Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So I usually test INXX, that is 9 out of 10 times I`ve done the test. Only once I tested IS and that`s when I was thinking to myself that my surrounding do matter to me and that I am a sensual guy because I do love to taste delicious foods and love the feel of soft cool pillow against my face and stuff like that. I love to smell flowers and do enjoy photography as a hobby (though it`s one of those hobbies that I never do). Even in photography, what I do enjoy is taking pictures that convey a message, ones that are very carefully designed. It`s not all about superficial beauty. But my desk is often cluttered and I often see facts as indicating principles not as something final so I think IN is accurate.

Anyhow, for when it comes to FP, things get more complex. I am a college educated person (studied psych) so I hate it when I have to answer questions asking me if I rely on thinking or feeling more in making decision. I have learned the value of objective thinking. How can I ignore it?

I have embraced humanistic psychology and I have a spiritual side to me so for me people are individuals not parts of a machinery. That`s why I do respect powerful theories like that of evolution because of strength of evidence that supports it, but also feel that it`s too mechanical and impersonal, and that there must be more to life. I start questioning it because I know it`s based on a materialistic philosophy--as is most of science--and that we have preconceived ideas of what is deemed evidence or acceptable evidence or scientific theory. I don`t know if that`s my feelings or intuitive views that seem to supersede my reliance on factual info but whatever it is, facts are not the ultimate authority in my view.

Anyhow, P vs J is also causing me trouble. Of course it may have to do with how I was raised. I have narcissistic parents so they were always judging me and I find myself acting judgementally all the time now. Uncertainty and keeping my options open therefore makes me fearful of being judged. Like I tell my mom how to talk to my younger brother but that`s mostly because I felt so criticized and hurt as a child, this is my attempt to protect him. When it comes to people in the outside world I usually don`t have a particular view of how things should be. I`m open minded like that but when it comes to certain things I get quite emotional. Because of my shyness I won`t approach an angry person screaming at her or his child but in my view that`s definitely wrong.

anyhow, any suggestions guys?

Reactions: Grey

·
MOTM Nov 2009
4,132 Posts
Education nor environmental causes have any major effect on the personality and personality type - at best, these may sway a person's actions and cover up their true personality, but overall, they do not 'change' an FP to a TJ. Firstly, I recommend refining your approach to your type: it seems you have a very literal way of taking J and F (feeling and being judgmental, basically), although I may be incorrect. At the same time, I would honestly encourage you to work beyond what has changed you over the years to get to the natural you that's inside of yourself; this is the best indicator, in my opinion, of your type.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I am using literal understanding I suppose mostly. But I think "feeling" has to do with making value judgements as opposed to critical judgements. I am still unclear because that is also confusing. If I'm dealing with the dead world, then I rely on my reasoning ability mostly. But when I'm dealing with the living world, with people, I am not as objective. I don't want to hurt people. I want to be accepted and I'm a people pleaser. So if some "objective" measure treats people like data, like machines that need to be manipulated in one way or another, then I fight against it.

Reactions: Grey

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
ENTP humor alert!

To be more TJ you need to find a stick and.........sorry couldn’t help it :)

·
Registered
Mafia playing cat
1,125 Posts
Yes I am using literal understanding I suppose mostly. But I think "feeling" has to do with making value judgements as opposed to critical judgements. I am still unclear because that is also confusing. If I'm dealing with the dead world, then I rely on my reasoning ability mostly. But when I'm dealing with the living world, with people, I am not as objective. I don't want to hurt people. I want to be accepted and I'm a people pleaser. So if some "objective" measure treats people like data, like machines that need to be manipulated in one way or another, then I fight against it.
What do you mean by the "dead world?"

·
Registered
601 Posts
People have preferences, and they have skills. Whatever your personality type, you can be very competent (or incompetent) in all sorts of things. Education isn't likely to change your personality but very likely to change your competence level and your range of skills.

This is the problem with the employers who test prospective employees but aren't really able to distinguish between preferences and skills. Somebody's personality type is totally irrelevant to their ability to do a job, if they are willing (and have the mental and/or intellectual capacity) to develop their competencies in different functions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts