Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might be more of a 3w4 thing.
I can relate to 3w4 in being a bit into how I come off to others and my identity. But I'm not goal oriented. In fact I'm incredibly lazy.

·
Registered
433 Posts
No, I've seen plenty of different types have diverging public and private personas.

One person whom I've known for years and who shows very stark differences between how she presents herself in public and in private is a 7w6 sp/so. She does strongly value the social instinct and that could play into this.

·
Heretic
ESI 9w8 5w4 2w1
10,672 Posts
I can relate to 3w4 in being a bit into how I come off to others and my identity. But I'm not goal oriented. In fact I'm incredibly lazy.
You are right that it does touch on image.
In other words the 2, 3 and 4 point in the enneagram.

The 3 is indeed concerned with presenting the image both outwards and inwards.
It does this by rapidly identifying with whatever highly regarded outward sources value.
It then presents this image both inward and outward fooling themself and others.
The 4 mostly fools themself and the 2 mostly fools others.
However it is a complicated process with many twists and turns in either case
and not something to be easily labeled and set as something permanently fixed.
An error the traditional enneagram is all to eager to perpetrate over and over, with it's fixations.
Not that the fixations are not real phenomena, but their stability can be debated.
After all if you buy into it, you start to tell yourself that your biggest flaw
is something you should label and identify with.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Everyone, whether they realize it or not, has multiple personas for use in more-private settings and multiple personas for use in more-public settings. Public and private are in a spectrum. As long as you're interacting with someone else, the persona you're using will have a public component to it.

• Do you have different email addresses for personal and work stuff?
  • If you have a Facebook profile, are certain info/photos/posts/etc only visible to certain groups? Or does the public see everything?
  • If you have both a LinkedIn profile and a Facebook profile, do they present the exact same information to the public? Would your LinkedIn profile picture be more "professional" than your Facebook profile picture?
  • Are the clothes you wear when lounging around at home the same thing you'd wear while partying with friends, and are those the same clothes you'd wear while interviewing for a job?
  • For those who are parents, would you address your children in the same way you'd address your parents?
  • Would you address your siblings in the same way you'd address your significant others?
  • Do you treat all of your previous/current/future significant others in the same, exact way?
  • Would you address your bosses in the same way you'd address your co-working peers?
  • If/when you're in court, would you address the judge in the same way you'd address a fast-food cashier?
People have different personas for people who they like and another set for people who they don't like. When people try to manipulate me into being more cooperative, they'd go "I know you aren't like this!" and I'd go, "I'm like this to people who I don't like!"

People have different personas for people who they know and another set for people who they don't know. If you treat a total stranger in the same way you treat your best friend, you'll either creep out/offend the stranger with an inappropriate overly-familiar tone, or you'll offend/hurt your best friend by acting like you don't know them.

If you live in a culture with a strong focus on some kind of social hierarchy or distance (think honorifics), addressing your elders with the same persona you'd use to address your friends will be deemed offensive, rude, disrespectful, and socially inappropriate. If you address your friends with the same persona you'd use to address your elders, they'll probably think that's weird.

Similar results if you use informal language when formal language is expected. I remember my inattentive rudeness being pointed out by an English-speaking foreign language teacher when I answered a question with "yeah" instead of "yes". I don't think of myself as a well-dressed or respectful person, but if I have to go to court, you can bet that I'm going to dress nicely and go "Yes, your honor" or "No, your honor".

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hello. I am a 9w1, and I have been know to have different personas in public and in private. In public, I appear more sociable and outgoing than I appear at home. I look like I am more fun than I actually am in public, sometimes. Hahaha! At home, I am really a recluse who enjoys the joys of nesting in my peaceful, quiet and cozy environment. I am more laid back and relaxed at home unless I am in a more playful mood or more theatrical because someone is bringing that side of me out more. Nothing to do with image.

By the way, I am not very goal oriented or particularly ambitious either. I can be incredibly lazy too...I am a 9. Now, I am thinking about it, sometimes, it does feel Three-ish when I do that, especially when I don't feel like it. I have learned as a Nine to be more present and engaging when I am with people in public. Sometimes, it requires for me to be more like a 3 in ought to keep doing it and keep moving. I am that way when I am shopping and running into fellow customers whether they are new people or people I have seen before.

What about your identity when it comes to being like a 3w4? Is it about professionalism?

Reactions: WintersFlame
1 - 7 of 7 Posts