Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think about that for a second. Mull it over. Take your time. Say no to Neumann.
Does the quality of ignorance deserve the negative connotation?

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
A squirrel is ignorant of the development of metaphysics, but we do not cast labels upon it. If its out of one's depths, being ignorant of some information is fine. But if it is within one's reach, being ignorant is less likely to be acceptable. Like pie for example. Yes, there is probably a pie in my neighborhood somewhere outside of my reach, thus it is okay for me to be ignorant of wanting delicious pie. But if there is a pie in my house right now, it is ignorant of me not to want its deliciousness. Now off to look for pies byeee

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
There's nothing wrong with being ignorant, so long as you're willing to learn when your ignorance is pointed out. Nobody can be expected to know everything, or even a sliver of everything, given how ridiculously broad a top "everything" is.

Where you start to go wrong with me is when you prefer to be ignorant, or seem proud of your ignorance. We should always strive to keep our sense of wonder intact, and should always be willing to adapt to accommodate new knowledge.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Ignorance can go one of two ways. A lot of times one is ignorant due to being fed false information or believing something simply because it's common or socially acceptable. Now if someone is willing to listen to an opposing argument and not completely shut it out simply because they don't agree, than I would not consider that person ignorant. However, if someone will not listen to your points because society deems it as radical or incorrect, than yes I would say that person is ignorant. Some people can't help it, or were raised to believe certain ideas. If someone comes along and challenges these ideas, I guess I can understand being slightly indifferent at first.

I suppose that's why they say ignorance is bliss, because honestly it's everyone else who is affected by it and slowly loses faith in humanity.

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
Sometimes I wish I could be ignorant in life just so I don't have to deal with harsh realities and so I am not haunted by cynicism and pessimism whenever anything good ever happens in my life.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
A squirrel is ignorant of the development of metaphysics, but we do not cast labels upon it. If its out of one's depths, being ignorant of some information is fine. But if it is within one's reach, being ignorant is less likely to be acceptable. Like pie for example. Yes, there is probably a pie in my neighborhood somewhere outside of my reach, thus it is okay for me to be ignorant of wanting delicious pie. But if there is a pie in my house right now, it is ignorant of me not to want its deliciousness. Now off to look for pies byeee
But what if it's pumpkin pie? I hate that stuff. I am comfortable remaining ignorant about rocket science and pumpkin pie.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
I would say that willful ignorance is to be frowned upon, where-as uncontrollable ignorance, while annoying, is acceptable.
Agreed. l don't think some people quite grasp how annoying it is, rather they see themselves as being principled or some such utter bullshit.

Say, do you really treasure my friendship? l feel your signature isn't being completely truthful with me:cool:

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
Agreed. l don't think some people quite grasp how annoying it is, rather they see themselves as being stoic or some such utter bullshit.

Say, do you really treasure my friendship? l feel your signature isn't being completely truthful with me:cool:
I believe EVERYONE has something they choose to remain ignorant about. Something we don't seek to understand better. We're all guilty of it sometimes.

Reactions: LadyO.W.BernieBro

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Why being ignorant is (sometimes) better than actual knowledge.

When you look at the wiki of 'ignorant' there a few things.

Ignorance is a state of being uninformed (lack of knowledge).
"Ignorance is not just a blank space on a person's mental map. It has contours and coherence, and for all I know rules of operation as well. So as a corollary to [the advice of] writing about what we know, maybe we should add getting familiar with our ignorance, and the possibilities therein for writing a good story."
Some people have a tendency of cherishing their knowledge to such a level it is infallible by reason. If that knowledge lacks, it is dangerous / counter-productive. The people who can adapt their thinking and ideas prevail.

That's why I think you can't just say ignorance is bad or good. It's a grey space with a strong dividing line.

·
Registered
607 Posts
It depends on whether of not there are consequences. If there are no consequences, I don't think it is a big deal to remain ignorant. It could save people from dealing with unneeded anxiety. That being said, ignorance can do a lot of harm. Having knowledge can save people from a lot of unnecessary grief. There are also people out there that take advantage of the ignorant. people can lose a lot of power as a result.

·
Registered
BEAR
1,730 Posts
The answer strongly depends on what exactly someone is being ignorant about.
There are some things we really don't need to know, and it's probably better if we don't. I don't mind the fact I'm completely oblivious to celebrity news, the details of my conception, and everything that a particular three toed sloth did in the past thirty minutes and I am perfectly okay with that.
Then there are the things that we don't know and should. For instance, the lady who stuck her poodle in the microwave to dry the dog's fur (urban legend? hopefully). Then there was this guy on the local news the other day who thought it was a good idea to release his pet alligator into the local pond (keeping in mind this is in Vermont).

Ignorance of common sense is bad. Ignorance of peculiarities that don't affect your life aren't.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Unfortunately, my signature wasn't completely truthful with you, because we don't have a friendship, yet. But if we did have a friendship, I am sure that my signature would then be seen as a prophetic statement of our friendship.

At the very least, I enjoy your posts, that's a good enough start.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Ignorance is defined by the lack of knowledge and information. I'm ignorant about most things and even ignorant about the things I think I know, and the things I don't know I don't know, but I am in the constant process of trying to understand. And sometimes I can gain a tiny glimmer of knowledge in the vast sea of uncertainty. My thoughts coincide with Socrates in that all I know is that I do not know, except I'm not as great of a gadfly as he was. I feel a lot of uncertainty and ignorance within myself, so I always feel I can learn something from anybody, if I am open enough.

Interestingly, there's a cognitive bias called the dunning-kruger effect, where the people who believe they have a great knowledge or ability are usually the ones who are incompetent or ignorant. They basically overestimate themselves to an incredible degree and have illusory superiority. It reminds me of what Bertrand Russel once said: "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." It would be nice to think I'm the latter but maybe I'm just left with the doubt and indecision.

And then there's willful ignorance. It's alright to be ignorant. We all are about something. But some people ignore facts that conflict with their world-views, only listen to the perspectives that they agree with, and shun any views that contradict with their reality. It's part of the confirmation bias, which we all have to some degree, but we can still work against our biases by shaping how we think, even though we may have a lot of cognitive dissonance. There's still hope for us!

Reactions: Echoe
1 - 20 of 20 Posts