Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any other strange MBTI type 5's? I'm an ENFP so a lot of my personality attributes are contradictory to 5ness. This makes it difficult because I can't completely relate to people who are type 5 and then even less so to ENFP's. Anyone else like this?

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I'm curious what made you decide you are ENFP 5 if you don't relate to those types?

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I'm curious what made you decide you are ENFP 5 if you don't relate to those types?
I was going to ask the same thing. Can you tell us what parts you don't relate to or give you trouble? A lot of online descriptions describe a persona that I feel is a bit more on the 6 wing side, so sometimes I feel they get it wrong, but overall I relate to a lot of what the books say.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Because type 5 is what matches me, I went through the same process you have. Took some tests, read up on it, etc.

I was going to ask the same thing. Can you tell us what parts you don't relate to or give you trouble? A lot of online descriptions describe a persona that I feel is a bit more on the 6 wing side, so sometimes I feel they get it wrong, but overall I relate to a lot of what the books say.
The main issues stems from me being a very laughy, goofy, extrovert. However 90% of people see the dark, brooding side of me, but at heart I'm a strange, silly man. I don't really have a fear of the word nor do I have any boundary issues, nor do I hoard time to myself. I just do not fit the conventional picture of a type 5 in any way. It sucks quite a bit because if I were to explain to someone my personality, I can't simply say I'm an "ENFP" or a "type 5," I have to say both otherwise neither accurately conveys my personality.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Because type 5 is what matches me, I went through the same process you have. Took some tests, read up on it, etc.

The main issues stems from me being a very laughy, goofy, extrovert. However 90% of people see the dark, brooding side of me, but at heart I'm a strange, silly man. I don't really have a fear of the word nor do I have any boundary issues, nor do I hoard time to myself. I just do not fit the conventional picture of a type 5 in any way. It sucks quite a bit because if I were to explain to someone my personality, I can't simply say I'm an "ENFP" or a "type 5," I have to say both otherwise neither accurately conveys my personality.
What do you fear then? Because the core of Type 5 is the Fear that they can't handle the outside world. If you don't relate to that fear, then you don't relate to the very heart of Type 5. The point of Enneagram is to find what the heart of your motivations are, not the surface level behaviors.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Based on what you've typed so far, I'm having difficulty seeing you as a 5.
I know

What do you fear then? Because the core of Type 5 is the Fear that they can't handle the outside world. If you don't relate to that fear, then you don't relate to the very heart of Type 5. The point of Enneagram is to find what the heart of your motivations are, not the surface level behaviors.
My fear most closely matches type 5 and there are still manifestations of this fear, but I still don't completely relate. For example, for the past two years I've rarely left my apartment. I just stay inside and research various things, however it isn't out of fear of the world, it's out of curiosity, but it still goes along with the theme. I understand what the point of the enneagram is, the problem is that I do not entirely fit into it, so there's not much I can say or do about that. Like I said, "Type 5" alone doesn't reflect my personality, nor does "ENFP," I have to use both to describe myself.

The deduction here is not that because I don't match Type 5's fear, I'm not a type 5, the deduction is that this personality system does not account for my combination of personality attributes.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I know

My fear most closely matches type 5 and there are still manifestations of this fear, but I still don't completely relate. For example, for the past two years I've rarely left my apartment. I just stay inside and research various things, however it isn't out of fear of the world, it's out of curiosity, but it still goes along with the theme. I understand what the point of the enneagram is, the problem is that I do not entirely fit into it, so there's not much I can say or do about that. Like I said, "Type 5" alone doesn't reflect my personality, nor does "ENFP," I have to use both to describe myself.

The deduction here is not that because I don't match Type 5's fear, I'm not a type 5, the deduction is that this personality system does not account for my combination of personality attributes.
Actually I'm thinking the deduction is that you have an underlying condition that's effecting your natural self.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Of course, that would be unhealthyness, but I'm speaking within the context of the subject of hand.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Of course, that would be unhealthyness, but I'm speaking within the context of the subject of hand.
Well in that case, referring back to your original post, I don't have anything to contribute. Type 5 and ISTP are so similar and I relate 100% to each of them. So i guess I'll leave your thread to perhaps another extroverted 5 who can identify.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts

This discussion is a bit difficult because you're being fairly vague here. I know you said the issue isn't that you've been mistyped but that you feel your type descriptions don't fit you. But you haven't really said how or why they don't fit.

I'm a very optimistic, happy, friendly, and silly person. I don't have a dark, brooding side. I don't have boundary issues, but as a SX/SP 5 (which are both very apparent in my life) I get easily drained from a lot of social interaction - so I generally don't make plans on weekdays, I like to make plans in advance, but I also have issues with very easily talking myself out of doing something because I think I'll be too tired or drained. I like close interactions and I have close friends in my life, but I just don't see them all that often. I never felt very intruded upon as a child and I've always had a great relationship with both my parents, siblings, and my friends. I live with my boyfriend and I like living with him. Lots of people would say I don't fit a lot of the 5 descriptions but I relate very strongly to all the book descriptions that go into motivations, passions, childhood messages, core fears, childhood descriptions, integration and disintegration, etc. I don't think they erase my experience but they don't really talk about specific experiences - more what our responses and reactions might be and how our motivations will play out.

Can I ask if you've read the descriptions in books or just on the websites? I relate far more to what most of the books say.

How does your fear manifest then? You say you relate somewhat, but I'm not clear on what it is you relate to about being a 5. I'm not saying you're mistyped, but I know a lot of 9's initially type as 5's. Also, do you know what your instinctual stacking is? An SX 5 can look very different from an SO 5. Check out these threads to look at how you relate to the stackings:
http://personalitycafe.com/type-5-forum-investigator/9160-type-five-variant-stackings.html
http://personalitycafe.com/type-5-f...ve-instinctual-variants-without-stacking.html

Here's some other 5-isms:

Passion:
Type 5 - Fives feel that they lack inner resources and that too much interaction with others will lead to catastrophic depletion. This Passion leads Fives to withhold themselves from contact with the world. Thus they hold on to their resources and minimize their needs.
Unconscious Childhood Messages:
Type 1 -
"It's not okay to make mistakes."
Type 2 - "It's not okay to have your own needs."
Type 3 - "It's not okay to have your own feelings and identity."
Type 4 - "It's not okay to be too functional or too happy."
Type 5 - "It's not okay to be comfortable in the world."
Type 6 - "It's not okay to trust yourself."
Type 7 - "It's not okay to depend on anyone for anything."
Type 8 - "It's not okay to be vulnerable or to trust anyone."
Type 9 - "It's not okay to assert yourself."

Basic Fears:
Type 1 - Fear of being bad, corrupt, evil, or defective.
Type 2 - Fear of being unworthy or unloved.
Type 3 - Fear of being worthless or without inherent value.
Type 4 - Fear of being without identity or personal significance.
Type 5 - Fear of being useless, incapable, or incompetent.
Type 6 - Fear of being without support or guidance.
Type 7 - Fear of being deprived or trapped in pain.
Type 8 - Fear of being harmed or controlled by others.
Type 9 - Fear of loss of connection, of fragmentation.

Basic Desires and their Distortions:
Type 1 - The desire to have integrity (deteriorates into critical perfection).
Type 2 - The desire to be loved (deteriorates into the need to be needed).
Type 3 - The desire to be valuable (deteriorates into chasing after success).
Type 4 - The desire to be oneself (deteriorates into self-indulgence).
Type 5 - The desire to be competent (deteriorates into useless specialization).
Type 6 - The desire to be secure (deteriorates into attachment to beliefs).
Type 7 - The desire to be happy (deteriorates into frenetic escapism).
Type 8 - The desire to protect oneself (deteriorates into constant fighting).
Type 9 - The desire to be at peace (deteriorates into stubborn neglectfulness).

Lost Childhood Messages:
Type 1 -
"You are good."
Type 2 - "You are wanted."
Type 3 - "You are loved for yourself."
Type 4 - "You are seen for who you are."
Type 5 - "Your needs are not a problem."
Type 6 - "You are safe."
Type 7 - "You will be taken care of."
Type 8 - "You will not be betrayed."
Type 9 - "Your presence matters."

Spiritual Jump Start (patterns to be aware of):
Unconscious Childhood Messages:
Type 1 -
Value-judging, condemning yourself and others.
Type 2 - Giving your value away to others.
Type 3 - Trying to be other than you authentically are.
Type 4 - Making negative comparisons.
Type 5 - Over interpreting your experience.
Type 6 - Becoming dependent on something outside yourself for support.
Type 7 - Anticipating what you are going to do next.
Type 8 - Trying to force or control your life.
Type 9 - Resisting being affected by your experiences.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Passion:
Type 5 - Fives feel that they lack inner resources and that too much interaction with others will lead to catastrophic depletion. This Passion leads Fives to withhold themselves from contact with the world. Thus they hold on to their resources and minimize their needs.

Unconscious Childhood Message:
Type 5 - "It's not okay to be comfortable in the world."

Basic Fear:
Type 5 - Fear of being useless, incapable, or incompetent.

Basic Desire and its Distortion:
Type 5 - The desire to be competent (deteriorates into useless specialization).

Lost Childhood Message:
Type 5 - "Your needs are not a problem."

Pattern to be aware of:
Type 5 - Over interpreting your experience.
Where did you pull this from? I'd like to read the same summary for some of the other types.

Reactions: sleepyhead

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Where did you pull this from? I'd like to read the same summary for some of the other types.
They're all from Riso and Hudson, specifically...Wisdom of the Enneagram, in the opening sections. I edited my previous post to add the other types on. :)

I think someone posted a website I hadn't seen before a few months ago. I'm pretty sure it had all this stuff on it, but I haven't been able to locate the originally post I saw it in.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm interested in discussing the subject the thread is about, not this. I understand your skepticism but I've already been through this process in two separate threads at the enneagram institute. I am an ENFP 5w4.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I'm interested in discussing the subject the thread is about, not this. I understand your skepticism but I've already been through this process in two separate threads at the enneagram institute. I am an ENFP 5w4.
It's not that I'm skeptical, it's just that your answers haven't really told us what you don't relate to or really what you do relate to. I was hoping you could use the above to tell us if those are things that you relate to so I can understand which parts are more difficult for you. There are certainly things about the description that don't apply to me, but I've never felt like the description as a whole is insufficient. I don't think you really should be relating to every single thing in the descriptions. I see parts of the description as more typical of a 6 wing at times, and usually not having as much info about SX 5's - so in that way I see some gaps, but I still very much see myself in the whole description.

The reason I asked about your stacking is because often that can help explain why you might not feel very in tune with the type descriptions. There's some pretty big differences between a Social 5 first and a Sexual 5 first so I was wondering if that might be part of it for you. For what it's worth, you don't sound like an SP 5, so I'm thinking some of these things may be explained better through your stacking.

It's hard to tell you how we don't relate or if we agree with you because we don't know how you don't relate. I'm just trying to get a better picture of what it is you don't relate to in the descriptions because you're really not giving us a lot to respond to. So far this is all you've really said about relating or not relating:

-no fear of world or boundary issues (more of an SP instinct issue usually)
-no hoarding of time (Again, I would say this is an SP 5 trait)
-your core fear closely matches 5 but you still don't relate to all of it (You really didn't expand on this at all, so again, I don't really understand how you relate and how you don't - it's hard to answer a thread when you're not sure what someone is asking.)

If you hang out in the 5 sub-forum and look through a lot of the past threads you'll see there's a lot of different flavours of 5 who are made up of different MBTI types, instinctual variants, wings, tritypes, etc. I guess because I already see so many different types of 5's and how they do relate to the description, I'm still confused from your answers about what you don't relate to. I also tried to give you some examples of how I have not related but you haven't really given me any indication if that's what you were looking for.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
@Kozy,

we aren't really off-topic. We're trying to create discussion on what you do and don't relate to so that we can understand your OP.

You've been very vague. I have no idea where you're coming from, all I know is that you don't feel like you fit ENFP or 5 individually. BUt you have been extremely unwilling to expand on that thought.

And now you're just being rude. :(

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@ Sleepyhead, I already said I don't want to discuss this as it is draining for me. Please stop jacking off all over me and my thread.

@Khys You aren't generally off-topic, however it is rude and disrespectful to continue to berate me when I said I don't want to discuss this anymore as I already have at length with people who know far more about the enneagram than anyone here. I consider this "jacking off" on someone. I don't like being jacked off on, don't jack off on me.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
??

Nobody was berating you. Perhaps you are being a little sensitive about this. I still don't know how we can discuss the OP if you won't discuss how you do and don't fit the Type 5 description.

But I think my time in this thread is done. I'll leave it to you and someone else who won't "jack off" your thread

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
@ Sleepyhead, I already said I don't want to discuss this as it is draining for me. Please stop jacking off all over me and my thread.
Clearly I don't understand what it is your asking then because I thought I answered a few different parts of your OP - even telling you what parts I haven't related to myself. I've seen your posts on the Enneagram Institute (I assume you're the same Kozy) and they don't really makes any of this any clearer for me. Sounds like it could have been an interesting discussion but I'll bow out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts