Personality Cafe banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. I need help! I joined these forums long ago when I was first interested in finding out personality types and I thought I narrowed myself down to a INxJ and that was good enough for me at that time, but I have returned with doubts.

I have recently gone through a life change and my job is being cut at the end of this school year. I found this out four days after my husband lost his job. I am a rather private person and dealing with questions from friends has been difficult to say the least. I am wondering what I should do next in my career path and am now very interested in figuring out my MBTI type to help me in this matter.

So, I believe I am INxx. I usually test as an INFJ or an INTJ, but have also received INFP and INTP. I have read about the functions of each type, but I can find different qualities that match and do not match in each type.

Here are some things about me:

I am a 27 year old female.
Type 5w4 or Type 4w5

• Decision making can be a struggle for me, because I need to analyze all of the possible options. If it is an unimportant decision such as which fast food place to go to, I really don't care about deciding.
  • I value knowledge immensely and enjoy learning.
  • My profession is a social worker and I have a drive to help.
  • I am drained around other people, but I feel ...empty when I am not working with others.
  • I tend to just know how people are feeling at times, such as knowing when my husband is mad/sad/frustrated.
  • Reading is a task I enjoy.
  • Distraction is a high possibility due to getting lost in my thinking and analysis of the world or people in the world.
  • I misplace important items like my phone and car keys constantly.
  • Interested in occult studies, spiritual research, and searching for the meaning of life.
  • Very philosophical and love theories.
  • Planner, constantly thinking about the future.
  • I am terrible at math and science.
  • I excel in the humanities, and write poetry/prose in my free time.
  • I have a wide range of acquaintances, but only 1-2 close friends.
  • If I am mad, I can let it go in a matter of minutes; however, if a friend wrongs me after I put trust in them, I will never forgive them.
  • At times, I can explode with emotion.
  • Anxiety is an issue for me.
  • Stubborn.
  • Animal lover, especially cats.
  • I can get into arguments with people when they are not liberal and make discriminatory jokes (especially when drinking).
  • Personalities can drive me insane if I am around a person for too long. Luckily, this does not happen with my husband. It does with everyone else.
  • I hate deadlines.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Will this help?

0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

I am currently going through a stressful time in my life. My husband and I both lost our jobs in the same week. I am a 27 year old female.

1. Click on this link: Flicker: Explore Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.

https : //www . flickr . com /photos/droehrli/16773223213/

A storm is coming. Beautiful, yet possibly disastrous and the potential of disaster makes the scene all the more beautiful. A realization that a part of life may be dark, uninviting, and harsh. I love the combination of the tranquil greens and chaotic sky. An owl is hiding in the clouds.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

Be disappointed and figure out how to find a solution. I would not fix the car (as I would not know how), but I would try to figure out how to get to the concert. Is there a way we can get to the nearest town and rent a car? Does anyone have relatives near? Friends? My outward reaction would depend on how other people in the car were acting. I may try to calm others down or work with them to find a solution. I may act like it is the end of the world if the concert is utterly important to me.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the after party that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?

Yay, sounds like fun! Let's go!

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?

I would discuss the claim and try to figure out why my friend thinks that way. If I thought it was prejudice or discriminatory, I would correct them right away. If it was simply a different belief or thought, I would probably ask questions to figure out the reasoning behind that belief.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?

This is difficult for me to answer because it would largely depend on what it is exactly I saw or experienced. If another person is being harmed or people were saying/doing discriminatory things, I would get myself involved. If it was something minor and someone was breaking a petty law and no one was being harmed, I would let it go.

Although, if it was a general idea that somehow called other people inferior, I would discuss my point of view. Because I would be right. :)

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

I am very loyal and keep secrets easily. I am there for people and strive to be helpful. Treating everyone kind is important to me. These values seemed to have just existed within me. I am not sure they necessarily change, but they can be very flexible depending on the circumstances.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about your personality, what would it be? Why?

I would say that I am a bit weird and eccentric in my ideas and style. I also have a large inner world that not a lot of people see. Being in my head a lot makes it difficult for me to always focus on the external world. At times, I worry that people think I am rude for this reason. If I could change one thing about my personality, it would be my ability to become distracted. If I am around a specific person or personality for a large amount of time, I can become quite sick of it. Especially if that person is not flexible.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered

I work with them in my current environment. I experience hunches or gut feelings quite often. I usually think about them and analyze them within their specific context. If I have a hunch or a gut feeling about another person, I will ask them about it, depending on how close we are.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

I am energized by reading, playing video games, learning, and spending time just resting. I also enjoy yoga and really want to start a meditation practice. Whenever I go to music concerts, I become energized by the music in the air and the people all around me. It is very strange because I hate large crowds of people.

Activities that drain me include large crowds, cardio exercise, small talk, and crappy conversation (gossip). I hate going to get my haircut because I know the stylist will ask me all kinds of redundant questions.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?

I am really not sure how to answer this question.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Welcome to the forums :)

You sound like an INFP, but that could my own observer bias. Things that I do/say may say "INFP" to me, but that doesn't mean that they are exclusive to INFPs. Namely the emotion explosions, the inner world, you like theories (Ne), a few close friends.

You say you are a planner. How hard is it to actually follow through with a plan?

Here's a vid on INFPs:

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Welcome to the forums :)

You sound like an INFP, but that could my own observer bias. Things that I do/say may say "INFP" to me, but that doesn't mean that they are exclusive to INFPs. Namely the emotion explosions, the inner world, you like theories (Ne), a few close friends.

You say you are a planner. How hard is it to actually follow through with a plan?

Here's a vid on INFPs:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
First of all, hi fellow 27-year-old female :) Let's try this, I'll try to select each of your descriptions and see which function I think it belongs to. Sorry if I get something wrong, it's what I think and I'm fairly new to all the functions

• Ne+ Decision making can be a struggle for me, because I need to analyze all of the possible options. If it is an unimportant decision such as which fast food place to go to, I really don't care about deciding.
  • Ti+ I value knowledge immensely and enjoy learning.
  • Fe+ My profession is a social worker and I have a drive to help.
  • Fe++ I am drained around other people, but I feel ...empty when I am not working with others.
  • Fe+ Ni+ I tend to just know how people are feeling at times, such as knowing when my husband is mad/sad/frustrated.
  • Ti? Reading is a task I enjoy.
  • Ne+++ Distraction is a high possibility due to getting lost in my thinking and analysis of the world or people in the world.
  • Se-Te- I misplace important items like my phone and car keys constantly.
  • Ni++ Interested in occult studies, spiritual research, and searching for the meaning of life.
  • Ti Ni Very philosophical and love theories.
  • Te Ne Planner, constantly thinking about the future.
  • ?? really no idea sorry I am terrible at math and science.
  • (possibly) Fi+ I excel in the humanities, and write poetry/prose in my free time.
  • I have a wide range of acquaintances, but only 1-2 close friends.
  • Fi(?) If I am mad, I can let it go in a matter of minutes; however, if a friend wrongs me after I put trust in them, I will never forgive them.
  • Ni Ne At times, I can explode with emotion.
  • (I feel you sis) P+ Anxiety is an issue for me.
  • Stubborn.
  • Fe Animal lover, especially cats.
  • Fe I can get into arguments with people when they are not liberal and make discriminatory jokes (especially when drinking).
  • Fe Personalities can drive me insane if I am around a person for too long. Luckily, this does not happen with my husband. It does with everyone else.
  • Te--- I hate deadlines.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.
So, for what you've said your clearest function is Fe and then Ni. So you're probably an INFJ. Your Ne (and Ti) seems quite high as well, so you might as well be an INTP with a very high Fe. I'd totally dismiss INTJ, because I don't see Te, and INFP because I think you're more of a Fe rather than a Fi.

:) hope that helped

I edit because: I'm assuming you're introverted only because you said so. You could easily be ENFJ as well :kitteh:

·
Registered
INFP(?) 9w1 sp/sx ♀
1,221 Posts
Like @bigstupidgrin said, I think there's some bias from my observations as well, being INFP. You sound a lot like an INFP, but @olonny offered a great breakdown of your original post, and I'm not by any means an expert (or even experienced :tongue:) at identifying functions from behaviors, but I'd say it was very well-done.

I'm not experienced, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but the dislike of small-talk and how important your values are to you seems quite Fi to me (I'm only going off of personal experience and observations of people I interact with, which, I'll admit, is a rather short list). The dominant/auxiliary functions are messing me up (Fi/Ne or Ni/Fe). I read somewhere that in human nature, Fi is the authentic, remaining-true-to-self function, and Fe is the adaptable, survival-geared function, but I'm still not exactly sure which one you identify more with. I know you use intuition somewhere, but I'm not exactly sure if it is Ni or Ne. I'd rule out INTJ, and I'd still possibly consider INTP, but INFP and INFJ both seem likely (Leaning towards INFP, mainly from the questionnaire; strong adherence to values above all shows Fi-dominance and fondness of theories/ideas seems very Ne-auxiliary, and you sound more like the INFPs I know than the INFJs I know, but then again, everyone is unique in their own special ways :happy:).

I guess all I can really suggest, if you're really interested in this, is researching the functions and seeing which ones you identify most with. What you test as (online) may not really show you what you really are.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Here's a good question to narrow down Feeling or Thinking:

Agree or disagree (in general terms): "The ends justify the means"

Observation I've seen in these forums below in white text:

Thinkers agree, feelers disagree.

·
Birdie Borracho
9,380 Posts
First of all, hi fellow 27-year-old female :) Let's try this, I'll try to select each of your descriptions and see which function I think it belongs to. Sorry if I get something wrong, it's what I think and I'm fairly new to all the functions
So, for what you've said your clearest function is Fe and then Ni. So you're probably an INFJ. Your Ne (and Ti) seems quite high as well, so you might as well be an INTP with a very high Fe. I'd totally dismiss INTJ, because I don't see Te, and INFP because I think you're more of a Fe rather than a Fi.
Things like being a social worker do not guarantee Fe. In fact, it is common for Fi doms to want to help people because Fi doms are often compassionate. They maintain their own feelings, instead of adopting to the group. I won't be too critical of your analysis however, because you are probably a cute 27 year old ENTP.
@shadowofeve, my vote is for INFP.

Reactions: shadowofeve

·
Registered
1,420 Posts

So, I would like to know more about that statement and how does it make you a feeler or a thinker if you agree or disagree. I mean. Especially if you take it as a general thing and do not see its specifications

Things like being a social worker do not guarantee Fe. In fact, it is common for Fi doms to want to help people because Fi doms are often compassionate. They maintain their own feelings, instead of adopting to the group. I won't be too critical of your analysis however, because you are probably a cute 27 year old ENTP.

@shadowofeve, my vote is for INFP.
Go ahead and be critical, please. I would like to read anything you have to say and I want to learn in the process. Ideas and learning, as you might know, are what moves us, ENTPs. Not calling us cute :)

·
Birdie Borracho
9,380 Posts
Go ahead and be critical, please. I would like to read anything you have to say and I want to learn in the process. Ideas and learning, as you might know, are what moves us, ENTPs. Not calling us cute :)
I kind of already was critical when I proposed a counter to your opinion. There wasn't anything left to add so I gave an awkward ENTP compliment. As far as a real compliment, you write well and you have the right attitude for what you want to achieve in life.

Of let's be critical:

Ne+ Decision making can be a struggle for me, because I need to analyze all of the possible options. If it is an unimportant decision such as which fast food place to go to, I really don't care about deciding. This is more of a Pe kind of statement, sensors can waste time analyzing, too.
Ti+ I value knowledge immensely and enjoy learning. A generic statement. If I had to vote, it would be iNtuition, leaning.
Fe+ My profession is a social worker and I have a drive to help. Already pointed this out
Fe++ I am drained around other people, but I feel ...empty when I am not working with others. The first half of the sentence implies introvert, the second implies feeling. Feelers prefer relationships over facts, and Fi doms can like people, too.
Fe+ Ni+ I tend to just know how people are feeling at times, such as knowing when my husband is mad/sad/frustrated. Fi users can definitely be intuned with how others are feeling. The difference between Fe and Fi, in this situation, would be whether the person adapts their feelings to match the mood or tries to change their spouse to adapt a positive mood. This was not stated, so I could assume that thhis user does not worry about changing the mood, but rather just notices it.
Ti? Reading is a task I enjoy. Again, doesn't add much
Ne+++ Distraction is a high possibility due to getting lost in my thinking and analysis of the world or people in the world. Agree about Ne
Se-Te- I misplace important items like my phone and car keys constantly. I'd say inferior Te would be correct
Ni++ Interested in occult studies, spiritual research, and searching for the meaning of life. This is just an iNtuitive statement. Both NJs & NPs like thinking about the big picture rather than focusing on immediate surroundings. But to pinpoint it more, this strikes me as an NF vibe
Ti Ni Very philosophical and love theories. iNutitive, again
Te Ne Planner, constantly thinking about the future. This is a contrasting statement of tertiary Si and auxilary Ne. Since the user is 27 years old, tertiary Si should be reasonably developed. The keys, however, is that planning is always done with the future in mind.
?? really no idea sorry I am terrible at math and science.
(possibly) Fi+ I excel in the humanities, and write poetry/prose in my free time. A NF thing to brag about.
I have a wide range of acquaintances, but only 1-2 close friends. introvert
Fi(?) If I am mad, I can let it go in a matter of minutes; however, if a friend wrongs me after I put trust in them, I will never forgive them. This is a balance of Fi and Si. The Fi decides how to handle the emotion, and the Si will never forget.
Ni Ne At times, I can explode with emotion.
(I feel you sis) P+ Anxiety is an issue for me.
Stubborn.
Fe Animal lover, especially cats. I've found more Fi users to be more enthralled by animals. Fe users can like/love animals, but they generally like people more.
Fe I can get into arguments with people when they are not liberal and make discriminatory jokes (especially when drinking). Vague. Although at this point, it confirms Fi to me.
Fe Personalities can drive me insane if I am around a person for too long. Luckily, this does not happen with my husband. It does with everyone else. The opposite of Fe. Having to constantly see different moods and an abundance of people trying to affect her mood is going to be frustrating for an Fi dom
Te--- I hate deadlines. This is the final nail for my INFP verdict. This reflects inferior Te. INFJs might not enjoy deadlines, but they can usually find them necessary. INFPs, however, don't like it when expectations affect their mood. They perform their best when they are happy, and deadlines frustrate them.
Hopefully that was some of the criticism that you were looking for. I can appreciate your style of drawing out the functions, but I think you came to the wrong conclusions. I've studied functions for years and I'm far from perfect. The main thing I've learned, is never try to force out a function. Sometimes, people just make generic statements that many different types can identify with. Rather, I look for a vibe. When I get the perceptive, intuitive vibe, in this case, I look for reasons to prove it wrong and find ways to support it. The four letters INFP were clear, but I'll admit, they were tough fully picking apart. Of course, this is the reason PerC has a more specific questionaire rather than people making their own statements.

Anyway, @shadowofeve thanks for letting us dissect you.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
So, I would like to know more about that statement and how does it make you a feeler or a thinker if you agree or disagree. I mean. Especially if you take it as a general thing and do not see its specifications
When presented with a decision; Thinkers generally make the best decision possible based on logical facts, and objective information. "What is the correct course of action?" Thinkers may agree more often with concepts such as utilitarianism.

Feelers generally consider people and other implications when making a decision. "Is this the appropriate decision done in the appropriate tact?". Feelers may be more indirect, and more compassionate than a thinker, when it comes to a decision.

Here's an article: http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/mbti-basics/thinking-or-feeling.htm

Here's how INFPs voted: http://personalitycafe.com/infp-forum-idealists/541410-do-ends-justify-means.html

And here's an ENTJ thread for the same poll: [ENTJ] Do the ends justify the means? - View Poll Results

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I plan. The plan happens. If something interferes with said plan, I usually have a Plan B.

My answer would be that it depends. There isn't enough information. In some ways, the ends could justify the means. In other ways, it could not.

I also did Holly's tip for finding out my type and my result was ESFP.
Why do I always test as an INTJ?
Extravert(78%) Sensing(88%) Feeling(12%) Perceiving(22%)

Of course, both my F vs T and P vs J results are inconclusive.

Thanks for the responses, everyone!

·
Registered
159 Posts
@shadowofeve here are some questions for you. Please elaborate in your answers.

I value knowledge immensely and enjoy learning.
Tell us about the kind of things you enjoy learning about, and also why you enjoy them.

My profession is a social worker and I have a drive to help.
What is your goal behind the desire to help?

I am drained around other people, but I feel ...empty when I am not working with others.
Tell us more about the need to be working with others.

I tend to just know how people are feeling at times, such as knowing when my husband is mad/sad/frustrated.
Do you find yourself observing people in order to understand how they feel, and what motivates them?

Reading is a task I enjoy.
What kind of books do you like reading?

Distraction is a high possibility due to getting lost in my thinking and analysis of the world or people in the world.
Tell us more about your analysis of the world and the people in it.

I have a wide range of acquaintances, but only 1-2 close friends.
At what point would you consider someone trustworthy enough to be a friend?

Anxiety is an issue for me.
Please elaborate on the issue of anxiety.

Personalities can drive me insane if I am around a person for too long. Luckily, this does not happen with my husband. It does with everyone else.
Tell us more about how it is stressful to be around one person.

1. Click on this link: Flicker: Explore Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.

A storm is coming. Beautiful, yet possibly disastrous and the potential of disaster makes the scene all the more beautiful. A realization that a part of life may be dark, uninviting, and harsh. I love the combination of the tranquil greens and chaotic sky. An owl is hiding in the clouds.
Are you drawn to the contrast? Please tell us more.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

Be disappointed and figure out how to find a solution. I would not fix the car (as I would not know how), but I would try to figure out how to get to the concert. Is there a way we can get to the nearest town and rent a car? Does anyone have relatives near? Friends? My outward reaction would depend on how other people in the car were acting. I may try to calm others down or work with them to find a solution. I may act like it is the end of the world if the concert is utterly important to me.
Why would your reaction have to depend on how the other people are reacting?

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?

I would discuss the claim and try to figure out why my friend thinks that way. If I thought it was prejudice or discriminatory, I would correct them right away. If it was simply a different belief or thought, I would probably ask questions to figure out the reasoning behind that belief.
Tell us more about your reaction to prejudice and discrimination.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

I am very loyal and keep secrets easily. I am there for people and strive to be helpful. Treating everyone kind is important to me. These values seemed to have just existed within me. I am not sure they necessarily change, but they can be very flexible depending on the circumstances.
Tell us more about how your values can be flexible.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered

I work with them in my current environment. I experience hunches or gut feelings quite often. I usually think about them and analyze them within their specific context. If I have a hunch or a gut feeling about another person, I will ask them about it, depending on how close we are.
What is it like to analyze and learn something new about a person?

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

I am energized by reading, playing video games, learning, and spending time just resting. I also enjoy yoga and really want to start a meditation practice. Whenever I go to music concerts, I become energized by the music in the air and the people all around me. It is very strange because I hate large crowds of people.

Activities that drain me include large crowds, cardio exercise, small talk, and crappy conversation (gossip). I hate going to get my haircut because I know the stylist will ask me all kinds of redundant questions.
Is it energizing to try and figure out and understand people? How does it compare to your other energizing activities?

Is it important to have things decided or would it be preferable to put off making decisions as long as possible?

You have been given the "Most important person on earth" award, what did you do to deserve the honour?

Is it important to stay true to your beliefs and values in social situations?

You are at a social gathering where you notice that one of the people is acting out. What is your impression of the situation? Do you feel the need to do anything? Why or why not?

·
Registered
IEE
6,559 Posts
*cough* Nobody else thought SFJ? Honestly OP seems more of an ethical person than any TP.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Tell us about the kind of things you enjoy learning about, and also why you enjoy them.
I enjoy learning about psychology, literature, philosophy, and art. For some reason, I am very interested in finding out meanings behind ideas, works of art, poetry, religions, etc.

This is a difficult question. I think my desire is just to help people. My first ever job was working retail and I struggled with it. One day before work my mom asked why I did not want to go. I said that my job was meaningless because stocking shelves was not helping the world.

I am a loner mostly. I have a few friends but the only consistent relationship I have had in my life is my romantic relationship and my family. When I was in college, I decided the best job for me would be one where I did not have to interact with people. My federal work study job was being a custodian. I hated this job more than my retail job. It was very boring, repetitive, and not engaging or challenging. I decided to switch jobs to a tutor for high school students and become a campus mail carrier. I loved both of these positions and I felt like I was doing something important for the world. I was helping students learn and I recognized the importance of mail (it sounds silly now, but the mail can be or at least, seem important!).

Do you find yourself observing people in order to understand how they feel, and what motivates them?
I think I observe other people a lot. I really like understanding others and I think this helps me to do it. BUT I also think I get lost in my own head when I try to observe others and then I forget what I am suppose to be doing.

I enjoy reading fiction: action, adventure, fantasy, thriller, horror, suspense. I also enjoy reading nonfiction books about life philosophies, yoga, and different spiritual paths. For fun, I will also read textbook like materials on psychology.

Tell us more about your analysis of the world and the people in it.
I have no idea what to say...How do I answer this question?

I would have to get to know them for a while and spend time with them. I have trouble with this because I would call a person a friend before I would completely trust them. It is very difficult for me to trust people and I think I would need evidence that a person would be trustworthy. Even so, I tend to be more devoted to people than people are to me.

Please elaborate on the issue of anxiety.
I worry a lot about things going wrong. I can be quite a pessimist. I also have trouble with self confidence. I am a bit sensitive and if someone makes a rude comment to me, I will become even more timid.

It just seems like if I am around one person for too long, I become really annoyed with all their annoying traits. I become really judgemental of something simple like an annoying laugh. This makes me long for solitude and to just be by myself for awhile. I feel like a mean person when this happens.

Are you drawn to the contrast? Please tell us more.
I am very much drawn to the contrast. I love the darkness and the potential beauty of a thunderstorm. With the lightning, thunder, and rain. I also love the tranquility of the plants and how this whole moment appears to be just moments before potential chaos.

My reaction would depend on how the other people are reacting because if someone else was feeling bad about it, I would probably be the one to try to help them feel better (even if I was feeling upset about it too).

I really do not tolerate any form of prejudice or discrimination. I think the world is hard enough for some people as it is and to exhibit this kind of behavior is completely petty and disgraceful. Very unethical and wrong. I am not sure if this is because of who I am or because of the information I have learned while becoming a social worker.

For example, I think lying is very wrong. BUT I will do it if I the situation calls for it (to get out of trouble, not make anyone feel bad about something). I also believe that rules are essential and important to an organization or society, but I will break them if I think they are not important. Of course, all of this is done in secret and if I am ever caught, I always have a very detailed reason on why.

What is it like to analyze and learn something new about a person? Is it energizing to try and figure out and understand people? How does it compare to your other energizing activities?
I think it is interesting to analyze and learn something new about a person. I want to know about what makes people who they are and this makes me excited. It is a bit different from my other energizing activities because those are done when I am usually alone.

Is it important to have things decided or would it be preferable to put off making decisions as long as possible?
I think it is very important to have things decided. My husband wanted to go to a music festival that I did not want to go to this weekend. I told him I would go with him, but he had to make the "plans." He does NOT make plans and likes to fly by the seat of his pants, so I figured we would not be going.

He told me he purchased the tickets. The day before the concert, I find out he rented a hotel room for that night. I was very annoyed that he did not tell me this and that I did not know the plan. The day of the concert, he is watching television as I am getting ready. We get in the car and he asks me how to get there. Oh my. I was very upset that he had not yet planned our route.

You have been given the "Most important person on earth" award, what did you do to deserve the honour?
I taught humanity how to reach enlightenment/truth.

Is it important to stay true to your beliefs and values in social situations?
I think it is, but if I was in a group of conservatives discussing politics, I would rather take my leave then start an argument due to my liberal values and beliefs. However, if those friends were blatantly discriminating against a group of people, I believe that is intolerable and would correct them. If everyone did this, the world would be a much better place to live in.

You are at a social gathering where you notice that one of the people is acting out. What is your impression of the situation? Do you feel the need to do anything? Why or why not?
Do I know the person? If it was someone I am close to, I would feel obligated to help them. I would not assist them if I did not know them because I would not want them to feel like I am intruding into the situation.

***Filling these out is hard, because I always go back and correct myself, but my answers still never sound the way I want them to. :(

***Also, I know the stereotype is that N's think about things while S's do things. This is why I assumed I was an N.

·
Registered
159 Posts
@shadowofeve here is my assessment of your type.

My profession is a social worker and I have a drive to help.
Seems F.

I am drained around other people, but I feel ...empty when I am not working with others.
Seems I and seems F.

Distraction is a high possibility due to getting lost in my thinking and analysis of the world or people in the world.
Seems N.

Very philosophical and love theories.
Seems N.

Seems N.

Seems I.

I enjoy learning about psychology, literature, philosophy, and art. For some reason, I am very interested in finding out meanings behind ideas, works of art, poetry, religions, etc.
Seems N.

This is a difficult question. I think my desire is just to help people. My first ever job was working retail and I struggled with it. One day before work my mom asked why I did not want to go. I said that my job was meaningless because stocking shelves was not helping the world.
Seems FJ.

I am a loner mostly. I have a few friends but the only consistent relationship I have had in my life is my romantic relationship and my family. When I was in college, I decided the best job for me would be one where I did not have to interact with people. My federal work study job was being a custodian. I hated this job more than my retail job. It was very boring, repetitive, and not engaging or challenging. I decided to switch jobs to a tutor for high school students and become a campus mail carrier. I loved both of these positions and I felt like I was doing something important for the world. I was helping students learn and I recognized the importance of mail (it sounds silly now, but the mail can be or at least, seem important!).
Seems FJ.

I think I observe other people a lot. I really like understanding others and I think this helps me to do it. BUT I also think I get lost in my own head when I try to observe others and then I forget what I am suppose to be doing.
Seems N and seems F.

I enjoy reading fiction: action, adventure, fantasy, thriller, horror, suspense. I also enjoy reading nonfiction books about life philosophies, yoga, and different spiritual paths. For fun, I will also read textbook like materials on psychology.
Seems more N than S.

I would have to get to know them for a while and spend time with them. I have trouble with this because I would call a person a friend before I would completely trust them. It is very difficult for me to trust people and I think I would need evidence that a person would be trustworthy. Even so, I tend to be more devoted to people than people are to me.
Seems FJ.

It just seems like if I am around one person for too long, I become really annoyed with all their annoying traits. I become really judgemental of something simple like an annoying laugh. This makes me long for solitude and to just be by myself for awhile. I feel like a mean person when this happens.
Seems I.

My reaction would depend on how the other people are reacting because if someone else was feeling bad about it, I would probably be the one to try to help them feel better (even if I was feeling upset about it too).
Seems FJ.

I really do not tolerate any form of prejudice or discrimination. I think the world is hard enough for some people as it is and to exhibit this kind of behavior is completely petty and disgraceful. Very unethical and wrong. I am not sure if this is because of who I am or because of the information I have learned while becoming a social worker.
Seems Fi.

For example, I think lying is very wrong. BUT I will do it if I the situation calls for it (to get out of trouble, not make anyone feel bad about something). I also believe that rules are essential and important to an organization or society, but I will break them if I think they are not important. Of course, all of this is done in secret and if I am ever caught, I always have a very detailed reason on why.
Seems a bit un-Fi.

What is it like to analyze and learn something new about a person? Is it energizing to try and figure out and understand people? How does it compare to your other energizing activities?
I think it is interesting to analyze and learn something new about a person. I want to know about what makes people who they are and this makes me excited. It is a bit different from my other energizing activities because those are done when I am usually alone.
Seems NF.

I think it is very important to have things decided. My husband wanted to go to a music festival that I did not want to go to this weekend. I told him I would go with him, but he had to make the "plans." He does NOT make plans and likes to fly by the seat of his pants, so I figured we would not be going.

He told me he purchased the tickets. The day before the concert, I find out he rented a hotel room for that night. I was very annoyed that he did not tell me this and that I did not know the plan. The day of the concert, he is watching television as I am getting ready. We get in the car and he asks me how to get there. Oh my. I was very upset that he had not yet planned our route.
Very J.

I taught humanity how to reach enlightenment/truth.
Seems NFJ.

I am very confident that your type is INFJ.

You are energized by understanding people and then helping them become an improved version of themselves.

The Fe is very evident in your responses where you are looking out for the interests of the group. You do have firm values when it comes to prejudice or discrimination, and this could make you look like an Fi type, but there is no other indication of Fi in terms of values. Also your values can be more flexible, depending on the situation.

Your preference for intuition over sensing shows itself in your interest in the meaning behind things, and you use it all the time when trying to understand people, this is one of the things excites you.

Good luck in deciding your career path. I think you already know what it is that motivates you.

·
Registered
IEE
6,559 Posts
^Well, I was close enough. I agree on FJ strongly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts