Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not irritated really, it's more like a glitch in a CD or a scratch on a record for those who remember these things. You want to say something, but it would take too much time and work, since there are quite a few of them.

Here is an example from real life, I know someone who is clearly an INFP, but believes she is an INFJ because she took a test that said she was an INFJ and so she does not feel the need to look at any evidence beyond that. In fact, she won't even discuss the matter.

This is a person whose Fi pervades the very room in which she is usually to be found, playing a fantasy game on-line whilst listening to Cure songs, or any one of her collection of melancholy music. She does not care too much how she looks (that would be vain) and usually wears whatever is most comfortable and invariably black. She loves fantasy films, and romance novels. She prefers to live and let live, she would never be found telling someone what they ought to do. She cannot handle it when those she loves experience difficult emotions because she internalises them and they meld with her like the changelings on Deep Space Nine! I wish that she could see herself more clearly, because having faced some of her weaknesses, she could see best how to strengthen herself and maybe less depressed and more active (I really believe that she is going to die young if she does not get out of that chair and start being more active). She once said that she eats when she is feeling blue because it is like a hug on the inside.

Besides the altruistic sentiments above (wanting her to address her correct weaknesses) another reason I find it irritating is because I feel like the INFPs who label themselves as INFJs are contributing to a false impression to others of what INFJs are really like.

*CAVEAT: I wanted to add the obvious (to me) here: I am not saying that all INFPs are depressed, or over eaters, or anything else along those lines. It should be said that much of the advice given on the type profiles is similar, and is good advice for any type, so no matter what your type, there is some good advice for becoming healthier.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Fe vs. Fi is a huge difference between the types. Fi feels for yourself. Fe feels for others. (INFPs use Fi, INFJs use Fe) Fi pulls in. Fe reaches out. Also, a dead giveaway is how we approach telling others what to do. INFPs inform (ie, 'the table needs to be set') vs. INFJs direct ('come get food!')

I dunno, I know a few INFPs, and while we get along great - I think it's pretty easy to tell the difference between us.

Also not sure why anyone would want to be INFJ... Between intuition and Fe I feel like I have almost no personal gain in any situation. I mean, I feel most of the time like I have the wait of the world on my shoulders... not exactly a fun-lovin personality type :)

Why do you think INFPs would want to be INFJs?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I know that it is difficult to differentiate types because most share a trait or two, and some look very much alike indeed. Personally, I think that it is essential to understand the differences of the cognitive functions. For instance, I thought that I was an INTJ at first. I tested as one, much of the profile fit me, etc. However, as I began to learn more about the cognitive functions, I realised that yes, I am "brainy" or intellectual if you will, but that does not make me a T. For one thing, I couldn't Te to save my life, well, not very well anyway, and that Te happens to be a well developed function of the INTJ.
Those are excellent examples and explanation, i wouldn't be able to provide any better than that. :happy:

Once one learns the definitions of the functions, it can be helpful to identify one or two that you are sure of, then think about whether or not you are introverted or extroverted. Depending on your answer, look at the types for that, then find the ones that contain your chosen functions. You should be able to start filling in the blanks by the process of elimination. Then look at the one or two that have shaken out of that and read as much about them as you can to determine which really fits you best.
Thank you for posting this :happy:. I feel the same way you do about some of the supposed INFP's actually being ISFP's (they are even more similar, its just Ne v.s. Se). Like you said, understanding the cognitive functions is essential. Learning what they are, how they work, how to recognize them goes so far into helping a person TRULY understand the personality types. ex: Instead of just taking the test and accepting the results as being right.

Also, just wanted to add..The test gives you the results you want it to give you :tongue: I can make it give me any type i want it to give me any time...screw the test..it helps you at the beginning to get you somewhat aligned towards the general direction..that is it though.

Besides the altruist sentiments above, another reason I find it irritating is because I feel like the INFPs who label themselves as INFJs are contributing to a false impression to others of what INFJs are really like.
I feel similar (like i said above). INFP's! learn to recognize the functions properly, please?! :eek:
Thanks again for bringing this up.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Fe vs. Fi is a huge difference between the types. Fi feels for yourself. Fe feels for others. (INFPs use Fi, INFJs use Fe) Fi pulls in. Fe reaches out. Also, a dead giveaway is how we approach telling others what to do. INFPs inform (ie, 'the table needs to be set') vs. INFJs direct ('come get food!')

I dunno, I know a few INFPs, and while we get along great - I think it's pretty easy to tell the difference between us.

Also not sure why anyone would want to be INFJ... Between intuition and Fe I feel like I have almost no personal gain in any situation. I mean, I feel most of the time like I have the wait of the world on my shoulders... not exactly a fun-lovin personality type :)

Why do you think INFPs would want to be INFJs?
... because some test told then they are and they are set on the idea of being the rarest type.

Many think that just because they are organized at times means they are J, but there is SO much more to it than that.
I mean, when I dated an ISFP I felt more messy than him some days -- he'd be cleaning his room while I'd be late for class, but there was a HUGE difference -- he "lived in the moment" and internalized all of his feelings while I was figuring through various factors in the present to determine what would be best in the future via my Ni. I'd get myself overwhelmed at times when I'd be considering so many different factors in the present to see how to properly "transform", while he would care less.

There are many people that have been missed typed. What I find funny is when I find someone who thinks the MBTI isn't very accurate and when I ask them what their result was on the test they tell me a type that I know is definitely not them. I had an ENTP tell me that he scored INTJ when he truly did not have an INTJ personality at all -- he was too much of a comedian, but I figure he took it when he was in "intelligent" mode and not "funny" mode.

The mood you're in when you take it is a big factor and many people fail to realize that.

That all being said... if you have ever caught yourself telling someone what they "ought" to do, then you are an INFJ. If you have not, I would say you're INFP.

·
Banned
3,980 Posts
Not irritated really, it's more like a glitch in a CD or a scratch on a record for those who remember these things. You want to say something, but it would take too much time and work, since there are quite a few of them.

Here is an example from real life, I know someone who is clearly an INFP, but believes she is an INFJ because she took a test that said she was an INFJ and so she does not feel the need to look at any evidence beyond that. In fact, she won't even discuss the matter.

This is a person whose Fi pervades the very room in which she is usually to be found, playing a fantasy game on-line whilst listening to Cure songs, or any one of her collection of melancholy music. She does not care too much how she looks (that would be vain) and usually wears whatever is most comfortable and invariably black. She loves fantasy films, and romance novels. She prefers to live and let live, she would never be found telling someone what they ought to do. She cannot handle it when those she loves experience difficult emotions because she internalises them and they meld with her like the changelings on Deep Space Nine! I wish that she could see herself more clearly, because having faced some of her weaknesses, she could see best how to strengthen herself and maybe less depressed and more active (I really believe that she is going to die young if she does not get out of that chair and start being more active). She once said that she eats when she is feeling blue because it is like a hug on the inside.

I know that it is difficult to differentiate types because most share a trait or two, and some look very much alike indeed. Personally, I think that it is essential to understand the differences of the cognitive functions. For instance, I thought that I was an INTJ at first. I tested as one, much of the profile fit me, etc. However, as I began to learn more about the cognitive functions, I realised that yes, I am "brainy" or intellectual if you will, but that does not make me a T. For one thing, I couldn't Te to save my life, well, not very well anyway, and that Te happens to be a well developed function of the INTJ.

Once one learns the definitions of the functions, it can be helpful to identify one or two that you are sure of, then think about whether or not you are introverted or extroverted. Depending on your answer, look at the types for that, then find the ones that contain your chosen functions. You should be able to start filling in the blanks by the process of elimination. Then look at the one or two that have shaken out of that and read as much about them as you can to determine which really fits you best.

It should be said that much of the advice given on the type profiles is similar, and is good advice for any type, so no matter what your type, there is some good advice for becoming healthier.

Besides the altruist sentiments above, another reason I find it irritating is because I feel like the INFPs who label themselves as INFJs are contributing to a false impression to others of what INFJs are really like.
This here, is why I need an INFJ in my life! :proud:
I like the idea how INFJs just nudge people gentle onto the right track.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
sounds like a INFP

INfP aren't not active. My INFP friend holds a job and goes to college. Has a lot of opinions but doesn't really feel the need to say anything about it. spends the rest of the time taking a break in his room. Fi vs Fe big difference.
I'm more direct, this is that, blah blah blah.

maybe depression? She needs something to keep her out of the house were she feels welcomed and thats hard to find for I's

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
This is a helpful link that succinctly discusses the differences between P and J preferences, if anyone is interested: My MBTI Personality Type - MBTI Basics - Judging or Perceiving. The website is also helpful to understand the differences of other functions, and I thought i'd post this cause i saw a few posts from people trying to understand this better.

In general… when it comes to MBTI, only the individual can determine his or her type. Others can often make guesses or try to type someone, but just keep in mind that MBTI reflects how someone perceives the world and make decisions. We might think that someone REALLY seems like another type, but we can never verify this by going into that person's mind and seeing if they perceive the world with preferences of a certain type. you just have to take their word for it.

For example, upon reading your post, I thought the thought process in your post was similar to many of the other INFP posts on the INFJ thread and INFPs I know in real life. Why? Because unless I had read the title of your post, I would have no idea what point(s) you were trying to make. I understand everything you are saying, but it's not really organized in a way that's easy for me to follow. But if you relate to the INFJ preference more, so be it and I take your word for it.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
INFPs are more solitary, as much as they seem to hate it some days. You guys both have the dark side thing going, but that's not something that happens "some" of the time. INFP wanting to be INFJ could be for various reasons.

Wanting to feel more unique, and since INFJ is the least common type in our society..well you should get it.
Introverted Intuition and INFJ descriptions
Uncertainty

Main differences I notice are that INFPs live in Fi which is a lot more.. self centered. I mean look at one of those INFP threads where they all "admit" that they don't really love anyone.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I usually feel a very distinct difference between myself and INFP when interacting. INFPs tend to be more expressive than me, they seem more open, more willing to share what they feel and think on the inside with the world outside and less caring of how they appear to others. I think the key defining features are that they wish to express their core rather than modify their core like INFJs do it. For their heightened sensitivity, they do seem to have a more solid, less amenable personality while INFJ instead wishes to understand where other people are coming from and readjust to accommodate other people. These drives are opposite of each other.

I would also like to read more differences. It would help me determine which type I am.
can you tell us about your average day, what makes you happy, what makes you sad, what motivates you, what goals you have for future, etc. ... better even post it in "what's my personality type" subforum to not derail this thread

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I usually feel a very distinct difference between myself and INFP when interacting. INFPs tend to be more expressive than me, they seem more open, more willing to share what they feel and think on the inside with the world outside and less caring of how they appear to others. I think the key defining features are that they wish to express their core rather than modify their core like INFJs do it. For their heightened sensitivity, they do seem to have a more solid, less amenable personality while INFJ instead wishes to understand where other people are coming from and readjust to accommodate other people. These drives are opposite of each other.

can you tell us about your average day, what makes you happy, what makes you sad, what motivates you, what goals you have for future, etc. ... better even post it in "what's my personality type" subforum to not derail this thread
My goal for the future is to get a job, so I can buy a Lotus or Corvette Z06. Other than that, I don't have any.

I guess I already started derailing it, but I don't want to look for that thread you mentioned. Sorry.

I really can't distinguish between INFJs and INFPs....or any other type, for that matter.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
My goal for the future is to get a job, so I can buy a Lotus or Corvette Z06. Other than that, I don't have any.

I guess I already started derailing it, but I don't want to look for that thread you mentioned. Sorry.

I really can't distinguish between INFJs and INFPs....or any other type, for that matter.
You actually sound like a sensor to me in your posts - ISFP or ISFJ perhaps.

That is not a thread I mentioned, it is a subforum where people who are confused about their MBTI type post about themselves. Then others help them figure out which type they are.

·
Registered
49 Posts
hmmm... My guess is that she likes the rarity of it. INFJ's make up only 1% of the population, whereas INFPs are closer to 30%. Being pegged as an INFJ probably made your friend feel special, and unique. That manner of validation could have blinded her to the facts.

In my opinion it really shouldn't matter to you what type you technically are. true it can be a great tool for understanding yourself and others, but does it really affect her life enough to cause such a fuss over? I think that your friend should concentrate less on labels and more on the bigger things out there.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
So are you talking about people in your real life or on here? because I highly doubt the majority of people who know nothing about Jung or mbti really care if someone represents what infjs' "really are like". And more to the point; why the concern about presenting an image of a "real infj" to others? I could very well say that your description of the infp friend you know, is not a "real infp" (oh the delicious irony). Image and impression is just that; superficial. "wrong impression" is a bit of an oxymoron, when impression really says little about a persons' functional mindset. Superficial qualifiers mislead people who fail to look beneath the surface.

If you think people on here aren't really infjs', why not just confront them and leave it at that?

What makes a "real infj" anyway? someone "whose Ni pervades the very room in which they are usually to be found"? :crazy:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sirs/ Maams,

I am a bit confused how you describe the difference of INFPs and INFJs. What would be the most significant trait they do not share, that they just differ? :unsure:

Thank you. :happy:
I think that one of the biggest differences is that the INFP is less likely to feel the urge to direct people, or to actively try to change them.

The INFJ is more likely to go beyond thinking about what is wrong with someone and will "help" them by speaking up about what X person needs to do in order to improve themselves, often unasked by the supposedly malfunctioning other person. We're also more likely to complain about what is wrong in our environment, and can be very detailed about what is wrong, why it's wrong, and how it should be fixed.

Hope that helps.

·
Banned
1,969 Posts
I think that one of the biggest differences is that the INFP is less likely to feel the urge to direct people, or to actively try to change them.

The INFJ is more likely to go beyond thinking about what is wrong with someone and will "help" them by speaking up about what X person needs to do in order to improve themselves, often unasked by the supposedly malfunctioning other person. We're also more likely to complain about what is wrong in our environment, and can be very detailed about what is wrong, why it's wrong, and how it should be fixed.

Hope that helps.
That sounds very much like me :unsure:

:tongue:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Reply Part 1

In general… when it comes to MBTI, only the individual can determine his or her type.
This is exactly the problem, she has no basis for asserting firmly that she is an INFJ, other than having taken a test that said she was an INFJ. She is not interested in determining her type by self examination in conjunction with understanding the functions.

For example, upon reading your post, I thought the thought process in your post was similar to many of the other INFP posts on the INFJ thread and INFPs I know in real life.
I believe that INFPs sometimes drift away from the subject in a sort of stream of consciousness connecting of thoughts/feelings as they come to them. This is Ne in action. I don't think that this is the case in my thread post.

Why? Because unless I had read the title of your post, I would have no idea what point(s) you were trying to make. I understand everything you are saying, but it's not really organized in a way that's easy for me to follow.
I'm sorry if my post was difficult to follow. I broke it up into smaller pieces because it is a particularly long post. However, I believe that the succinctness of my post is adequate to its theme. It is a subjective question that invites input from others regarding irritation with the mistype of INFP over INFJ, and contains an example from my own life. Anyway, I am happy to clarify anything that is confusing about it.

1 - 20 of 182 Posts