Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, in internet browsing and occasionally in RL interactions. I've been seeing similar conversations that happen in a similar order. It reoccurs especially when reading Youtube or other popular social media apps, for example

Person A posts an offensive comment
Person B replies with an outraged exclamation
Person C posts after A and B had been fighting that they're both stupid and the argument is dumb
Person C is ignored and more people join in the conversation leading to a 100+ comment thread

Things like this have been a constant thorn whenever I'm trying to search for authentic argument. Is this something that you've been experiencing or is it just some function of my personality overreacting?

Small Note: This has occurred to me in the past but not as much as it does now.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Quality debate is very rare to observe, let alone engage in. Though often, what few "intelligent" discussions I've been in don't really qualify as debates at all. Though certainly there are disagreements that arise, and rebuttals are therefore made, but they rarely dominate the entirety of the discussion, since focusing solely on what's disagreed on is typically counter-productive.

Edit: But yes more on point, I've found that pattern several times as well. Often though simply identifying these types of patterns is more a virtue of psychological distance than utility. Although irritating all the same.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I don't take most online debates seriously. Not very many people actually want to consider a different perspective. They're looking for others to confirm their opinion, are angry and looking for an outlet and/or are trolling.

I stopped reading the YT comments, which actually used to be insightful way, way back in the day, because of that. There are still places one can go for insightful discourse, but when I find that thoughtful arguments aren't the norm of a space, I disengage.

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
Yeah, I mean, what's to debate?

There are certain facts, and then there are certain positions -- I don't know, about morality or whatever -- that, to solve, have to be approached with a certain amount of technical apparatus. It requires patience, deliberation, and a common language in order to state and refute positions, in my opinion.

I guess some people are interested in "winning" some imaginary points, but that's for other people.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Seeing these kind of patterns is what we're wired to do. Instead of getting frustrated by the patterns themselves, see this as a strength that only a fraction of population could have, and that you have this ability automatically, effortlessly. Try to find the right application.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sadly people are often like this in real life too... Because people only want to be affirmed and often only affirm others even if they don't always agree. The funny thing is, I was so used to this kind of behaviour that my first discussions with my INTJ boyfriend often made me frustrated. He often even defends standpoints he doesn't necessarily believe in, just to make me come up with a compelling argument. (Btw is this normal INTJ behaviour? I started doing it too sometimes...) I was just so used to people accepting my opinions as facts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Sadly people are often like this in real life too... Because people only want to be affirmed and often only affirm others even if they don't always agree. The funny thing is, I was so used to this kind of behaviour that my first discussions with my INTJ boyfriend often made me frustrated. He often even defends standpoints he doesn't necessarily believe in, just to make me come up with a compelling argument. (Btw is this normal INTJ behaviour? I started doing it too sometimes...) I was just so used to people accepting my opinions as facts
"Devil's advocate"

Although, I hate being accused of doing that. I assume they think I'm arguing the other side just for shits and giggles... which is a waste of time and borderline trolling/contrarian: two things I can't stand.

Just trying to overturn as many rocks as possible while exploring an idea. So when someone says "this is my opinion," I assume they've gone through a similar process, which leads to 'devil's advocating' or the 'why do you think that?' direct approach. That's also the point at which the debate goes off the rails into defensive or name-calling territory.

Anyway, isn't seeing an issue from another person's POV some kind of empathy? I feel like there's a lack of that these days. The beauty of a debate gets lost when folks aren't willing to at least understand how their opponent draws their conclusion.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
In my experience it's usually that Person B (the POV that caused the outrage) is the one ostracized, blocked, etc. Which is worse than your Person C scenario, and I think less problematic. At least if they are ignoring C and letting A & B continue, they aren't outright saying (to B), "you can't be here because you disagree with the rest of us".

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Seeing this conversation pattern I've learnt not to take seriously and veiw with amusement. Oh and another pattern (usually found in the same area) there is also a strong tendency for people to use their opinion/beleif/idea as fact.

The judgment on whether I would get involved is whether the other person is receptive to listening and is able to be reasoned with. If not, well it's a waste of time to debate with someone who denys objective fact in favour of a beleif/opinion and never offering evidence to support their claims.

·
Banned
601 Posts
It is indeed the way our brain is wired to percieve patterns, however unfortunate. I am certain that there are other patterns like the aforementioned in the world, where daily occurrences are (in theory), a combination of previous patterns, and are only variations of the old. Sometimes I wonder whether I will see anything original and off note in a society that seems to prefer a static system in a dynamic world. But that is the way of things, and only when patterns are repeated over and over then broken can new knowledge be achieved.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts