Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to PC. I decided to post here first because I don't know what to make of my personality. I've typed INFJ, INTP, INFP, and INTJ before. I've always held to be an INFJ because it seems to fit well, and that's been a common result, but I also just typed as INTP. I've tested using Human Metrics the most. The F/T and J/P are weak compared to I and N. So I'm considering the idea that I might be a true INxx. But what does that mean?

I would describe myself as both rational and idealistic. I value honesty/authenticity, freedom, empathy, and reason/logic. I won't go into too much detail, but my views resulting from these values often put me at odds with my environment. I feel very strongly about certain things and it can be difficult to function in the world because those things are not typically reflected or are rare, at least in my experience. I've been told elsewhere that I'm uncommon.

To make things more complex, I experience some social anxieties that are sometimes difficult to tease apart from introversion. I tend to be very good at expressing myself in writing but it can be challenging to verbalize my thoughts because I like to take my time for purposes of accuracy. Others have a hell of a time trying to read me and I often find myself attracting attention even if I'm not seeking it (or trying my best not to). I live inside my head and frequently contemplate human issues and systems. There is so much I'd like to see change in my culture that it's almost obsessive. I care a lot.

Anyways, thanks for reading. I just want to know what others make of this?

·
Registered
4w5
1,535 Posts
I, too, identify with INxx overall. Dividing the types by functions and trying to find out their core differences is essential. I still relate both to INFP and INTJ because of confusion between Ni Se and Ne Si. I think you should look into the functions and not focus as much on your test results. Test results can be quite inaccurate. I would say they are useless, unless you need a simple pinpointer. My first result was INTP, then, all of the INxx types. An example is how my ENFJ friend became an ISTJ in her test results. She, herself, know what she is and how different those two types are when it comes to functions and how they truly work.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Anyways, thanks for reading. I just want to know what others make of this?
The tests are badly designed. I know people who always score the same personality type, but later realize that it's not correct. Shy extroverts mistype as introverts, confident introverts mistype as extroverts, smart sensers mistype as intuitives, lazy Js mistype as Ps, disciplined Ps mistype as Js. Overall, the tests are extremely badly designed.

If you want to be typed, grab a questionnaire from the sticky topics and fill it out in as much detail as possible. I'd also add, don't rigidly stick to INxx.

That said, your focus on changing culture is an awfully Ni-Fe thing to do.

Reactions: EnigmaticMan

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Hi, have you taken a test for cognitive functions ? This can help you see if your strongest functions are indeed Fi, Ti, Fe, Te (like this one: Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes). But you seem more INXP to me.
According to that test, my dominant function is Ni and auxiliary is Fe. I most closely match responses typical for the INFJ. There were some questions I wasn't sure how to answer, exactly, or it could go either way depending on context.

extroverted Sensing (Se) ********************* (21.1)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ************************* (26)
average use
extroverted Intuiting (Ne) *********** (11.1)
unused
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ***************************************** (41.5)
excellent use
extroverted Thinking (Te) *************************** (28)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************** (26.9)
average use
extroverted Feeling (Fe) **************************************** (40.5)
excellent use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************************************* (45.3)
excellent use

I will complete one of the questionnaires soon.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Hi, have you taken a test for cognitive functions ? This can help you see if your strongest functions are indeed Fi, Ti, Fe, Te (like this one :Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes). But you seem more INXP to me.
Those tests don't work. It's kinda obvious when you consider that they never agree with the actual theory. I never understand why people blindly trust them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From the "What's My Type Questionnaire" by Spades in the stickied section.

0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

I'm not sure but it's a possibility. I do experience a good bit of stress/anxiety, internally. I'm 29, male, and right now I'm feeling fairly alert and contemplative.

1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.

(Not able to actually link anything yet)

flickr --> /photos/ --> marvinok/17198262931/in/explore-2015-04-19

When I clicked the link, there were several photos so I chose the one that drew me in. I always liked thunderstorms and when I was young I wanted to be a storm chaser. The photo of the thunderhead is beautiful really. I tend to miss storms like that because we don't get many of them where I'm currently living. It's usually just rain.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

This sucks. I would be disappointed, upset, worried, and sad. My first thoughts would be what to do from there. I don't know much about cars so if no one in my group knows what's wrong and is unable to fix it then I would call or recommend calling a tow truck.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?

Well, this is where the first question comes into play. I experience social anxiety so I would likely dread this party. Additionally, I'm an introvert and social environments tend to drain me. I don't like acting and parties tend to stay at surface level interaction. But if I was close to enough of the people in my group that I arrived at the concert with then I might be more willing. And a few drinks can help. I might be somewhat concerned about our driver so I would probably keep watch on him/her.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?

My inward reaction would probably be discomfort depending on how strongly I feel about the belief in question. If I actually find it offensive, I might speak up and challenge my friend, offering my own perspective and reasoning. But I tend to avoid conflict as much as possible, as it would compound my feelings of discomfort, so I would attempt to restrain myself from lashing out in the process. The only time I would ever lash out is if I felt someone was attempting to manipulate, take advantage of, or speak down to me.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?

Assuming what I see/experience is within reason, I would adjust accordingly. But not everything that I encounter that runs contrary to my beliefs, experiences, or habits is reasonable or acceptable. This is a tough question and one where I wish there was more context.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

I guess I will go into detail. I value honesty/authenticity, freedom, empathy, and reason/logic, as stated earlier in this post. Life is meaningful to me in the context that I am concerned with what is true and what permits us the most freedom possible as long as there is no intention to deliberately harm others. As a result, I'd like to see these things reflected in my culture: 1) No gender codification, 2) No religion or need for mysticism, 3) No ownership of people (responsibility to is not the same as ownership) and the acceptance of open or polyamorous relationships, as well as 4) The end of manipulative marketing practices/vanity. That would be a great start. How can they change? I'm not sure that these can. As there are few that would share these very specific views/values, I would have to be flexible I suppose, despite my strong feelings. That's a struggle for me.

7 a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?

I leave it up to others to decide what is distinguishing about my personality. All I know is that in my experience, I do stand out. If I could change one thing about me it wouldn't be my personality, necessarily. I would want to experience less anxiety in social situations so I feel more comfortable with meeting new people in my own time. I do meet new people all of the time at work and that is a challenge.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?

Social situations. I am hypervigilant and very self-conscious so I'm always scanning and trying to read people. Intellectually, I want to disregard my hunches/feelings in favor of further investigation. I wouldn't want to rush to judgment. But emotionally, I'm reacting, internally. In any case, I want to see through masks that people put on. If I perceive someone to be fake (beyond the daily surface level niceties/scripts that we all are guilty of), I will not trust them from then on.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

I recharge from social encounters/events so that's what drains me most. The exception to this is when I feel close enough to someone to interact on a deeper level. Real connection energizes me most because relationships are important to me (though I find myself very alone most of the time).

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?

I repress outward signs of emotional vulnerability. I might appear unphased, detached, or distant to others but I'm a pretty sensitive person. There's an interesting conflict here because I'm also very open and in fact need to be in order to do my job. I will experience intense feelings, internally, to the extent that it produces some health consequences. All of this I know has something to do with the fact that I'm male and it isn't seen as acceptable to display certain emotions (and I hate that). It also serves to potentially decrease the risk that others will try and take advantage of me somehow/exploit a perceived 'weakness'. But, again, I'm forthcoming as is evidenced by this post. So, in short, I want to trust others and build deep connections but I'm also cautious, so I may repress certain aspects of myself at times.

Thanks again for reading. I hope this helps type me.

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
INFP 9. is my opinion.

No Ti. Incredible introvert. Very much Fi, with no signs of Fe to speak of.

Ne is so intrinsic you can't see how much you bounce subjects.

INFP has an inner core granite moral compass which cannot be changed by anyone else, by which you judge the world.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
INFP 9. is my opinion.

No Ti. Incredible introvert. Very much Fi, with no signs of Fe to speak of.

Ne is so intrinsic you can't see how much you bounce subjects.

INFP has an inner core granite moral compass which cannot be changed by anyone else, by which you judge the world.
Thanks drmiller. That's interesting because the test I took earlier, though Fried Eggz seemed to discredit it, Ne was supposedly my least used function? The Fe/Fi thing is interesting too.

INFP. Any other opinions out there?

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
most important, go read about infp and see if it fits.
read about ESTP - they are the polar opposite of INFP.

INFJ, INTP, ISFP.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Social situations. I am hypervigilant and very self-conscious so I'm always scanning and trying to read people.
Can you clarify? How do you try to read people?

Are you reading between the lines of what they say? Observing their body language?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Those tests don't work. It's kinda obvious when you consider that they never agree with the actual theory. I never understand why people blindly trust them.
Yes we shouldn't blindly trust the test but this one is more subtle than the others I've taken and can give a starting point.

@EnigmaticMan: Having scored the highest on Fe, what do you think of this function ? You seem NF. Could be a XNFX.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you reading between the lines of what they say? Observing their body language?
Both.

@miranda1: I'm actually a bit confused. It looks as though I scored highest on Fi. And yes, I'm confident that I'm an NF. Somewhere between INFJ and INFP. Introversion is no question.

After having investigated this more, the best way I can think to tell the difference, at least for me, is what informs my values. Inner principles matter slightly more to me than external harmony, I think. Fe seems to be concerned with how one adapts to their environment for purposes of harmony (values are driven by the external world) rather than Fi where the emphasis is on remaining true to inner convictions even with the risk of disharmony. I really don't like conflict and look to avoid or diffuse it, if possible, but I'm willing to sacrifice harmony for what I find to be true and meaningful in the world. Where this gets tricky is that I don't think solely in terms of my values as they apply to myself. Instead, I tend to think globally.. as in I would want to shake things up and influence my environment to establish harmony with my values for the sake of everyone. While I know that I can't make anyone change, I would hope to be the change I want to see to where others take notice and make changes for themselves. So I suppose it takes some disharmony to create harmony on the level that I'm thinking.

I'm a bit of a newbie at the functions so if I'm mistaken please let me know. It's curious that I would score high on both Fe and Fi.

INFx is where I'm at. Perhaps only a slight nod to INFP then? What does everyone think?

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
INFP vs INFJ.

You are probably a good counselor, and a great listener to your friends.

Are you a better one on one counselor, or are you a better couples counselor?

INFJ's is better at RELATIONSHIPS between people. INFP often doesn't see the point of relationship counseling - meet with both people, and work on the individuals to make the relationship better.

Not that you can't do both, but which do you really prefer?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I work as a mentor for a nonprofit. Typically, I meet with my clients one on one but that's just how it turns out. There are times where family members are involved, though it's not planned. I've found that I'm good at helping others process and understand the dynamics around relationships. That probably doesn't help answer your question though, does it?

I don't think I have a preference for either individual or couples 'counseling' but relationships genuinely interest me. I haven't had the opportunity to do much couples counseling.

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
I work as a mentor for a nonprofit. Typically, I meet with my clients one on one but that's just how it turns out. There are times where family members are involved, though it's not planned. I've found that I'm good at helping others process and understand the dynamics around relationships. That probably doesn't help answer your question though, does it?

I don't think I have a preference for either individual or couples 'counseling' but relationships genuinely interest me. I haven't had the opportunity to do much couples counseling.

I would encourage you to go read INFJ, and go hang out with the INFJ peoples on this forum. The online reading for INFJ's is really bad I am told. There are VERY few INFJ men.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have since determined, based on several (Jung) tests, that I'm an INFP. Fi is dominant in all of them.

Order of functions: Fi-Fe-Ni-Si-Ti-Ne-Te-Se

Introverted Feeling (Fi) |||||||||||||||||||||| 10.17
Extroverted Feeling (Fe) |||||||||||||||||| 8.22
Introverted Intuition (Ni) ||||||||||||||||| 7.925
Introverted Sensation (Si) ||||||||||||||||| 7.77
Introverted Thinking (Ti) ||||||||||||||||| 7.76
Extroverted Intuition (Ne) ||||||||||||||||| 7.73
Extroverted Thinking (Te) ||||||||||| 4.78
Extroverted Sensation (Se) |||||||| 3.03

·
Registered
52 Posts
I’m very late but in case you had more hesitation, based on your results and your posts I’d say you’re a XNFX mixed type (like Julia Roberts and the youtuber Chris Thompson).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts