Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wink::wink::wink:

We all have them. I've been seeing a trend in the INFJ forum about the types of irrational fears we have.

But what about YOU guys? :tongue:

Some INTJs I've known IRL have really random irrational fears. One of my friends... i have the funniest memory of her from high school, the way she reacted to a hamster pet another friend had in her house (she let it out so it started 'exploring" lets just say). She visibly freaked out and i was so surprised how she was lol

And after that had passed, she explained "it's my irrational fear."

1) What are your irrational fears?
2) If someone saw you react really unexpectedly to it (like even shout or visibly get freaked out), would you actually explain it to them that you have this irrational fear?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I can't be in a dark room by myself, I sleep with a lamp on. I also do not like being on large bridges, being in a car while on a bridge is even worse. I'm not ashamed of it though I would only explain if asked.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Rubber bands being stretched

Despite the fact that I know it won't really hurt, the tension is almost palpable to me and I have flipped out at times when friends were pointing one at me

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
1) What are your irrational fears?

- Loud sudden noises
- Females (I am getting over that)
- Getting a disease from eating meat
- Public transportation
- Disruption in routine
- Homelessness
- Being touched without warning

2) If someone saw you react really unexpectedly to it (like even shout or visibly get freaked out), would you actually explain it to them that you have this irrational fear?

I used to try, but people just assume I am a bit of an irritable spazz these days so I don't bother and nobody asks.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thinking that the ambulance that I hear/see in my neighborhood as I walk home from the train station is for one of my children.

Loud and/or unexpected noises.

That nearly every phone call or e-mail that I get from a family member or close friend will be about how I suck or they hate me.

2) Try to explain?

No. Doesn't seem possible or worth the effort.

Reactions: Hemoglobin

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Deep water. Although this isn't really irrational since it is grounded in several near drowning incidences during childhood.

Yes, I have explained this fear to several people. Most are sympathetic.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I used to be afraid of nearly everything, including crowds, telephones, asymmetric things, etc. I decided that I could either conquer fear, or have fear conquer me. I won. Of course, I'm not afraid of anything nowadays, not emotionally, that is. Yes, I am going to get things killed.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I am afraid of Professors, and of authorities in general. Which is weird, as I don't really respect authority just for itself. But my parents have those social anxieties, and they transferred them onto me and my sister. It's getting better nowadays, though.

I always imagine that I would explain it to someone who actually wants to know, but so far that hasn't happened.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I got a doozy of an irrational fear. Every time I get up at work to use the can I feel like I want to bring my coffee with me, but I don't because that would be strange. I can just hear the rumors, "That guy likes to piss in his own coffee, lol!" However, my reason for wanting to bring my coffee into the bathroom with me is even more irrational, for I fear that someone is going to slip some acid into my coffee while I'm away. I know it's completely irrational and I don't ever let it influence my behavior. My desk isn't covered in half drank cups of coffee; however, every time I get back from the can I think about it, and one of these times I swear to God after taking a piss I'm gonna take a swig of my coffee and the effing walls are gonna start to melt and I'm gonna jump off the roof of the building and it'll be the end of me, hopefully.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
I meticulously pluck/shape my eyebrows every few days... but I am afraid of waxing them. I just imagine that I will end up with none at all!

I am also afraid of getting my eyebrows lasered because of the potential risk of nerve damage. I keep thinking I will end up looking like a stroke victim..... >.>

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Wasps, spiders, flies, and bugs in general.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My most irrational fear is plants, it is most associated with flowers or vines.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Wasps. Bees to a lesser extent.

It's hard for me to go outside when it's warm. I'm instantly on edge. I spend all my time focusing on potential stinging threats, and once I see them, it takes a lot of self control not to go running inside. It's especially bad if I know I have to be outside and can't escape the situation.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Most of the fears I read here are rational fears. Come on, Spiders? Who the fuck does not find fear of something that could do that to you, rational?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Balloons. I really dislike loud noises, especially unexpected ones, so I avoid any contact with balloons for fear they will pop.

Being touched without knowing it is coming. Instant fight-or-flight reaction regardless of who is doing it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Being alone in the dark,insects in general,being in deep water freaks me out as well,crossing a bridge by car,being on an airplane.
I`ve explained some of these to people,but mostly i hide my fears through poker face,because i hate showing my fears to people.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts