Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I realise how egocentric this sounds... But it has really got me thinking. Just about every person I know who is spiritual (not to be confused with an insane religious fanboy) appears to have a very strong feeling function, weather it is there naturally, or they have developed it through maturity. I feel this is likewise with the intuition.
Weather I like it or not, I have always felt an intangible, almost indescribable force leading me to do what's right, and to follow this so called path in life. It's like the drive I feel to do what I do is biologically wired into my brain. Not doing what I feel is right is actually harder for me than following through with it. I believe a lot of this has to do with my uncanny sense of empathy. As far back as I can remember, when I witness someone who's in extreme pain, especially emotional pain, I feel it with them. I feel actual sensations. I get stomache aches. I feel like crying whenever I hear of a child getting molested, or a woman getting raped. Nothing like this has ever happened to me, but I feel it right there with them.
I also think this way because in my experience, those who don't come off being anything similar to what I described above; the very, "In the here and now", "Insensitive", and "Logical" type of people have no clue to what I am talking about when I try to explain this feeling to them. I have no way of explaining it to them to the point that they can uderstand it. Everytime I try to express my views, I get chastised, or they think I'm hallucinating. All I ever wanted to do is to share my ritch inner world with them. I feel there is a big chance that the incompetence is on me, or at least part of it.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I wouldn't say we're a "pipeline" to anything divine (though you can consider some people to be). I think due to our functions we can more readily understand such concepts. Not that other types can't mind you. It's just that some concepts aren't as easily digested depending on your cognitive functions. Intuitives can grasp at the metaphysics seemingly more quickly due to our functions. Words that can't be described but "felt". God,goddess,spirits etc. are words that are not based in concrete. So sensors, while they can be very devout or spiritual just as there are INFP atheists, may have a harder time with these ideas. Again, one is not superior to another, just functions.

Alos, there is nothing wrong with you. Different people will always react differently when you try to put into words how you feel. That seems to be an common issue with more Introverted people anyway. Expressing yourself with words. It's hard expressing emotions and feelings in general I think. Be proud to be sensitive to injustice and having strong morals.

Also, apologies if this seemed like oversimplification of explaining the functions. I'm still learning about them and I'm at work so I had to shorten my response.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
All I ever wanted to do is to share my ritch inner world with them. I feel there is a big chance that the incompetence is on me, or at least part of it.
Are you big enough to contain even those working against you?

·
Banned
3,960 Posts
It is good that you have this. Cos I know I have lost mine.
I would encourage you to preserve this or to channel it in some ways...
I do not know if this is a pipeline to God, but this is your soul. It's your ID.
I know that, the more you are exposed to society and so forth, the more you will lose this sense if you do not protect it, and the more you doubt yourself as well.

So, protect it... Nurture it and protect it.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
Are you big enough to contain even those working against you?
For some reason I found this a beautiful statement and it made me think of this

" Do I contradict myself?
Very well, then, I contradict myself;
(I am large—I contain multitudes.)"
-walt whitman, likely infp

I can't speak for other types, I don't mean to imply we are "superior", but I feel a highly evolved infp probably has a very strong spiritual and intutive sense that makes one feel both "self" and "all" because we are cut from the same cloth; that's basically the definition of healthy Fi, actually, and Ne adds to that feeling of "I could be them", "They could me", this sense of expansiveness and wonder at change and how things fit together. I feel art is a sign of tapping into something pure or "godlike" (though I don't believe in God in the sense of a deity, and the words really don't have the connotations I want), and infps are inclined in that direction with a natural talent at seeing that way... interestingly, I just don't talk about spirituality or God because I don't believe in God and I'm not religious and yet I still my life feeling there is the "great all-together all-tyeing thing"- whether it is aware or the playground for things to happen, whether i am part of it or spectator, whether it is the sum or the parts, whether it is a system or happenstance and whether it is forever or fleeting, it really doesn't matter-- and I suspect it is all. I often dream of following the sun or a waterwheel of power in the center of the universe I am a privileged observer of... the red sun is a poweful symbol to me and when i had a tumblr it was one i frequently archived because it represents this idea... and that is not something I want to have to describe to others. I know it exists on at least one level, not even the level that exists to me alone; and I don't really care to describe what "it" is or to apply it the world or to "argue" about it. People care about the stupidest things. IOr maybe this is what I mean:

"I believe in you, my Soul—the other I am must not abase itself to you;
And you must not be abased to the other."

A lot of things the point isn't to explain.

heehee

·
Banned
3,960 Posts
I realise how egocentric this sounds... But it has really got me thinking. Just about every person I know who is spiritual (not to be confused with an insane religious fanboy) appears to have a very strong feeling function, weather it is there naturally, or they have developed it through maturity. I feel this is likewise with the intuition.
Weather I like it or not, I have always felt an intangilbe, almost indescribable force leading me to do what's right, and to follow this so called path in life. It's like the drive I feel to do what I do is biologically wired into my brain. Not doing what I feel is right is actually harder for me than following through with it. I believe a lot of this has to do with my uncanny sense of empathy. As far back as I can remember, when I witness someone who's in extreme pain, especially emotional pain, I feel it with them. I feel actual sensations. I get stomache aches. I feel like crying whenever I hear of a child getting molested, or a woman getting raped. Nothing like this has ever happened to me, but I feel it right there with them.
I also think this way because in my experience, those who don't come off being anything similar to what I described above; the very, "In the here and now", "Insensitive", and "Logical" type of people have no clue to what I am talking about when I try to explain this feeling to them. I have no way of explaining it to them to the point that they can uderstand it. Everytime I try to express my views, I get chastised, or they think I'm hallucinating. All I ever wanted to do is to share my ritch inner world with them. I feel there is a big chance that the incompetence is on me, or at least part of it.
You are not hallucinating, this is your empath ability to feel someone's pain, and you recognise the cry from them as something from their core being. When we are continually exposed to this though, somehow we also shut down completely, and become desensitized as well. But if you have strong convictions, and always listen to your own inner voice to guide you, I hope that you can turn it into something beautiful in your own life.

I stopped listening to this voice, and this inner gut instinct, and I actually got conditioned out of me. I can say for me, it has become and turn to that point already. The only time in my life that I had this was when I was younger, and I was a mentor to an INTJ cousin, and I was able to bring her out of her own emotional shell, and protect it and guard her. She sometimes question things and I tell her what is what etc. The experience allowed me to understand what things meant. I studies Taoism, and it was relevant to my worldview, of my whole family etc. I also did at one point wanted to go abroad and do charity work etc. Work in the field for UN etc... I dunno why I had this strong inkling to do so. I did.

You do not have to share your own inner world with them, save that for a partner who tries to understand you. But you got to understand that your empathy is a part of your daily function. It hurt sometimes if it is not responded back. But do believe in your own abilities. Listen to your gut instinct and maybe every once a while, revisit this feeling again and again.... If you can sense that their expectation on you is that of incompetence, then stand firm. Because if you let this go...i.e. do things their way and not your way, then you will lose your own sense of self as well, and you will lose your own path... Since you told us that you have a strong conviction right now, try and find a way to protect this. Wherever you go, try and find NF allies. Cos if those people are true too, they will stand by you. Together you can solve a situation than if you stood on your own.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Spiritual – but if we're following a stereotype INFP's are much too non-conformist to follow a creed or religious dogma. I'm very spiritual, but in 'spirit' – I'm always making sure something is proven or disproven before I can believe it. E.g I don't believe in god, but I'm not an atheist until it's disproven.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't say we're a "pipeline" to anything divine (though you can consider some people to be). I think due to our functions we can more readily understand such concepts. Not that other types can't mind you. It's just that some concepts aren't as easily digested depending on your cognitive functions. Intuitives can grasp at the metaphysics seemingly more quickly due to our functions. Words that can't be described but "felt". God,goddess,spirits etc. are words that are not based in concrete. So sensors, while they can be very devout or spiritual just as there are INFP atheists, may have a harder time with these ideas. Again, one is not superior to another, just functions.

Alos, there is nothing wrong with you. Different people will always react differently when you try to put into words how you feel. That seems to be an common issue with more Introverted people anyway. Expressing yourself with words. It's hard expressing emotions and feelings in general I think. Be proud to be sensitive to injustice and having strong morals.

Also, apologies if this seemed like oversimplification of explaining the functions. I'm still learning about them and I'm at work so I had to shorten my response.
That's kind of what I was trying to say. Not the person themselves, but the function combination. Is that some kind of pipeline to God, Allah, the sun, at all, do you think?

Reactions: Sage del Viento

·
Registered
663 Posts
We are all connected to the "pipeline". The only difference is the degree of awareness that each one of us have of it. We also perceive information differently. To try to make some sense of what each one of us perceive, we invented languages/metaphors/symbols yet information is not the words/symbols it is the meaning each one of us get from them. When we share a similar way of perceiving things we have the same MBTI functions.

I believe in balance and that each one of us fulfill a function that others can't. Intuition is great to see connection but sensors help us to focus and to carry on those projects. No one is superior, they are just different ways of interpreting the information we get through our senses. Each one have is strength and limitations. With intuition you know the answer to the question instantly but most of the time you don't know why that is the answer. More logical people have to go through steps and eventually understand the answer and the reason why is it like that.

Personally for me intuition is king. So far it has never been wrong. Even as crazy as it my seem for the intellect, it is usually on the spot. So I have learned to trust it. The intellect on the other hand, has failed me a lot lol. I like to explore logic to try to understand how others with different cognitive functions see the world.

I enjoy my particular way of figuring out the world. Because of it I can understand so much and connect with others in a very intimate way. Sure it have its problem sometimes like having difficult sometimes separating my own feelings of the feelings of others. So continue to trust your intuition even if you don't know why it is usually on the spot.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You are not hallucinating, this is your empath ability to feel someone's pain, and you recognise the cry from them as something from their core being. When we are continually exposed to this though, somehow we also shut down completely, and become desensitized as well. But if you have strong convictions, and always listen to your own inner voice to guide you, I hope that you can turn it into something beautiful in your own life.

I stopped listening to this voice, and this inner gut instinct, and I actually got conditioned out of me. I can say for me, it has become and turn to that point already. The only time in my life that I had this was when I was younger, and I was a mentor to an INTJ cousin, and I was able to bring her out of her own emotional shell, and protect it and guard her. She sometimes question things and I tell her what is what etc. The experience allowed me to understand what things meant. I studies Taoism, and it was relevant to my worldview, of my whole family etc. I also did at one point wanted to go abroad and do charity work etc. Work in the field for UN etc... I dunno why I had this strong inkling to do so. I did.

You do not have to share your own inner world with them, save that for a partner who tries to understand you. But you got to understand that your empathy is a part of your daily function. It hurt sometimes if it is not responded back. But do believe in your own abilities. Listen to your gut instinct and maybe every once a while, revisit this feeling again and again.... If you can sense that their expectation on you is that of incompetence, then stand firm. Because if you let this go...i.e. do things their way and not your way, then you will lose your own sense of self as well, and you will lose your own path... Since you told us that you have a strong conviction right now, try and find a way to protect this. Wherever you go, try and find NF allies. Cos if those people are true too, they will stand by you. Together you can solve a situation than if you stood on your own.
You are amazing. :) Do you think there is any hope to retrieve your 'inner voice'?

Reactions: Sage del Viento

·
Registered
17,161 Posts
Perhaps there is an inclination to feel one with things at large, it's typical that INFP's look at the grand scheme/bigger picture of things and avoid those messy details :)
For me i'm agnostic, the thought that has me calm within the world being how it is as we all want to attribute meaning to things as to why they happen is thinking that we're like ying and yang. There's need for balance, there's many nasty things being done, people so vile and monstrous while there are also great humanitarians and people helping others. Theoretically we could live in a utopia world on earth but we never will as there will be broken individuals and power hungry people who will create . So both the good and bad in the world must and will always exist. If there is a God I don't doubt he interacts much with mankind helping people or punishing but we're just here to direct our own step which we can only do partially.
So this is why I accept that there will always be terrible things done but it's up to the good people of the world to strive against such things. To ease one's suffering with their love and remove fear from people.

I don't know if that's a spiritual way of accepting the terrible but it's how I view it at this moment for now.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
That's kind of what I was trying to say. Not the person themselves, but the function combination. Is that some kind of pipeline to God, Allah, the sun, at all, do you think?
Well, there are INFP who are atheists, so I can't say for sure. The functions may, or rather, do in fact make us more sensitive to our surroundings. So perhaps so. Like I said, while we may have a harder time digesting hard logic, (not that we can't) we can quickly jump into the concepts of spiritual systems (not that others can't). There are just so many variables with these kind of things.

I will say though, if you feel this way and it's not harming anyone else, then develop it and keep it. Those are some very good qualities to have as others have stated and they're sorely needed in this world.

·
Banned
3,960 Posts
You are amazing. :) Do you think there is any hope to retrieve your 'inner voice'?
I'm not amazing. I'm just broke from my own experiences. I read your other thread about fighting against the corporation... I appreciate that you shared that with me because I could not see the situation from the outside in when I was in the same position. But when you shared that story with me, I could sense your emotions. Maybe this is why INFPs are also writers. Cos I could not put myself in your shoes, but I could "feel" it from your writing.

I have no idea how I could retrieve it back. But recently, I read many threads here, and with some combination of people and things happening, my inner voice kind of came back a little bit I guess. I dreamt as well, which is a first. I have also read the Please understand me 2 book and I started to understand it, but it is not a good way. It is not a spiritual gut instinct way, but it is a technical way. I need to at some point remove myself from this forum because I think this forum also drags me down too. I keep saying that, but I got to find a workable way for myself to live successfully... With Fi leading the way towards happiness and this strong "pipeline to God". When you write it, I just know what you mean and I could use many different words to tell you what it is, but then it will also confuse you too, cos it would divert your attention to check out those concepts, which is not what I want to do to you. So whatever and however you got this intuition, stick with it. Keep it simple. Cos if you learn more system, you will become as doubtful as me too.

When I met this INFP guy recently, it was his motivation which made me quit my job. It was so odd... I know it should not come from outside, but it should come from inside.... I got more INFP friends and I am slowly kind of understand what, why and how... I also now start to realise when I am lying myself. lol. i.e. say things to please others but I do not feel or mean it inside.

From what you described in the situation, I too would feel this strong energy within me to do something, but that also is not good too... I have always been kind of moralistic. I dunno if I need to squish this within myself or not. Cos I flip and turn it into a bad energy, I know this now.

Whatever you feel, just remember to channel it and not to learn more techniques and so forth and quantify it, cos you will lose it. I assure you. Just get rid of this corporation case, and cut the ties lose, and remember what has been written here, and go forth with your own gut instincts, however it has been working for you. Use that same method...

·
Banned
867 Posts
I think many NFs just use the same way of thinking commonly connected to spiritual thinking. I'm an Agnostic/Atheist, but I certainly understand what you mean.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have no idea who this "god" guy is, but come to think of it his name looks like "good" so I am suspicious if he has color coded morality.

However, I do feel a connection to something!
There is this horrible thing that tells me to kill myself when I'm stressed to an extreme, but even better it offers me visions of how this process might be completed!

So...if this thing is god then god is an asshole.

Reactions: InternalWonderous

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have no idea who this "god" guy is, but come to think of it his name looks like "good" so I am suspicious if he has color coded morality.

However, I do feel a connection to something!
There is this horrible thing that tells me to kill myself when I'm stressed to an extreme, but even better it offers me visions of how this process might be completed!

So...if this thing is god then god is an asshole.
HA! I get that sometimes too! But it's not really the inner voice telling me to do so, it's when I start to ruminate about the monotony of every day life... Then I remind myself of what my purpose in life is...

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
From what you described in the situation, I too would feel this strong energy within me to do something, but that also is not good too... I have always been kind of moralistic. I dunno if I need to squish this within myself or not. Cos I flip and turn it into a bad energy, I know this now....
How?

Whatever you feel, just remember to channel it and not to learn more techniques and so forth and quantify it, cos you will lose it.
I'm not sure if I exactly know what you mean by this. Do you mean like, turn it into anger?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If my memory serves me correctly, according to Jung, Fi is supposed to be the function that
is closest to the unconscious.

Perhaps then, the unconscious is connected to some kind of universal intelligence.
Maybe that's why we are the most prone to day dreaming as well. o_o

Reactions: Belovodia
1 - 20 of 46 Posts