Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone share my personality traits here?

I usually stand out because of my clothing (often a fav color), but I don't coordinate colors often. Even wear one shoe on each foot from different pairs. I really stopped caring about contrast.

In groups, I'm often somehow working opposed (conflicting ideas, etc...) to my partners or zoned out looking peculiar.

I don't like religion, but respect everyone probably to a fault. I don't like labels such as atheist, gay or whatever.

I'm bothered when people try comparing themselves to me 'cuz they usually don't have a clue what they're insinuating. I know when someone is like me (sure we all do).

I obsess over music and it takes over everything. I feel an education (i'm in college) is necessary but I lack motivation much of the time to get serious, though sometimes I have "epiphanies" that can convince me to. Similar "epiphanies" pop up and push me to better myself in other ways, too.

I'm a loner by choice and nature. Daydream a lot about if things were perfect. And I am a perfectionist. I'm not anti-social at all (though I was) but I tend not to gravitate towards company. And I'm always on tryna find someone similar to me.

On some days my speech skills are more literate but on other days my vocabulary is baby words... Have had some identity crises in the past. Has got me in trouble and even checked into behavior health (not crazy...).

And stupid old mortifying memories keep refocusing in my head and I have to snap myself out of them by twitching or hitting myself (it's funny except for when it's not... heheh).

Yeah, it may be an out of place-ish topic, but I thought maybe other istps might get me. That and, you guessed it, I'm desperate for some understanding. Or do I not seem like an istp? Anyway, have at it. My bad if this comes off as narcissistic or annoying.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I have done the shoes thing :proud: accidentally!
I can't relate to you but I can relate to your out-of-place feeling completely. I feel that too. And your obsession with music, would be like my obsession with writing. :happy:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

I usually stand out because of my clothing (often a fav color), but I don't coordinate colors often. Even wear one shoe on each foot from different pairs. I really stopped caring about contrast.

In groups, I'm often somehow working opposed (conflicting ideas, etc...) to my partners or zoned out looking peculiar.

I don't like religion, but respect everyone probably to a fault. I don't like labels such as atheist, gay or whatever.

I'm bothered when people try comparing themselves to me 'cuz they usually don't have a clue what they're insinuating. I know when someone is like me (sure we all do).

I obsess over music and it takes over everything. I feel an education (i'm in college) is necessary but I lack motivation much of the time to get serious, though sometimes I have "epiphanies" that can convince me to. Similar "epiphanies" pop up and push me to better myself in other ways, too.

I'm a loner by choice and nature. Daydream a lot about if things were perfect. And I am a perfectionist. I'm not anti-social at all (though I was) but I tend not to gravitate towards company. And I'm always on tryna find someone similar to me.

On some days my speech skills are more literate but on other days my vocabulary is baby words... Have had some identity crises in the past. Has got me in trouble and even checked into behavior health (not crazy...).

And stupid old mortifying memories keep refocusing in my head and I have to snap myself out of them by twitching or hitting myself (it's funny except for when it's not... heheh).

Yeah, it may be an out of place-ish topic, but I thought maybe other istps might get me. That and, you guessed it, I'm desperate for some understanding. Or do I not seem like an istp? Anyway, have at it. My bad if this comes off as narcissistic or annoying.
Relate to all of it because...well its like the istp default behavior patterns....
...and everyone is narcissistic in a way...some people more than others though...I've got some stories lol...
I personally think its rare to find another ISTP out there....we are good at hiding, some of us...myself if I feel comfortable in a place/situation...I can mask my Intervertedness.....and most of the time like you I have no motivation to go to college anymore.....to much book work not enough hands on....thinking about going to a 2 year instead of a 4 year...sure I'll get like a 5000$ a year redux in pay but bah...

Reactions: Le9acyMuse

·
Registered
851 Posts

I relate to most of what you posted. I am "religious", although I individualize it. I don't like the term, "religious" personally, it's a label and I'm not fond of em'. Also, I'm not too concerned with "trends" when it comes to what I wear, but I do have preferences. I wear what I think looks good and provides freedom of movement. I coordinate according to my own itinerary.

Aside from that, I follow ya'. (Although, I can't say I've slapped myself, but on few occasions, haha)

P.S. The loner portion is me, more-so when I'm trying to accomplish something. I NEED my time alone daily, but if I'm not doing anything in particular, I find it to be somewhat fun to include one or two other people(depending on the people and what the activity is).

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
I'm very similar to you, minus the shoes thing... that's just wrong.

I'm not anti-social either. At times I wish I were an extrovert so I wouldn't get tired of hanging out with my friends, but it happens, and then I just need some down time.

I often worry too much about what people think, as you put it, "to a fault." ISTP's are easy to manipulate, mostly at younger ages, because we have weak Fe. Basically what that means we have little control over our desire for social harmony. This means we avoid conflict because it exhausts us, we avoid drama so we're blunt and to the point, etc. We simply don't have the energy to understand peoples' emotional poppycock.

As far as your vocabulary, I'm right up there with ya. Some days I'm clever, articulate, suave etc. Other days I'm awkward, stutter over my words, can't complete sentences. From my experience, I've found that meditation cures this. I'm not talking sitting Indian style saying ohmmmmm... just going somewhere quiet, sitting down and letting my thoughts run wild. I can feel my energy increase, I feel happier... its the weirdest thing, give it a shot see if it helps.

Teachers get really mad at me because I never pay attention in class, because my thoughts overpower my focus. The teacher will be going over thermodynamics, then boom, next thing I realize I'm thinking about what its like to strap a jet engine onto a skate board. And once I come to reality and ask questions like "what are we doing" people get mad at me for not listening.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, all of you. It's easy to get lost in everyone's flow of things and think there aren't people like you out there. Your responses brought me some confidence.

Dizzygirl, wow... by accident? lol That's so cool. If I'd been around, I'd've bugged you all day about it. lol Ah, writing is awesome. And time-consuming when you get stuck.

ThoughtProcess, in that case I'm so glad to be one and among others here.

Galldune...must...high five you... agh, college bums me out like farmers and floods. Best of luck on deciding. It's not a bad idea. Nice signature

XReborn7. Dang, your percentages are practically premium istp. I get you on the label bit and the individualizing. I just call it religion to be politically correct, but I agree it's a vague misnomer for any practicer.

DJArendee, hey, it happens to be quite stylin' on opposite day. In my mind. Thanks for the type info. No wonder I've found many infjs difficult to keep equanimity with. What is with that mental vocab loss?? man... If you insist on meditation, I say I'll give it a whirl. And yep, school is the best place to get caught off guard. Zoning out is the best though, ain't it

·
Registered
851 Posts
As far as your vocabulary, I'm right up there with ya. Some days I'm clever, articulate, suave etc. Other days I'm awkward, stutter over my words, can't complete sentences.

Teachers get really mad at me because I never pay attention in class, because my thoughts overpower my focus. The teacher will be going over thermodynamics, then boom, next thing I realize I'm thinking about what its like to strap a jet engine onto a skate board. And once I come to reality and ask questions like "what are we doing" people get mad at me for not listening.
And I was beginning to think I had a problem regarding both issues. When it comes to talking, one day I can smooth talk anyone and have all the right things to say, while the next I stutter and stumble during every sentence, forgetting words and labels for certain things(although I know good and well what I'm trying to relay).

As far as not paying attention in class goes, I was the worst. It got so bad teachers had requested I be tested for ADD(which I was tested for and it turned out I don't have ADD). My experiences were very similar to yours DJ. I'd be with it, until the teacher brought up the subject and provided a page to turn to. The second I got to the page requested and the teacher began a lecture, I'd be off thinking about some crazy move I'd pull off during P.E. or how I couldn't wait to get home and break some necks in Splinter Cell.

P.S. I'll have to give meditation a shot. Maybe turn up some music and just zone out for awhile, it sounds like an awesome time.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I guess I'm the outlier because when reading your post you reminded me of my brother who is an INFP. I understand but don't relate to most of what you said. You also are probably pretty young compared to myself and that could be reason alone for all that. :wink:

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
*Bored in her own intp forest, a wild intp appears~*

I dress very plainly and like clothing that fits well and has good pockets.

I tend to counter whomever I'm engaging with, or yes, zoned out and not contributing.

I don't mind the religious beliefs of others until I see that its influence is making them try to force some view onto me.

In my eyes, it makes them appear weak, as they are trying to sort of meld with me. It makes me pull back.

I feel an education (i'm in college) is necessary but I lack motivation much of the time to get serious, though sometimes I have "epiphanies" that can convince me to. Similar "epiphanies" pop up and push me to better myself in other ways, too.
College was a struggle for me. I didn't want to be there, sitting in class one little bit, and I lacked focus.

I'm a loner to a fault, and so much so that it annoys anyone who wants to get close. Daydreaming constantly.

There are some days where I feel really eloquent, and other days where I don't feel like I can string together a coherent sentence at all. Whats up with that anyway? I usually blame brain fog on lack of sleep/too much sleep/blood sugar.. who knows.

I tend to take those old mortifying things in stride - hey, at least everyone had a laugh. And, I can't change the past.

Who knows. I identify with a lot of it and I'm certainly an nt. Anyway, it cured my boredom for a few minutes and it was more interesting than one of those chain surveys. :laughing:

Reactions: Le9acyMuse

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
I tend to counter whomever I'm engaging with, or yes, zoned out and not contributing.
When the entire whoever/whomever clause is the subject of the verb that follows the clause, look inside the clause to determine whether to use whoever or whomever.

Examples:
Whoever is elected will serve a four-year term.
Whoever is elected is the subject of will serve.
Whoever is the subject of is.

Whomever you elect will serve a four-year term.
Whomever you elect is the subject of will serve.
Whomever is the object of you elect.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
No, whomever is correct in her sentence. It's technically part of the prepositional phrase, but it just sounds weird saying "with whomever I'm engaging".

Reactions: Seralya

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I'm still having trouble with him and I or me and him! But I did get it's and its, down pat.
I think it's "with him and me/me and him". "Me" should always follow a preposition.

Reactions: AEIOU

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
I think it's "with him and me/me and him". "Me" should always follow a preposition.
I learned this simple rule of thumb. Just recreate the sentence in your mind without the other person (he/she/him/her) and say the same sentence with just either "I" or "me." Whichever one sounds better is the one to use. Like, I was going to the store, or me was going to the store. Of course it depends on the sentence, but the rule seems to work.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts