Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wink::wink::wink::wink:

We all have them. I've been seeing a trend in the INFJ forum about the types of irrational fears we have.

But what about YOU guys?

Some IxTJs I've known IRL have really random irrational fears. One of my friends (ISTJ)... i have the funniest memory of her from high school, the way she reacted to a hamster pet another friend had in her house (she let it out so it started 'exploring" lets just say). She visibly freaked out and i was so surprised how she was lol

And after that had passed, she explained "it's my irrational fear."

1) What are your irrational fears?
2) If someone saw you react really unexpectedly to it (like even shout or visibly get freaked out), would you actually explain it to them that you have this irrational fear?

·
Registered
447 Posts
My male ISTJ friend is afraid of spiders to an extreme degree. I honestly do not know if it is irrational or not (I feel like it is- he is afraid of all spiders, bugs- basically any type of insect). I mean like... you feel horribly guilty after pulling a prank on him with spiders once you see how fearful he is. He screams and really freaks out. It upsets everyone near him because he just moves around a lot and tries to get away- and it disturbs everyone mentally because you see this normal, reserved, stoic guy... screaming (extremely high-pitched) when he sees a spider.
He did explain it to me once. But that was because I relentlessly asked about it- apparently his friends and brothers used to prank him a lot with spiders and such.
I cannot think of any irrational fears that I have- I am not afraid of any reptiles or larger animals. Hm. I will post later if I think of any.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My male ISTJ friend is afraid of spiders to an extreme degree. I honestly do not know if it is irrational or not (I feel like it is- he is afraid of all spiders, bugs- basically any type of insect). I mean like... you feel horribly guilty after pulling a prank on him with spiders once you see how fearful he is. He screams and really freaks out. It upsets everyone near him because he just moves around a lot and tries to get away- and it disturbs everyone mentally because you see this normal, reserved, stoic guy... screaming (extremely high-pitched) when he sees a spider.
He did explain it to me once. But that was because I relentlessly asked about it- apparently his friends and brothers used to prank him a lot with spiders and such.
I cannot think of any irrational fears that I have- I am not afraid of any reptiles or larger animals. Hm. I will post later if I think of any.
I'm the designated spider killer in my household. Are you sure your friend is an ISTJ ? :unsure:

I don't know of any irrational fears that I have. If I knew of one, I would try to overcome it.
Same here. I have fears like anyone else but I think they fall solidly into the rational category.

·
Banned
1,158 Posts
:wink::wink::wink::wink:

We all have them. I've been seeing a trend in the INFJ forum about the types of irrational fears we have.

But what about YOU guys?

Some IxTJs I've known IRL have really random irrational fears. One of my friends (ISTJ)... i have the funniest memory of her from high school, the way she reacted to a hamster pet another friend had in her house (she let it out so it started 'exploring" lets just say). She visibly freaked out and i was so surprised how she was lol

And after that had passed, she explained "it's my irrational fear."

1) What are your irrational fears?
2) If someone saw you react really unexpectedly to it (like even shout or visibly get freaked out), would you actually explain it to them that you have this irrational fear?
you think you free yourself frim fear by cowering in your physical body? your body is a boat to lay aside when you reach the far shore, or sell it, if you find a fool. its full of holes, its full of hoels.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'd like to say I have at least one, but I don't, at least not any I can think of. Sure I used to be afraid of several irrational things as a child, but not anymore.

Reactions: Sela, Rhee and niss

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm the designated spider killer in my household. Are you sure your friend is an ISTJ ? :unsure:
I am positively sure. He took the test multiple times, and has always tested as ISTJ. We are very much alike- the only difference is that he is a guy and I am a girl. We even got very close results as far as MBTI % goes.
His scores: 83% Introverted, 67% Sensing, 79% Thinking, 66% Judging.
My scores: 79% Introverted, 63% Sensing, 79% Thinking, 53% Judging.

EDIT: I have been thinking more about any of my irrational fears. I suppose one of them is being alone, or financially unstable or something along those lines. I often worry a lot about things like that, but I don't know if I would call it "fear".

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
That's me. I loathe anything that comes crawling on six or more legs.
I've pretty much agreed with my GF that when we settle down together I'll cook, clean and do the dishes if she'll catch any roaming bugs on sight. Personally, when I see her advancing on an insect with a wad of tissue paper and the deadly calm of a born hunter, I think she looks darned sexy.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Sure, I have irrational fears. I sometimes worry about coming off as an evil person to others because I am not necessarily doing or giving others what they want, but what I think is just and fair. Of course it would be irrational for them to think I was out to get them but it is still a fear of mine. So, essentially, the ultimate fear would be abandonment and isolation from the people I care about for only being my objective self.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I am afraid of train tracks. I always get nervous around them. Ever since i was a kid, I hated having to cross them on the way down to the river. I always accelerate quickly to get past them in a car.

I guess it stems from me being the kind of kid who watching the discovery channel late at night when they played all the disaster stuff back in the day. I remember watching about earthquakes, tornadoes, airplane crashes, train wrecks......and it probably didn't help that both my dads (Dad and Stepdad) thought it was funny to pull up REALLY REALLY close to the tracks when a train was passing by and watch me squirm and cry.

OWL

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Sure, I have irrational fears. I sometimes worry about coming off as an evil person to others because I am not necessarily doing or giving others what they want, but what I think is just and fair. Of course it would be irrational for them to think I was out to get them but it is still a fear of mine. So, essentially, the ultimate fear would be abandonment and isolation from the people I care about for only being my objective self.
^ This, to a certain degree. It seems like a lot of people think that being just and fair = being a robot, being arrogant, self-serving, etc. No, it just means that I'm not willing to let others drag me down to their standard ::cough:: the project group members ::cough::

People who actually KNOW me, know better, i.e., the people I truly care about know that I have a good heart; that I just show it differently.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have over come any of my irrational fears but i do remember some i really use to fear.

1. I use to think i was going to have an aneurysm in my brain.
2. when i was younger i thought at any time the sun would collapse and become a black hole which would destroy the world.(damm discovery channel)
3. When i lived in a rural part of pennslyvania (similar to where the movie the village was fillmed) i use to think a bear would drag me off into the woods while taking out the trash at night, ecpecally when the road was a half block away from the house and no street lights with gigantic trees all around.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have an irrational fear of falling when walking along a log with a ditch underneath (if there's a stream under it, it doesn't matter what height the log is above the ground I'll still be inwardly scared) or along a track where one side slopes down steeply or walking on a bridge where I can see the ground a long way off through the holes in the railings. It's irrational because I never fall as I have a pretty good sense of balance but it still frightens me. I think this may stem from a childhood experience where I did lose my balance, fell a distance and got hurt (I got a bump on my head that lasted at least a year).

Because of this 'fear' I try to avoid these situations but sometimes I force myself to do it even when I don't have to simply because it really is quite an irrational fear.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Mine? I dunno if these are all irrational

I fear that that I'll one day wake up and find...

1. That I'm all alone.

2. That I've accomplished nothing notable.

3. That I'm growing old and have not lived life.

If I can defeat all 3 fears, I'd be set for life.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am Terrified of snakes. I don't know why... i have never had a bad experience with them, but i just don't like them. Something about the slimy scales, and the sharp teeth, and just how sneaky and fast they are. *goosebumps*:confused:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts