Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! My name is Emma and I am a bit hesitant to declare myself as rather an INFP or INTP. I have been confused for a while now as to which type I truly am. Let me explain.

My first exposure to the MBTI was in 9th grade when one of my teachers had us take the test online. I recall scoring INFP. Reading the description, it is pretty accurate. However, there are a few key things that did not resonate with me at all. A lot of the descriptions about INFPs have stated that they tend to dismiss logic and approach conflict situations from the perspective of their feelings. This definitely isn't the case with me, in fact, quite the opposite. I have always trusted far more in reasoning of the mind than reasoning of the heart, so to speak. In this respect, I didn't relate to the INFP description. As time passed, I forgot about it. A few years later, I took it again (for a different class) and scored INTP. Again, the description was fairly accurate except for a few things. Most descriptions I have stumbled upon have described INTPs as being unaware of the emotional needs of others or often becoming overly critical of people. I am definitely not unaware of the emotional needs of others and I am quite empathetic.
Many have suggested that I perhaps am rather just a logical INFP or a compassionate INTP. (A lot of my friends can't even tell which one I am).
Here is a little more information about me-self... I could use another perspective!

How I was as a kid:
As a kid, I was very, very quiet and observant. I was always coming up with strange ideas and inventions and attempting to create/implement them. I had a vivid imagination and loved writing stories and even painted pictures to go along with the stories. Life to me was (and still is) like a giant puzzle that I kept/keep finding pieces to and the more pieces I discover, the clearer the picture becomes and the greater my understanding of it is. I loved being outside, climbing trees and collecting rocks at the beach. I was always so intrigued particularly by rocks. I remember walking to school and picking up cool rocks I found and putting them in my backpack... my backpack became so heavy that I could barely pick it up and my teacher had me to put all the rocks back outside. (haha!) Looking back, I am positive that a lot of other kids saw me as a bit weird (since I had the strange habit of narrating everything I did and talking to myself without actually realizing it). I was pretty well behaved yet still had a large streak of mischief/chronic curiosity... generally though, I have always been content sitting back and observing.

My hobbies/interests:
This list is endless. It would take me FOREVER to write down all of my hobbies/interests. I will narrow them down. Some of my main hobbies include: playing the guitar, piano, bass guitar, drums, and the violin. I love writing (poems usually) and painting/drawing/collaging even. I do all sorts of forms of art. I also spend a considerably large amount of time doing research on any particular thing that has peaked my interest. It could be the French Revolution, it could be researching DNA, it could be anything. Of the thousands of things that peak my interest, language has to be my favorite. I am bilingual, I speak both Spanish and English as well as I dabble in many other languages. (I try and at least learn common greetings in any language I come across). The latest has been Icelandic among others. The structure and development of language has always intrigued me as it seems to come very naturally to me.

Other misc. things:
One thing in particular I have noticed over the years is that a lot of people rather A.) do not understand or, B.) do not appreciate my sense of humor. One of my best friends growing up was an ENTP, and I recall bantering non-stop for hours on end, making ourselves laugh so hard we would be on the ground in pain. Usually the reason a lot of people do not appreciate it is that my sense of humor has always been very dry, abstract, very off the wall random/"weird" and quite morbid. Generally I try and rein in my sense of humor until I am comfortable with someone as not to horrify them (since not many understand it or may find it offensive!). I haven't been able to find much about the correlation between humor and personality type... so if anyone knows anything, don't hesitate to say so!

I hope this is sufficient information for someone to share their input! As I stated earlier, I really could use another perspective. Thanks for your time, I appreciate it greatly!
-Emma

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
This is rather difficult. I can identify with the writing poetry, the research, the narration, the morbid humor, and the wide array of hobbies, but that doesn't necessarily exclude INTPs. My INTP sister is the same, except perhaps, minus the poetry as she got older and more emphasis on research.

When you got into arguments (with your parents or peers, especially as a child) did you cry easily?

I don't think the answer to this question is a defining factor, but it does separate me from my INTP sister.

I also tested as INTP from time to time, but concluded I was INFP because I realize my personal convictions and eagerness to please far trump my desire to learn everything and think. The way people think and feel and exist interest me more than anything else, creative self-expression is my primary hobby, and I spend significantly less time trying to learn how things work.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very helpful, thank you!

Generally, there weren't many arguments that I recall (as my mom is INFP and my dad INTP... pretty peaceful)... If I did something wrong, my Dad would just have to give me a stern look to get the point across. It is fair to say I was pretty sensitive. I didn't cry easily, but if I did something wrong, I would usually end up confessing. In that sense, I could see myself leaning more towards the feeling preference.

The one thing that confuses me when I think about this is my eagerness to help others and my eagerness to understand how things work is nearly equal... it is hard for me to say which one I am leaning more towards. This is great food for thought.

Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts