Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being Libertarian May Cause Autism - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

I was reading this rather underwhelming article, and was thinking about how the original researcher seemed to have set up a dichotomy with introverted intuition one one end, and feeling on the other.

Obviously I asked my self, what about the "systematizing empaths", doc?

Then, a tangent:

I think it's interesting looking at this from an autistic perspective. It makes me wonder, especially since I have a (functional) autistic father myself, and an introverted intuitive thinking mother who is scary smart and seemingly ice cold, if there might not be something like autism inversed.

I know that I consider my empathy to be at least as much a curse as it is a gift, it can be incredibly overpowering. To the point where I, if I'm not very careful, no longer have my own emotions, but those of someone else taking complete control over my own emotional state.

What do you think?

Do you think there could be a correlation between introverted intuition as a dominant cognitive function and autism?

Do you think that there might be such a thing like reverse autism?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Interesting, when I was in my depressed state, therapist speculated that I may have been a highly functioning autistic. But when I looked into it more, I realized it could not be the case because my emotions were actually too strong, so much so that it was nearly dishabilitating for a while. So my emotional problem wasn't a lack of emotions, but an overwhelming of emotions, similar to you.

I find Reason magazine to be somewhat funny. They're always looking for a way to justify libertarian ideals through personality type. I remember an article from them a while back, that took an evolutionary psychology approach to altruism. It theorized that in tribes or bands of humans, there was always some person who would steal from those who had too much to give to those who had the least, and the article viewed this characteristic as the source of communism and basically labeled it a malignant psychological disorder.

Perhaps too much emotion can be as bad as too little emotion. The problem is when both extremes on the spectrum get confused as the same exact thing.

I think this article may apply more to INTJ cause they don't have Fe as an auxiliary function like the INFJ do.

We have empathic intuition for better or worse. Good thread, btw

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Maximus

It's the first article of theirs I read, but that's the feeling I got also. That they started with the conclusion, and then collected data that supported it.

And thank you, I do try ;)

Reactions: Maximus

·
Super Moderator
11,699 Posts
Upon reading your OP, my very first thought was INTJs are the cousins of INFJs. They use Te and we use Fe as auxillary functions. Te the systemizer and Fe the empathizer, repectively. Sounds like your mom may be INTJ. What type do you think your dad is?

Reactions: Sheppard

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Dalien

He was professionally tested as an ENTJ during his service about five years back or so. And my mother, on the online cognitive function test, tested as an INTJ, which explained A LOT.

They make a cute couple... if watched from the safe distance of a fallout shelter :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Um. What. I'm not following.
(Could be that I've had too much sugar today >.>)

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Um. What. I'm not following.
(Could be that I've had too much sugar today >.>)
The original article isn't really all that interesting, at least to me. Other than the fact that there was a researcher who studied how people scored on a "Empathizer - Systematizer" scale. Systematizing, the description, it sounded a lot like my own Ni black box to me.

"the drive to analyze the variables in a system, and to derive the underlying rules that govern the behavior of the system."
Well, I would assume that most people here are both empathizers AND systermizers. We create an internal framework for emotional language, much like our INTJ friends do for information systems.

Do I have this right so far?

Well, reading on, the original researcher links autism to Systematizing / introverted intuition.

And I can see that being the case. Or, better, I can see how that may develop in certain cases. It's likely a lot more complicated than that, especially since we are already using a simplified model of the psyche in the MBTI, aren't we?

As I said, reading that, I asked myself what about those people that emphatsize and systemize. They don't fit into this research at all. INFJs are not accounted for. And then I wondered about the nature of autism... and how it was problematic for the autistic person, who cannot comprehend social and emotional cues. And then I thought about myself, who gets overwhelmed with social and emotional cues.

And I wondered... if perhaps there is the opposite of Autism. And if INFJs could be prone to that in some cases. And if so, if there was a name for it.

I don't remember who it was, but when I first started posting here I saw an INFJ say that he was autistic. And that I didn't really understand, since... how can you be a feeler... but not be aware of social cues, of emotional cues. But, it's starting to make sense to me now, though I do wonder if that should, in fact, be labeled autism.

Hm. I hope this helps a little.

·
Super Moderator
11,699 Posts
You have me thinking hard about your OP. I found this:

Robert Finn - Williams Syndrome

PS This is suppose to be the opposite of autism...well, as close as, it can be recognized.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Interesting, when I was in my depressed state, therapist speculated that I may have been a highly functioning autistic. But when I looked into it more, I realized it could not be the case because my emotions were actually too strong, so much so that it was nearly dishabilitating for a while. So my emotional problem wasn't a lack of emotions, but an overwhelming of emotions, similar to you.
For a while, I thought I might be highly functioning autistic... but I don't think that's it since I've realized I'm INFJ. It's that I empathize so strongly with people, I'm forced to block that empathy mentally, or I start crying. As I've matured, I've been less adamant about blocking it, but when I was younger, I'd do it automatically without thinking.

Like when I see all those starving people in Somalia, it always makes me cry now.

But I am libertarian, and I think this stems largely from me separating my empathy from my core decision making processes. I had to learn to do what is right, independent of what I feel. This creates a cold, analytical mind.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Ni and Fe combination, feed into each other greatly. So I feel it's very important for an INFJ to have a balanced Ti on par with their Fe to help weather the storms.
I wonder if that's what it is when I find myself able to handle emotional storms from others in a calm, but "aloof" state. I feel like an observer, emotionally not disconnected, but also, not linked. Is that what Ti "feels" like?

·
Super Moderator
11,699 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
I wonder if that's what it is when I find myself able to handle emotional storms from others in a calm, but "aloof" state. I feel like an observer, emotionally not disconnected, but also, not linked. Is that what Ti "feels" like?
Others may feel differently, but I'd agree with that.

It's amazing how you can clearly noticed when other lower functions are gaining greater prominence in your psyche. A long story short, a few months ago, I had a panic attack in my doctor's office (complications related to my father's death), and while sitting in the waiting room, I looked on the surface totally fine, but perhaps with more a stoic blankness. The doctor called me in, we started chit chating, catching up, but the whole time I was still having a panic attack. He then took my heart-rate and blood pressure and freaked out, then I calmly explained to him, I'm having a panic attack, etc...

What I noticed, was as my heart rate and breathing started to increase, I just started thinking about what was happening inside my body. I thought to myself, "hmmm...my adrenaline is pouring into my bloodstream. My heart is increasing the blood flow and transportation, my lungs are demanding more oxygen for fight or flight movement, etc..." I was just thinking all this in my head after I stopped thinking about the emotional loss that caused me to feel uncomfortable there. I think that was my Ti coming in and helping me out, by enabling me to look at the situation more as a detached observer.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is absolutely fascinating stuff. I read your other link, too. The Williams Syndrome one. I'm not quite sure how to place that into my own framework yet, since it goes into neurology rather than psychology, and my neurology knowledge is still quite virginal. They do exhibit some very interesting traits. Some of which I can see in myself. As a kid I was always told I "talk funny" for example, because I used larger words. I'm not elven faced, though. And my IQ tests and so forth were pretty decent. Phew, it could be much worse ;)

f I had a degree of my own, I knew what I'd love to research now.

Thank you very much for both links :)

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Others may feel differently, but I'd agree with that.

It's amazing how you can clearly noticed when other lower functions are gaining greater prominence in your psyche. A long story short, a few months ago, I had a panic attack in my doctor's office (complications related to my father's death), and while sitting in the waiting room, I looked on the surface totally fine, but perhaps with more a stoic blankness. The doctor called me in, we started chit chating, catching up, but the whole time I was still having a panic attack. He then took my heart-rate and blood pressure and freaked out, then I calmly explained to him, I'm having a panic attack, etc...

What I noticed, was as my heart rate and breathing started to increase, I just started thinking about what was happening inside my body. I thought to myself, "hmmm...my adrenaline is pouring into my bloodstream. My heart is increasing the blood flow and transportation, my lungs are demanding more oxygen for fight or flight movement, etc..." I was just thinking all this in my head after I stopped thinking about the emotional loss that caused me to feel uncomfortable there. I think that was my Ti coming in and helping me out, by enabling me to look at the situation more as a detached observer.
My deepest condolences. Free hug?

That sounds so eerily familiar what you described there. Among the info sorting storm currently going on in my head, one thought that comes out, reading your reply, and finding it correspond to my own experiences... Jung was genius, wasn't he. :)

That man impresses me more and more.

Haha. Let the intjs say again that they can't see the value in "Fe",... while they are wearing the INTJ tag, corresponding with other so similar to themselves in this forum :)

·
Super Moderator
11,699 Posts
I have wondered about this myself. When someone is in an emotional crisis, I'm able to keep it together and help them keep it together. May just be Ti joining. But, when I'm in an emotional crisis, that is another story! Years ago, I had anxiety attacks and an out-of-body experience. I can hyperventilate easily. So, I see it as that I don't have the ability to use Ti for me emotionally. Yet, I have learned how to harness my emotions. Go figure! :)

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have wondered about this myself. When someone is in an emotional crisis, I'm able to keep it together and help them keep it together. May just be Ti joining. But, when I'm in an emotional crisis, that is another story! Years ago, I had anxiety attacks and an out-of-body experience. I can hyperventilate easily. So, I see it as that I don't have the ability to use Ti for me emotionally. Yet, I have learned how to harness my emotions. Go figure! :)
We'll get there. Heh. Everything is going to be alright ;)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts