Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having this problem pretty much ever since I started with the MBTI theory a few years back. I kind of sit right between J and P when it comes to my tendencies, and I know that can't be, since INTPs have opposite functions to INTJs.

Or perhaps, could it be possible for me to be able to switch functions depending on the situation?

Anyways, I decided I might as well have you guys take a shot at finding that last letter. I suppose I might as well offer what I've thought of so far (or at least some of it, this problem bothers me almost all the time).

At the present moment, I am a huge procrastinator (by my standards, though I have never had to pull an all-nighter to do something) have to push myself to do things I don't want to do. But when it comes to things I want to accomplish, I make sure to get it done. If I decide I want to do something, it's hard for me to give up (but possible, in some cases).

My father, a strong INFJ, says I am too lazy, and that I don't worry enough about things. I tell him he's worried too much. This is basically a J vs. P thing, and in this situation, I am a P to him.

My mother, an ESFP, says I'm always over-organized and on-top of things. So in this situation, I seem like a J to her P.

Now, when reading about child's types (INJ vs ITP), I always find myself reading over the INJ descriptions and thinking "I used to do EXACTLY THAT as a child", and when reading over the ITP description, I am not so sure that I was like that.

I came to a point in my life where I felt my personality change a bit. At around 16 or so, I started becoming a bit more charismatic, a bit more able to make jokes and a bit stranger. My ex-girlfriend a few months back told me I was "normal on the inside", which would correlate with INTP's Ti and Si functions. However, I am not so sure I agree with her, as at times, I have very deep feelings that I would not express.

However, at other times, I have become more exorbitant in my display of "fake" emotions. That is, I display enthusiasm on the outside when on the inside I am not QUITE as enthused. This isn't to fool people or make myself seem different - I just seem to express enthusiasm outwardly more than I actually feel.

Then again, at other times, I am more enthusiastic about things on the inside (especially personal relationships) than on the outside, and many people see me as cold and emotionless.

I'm open to probing and such, along with guesses. Who knows, maybe this will somehow end my multi-year dilemma?

·
Registered
601 Posts
The P and J difference is the dumbest of all the saparations of types. J's are "orderly and like to impose their view" while P's are "chaotic and like to take in information from their environment." It just seems like a badly made up dimension to separate function usage. Dont listen to the titles of judging and perciever because they will just confuse you. I know very perceptive J and jedgemntal P's. All that is truly important is discerning wether your ego is tied to Ti-Ne or Ni-Te.
Consider, you might have a preffenrence for Te and still be chracterized by the INTJ acronym; your introversion might predominate, even if you trust empirical data and effective action over meditative planning. So if you decide that you use Thinking more over Intuition, meditate on whether you are using Ti or Te. This also goes for Ne and Ni. I wish you luck in your self discovery

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
If you are confident that you are INTx, then it would be as "simple" as finding your dominant to decide on your type. If you are dominant Ni, then you are INTJ, if you are dominant Ne, then you are INTP. So check up a little on the cognitive functions, and try to see which is most true to your way of functioning.

http://personalitycafe.com/cognitive-functions/24032-intro-function-theory-more-detailed-descriptions-each-function-attitude.html

Yeah, that was basically just what Humaning was saying too... Sorry! :blushed:

·
Registered
601 Posts
If you are confident that you are INTx, then it would be as "simple" as finding your dominant to decide on your type. If you are dominant Ni, then you are INTJ, if you are dominant Ne, then you are INTP. So check up a little on the cognitive functions, and try to see which is most true to your way of functioning.

http://personalitycafe.com/cognitive-functions/24032-intro-function-theory-more-detailed-descriptions-each-function-attitude.html

Yeah, that was basically just what Humaning was saying too... Sorry! :blushed:

:laughing: No worries... it might take more than one blow to hammer a nail.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Coming back to this 12 years later:

extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************* (25.2)
average useintroverted Sensing (Si) ****************************** (30.2)
good useextraverted Intuiting (Ne) *************************************** (39.4)
excellent useintroverted Intuiting (Ni) ******************************** (32.2)
good useextraverted Thinking (Te) ******************************** (32.3)
good useintroverted Thinking (Ti) ******************************** (32.4)
good useextraverted Feeling (Fe) ********************* (21.1)
limited useintroverted Feeling (Fi) *************************** (27.2)
average use

So, the functions test told me I'm INTP. Though I've always tested INTJ until nowadays. I also tested as ISTJ as a child. It's very strange.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
INTP: TiNeSiFe
INTJ: NiTeFiSe
ISTP: TiSeNiFe

Probably most MBTI tests you have taken have only picked up on the E/I, S/N, T/F and J/P dichotomies and did not figure in extraversion or introversion in the functions. So, if it was just one single test that gave a different result, I wouldn't put to much into it.

I have been thinking about trying to figure out how that function test computes its result, but I haven't yet.

I'd say from that score that the question is still open regarding INTP or INTJ. I don't see very much that differs.

If I were in your situation, I'd try to read up on the cognitive functions (Cognitive Functions - PersonalityCafe) to see if you relate more to the NiTe combo or the TiNe combo as your primary function pair.

This link might also help: http://personalitycafe.com/myers-briggs-forum/11582-fine-art-clarifying-type-why-some-types-look-like.html#post236599

Your comparison with your parents could have aspects of E/I, S/N and F/T, as well as J/P. On way of reading it could be that your fathers NiFe is more preoccupied with worrying about things than you are, and that your mothers SeFi is much more carefree. Could be something else, but it's probably not as simple as J vs. P.

If INJ does fit you as a child well, then that is something that doesn't change, so it makes INTJ likely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts