Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so we have a trust we need to invest into dividend stock and we want to go the route of Mid or Large cap ETFs and Mutual Funds since we want to park it for the long run and glean some dividends off the stock.

The question I have is Tri-fold. Does anyone with any experience trading know of any good ETF's / Mutual Funds hopefully heavier in dividends than the average? Would you suggest investing in a REITs ETF? Would you recommend waiting for the market to crash again before investing since it has pretty much recovered from the last crash?

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I've thought about it, and tried to labor through financial articles and blogs because of my pride that I feel like I can understand at least a little about many things especially if they are explained in writing.
Plus of course Ni and the anticipation of human behavior should make it easy.

But nope. It comes back to numbers and they - literally - hurt my brain.
Maybe someday.

·
Registered
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
3,680 Posts
I'd stay far away from it. I don't trust its "recovery."
When the corporate media is raving about how great the stock market is doing, that's when I'd hold the most caution.

And can one seriously believe this level of pomposity?

"Hitting new highs over 100 times"? So you're eclipsing the last bubble basically.
Please remember that the stock market or things like GDP are no indicator of how well most people are doing economically.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
i have wanted to learn this, because hey, it is useful, helpful.
i have worked for a company that had its own stocks and i remember the pamphlet being so hard to read. i also find mail i receive from the government, other formal writing to be so overdone, overwritten. i need a dictionary for every sentence.
anyway, one day..!

my short response is, no i don't know anything :nonchalance:

i have been meaning actually to do some banking but keep putting it off (5 months now whoops!). a new account or credit card---credit card's not difficult but i find myself in the same position of too many words and too much fluff to read. makes you think it's a scam, they want to trick you; i have even met a banker like that.
this should totally be taught in high school home economics, right

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Ok, so we have a trust we need to invest into dividend stock and we want to go the route of Mid or Large cap ETFs and Mutual Funds since we want to park it for the long run and glean some dividends off the stock.

The question I have is Tri-fold. Does anyone with any experience trading know of any good ETF's / Mutual Funds hopefully heavier in dividends than the average? Would you suggest investing in a REITs ETF? Would you recommend waiting for the market to crash again before investing since it has pretty much recovered from the last crash?
Right now, I would probably invest in cryptocurrencies.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I have a Mutual Fund IRA with a Robo-Advisor--So yes, I have stock/bond investment experience, but not actually figuring out which ones to invest in myself.

·
Banned
3,147 Posts
I used to study this as a hobby of sorts and learned enough to not bother and frankly impressed that it all has lasted long as it has but one day as it always does the shoe will drop then far too many people will be left holding the bag. As the old saying goes if you don't hold it you don't own it.

·
MOTM October 2013
6,445 Posts
I think they're in the midst of crashing, actually.

Wish I knew more to help, but I don't. If you have a sizeable chunk of money, you might look into hiring someone to give you a one-time consultation/advice session.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I think they're in the midst of crashing, actually.

Wish I knew more to help, but I don't. If you have a sizeable chunk of money, you might look into hiring someone to give you a one-time consultation/advice session.
Alas, I don't.

I just bought a house and University fees took care of the rest of it.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Stocks, especially US have been bloated and overpriced after 10 years of growing, so at some point there might be some major correction or bear market. USA almost had one and only retracting on the decision to raise interest rates prevented the slide. I'm no expert on it, but occasionally I follow some news and commentaries and it seems that there might be little to earn left until the next crash.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Before I started reading the posts, I thought there's gonna be INTP who would mention crypto. My advice would be Bitcoin, as many cryptocurrencies are just scam. Bitcoin right now has the biggest chances of succeeding.

Reactions: Aridela

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Before I started reading the posts, I thought there's gonna be INTP who would mention crypto. My advice would be Bitcoin, as many cryptocurrencies are just scam. Bitcoin right now has the biggest chances of succeeding.
I am getting paid in crypto on occasion.

Most go up and down sure, but I view it as an experiment more than anything else.

I have money coming in from several different streams, so that's just for.. research purposes.

·
Registered
INFJ
113 Posts
While this is a great forum, i strongly suggest that you do not seek investment advice from an MBTI site. You can do this yourself without paying high management fees but you have a lot to learn about risk tolerance, asset allocation, taxes and developing your own investment policy. I suggest that you visit Bogleheads.org and read, read, read before making any moves with your money.

I’m in the USA and recently sold my small business and retired in my early 50s. I am a long time investor that believes in free market capitalism. Time is your best friend. Learn about investments, develop a plan and stick with it through thick and thin. In the long term you can’t help but do well.

Congratulations on your economic optimism and all the best to you!

·
Banned
3,147 Posts
Stocks, especially US have been bloated and overpriced after 10 years of growing, so at some point there might be some major correction or bear market. USA almost had one and only retracting on the decision to raise interest rates prevented the slide. I'm no expert on it, but occasionally I follow some news and commentaries and it seems that there might be little to earn left until the next crash.
What goes up always comes down sometimes crashingly so.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts