Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year when I turned to the MBTI for validation I spent months masquerading as an INTx type. I resonated with many of the type descriptions, but I still couldn't shake off the feeling that I wasn't an INTx type even though I wanted to be validated as one so bad. I chose to ignore the feeling, and that was my problem. For my entire life I haven't been able to truly "connect" with my feelings. I've always looked at them as fickle, and tried to suppress them my whole life, in hopes that I won't feel insecure. I wasn't getting the validation I so needed and desired, so I kept tackling the personality tests because I just wanted a answer already....for everything...

After MORE self-evaluation, I finally came to the conclusion that I was an INFP. Who was I kidding? I have NEVER used logic or liked it, I was only hurting my self by pretending that I was an INTx type. Researching the INFP type has just been a huge "whew, that was close" moment for me. It felt weird to relate to so many people through their life experiences as an INFP. I have never been content with who I was before.

While I have managed to receive validation from INFP's online, I'm 100% certain that a GOOD portion of the "INFPs" (half or more?) on the internet are fake. It's very easy to spot. This give's me an uneasy feeling whenever I come across a fake INFP (which happens alot), because I realize that they are only hurting their selves by suppressing the truth they so badly desire by masquerading as an INFP. Just like I did pretending I was an INTx.

I don't really blame them though, the stereotypes of "polarizing awkward lone wolf" that you often see is an easy and safe cop-out :tongue:

So here's my question:

Does anyone else compare their selves to these fake INFPs and think that they too may be a fake INFP, even when subconsciously you know for sure you're an INFP and there's absolutely no chance at all you can't not be one? At the end of the day I think I'm beating my self up over it for no reason, it's like I can't allow my self to be "safe" with being an INFP, but then I look back at all of the fake INFP's (you guys should really get that sorted out :unsure:) and BAM! comes the self doubt.

I think the 7 months or so of thinking that I was an INTx type fucked me over, because now I'm not comfortable in my own skin.....

Even when I'm comfortable in my own skin :laughing:

·
Registered
218 Posts
I guess part of this is the question, "Why are you using the MBTI?"

I think that, while there are no objectively right or wrong answers to the question, some approaches are less healthy than others - after all, whilst MBTI is an incredibly useful model, it is still just a model and it is not without flaws. Part of the problem is that once you've done the test and done a bit of research on the whole thing, you can become attached to a certain type. Once you understand where the questions take you, if you do a retest for confirmation your results are inevitably going to be skewed one way or another. I've seen people on here who look to the MBTI for an identity and the resulting 4 letter type becomes that - it's understandable, wanting to cling to something concrete (such as four letters) when you feel lost. There is the danger of people starting to tend towards their type stereotypes, rather than looking within themselves for identity and I think that's where it can become unhealthy, especially when doubt starts to creep in.

Personally, I'm 95 % sure I'm an INFP. There is a small possibility I could be an INFJ or an ENFP, and from time to time, I will review it in case I can gain better understanding of the different functions and try to nail down exactly how my mind works in different situations. If I do start to believe that I'm more of one of those two types, then so be it. I like the idea of being an INFP, but finding out that I'm something else doesn't mean that I'm not still me. I love being able to come on here and talk with like-minded people, and it's not that finding out that you weren't who you thought you were willl change everything, y'know?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts