intuitives, rather than extraverted intuitives; I think it is a common introverted intuitive challenge to successfully communicate our thoughts to our loved ones and peers, and it is an enormous frustration - but it is notable that plenty of ISxx face social communication struggles as well. IMO, in reality, Ss can be plenty misunderstood and isolated, too. Pointing the finger at them doesn't help or change anything - it just creates another gap in understanding.

Btw, personal soapbox: statistics published about S vs. N are invalid, baseless numbers. It's a huge issue. Consider how in the world anyone is actually getting an accurate read on the actual distribution of S vs. N types across the globe: they aren't. You'd first have to find a test that types people across languages and cultures accurately with a good rate of success, then you'd have to get a completely random sample of the population to take it. The stats linked in the article are from CPP, the private business that owns the official MBTI and who doesn't administer MBTI testing for free. Note that they have previously published that approximately 50% of MBTI test-takers get a different type result upon a retake.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Sensing types are often looked down upon in MBTI communities and have their unique talents dismissed and devalued. Society without sensors would pretty much grind to a halt since there would be nobody naturally inclined to handle operational details. However, there are common stereotypes that depict sensors as being simple-minded. These stereotypes are advanced by misanthropic youths who like to think that they are better than everyone else, and they conclude that testing as an N-type is what makes them better.

·
Banned
1,970 Posts
Is there a reason this question is only open to intuitives? It's something that comes up time and time again but usually out of bitterness and misunderstanding, it would probably be helpful for everyone if we were able to discuss it together rather than, y'know, further segregating each other :tongue:.

Anyway, I'm pleased to see the comments on this thread. Do you know the amount of times I've heard "are you sure you're not an intuitive?" or "you're not like other sensors/ISFJS" from intuitives? :rolleyes: They think that because they can relate to me, I must be an intuitive or just an "exceptional sensor". It is patronizing as all hell. I am an individual human being first and foremost who just so happens to prefer Si, Fe, Ti and Ne as a way of functioning. I share these functions with NTPs - just in a different order - so why should I be treated like a different species to them? I get along better with them than I do with, say, xSxP's, because I understand their way of thinking and being more than I do with those who use different functions from me. So it's not a case of boxing sensors in one box and intuitives in another. Still, I appreciate the SP's because they're so different to me and have qualities I wish I had. I think that's often where the bitterness comes in, envy and jealousy of the qualities others have. And unfortunately, some people use the "minority" and "i'm just different" card to justify it.

I mean, I agree that intuitives are the minority and that society is structured in a way that benefits sensors (SJ's more so than SP's) but it's a case of the grass is greener. I have my own bitterness towards my type and how I wish I could be more "creative" like an Ne-dom, more individualistic/authentic like an Fi-dom and I even have envy for Se-doms who can let go and get shit done. I mean, as an Si-dom there's no way I can be compared to an Se-dom (oh how I wish I had more Se than Si sometimes) so it doesn't make sense to group me with them.

I actually typed as an INFJ in the beginning, before I knew anything about MBTI or the functions, and I found when I changed my type to ISFJ I was treated more harshly. Intuitives didn't really want to hear anything I had to say because I just "wouldn't understand" and that I'm just from a different world. I didn't want to admit I was an ISFJ and the most common type because I'd had all my own struggles in life that were suddenly being invalidated because hey, I'm an SJ and that means I benefit from everything, right? No - I always wished I was more extroverted, had stronger individuality, more "logical" and so on.

Not to say there isn't bias against intuitives, of course there is but as for these types of forums, they do tend to attract intuitives (and mistyped ones) who then bond over their shared perception that their difficulties in life are because of their MBTI type. It results in a group think that they justify over the way they've been treated in the past. I don't blame sensors for not putting their type on show and retaliating, and I don't blame intuitives when they retaliate back but uh.. it obviously just further fuels the separation lol.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
It's fairly irritating that the intuitive bias still exists. It's very rare that I'm able to actually find a decent description of the sensing functions in general outside of maybe one or two blogs and maybe book in general that doesn't make Si look like some traditional conformist who can't think outside the box or Se look like some impulsive, risk taking bully. Intuitive types are consistently put on a pedestal in the typology community because of this, so it's no wonder that so many people end up misconstruing the information itself and spreading false information around the internet and forums.

~Probably(?) an INTP

·
Registered
Justice for old perc
3,083 Posts
I just want to say that while I brought up the bias in that other thread, I don't think everyone is stereotyping on purpose. Humans tend to be biased. It's a part of life. But it is funny to me to come back after mistyping first as an infj then as an enfj, to see the differences. But I think some of the bias stems from some of the poor descriptions available about the functions.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
obvious bull crap. It’s just people taking buzzfeed quizzes, getting a stupid description, and coming to wrong conclusions.

·
Registered
764 Posts
N bias is very real, just like there's a T over F bias as well. Problem is the descriptions glorify NT and NF compared to SJ and SP. Large part of this is because of David Keirsey's temperaments, 'NT' is described ridiculously positive and favorable, "the rationals" (as if ST or any other types can't possibly achieve rational status) so you have NTJ and NTP walking around thinking they are intellectually superior. Unfortunately, Keirsey is quite popular so I don't see his four temperaments going away anytime soon, even when the whole thing isn't congruent to begin with. Not sure why it's NT, NF, SJ and SP, categorizing S into SJ and SP instead of ST and SF, similar to NT and NF.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I just want to say that while I brought up the bias in that other thread, I don't think everyone is stereotyping on purpose. Humans tend to be biased. It's a part of life. But it is funny to me to come back after mistyping first as an infj then as an enfj, to see the differences. But I think some of the bias stems from some of the poor descriptions available about the functions.
It's intriguing that you should say this, because I have met three ISTJs who initially mistyped as NF-types (two INFJ and one INFP). They were all fine with the revelation of their real type, but none of these were people who were really active in MBTI communities. I can see how someone who is actively involved with other MBTI enthusiasts would have a harder time with it, though. I wonder if there is something that causes ISTJs to think they're NF-types, because I have seen a surprising number of examples of this happening.

·
Registered
Justice for old perc
3,083 Posts
It's intriguing that you should say this, because I have met three ISTJs who initially mistyped as NF-types (two INFJ and one INFP). They were all fine with the revelation of their real type, but none of these were people who were really active in MBTI communities. I can see how someone who is actively involved with other MBTI enthusiasts would have a harder time with it, though. I wonder if there is something that causes ISTJs to think they're NF-types, because I have seen a surprising number of examples of this happening.
I think it's important to mention that I wasn't in a good place when I typed as an INFJ. I also didn't have a firm grasp on who I was as a person yet (I was in my early 20's and just out of a bad relationship). And because the test questions are very subjective and rely on self-assessment, it's a recipe for mistyping for many people. Personality theory can help you understand yourself better, but you need to know yourself well in order to type yourself correctly. As a young person who came out of a relationship that made me an ENTIRELY different person, it took me years just to get myself healthy and back to "me."

·
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
2,795 Posts
My best friend for most of my life is an ESTP. (I know, besties with your shadow seems a little crazy, we are like polar opposites but for the most part we get along... it was hard sometimes though). One of my most recent internet aquintances who I admire a lot is an ESFP, I believe.
So I like Sensors. How could I not? They make up most people I know irl. I'm pretty sure my family are mostly sensors.
I envy their traits, especially se-doms like my best friend.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
N bias is very real, just like there's a T over F bias as well. Problem is the descriptions glorify NT and NF compared to SJ and SP. Large part of this is because of David Keirsey's temperaments, 'NT' is described ridiculously positive and favorable, "the rationals" (as if ST or any other types can't possibly achieve rational status) so you have NTJ and NTP walking around thinking they are intellectually superior. Unfortunately, Keirsey is quite popular so I don't see his four temperaments going away anytime soon, even when the whole thing isn't congruent to begin with. Not sure why it's NT, NF, SJ and SP, categorizing S into SJ and SP instead of ST and SF, similar to NT and NF.
I agree regarding Keirsey's descriptions seeming to favor N. Here's a current site that gives some illustration of his divisions - https://keirsey.com/temperament-overview/

He posits SPs and NTs as utilitarian - focused on doing what works - and SJs and NFs as cooperative - focused on doing what's right. It's an interesting observation but I don't personally always think it's correct, or that it does a better job at dividing up than ST/SF/NT/NF. I've heard before that Keirsey drew SJ/SP/NF/NT from the 4 classic temperaments, but I don't know how true that is.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts