Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that it's based on "what you draw your energy from," but honestly I can't even tell. Sometimes I feel very energized from my interactions with others/being around people and sometimes I feel drained. It doesn't help that I can relate to descriptions of INTJ and ENTJ (although I relate to the ENTJ function stack more).

Anyone else dealing with this confusion? Are there any different ways to try and differentiate the two further?

·
Banned
465 Posts
Was for a long time. Still question it often. If you relate to the ENTJ function stack more, that's probably the one, although not necessarily. I would try taking cognitive functions tests. Then I would try to get an in-depth understanding of each function, and really read lots of descriptions, try to interact with or read from people of the type you think you are. Just try to get a feel for which one sounds more like you. Personally I was always more conflicted between ENTP and INTJ than ENTP and INTP or ENTJ and INTJ, because the function stack goes N-T-F-S for both. It's separating the introverted functions from the extraverted functions that is the tricky part.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was for a long time. Still question it often. If you relate to the ENTJ function stack more, that's probably the one, although not necessarily. I would try taking cognitive functions tests. Then I would try to get an in-depth understanding of each function, and really read lots of descriptions, try to interact with or read from people of the type you think you are. Just try to get a feel for which one sounds more like you. Personally I was always more conflicted between ENTP and INTJ than ENTP and INTP or ENTJ and INTJ, because the function stack goes N-T-F-S for both. It's separating the introverted functions from the extraverted functions that is the tricky part.
Yeah, I can't really relate to ENTP or INTP functions, myself. I get the INTJ functions pretty well, but extroverted thinking is definitely me. I started entertaining the idea that I could be both ENTJ and INTJ and one or the other could take over in different situations, but I guess that's not a real thing, lol.

I do wonder if my feeling drained at times around people comes more from them not being engaged in my interests, or having to have too much small talk.

I've been reading everything I can get my hands on about both types though and I just can't squash the doubt. This may be something I deliberate for awhile.

·
Registered
16,307 Posts
You could just be an I with a lot of energy.

Reactions: Champagne Wishes

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
E and I are fairly easy to confuse at times, as it is more a matter of "how often" you prefer your extroverted function over your introverted one. (For example, INTJs and ENTJs have Te and Ni; the ENTJ will "prefer" Te over Ni usually.)

It's quite possible you are simply an xNTJ, and you generally prefer them equally. It's also accurate to say that people don't just "prefer" functions over each other, and that science really can't explain the actual process in which we think :p

·
Banned
465 Posts
Yeah, I can't really relate to ENTP or INTP functions, myself. I get the INTJ functions pretty well, but extroverted thinking is definitely me. I started entertaining the idea that I could be both ENTJ and INTJ and one or the other could take over in different situations, but I guess that's not a real thing, lol.

I do wonder if my feeling drained at times around people comes more from them not being engaged in my interests, or having to have too much small talk.

I've been reading everything I can get my hands on about both types though and I just can't squash the doubt. This may be something I deliberate for awhile.
Well, as I'm sure you know, the stereotype is that the INTJ is more cold and often prefers operating behind-the-scenes, while the ENTJ is more assertive and is more likely to be the outspoken leader. Which one do you think applies to you more? Though I will say that "feeling drained around people from not being engaged in my interests" is something pretty much all NTs of any type can relate to. Let's be honest here; we're greatly outnumbered by people who only want to talk about the most superficial, trivial bullshit. A lot less people who want to discuss big ideas.

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,502 Posts
Yep, the I/E confusion has been part of my world for a long time. Am I an esfp or an isfp? I do get my energy from other people but not from hordes of noisy people. On the other hand, I don't get much energy from being alone and sitting there and thinking all of those nice internal thoughts that make introverts feel warm and creative.
My Se and Fi are pretty well identical.
Maybe some of us are just untypable, which is just as well because I don't like being stuck in boxes.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I used to be unsure, and my answers on all the tests I took were biased because I believed I was an INFP, even if I didn't feel like an INFP. After looking up functions and symptoms of social anxiety, I decided that I'm just an ENFP with social anxiety (and it really sucks being an extrovert with SA).

·
Registered
374 Posts
I’m very certain that I’m an introvert (often deemed as quiet and often am tired after being around others for too long), but I know my ESFP boyfriend was a bit unsure when I introduced him to MBTI stuff. Because he can actually be the quiet one in the group, which I've noticed. But he may as well be just an extrovert who tires easily, too. I know two people who have been tested as ambiverts. That might be the extreme answer.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
kb82 said:

It's not just people, but also just in general, objective reality (that which you receive externally rather than generate internally) which is preferred by extroverts. ENTJ's are probably not the extroverts you'd expect to be exceptionally people-oriented anyway. It might be more likely of an E-FJ but even with those, I can think of exceptions.

If you are an extrovert, I'd say there's no question about your cognitive preferences -- you do not have to be an INTJ in order to Ni tremendously much. If you are more cognitively active than some introverted NTJ, you'll quite possibly seem like you Ni more too.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, as I'm sure you know, the stereotype is that the INTJ is more cold and often prefers operating behind-the-scenes, while the ENTJ is more assertive and is more likely to be the outspoken leader. Which one do you think applies to you more? Though I will say that "feeling drained around people from not being engaged in my interests" is something pretty much all NTs of any type can relate to. Let's be honest here; we're greatly outnumbered by people who only want to talk about the most superficial, trivial bullshit. A lot less people who want to discuss big ideas.
I've been the leader of most endeavors since childhood. If I have an idea, I am usually chomping at the bit to put it into action, and it's usually before I have my plan finalized that I begin to act. However, I don't mind letting others lead, I can stand in the background if need be (but that IS usually only when I don't care about the project/endeavor).

And about what most people like to talk about, YES! Most of the time I'm nodding my head and thinking, "Why on earth is this important?" It is especially difficult for an NT female. I know absolutely no NT females in my life. All but one are feeling types too. I've got to see where I can find some intuitive thinking female friends so I have someone to have an interesting conversation with instead of always talking about everyone's relationships.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
INTJs and ENTJs are actually pretty distinctive.

normally i would be explaining how the functions work, but in this case the two are behaviorally distinctive.

both very directed in their own life- but ENTJs assert their directiveness over other people whenever necessary, particularly in situations like jobs, INTJs really don't do this much, and are one of the most introverted types. INTJs often just seem like they don't care about people all that much, or at all, although they come across that way far more than they actually are that way.

·
Banned
465 Posts
I've been the leader of most endeavors since childhood. If I have an idea, I am usually chomping at the bit to put it into action, and it's usually before I have my plan finalized that I begin to act. However, I don't mind letting others lead, I can stand in the background if need be (but that IS usually only when I don't care about the project/endeavor).

And about what most people like to talk about, YES! Most of the time I'm nodding my head and thinking, "Why on earth is this important?" It is especially difficult for an NT female. I know absolutely no NT females in my life. All but one are feeling types too. I've got to see where I can find some intuitive thinking female friends so I have someone to have an interesting conversation with instead of always talking about everyone's relationships.
Haha, yeah unfortunately you're even more outnumbered on that front than I am. It sucks that females have this reputation of being hardcore ESFJs who are super-sensitive, irrational and only talk about what they're wearing and shoes and makeup and nothing else. I have met far too many cases who support this stereotype. Yet there are plenty of women out there who actually think and aren't as concerned with that kind of shit. They attract guys like me immediately, but they tend to be ostracized as weird by their more numerous SF peers. Guess there's always pros and cons to everything.

As for your type, you do sound a bit like one of those borderline cases. The big thing is when you say you can stand in the background if need be, but only if you don't really care. It tends to be the other way around for INTJs - they will only step in if they see it as a necessity and will stand in the background as long as things aren't going too bad.

·
Banned
465 Posts
INTJs and ENTJs are actually pretty distinctive.

normally i would be explaining how the functions work, but in this case the two are behaviorally distinctive.

both very directed in their own life- but ENTJs assert their directiveness over other people whenever necessary, particularly in situations like jobs, INTJs really don't do this much, and are one of the most introverted types. INTJs often just seem like they don't care about people all that much, or at all, although they come across that way far more than they actually are that way.
I think Roger Waters, an INTJ, put that best: "If you want to find out what's behind these cold eyes, you just have to claw your way through this disguise." An INTJ tends to come across as very cold and standoffish, but because of their tertiary Fi actually tends to have a very strong world of inner emotion and actually does care about people/things. It just rarely surfaces, and you have to get to know them deeply to see it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Tridentus @Debaser that info is actually pretty eye opening. I know I don't ever come off as warm but I'm certain I'm not particularly cold and I am pretty outgoing/ like being around others most of the time. If they are the most introverted of the types then I would have to claim ENTJ after all is said and done.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts