Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so, what's that like? I feel like I can relate to almost all of them and I have no clue which I am. While I think MBTI (with the addition of cognitive functions) gets at a lot of aspects of personality, I'm wondering if it's even valid. So, if you'd be so kind as to give me some outside perspective to work with, I have a few questions.

Do you doubt your type at all? Does your type mean anything to you? Do you really see yourself reflected in your type? What about other types? Are there aspects of your identity/personality that you don't see in your type? Are you familiar with cognitive functions? If so, what do you think about them as it pertains to how you judge/perceive? Do you think the judge/perceive paradigm is valid? Why are you even interested in personality? Is it academic? Is it part of a search for identity? Something else?

Please feel free to answer all or some of the questions. Don't worry about writing a lot because I will read it. I'm very interested. The main thing is: do you really identify with your MBTI type and are you familiar with the cognitive functions?

·
Banned
421 Posts
That is a lot of questions. I’m just going to write a couple of things, feel free to ask anything.

Finding my type was painful but I feel at home with it now. I know about cognitive functions but don’t believe in the MBTI ones, there is no way someone as opinioted as me has a dominant perceiving function and I care more about logical coherence than I do about “facts” that can be disproven any minute (so I’m more Ti than Te). Also MBTI descriptions are very generalized and biased so I dislike them. So I prefer Socionics much more.

I guess it started as a way to have fun and evolved into an obsessive search for identity. During this process I learned that how I think I am (self-typed as INFP at first) is extremely different than how people perceive me to be (ISTJ). It helped me see my weaknesses and strong parts. I’ve been neither good at nor interested in introspection up until now; maybe that is still true considering how I continue to look for answers in typology. I believe I’ve properly met myself just 3 months ago.

You can look at my post here if you care for reading long-winded self-typing stories:
https://www.personalitycafe.com/myers-briggs-forum/1327673-great-qualities-infps-posseses-2.html

·
Registered
779 Posts
If so, what's that like? I feel like I can relate to almost all of them and I have no clue which I am. While I think MBTI (with the addition of cognitive functions) gets at a lot of aspects of personality, I'm wondering if it's even valid. So, if you'd be so kind as to give me some outside perspective to work with, I have a few questions.
I'm comfortable with my type, yes. I started looking into MBTI more because it felt incredibly accurate for me so I was interested in what else it had to say.

Do you doubt your type at all?
I would say not. But I'd also say I find the more official MBTI sources more accurate, and a lot of the online descriptors include people's personal bias that I don't always feel fits. It's interesting however to use the information from a perspective of how others might view you negatively. The official sources are more objectively presented and less about telling you what you want to hear, or what the writer wants to bitch about.

I've had people occasionally suggest other (similar) types, which I find odd in itself, but interesting at the same time.

Does your type mean anything to you? Do you really see yourself reflected in your type?
I'm not sure 'type' itself counts for anything. It's like any other classification criteria. It fits and it is I suppose. It doesn't define every single aspect of personality, but it gives a well-structured overview of my motivations and reasons for what I do. It's a simplification rather than a specific description of 'me'. The words used to describe ISTJs generally are consistent with the words other people would use to describe me, but it doesn't tell the whole story of the experiences that made me who I am. It's a reflection of sorts. It's not intended to explain every last element of your identity.

What about other types?
They don't fit in the same way. There are some elements of other types that are relatable. Generally these can be attributed to pairs of letters. So TJ descriptions fit me well, so I can see elements of me in ESTJ, INTJ and ENTJ descriptions. The same would apply to ST or IJ or IS types of varying degrees. But in each case the other types have too many elements that are just not me.

Are there aspects of your identity/personality that you don't see in your type?
I think I answered this above. It's an overview, not your entire identity. It's a cluster of dominant traits. It does not mean you can't have traits outside the type, but generally you'd find the type on the whole relatable. I look at it like this. Someone asks you to describe yourself in, say 3 words. Do those 3 words tell someone your entire identity? People are more than just 3 words, just like they're more than an MBTI type. I'd expect those three words to populate your MBTI type descriptions though.

Are you familiar with cognitive functions?
I would say so, but I think people put too much stock into typing themselves using cognitive functions and I don't think that's an accurate way to determine your MBTI type as it seems to create more confusion. The dichotomies and dichotomy pairs work better with the system.

If so, what do you think about them as it pertains to how you judge/perceive? Do you think the judge/perceive paradigm is valid?
I'm an outlier here I think in that I think the J/P dichotomy works well. The idea of that separation from the inner and outer worlds is something that definitely applies to me and is something I always felt aware of.

Why are you even interested in personality? Is it academic? Is it part of a search for identity? Something else?
There's a few reasons for me. On the one hand, I find it fascinating that, as human beings, we are all provided with the same physical tools (a brain in this case), but we use these so differently from person to person. I've always liked the nature/nurture question in much the same way.

At the same time, I've found myself turning towards personality when I've felt low or misunderstood, as a mechanism to explain things further, or to understand better why things are the way the are, in an effort to make things better and move forwards.

I also enjoy exploring differences in perception - like how people view you, and the disjoint between that and how you view yourself, for example. I find that interesting too.

·
Registered
Delta ST, ISTJ, 1w9, 164
2,087 Posts

Do you doubt your type at all? Does your type mean anything to you? Do you really see yourself reflected in your type? What about other types? Are there aspects of your identity/personality that you don't see in your type? Are you familiar with cognitive functions? If so, what do you think about them as it pertains to how you judge/perceive? Do you think the judge/perceive paradigm is valid? Why are you even interested in personality? Is it academic? Is it part of a search for identity? Something else?

Please feel free to answer all or some of the questions. Don't worry about writing a lot because I will read it. I'm very interested. The main thing is: do you really identify with your MBTI type and are you familiar with the cognitive functions?
I do not identify with a type to the degree that it reflects the whole of personality. Personality is more complex than that and type is just a rough sketch or a combinations of patterns of people's inner workings. It's really only possible to relate to it as to any other logical system that seeks to categorize something. It includes a limited number of traits that are deemed meaningful for its purposes, which are then logically combined to make sets of types, and people are too chaotic to neatly fit any logical system.
A type does describe some general patterns but it doesn't describe the amalgamation of who I am, so ofc there are a multitude of aspects that I have but which are not reflected in my type.
I'm familiar with jungian cognitive functions and the way he describes judging and perception in the context of thinking, feeling, intuition, and sensing makes sense, but if you mean judging/perceiving dichotomy by Myers Briggs then she went to make it more of a separate thing that describes how flexible or planned you are and so on, which is not exactly the same thing Jung described, so imo they should not be treated as one and the same thing.
I'm interested because I want to understand myself better and where I stand in this regard in comparison to others, and it proved to be quite beneficial so far as it made me introspect more and be more aware of what makes people tick. The latter is more true for enneagram though since it deals with motivations, so it's more interesting to dig it in that sense.

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts

No. I think most people I know IRL don't think I'm an ESTJ because of the reputation it carries, but I'm not bothered by their perspective.

When I first started getting into typology I vacillated between ESTP and ENTP but then was directed to ESTJ and have been that for several years now. I chalk up the other suggestions to the fact that I have a pretty active Ne function.

Does your type mean anything to you?

All it means to me is I prioritize/notice different things in my environment before others. It does help me get a loose grasp of how others differ when in conversation...and use that to facilitate better conversations based on what others prioritize/notice.

Do you really see yourself reflected in your type? What about other types?

I don't really think about it. On a functions level it applies, beyond that the character descriptions can be pretty off for me.

I haven't looked at other types in a long time to see if I share any general personality traits. It doesn't really matter to me since I know the underlying functions fit. The nice thing about functions is that they help outline patterns but they don't limit you in terms of how you can react/behave. So me not acting like a "typical ESTJ" doesn't mean I'm not one. It just means reality doesn't fit into a 100% perfect typology system. If that makes sense.

Are there aspects of your identity/personality that you don't see in your type?

I'm far more creative than typical ESTJs are portrayed to be. But I don't see that as meaning I'm less ESTJ. More like the ESTJ type is broader than people expect.

Are you familiar with cognitive functions? If so, what do you think about them as it pertains to how you judge/perceive?

They're pretty accurate for me if I recall, but honestly it's been a long time since I last looked.

Do you think the judge/perceive paradigm is valid? Why are you even interested in personality? Is it academic? Is it part of a search for identity? Something else?

I got into it because I was having major issues with a friend many years ago. It helped me be able to better understand the other perspectives people had and take conflicts of personality less personally.

There was a short time where it did...somewhat...help with my search for identity. But I think when you try to go searching through personality tests to try and really ID who you are you often end up more confused than before. Because you don't have a good baseline against which to compare you results. If you don't know who you are and then you read a description, how do you know if it isn't or is you? You don't have enough self to contrast it with.

I use MBTI passively now to just improve conversations and find topics people like to discuss. That's about all it is for me at this point.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I don't doubt my type at all, but I'm certainly not comfortable with it. I'm not exactly the nurturing mom friend stereotype that ISFJ descriptions paint us as. I fit both the dichotomies and the cognitive functions of ISFJ perfectly, just not any type descriptions. I don't like how SJs are viewed by many people in the general typology community, like we're just bland normies/drones/sheeple with no real personalities or depth. I try not to, but I care what other people think of me, and I don't like being judged based off a set of assumptions. I don't want people to assume that they actually know anything about me because of my type. MBTI has made me pretty angsty the last couple of years because of this. I still talk about it online occasionally, but I avoid talking about it IRL like the plague. And when I do come online to talk about it, I usually just end up getting butthurt about something stereotypical someone says about ISFJs/SJs. Lol.

Also, I don't like the J/P dichotomy. It doesn't work for introverts. And I don't know who decided it was about "messiness" versus "orderliness" but I think that's a horrible way to frame it, which is what most of the basic tests do, and most people who get into MBTI never look into it beyond the surface level (otherwise there'd be a lot more people on PerC, and a lot less people on twitter with "INFP!! <3 I'm so sensitive and deep teehee" in their bio).

So, well... no, I don't really see my type, or any other type, reflected in me, because I find typology too limiting and frankly I got over it a long time ago. I mostly just stick around because of some sort of masochistic habits, and the impulse to "correct" people who talk shit about SJs.

MBTI is like astrology. It's vague enough that any healthy person will be able to see bits of themselves in every description, and lacks anything truly satisfactory. It only becomes useful when you fill in the blanks yourself and create your own version of it. But at that point it's really just general self-reflection with a fancy hat on for flair.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I feel like I can relate to almost all of them and I have no clue which I am. While I think MBTI (with the addition of cognitive functions) gets at a lot of aspects of personality, I'm wondering if it's even valid.
Me too.
Ever since my results were all over the place.
Does your type mean anything to you?
I'd like to laugh at the memes, too. That, and actually use this MBTI thing as a tool for self-improvement.
Do you really see yourself reflected in your type?
I considered many types but most of them gave me a cringe feeling of "this can't be me, can it?"
What about other types? Are there aspects of your identity/personality that you don't see in your type?
I figured out some functions I use, but when it comes to behaviors/interests/stereotypes, no one single type fits me to a decent enough percentage to be able to call myself this or that.
Are you familiar with cognitive functions? If so, what do you think about them as it pertains to how you judge/perceive? Do you think the judge/perceive paradigm is valid?
Some more, some less. Ne and Si are particularly confusing to me.
Everyone perceives and judges, period. In different circumstances, everyone does both. That's all I can say.
Why are you even interested in personality? Is it academic? Is it part of a search for identity? Something else?
All of the above. I wanted to study psychology but decided otherwise. So now I just read everything I can to learn more about people and why they do the things they do, and myself, too.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to vent about this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts