Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm absolutely IN P, it's that pesky F vs. T function that really gets me! I'm female, and at times DO really feel very F and at other times I'm like no... not so much.. "sorry, off with your head." (indicating that at times I can be very blunt and emotionally rational). hmmm.. even though the Queen in Alice In Wonderland was clearly not rational.. but that's another topic.. I digress...
When I test, I'm either a very low F or a very low T. It varies just by a hair. I seem to be right on that border. That's a little frustrating for me. Why? Because there are times when I feel if I really am INFP I should be more caring about certain things (which I'm not), and if I really am a INTP I probably really shouldn't be quite so emotional about some things (which I am)... Basically I'm a little bit of a mess... grrrrrrrrr :) Anyone else out there feel like they border a particular function? How's that going for you?

·
MOTM Nov 2009
4,132 Posts
I am assured of my type, but I can definitely relate to the idea of 'If I were this type, I wouldn't be so [x]'. I suggest you move away from tests and attempt to really evaluate who you are in this split. Additionally, perhaps you should consider a functional approach, which I find gives greater insight into the nuances of each type.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
318 Posts
to me, the split between NT and NF is actually rather large. It comes with a completely different set of self image standards and different values.

NTs (rationals)

Self image is based on:

Self-Esteem comes from being Ingenious, Rationals are proud of themselves when they are smart or clever, and to a degree much greater than other types.

Self respect comes from being autonomous (my NT friends were bothered by the fact that they were financially dependent on their parents as teenagers, rationals respect themselves to the degree they can take care of themselves and do not need to rely on other people).

Self Confidence comes from being resolute. Rationals are confident in the degree that they are firm in their commitments and have a strong will. The stronger a rational's will, the more confident they are in a given situation.

Values:

Being - Calm. Rationals prize the ability to keep their cool in any situation, and not being overwhelmed or controlled by outside events.

Trusting - Reason. Rationals trust their logic to provide them with the best solution or path to follow. They would for example make a decision by forming a pros and cons list and then weighing the one against the other, taking the logical route of choosing the path with the higher gain and lower loss.

Yearning for - Achievement. NT's strive to accomplish things, they set their goals and pursue them voraciously, setting ever higher and higher bars for themselves and feeling very poorly when they do not meet their self-imposed requirements.

Seeking - Knowledge. NT's want to constantly collect useful knowledge, as a friend put it "always leveling up your skills and stats" and hopefully spending your time wisely to amass the greatest amount of knowledge and skills so that you are prepared for any situation.

Aspiring to be - The Wizard. NT's highest goal is to be the master of knowledge, no matter how arcane or insignificant seeming. To be the one who understands how to do everything and can accomplish feats that seem to the layman to be almost magical, actions so complex and requiring so much study and dedication that no one really understands the process except the NT themselves.

Idealists(NFs)

Self Image is based on:

Self-Esteem: Empathy. NF's see ourselves as valuable to the extent that we can read people, understand them, and connect with them heart to heart. If we try to reach out to someone but find we've misread them and used the wrong approach, we feel deeply shamed and embarrassed that we were wrong.

Self-Respect: Benevolence. Idealists respect ourselves to the degree that we can maintain an attitude of goodwill towards the rest of humanity. People and times may try our patience and our faith to great extremes, but being able to still feel love towards all of the universe is the greatest measure of our respect for ourselves, that despite everything, we still see the good in everyone.

Self-Confidence: Authenticity. We Idealists have a constant drive to"Be ourselves", we hate when people put up masks and hide their true feelings, and we can't stand it when we do it ourselves. An NF feels like they can do anything as long as they are being true to who they are and not bottling themselves up for anyone.

Values:

Being - Enthusiastic. Enthusiasm and encouragement are the bread and butter of the Idealist, we love to be the source of energy in our groups, especially the more extroverted Idealists.

Trusting - Intuition. NFs will weigh the options when the path is unclear, but in the end, we will follow our hearts and listen to our intuition. We trust it to be all the little subconscious things that we don't exactly notice but which pull us in a certain direction. We couldn't tell you exactly WHY such and such is a good idea, we just know that it is. And many times, out intuition turns out to be right.

Yearning - Romance. This is a huge one for me personally. Idealists cannot live without love. One and all, we are incurable hopeless romantics. We yearn for a soul mate, someone to share our deepest inner worlds with, who we will love unconditionally and be loved in return. Love is not something we can take or leave, it's a vital part of who we are and a restless longing we must deal with every day.

Seeking - Identity. NF's want to know, one and all, the person we most truly ARE. We wish to become the person that we are deep down, to reconcile with all the parts of ourselves we reject, and to gain total consciousness, accepting ourselves and all of our faults and fears and inconsistencies and becoming self-actualized. We are on a journey our entire lives to become truly in touch with ourselves and our inner hidden feelings, gaining full control of all our mental functions, and allowing them to live in harmony within the complex tapestry that is our "Self".

Prizing - Recognition of our inner selves. We all have to put on our social masks to survive in modern society. We have to act calm and polite in public, we have to do things that are expected of us, and we have to submerge our own feelings for the good of the group. NFs are usually constantly afraid that we will be mistaken for the social roles we play, and never have anyone understand who we really are deep down. When someone can see through the surface to the real person behind the masks, it makes us jump for joy that we are appreciated for who we are, not just what we do.

Aspiring to become - The Sage. The sage is a mystical figure, one who overcomes mundane, worldly concerns, and who aspires to the philosophic view of life. To transcend the material world (and thus gain insight into the essence of things), to transcend the senses (and thus gain knowledge of the soul), to transcend the ego ( and thus become united with all of creation) to transcend even time (and thus feel the force of past lives and future wisdoms); these are the loft goals of the sage, an in their heart of hearts all Idealists honor this quest.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts