Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't settle on whether I'm Ni-Te or Ti-Ne. Out of the two, Ni-Te seems more accurate. What are some J characteristics? If it helps:

• I don't like being late and am often on time
  • I don't procrastinate very much.
  • my living space is fairly organized. Sometimes it gets a little messy and I can't resist putting things back in order. Once or twice a year I organize everything in my room and it tends to stay that way for the most part.
  • I like making a decision and sticking with it. Keeping options open is fine, but I prefer solidifying a decision so I don't have to think/worry about it later.
On the cognitiveprocesses.com function test I rank excellent use in Ti, Ne, Si and good use in Ni and Te. Se's use is limited.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel that the informative style describes me best. I'm unsure of how I feel about the functions...it sounds somewhat correct. Do you know of any real-world examples of those first three?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I feel that the informative style describes me best. I'm unsure of how I feel about the functions...it sounds somewhat correct. Do you know of any real-world examples of those first three?
I'll do my best at defining both dominant and auxiliary cognitive functions that are used in generic INTPs and INTJs.

INTJs;

Introverted Intuition; Ni allows us to forsee intangible connections between data. 'Ni' is a way of knowing that bypasses fact, reason and evidence, and supplies insight that seems indisputably true to you, solely. Types that use introverted intuition often have in mind a specific plan for how their life will develop in the future. This explains the abscence of their minds.

IRL; A co-worker calls you on the phone and says that he has a cold and won't be able to come in that day. You "see through" what he said: you "just know" it's a lie: really he has an interview at another company. You can't point to a single thing that leads you to such a specific conclusion, and yet there it is.

Extraverted Thinking; the cognitive function that lets ourselves organize information via observation. Decision making is an analytical tool that allows us to utilize 'Te', in which challenges notions based on logical sequencing. 'Te' can seek the fault in data if something does not run through this logical sequencing

IRL; Think of it like weighing the outcomes in situations by utilizing a thought process which discriminates the possible conclusions of a given event and their values against one another. Puzzle games often demand strategic thinking, and often 'Te' is used by eliminating data and making careful comparrisons against each outcome.

INTPs;

Extraverted Intuition; 'Ne' draws our attention to context and we adapt to sensory events in terms of it. 'Ne' is the attitude that what manifests a reflection of a greater reality; in simpler terms, it allows us to understand and visualize possibilities extending from previous notions, regardless of context. 'Ne' is best described as thinking outside of the box. To think outside the box, you must not obide rules that trap you in context; and instead, explore possibilities that cannot arise from a sequence in which requires linear thinking.

IRL; A really simple description of 'Ne' would be like; you're sitting at a bus stop awaiting for your bus. You see a bus pass by; that reminds you of your car; that leaps to the thought of a horrible car accident; then you contemplate life etc etc

Introverted Thinking; 'Ti' is a right-brain form of judgement that makes us aware of a situations many variables. When we use it, we recognize our power, as individuals, to exploit some variables at the expense of others. So primarily, 'Ti' is the logical tool used to understand reality, by conversing with reality; in other words, this is the linear style of 'Te' which operates within context instead and seeks possible conclusions by analyzing variables themselves.

IRL; You hear a Brahms piece that you've never heard before, and you're sure it's Brahms. How can you tell? You can't name a criterion, like the pitch of the notes, the number of notes, or some simply measurable criterion like that. You know "all at once" because of the way in which the notes all relate to each other. You sense the overall pattern as an indivisible gestalt way in which the music makes sense.

·
MOTM Nov 2009
4,132 Posts
Beyond the basic descriptions of type, it may be best if you really try to assess the functions that are most natural for you, and what are 'learned' functions, meaning that you developed them in a way that was not in a natural cycle for you. You may also want to judge your most inferior function. Do you use Fe in the most unnatural way, or Se?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the responses :happy:. I was out for a bit and I paid close attention to my communication and I'm actually going to have to say that it's mixed, yet the direct means of communication is dominant. Though, both of my parents are J so perhaps that's an influence over the course of many years.

This is definitely a tough one. I'm strong in each of those functions and I'm not exactly sure at this point, perhaps I'll need to do some more reading on the functions. From the little I've read on it, Fe sounds like my 'defense' in public and one part of the effort to conform. I believe that from what I've gathered thus far my Fe is a well-refined adaptation whereas Se is natural to myself. As far as which I tend to use irrationally, Se seems to be that function. Some of the biggest screw-ups I've had happen have been with the influence of Se. I can't really think of any at this moment with Fe.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Thank you all for the responses :happy:. I was out for a bit and I paid close attention to my communication and I'm actually going to have to say that it's mixed, yet the direct means of communication is dominant. Though, both of my parents are J so perhaps that's an influence over the course of many years.

This is definitely a tough one. I'm strong in each of those functions and I'm not exactly sure at this point, perhaps I'll need to do some more reading on the functions. From the little I've read on it, Fe sounds like my 'defense' in public and one part of the effort to conform. I believe that from what I've gathered thus far my Fe is a well-refined adaptation whereas Se is natural to myself. As far as which I tend to use irrationally, Se seems to be that function. Some of the biggest screw-ups I've had happen have been with the influence of Se. I can't really think of any at this moment with Fe.
Have you thought about Fi? Fi and Se are tertiary and inferior functions of an INTJ, so you could be closer to being one of us :tongue:

How strong is your perceiving 'function' (Not really a function) then?

·
MOTM Nov 2009
4,132 Posts
If Se is natural to you, you might also want to consider ENTJ - it may seem a 'dumb' idea at first, being of the extroverted variety, but they do have Se as their own tertiary function.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As a Tertiary Function, Fi typically leads ITJs to retreat into solitary actions that have no constructive worldly effect but are aimed at providing a justification for calling themselves good people. Another example is obsession with the purity of one's soul. For example, being a vegetarian while working at Taco Bell--not out of any great love for animals (the person might hardly know anything about what cows are like), but to be able to say, "Well, at least I never ate any animals." Or engaging in pointless acts of honor, like maintaining super-self-control or "doing one's duty" or going down with the ship. Nothing is gained by going down with the ship; it's a hyper-introverted act aimed at providing a rationalization for one's goodness without regard to real-world consequences. Nearly all of these tertiary-Fi acts involve refraining from action viewed as unethical rather than taking positive action that would accomplish something. They're a retreat from the world--or rather, a rationalization for disregarding worldly matters. (source: Introverted Feeling)
Yeah, that sounds right. It seems to me just slightly exaggerated here with the Taco Bell example, but nonetheless its accurate.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good point Grey. I was thinking about that when I took the color test over in the personality resource section. Though, while I'm good at strategy, strategically guiding others, for one, isn't my forte. I'll look into it just to be sure though. Apparently my SLOAN personality type corresponds to the ENTJ, so maybe its not such a far-fetched idea really.

·
MOTM Nov 2009
4,132 Posts
Do more research as necessary, but if you do have more questions, I encourage you to ask here. A lot of perspective can be gained from a simple inquiry.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been wondering the same for STPs. Clearly it’s more complex than merely considering the E/I dichotomy. In your case you both use Te and Ni respectively, but since Jung says that pure type is very rare and the use of your dominant function can be unhealthy it would make since that we should be closer to the middle. One difference for both NTJs and STPs is their interaction style that I reference to quite often. INTJs and ISTPs use:
Chart-the-Course™

The theme is having a course of action to follow. People of this stylefocus on knowing what to do and keeping themselves, the group, or the project on track. They prefer to enter a situation having an idea of what is to happen. They identify a process to accomplish a goal and have a somewhat contained tension as they work to create and monitor a plan. The aim is not the plan itself, but to use it as a guide to move things along toward the goal. Their informed and deliberate decisions are based on analyzing, outlining, conceptualizing or foreseeing what needs to be done.
And ENTJs and ESTPs interact with:
In-Charge™

The theme is getting things accomplished through people. People of this style are focused on results, often taking action quickly. They often have a driving energy with an intention to lead a group to the goal. They make decisions quickly to keep themselves and others on task, on target, and on time. They hate wasting time and having to back track. Mentoring, executing actions, supervising, and mobilizing resources are all ways they get things accomplished. They notice right away what is not working in a situation and become painfully aware of what needs to be fixed, healed, or corrected.

(source: http://www.intjforum.com/showthread.php?t=25496)
If that is true, then I suppose I'm introverted.

·
MOTM Nov 2009
4,132 Posts
I wouldn't judge completely on the interaction styles - you may want a bigger view to decide your extroversion or introversion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts