Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am undecided on my Type. I have taken the test and gotten INFJ plenty of times. The more I learn about INFP, the more it seems like me... yet INFJ is incredibly accurate too. I am questioning about INFJ because I'm not the best at comforting. In relationships and friendships, I can understand people and get their feelings (I gather "room temperature" well), but the consoling aspect is basically nonexistent.

1. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

Not really.

2. Study these two images here and here. Which one do you prefer and why? How would you describe it?

I prefer the first one (beach). It gives a sense of bigger picture and opportunities. I feel like anything is possible. It's very peaceful.

3. Please describe yourself as a person if you were to introduce yourself to someone else like in a cover letter. What kind of person are you and why?

I am a person that enjoys getting into the details of things, but my focus is on the bigger picture. I have high goals for myself, and am constantly questioning which path to take. I have changed my major in college multiple times not because of difficulty but because I feel the opportunity in the next major is even better! I think about how things could unfold very quickly - I can meet a new girl and just imagine a relationship (in a non-creepy way... yet that sounds really creepy).

4. What kind of person would you LIKE to be? Why? What kind of person would you NOT want to be? Why?

I would like to be extroverted. I'd love to be able to talk to people without needing space. I wish I wouldn't take things so seriously, and I wish I was better at controlling my reaction to criticism. I wish I could communicate with people better - drawing back to the consoling part, it feels like I just can't help. I know exactly how they feel and really want to help, but my words never work.

I don't want to be judgemental. I pride myself on being very tolerant. I don't want to be narrow focused. I don't want to be a failure. I don't want to be that type of thing because it's not how I value success.

5. Do you think there are any differences to how you described yourself and how people actually perceive you? How do you think others would describe you? If there are any discrepancies between these two that are you are aware of; do you know why exactly that is?

Yes. While I feel extroverted at times, I feel like people perceive me as awkward and unsocial. I feel like I can communicate well with others, yet I wonder often if I'm just being weird. I don't know why that is. I've been told that I'm too passive (by an extrovert..), and I just thought she was too aggressive.

6. What in life do you find to be of importance? Why? If you are unsure you can always take the Value Test and post the results here. Do note that it helps if you narrow it down to 20 or ideally 10 values as suggested at stage 2.

Religion, Success, Open-mindedness, Knowledge, Sincerity, Kindness, Philanthropy, Thoroughness, Conviction, Joy

7. How do you react to new situations in your life? Can you describe an event in your life where you were in an unknown situation? How did you deal with it?

I don't mind new situations. An unknown situation is when I was moving from the dorms to off-campus living. I didn't know specifics until a week before the move in date. I figured there was no use in worrying about things you have no control over. The only thing you can control is your reaction to circumstances.

8. Please describe yourself when you are in a stressful situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.

I used to think I was good in stressful situations. I have learned that I normally just prevent/avoid them. A very recent real life experience was a conversation with a friend a couple days ago. I mentioned a mutual friend, and she started complaining about the friend. I don't like to talk ill of others, so I said that I didn't want to. She started complaining and told me to not be "such a douche". I then said good bye and left. I avoid conflict by removing myself from the situation.

9. Please describe yourself when you are in an enjoyable situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.

I love these situations. While I'm not super over the top, I am loose and "free". I don't enjoy partying or anything over the top. A good evening with a close knit group of friends is great. Anything over 5 and it gets a little chaotic and I tend to be less talkative.

10. Describe your relationship to socialization. How do you perceive one-on-one interaction? How do you perceive group interaction?

One-on-one interaction is the best. There are no social pressures to act differently than you would with that one person (for myself as well as the other person). I find my least superficial conversations have been one-on-one. Group interaction is usually vastly differently. I know from experience that most of my group of friends act completely different one-on-one, but we all behave one way when in a group.

11. Describe your relationship to society. What are the elements of it you hold important or unimportant (e.g. social norms, values, customs, traditions)? How do you see people as a whole?

I don't like to rock the boat. I don't hate corporations or think politicians are all bad (and even ones I disagree with, I understand that their end-goal is usually in line with the public's well-being). I don't hold traditions as important, but I know enough to do them anyway. Society as a whole is largely good, with small groups of ill-guided people making us look bad.

12. Describe your relationship to authority. How do you perceive authority? What does it mean to you, and how do you deal with it?

I don't mind authority at all. I enjoy working for people that understand and communicate the end goal / bigger picture. Mundane tasks are incredibly boring without a reason behind them (and even then...). Authority is merely a organization of "power", and should be viewed more as a relationship as peers rather than boss vs. subordinate.

13. Describe your relationship to order and chaos. What do order and chaos mean to you? How do they manifest in your daily life?

Order and chaos are natural in the world. I don't freak out when bad things happen because bad things will always happen. I would prefer everything happen the way it should, but I understand that it never is that simple. As things arise, I deal with them in my daily life.

14. What is it that you fear in life? Why? How does this fear manifest to you both in how you think and how you act?

My biggest fear in life is that I'm not doing as much as I could be. My biggest fear is that I'm underperforming, or that another decision would be better. This manifests in a constant doubt that my current path is sub-optimal. It creates anxiety about college and my career.

15. What is it that you desire in life? What do you strive to achieve? Why? Where do you think these drives and desires stem from or are inspired by?

My desire in life is to have a comfortable, simple life with close friends. I want to get married. I strive to achieve happiness and peace while at the same time being challenged. I feel like anything else isn't all that we're designed to be. These drives stem from high expectations from my parents as well as high standards for myself.

16. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

I get energized by anything that interests me. I have spent the past four hours researching Types because they are interesting. I have spent countless hours researching health and fitness information. Anything that interests me on any day will give me energy to dive head first.

I get drained by mundane tasks or tasks that I don't agree with. Work that I consider repetitive drains me. I can research for hours about anything without realizing I haven't ate all day (like right now...) while I get bored after fifteen minutes of work that resembles data entry.

17. Why do you want to know your type? What type do you think you are? Why this/these type(s)? Is there a type that appeals to you, to your self-perception, that you would like to be? Why? If you know your enneagram, please post this here. If you have done any online function tests such as the Keys2Cognition, it helps if you post these results here as well.

I want to know my type so I can begin to understand myself. As I have gotten older, I've realized I know less and less about myself. I can understand other people relatively well, while I don't know what makes me click. I believe I am INFJ or INFP. I am introverted and believe in feelings being an important part of any decision. I care deeply about other people. My motto for my career is "to help others succeed".

I thought that INFJ appeals to me since everything I read just spoke to me (I finally felt understood), but some levels of the human communication aspect are severely lacking. My enneagram result is a 5 with a balanced wing. I remember taking it a couple months ago and receiving a 3 with a 2 wing.

18. Finally, is there something else you find to be of importance you want to add about yourself you think might be of relevance when helping to type you?

I don't really have any deep friends. I used to have one with my roommate, but he moved out (still really close) and we just don't hang out anymore. I'm not saying this to complain or seek affirmation, but merely because it might be useful.

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
you sound INFP to me. Ne with chaos.

infj's are really all about relationships with others, and you have none. consoling: none.

Reactions: koerhijo

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am undecided on my Type. I have taken the test and gotten INFJ plenty of times. The more I learn about INFP, the more it seems like me... yet INFJ is incredibly accurate too. I am questioning about INFJ because I'm not the best at comforting. In relationships and friendships, I can understand people and get their feelings (I gather "room temperature" well), but the consoling aspect is basically nonexistent.

1. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

Not really.

2. Study these two images here and here. Which one do you prefer and why? How would you describe it?

I prefer the first one (beach). It gives a sense of bigger picture and opportunities. I feel like anything is possible. It's very peaceful.

3. Please describe yourself as a person if you were to introduce yourself to someone else like in a cover letter. What kind of person are you and why?

I am a person that enjoys getting into the details of things, but my focus is on the bigger picture. I have high goals for myself, and am constantly questioning which path to take. I have changed my major in college multiple times not because of difficulty but because I feel the opportunity in the next major is even better! I think about how things could unfold very quickly - I can meet a new girl and just imagine a relationship (in a non-creepy way... yet that sounds really creepy).

4. What kind of person would you LIKE to be? Why? What kind of person would you NOT want to be? Why?

I would like to be extroverted. I'd love to be able to talk to people without needing space. I wish I wouldn't take things so seriously, and I wish I was better at controlling my reaction to criticism. I wish I could communicate with people better - drawing back to the consoling part, it feels like I just can't help. I know exactly how they feel and really want to help, but my words never work.

I don't want to be judgemental. I pride myself on being very tolerant. I don't want to be narrow focused. I don't want to be a failure. I don't want to be that type of thing because it's not how I value success.

5. Do you think there are any differences to how you described yourself and how people actually perceive you? How do you think others would describe you? If there are any discrepancies between these two that are you are aware of; do you know why exactly that is?

Yes. While I feel extroverted at times, I feel like people perceive me as awkward and unsocial. I feel like I can communicate well with others, yet I wonder often if I'm just being weird. I don't know why that is. I've been told that I'm too passive (by an extrovert..), and I just thought she was too aggressive.

6. What in life do you find to be of importance? Why? If you are unsure you can always take the Value Test and post the results here. Do note that it helps if you narrow it down to 20 or ideally 10 values as suggested at stage 2.

Religion, Success, Open-mindedness, Knowledge, Sincerity, Kindness, Philanthropy, Thoroughness, Conviction, Joy

7. How do you react to new situations in your life? Can you describe an event in your life where you were in an unknown situation? How did you deal with it?

I don't mind new situations. An unknown situation is when I was moving from the dorms to off-campus living. I didn't know specifics until a week before the move in date. I figured there was no use in worrying about things you have no control over. The only thing you can control is your reaction to circumstances.

8. Please describe yourself when you are in a stressful situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.

I used to think I was good in stressful situations. I have learned that I normally just prevent/avoid them. A very recent real life experience was a conversation with a friend a couple days ago. I mentioned a mutual friend, and she started complaining about the friend. I don't like to talk ill of others, so I said that I didn't want to. She started complaining and told me to not be "such a douche". I then said good bye and left. I avoid conflict by removing myself from the situation.

9. Please describe yourself when you are in an enjoyable situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.

I love these situations. While I'm not super over the top, I am loose and "free". I don't enjoy partying or anything over the top. A good evening with a close knit group of friends is great. Anything over 5 and it gets a little chaotic and I tend to be less talkative.

10. Describe your relationship to socialization. How do you perceive one-on-one interaction? How do you perceive group interaction?

One-on-one interaction is the best. There are no social pressures to act differently than you would with that one person (for myself as well as the other person). I find my least superficial conversations have been one-on-one. Group interaction is usually vastly differently. I know from experience that most of my group of friends act completely different one-on-one, but we all behave one way when in a group.

11. Describe your relationship to society. What are the elements of it you hold important or unimportant (e.g. social norms, values, customs, traditions)? How do you see people as a whole?

I don't like to rock the boat. I don't hate corporations or think politicians are all bad (and even ones I disagree with, I understand that their end-goal is usually in line with the public's well-being). I don't hold traditions as important, but I know enough to do them anyway. Society as a whole is largely good, with small groups of ill-guided people making us look bad.

12. Describe your relationship to authority. How do you perceive authority? What does it mean to you, and how do you deal with it?

I don't mind authority at all. I enjoy working for people that understand and communicate the end goal / bigger picture. Mundane tasks are incredibly boring without a reason behind them (and even then...). Authority is merely a organization of "power", and should be viewed more as a relationship as peers rather than boss vs. subordinate.

13. Describe your relationship to order and chaos. What do order and chaos mean to you? How do they manifest in your daily life?

Order and chaos are natural in the world. I don't freak out when bad things happen because bad things will always happen. I would prefer everything happen the way it should, but I understand that it never is that simple. As things arise, I deal with them in my daily life.

14. What is it that you fear in life? Why? How does this fear manifest to you both in how you think and how you act?

My biggest fear in life is that I'm not doing as much as I could be. My biggest fear is that I'm underperforming, or that another decision would be better. This manifests in a constant doubt that my current path is sub-optimal. It creates anxiety about college and my career.

15. What is it that you desire in life? What do you strive to achieve? Why? Where do you think these drives and desires stem from or are inspired by?

My desire in life is to have a comfortable, simple life with close friends. I want to get married. I strive to achieve happiness and peace while at the same time being challenged. I feel like anything else isn't all that we're designed to be. These drives stem from high expectations from my parents as well as high standards for myself.

16. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

I get energized by anything that interests me. I have spent the past four hours researching Types because they are interesting. I have spent countless hours researching health and fitness information. Anything that interests me on any day will give me energy to dive head first.

I get drained by mundane tasks or tasks that I don't agree with. Work that I consider repetitive drains me. I can research for hours about anything without realizing I haven't ate all day (like right now...) while I get bored after fifteen minutes of work that resembles data entry.

17. Why do you want to know your type? What type do you think you are? Why this/these type(s)? Is there a type that appeals to you, to your self-perception, that you would like to be? Why? If you know your enneagram, please post this here. If you have done any online function tests such as the Keys2Cognition, it helps if you post these results here as well.

I want to know my type so I can begin to understand myself. As I have gotten older, I've realized I know less and less about myself. I can understand other people relatively well, while I don't know what makes me click. I believe I am INFJ or INFP. I am introverted and believe in feelings being an important part of any decision. I care deeply about other people. My motto for my career is "to help others succeed".

I thought that INFJ appeals to me since everything I read just spoke to me (I finally felt understood), but some levels of the human communication aspect are severely lacking. My enneagram result is a 5 with a balanced wing. I remember taking it a couple months ago and receiving a 3 with a 2 wing.

18. Finally, is there something else you find to be of importance you want to add about yourself you think might be of relevance when helping to type you?

I don't really have any deep friends. I used to have one with my roommate, but he moved out (still really close) and we just don't hang out anymore. I'm not saying this to complain or seek affirmation, but merely because it might be useful.
It's very common for INFPs to struggle on deciding what type they are from my experience :p. Especially between INFJ or INFP. The INFJ usually doesn't have trouble deciding while the INFP might ponder for a lifetime...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It seems INFP is the answer here. I feel I am more collected emotionally and meticulous than the stereotype "scatter-brained" INFP description. Am I putting too much value in these stereotypes? I've taken a functions test that ranked me as INFP, so there's that.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It seems INFP is the answer here. I feel I am more collected emotionally and meticulous than the stereotype "scatter-brained" INFP description. Am I putting too much value in these stereotypes? I've taken a functions test that ranked me as INFP, so there's that.
Okay though you really need to read this

Sage, INFP vs INFJ...the smack down, break down.

She uses functions!!!!!! and not P or J no ABCD! This is how you will determine whether you are INFP or INFJ. :)
Just in case you're still indecisive about if you're an INFP or INFJ..

·
Registered
22 Posts

Not really.

I have the same problem, I hope you find an answer you answer!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts