Personality Cafe banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey there!

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or thoughts about inverted sleep cycles, (not the disorder kind) like actually swapping your sleep from 00:01am - 08:00am to 18:00pm - 02:00am.

I'm highly introverted, and I work in a very extroverted job (kindergarten), and everyday I get home I fall asleep, as my body and mind relaxes when I sit in my chair.
Often this results in me sleeping for 3 hours, and screwing up my regular sleep cycle.

I'm very aware there is better ways to cope with being tired, but I would like to stay up at nights for personal reasons.
Next week I'm going to try sleep directly after I get home, and sleep until like 2:00am. Then stay up until 7:30am and take a power nap for 15 minutes. After that I will head to work.
I have no problems falling asleep at any given time.
Ideally this will allow me to:
- sleep longer (if desired), and avoid oversleeping
- enjoy my free-time as I would be rested
- Be able to stay awake at work as I would have to be in focus, and I would not be drained by social interactions before work.

It might backfire though and cause me to get absolutely tired towards the end of the day, but I hope this won't happen.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
My sleep cycle turns upside down on its own. My job doesn't have a regular schedule and if I'm not at a client's office, I'm working from home. So if there's several days in a row where I don't go anywhere, my days and nights will naturally flip flop. But I do find it more difficult to go to work in the day if I've been up all night, regardless if it's only 7 hours into my waking day.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sometimes my sleep gets inverted when i'm not entertained enough for one day.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Oh, my sleep cycle constantly gets inverted, I don't think I've lasted on a relatively normal sleep cycle for more than 2 weeks in a row for the past decade. I guess it's just that even if I know it's healthier and easier in regards to society, I just keep reverting back to staying up at night. I think it's because it's quieter, with no demands, I don't have to feel bad about being unproductive and in times of grey weather I definitely find the dark merrier.

When I last attended school I got into the rhythm of staying up at night to get homework done and whatnot, then go to school (feeling more alert and better than if I had slept all night) and then more or less fall asleep when I got home - only problem was of course how irregular a school schedule is - if I got home at noon some days and then went to sleep, but then at other times had to stay until late afternoon it got very problematic to stay alert.

My mom is also a night owl, but mostly she has night shifts and then of course it's no issue.
I also cannot do powernaps...how even?!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts