Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After spending a considerable amount of time immersed in the whole MBTI thing I just can't help to notice the hordes of people on various forums claiming to be INTJ. It's somewhat stunning.

I understand that it would make perfect sense for an INTJ to be more likely to research MBTI than your average ESFJ (And thus it might make sense why such a low percentage of the population would be vocal on such sites), but even so I can't help to be somewhat skeptical.

It appears to me that being INTJ became trendy.
There seems to be an ever-increasing influx of cool INTJ characters (especially in anime) and I suppose it would make some sense if people mimicked the behavior of their favorite anti-heroes/heroes.
A lot of people seem to have this cardboard cutout view of the INTJ personality where every INTJ is a super successful unemotional genius, silently scheming from being the scenes.

It would make sense that a lot of people would like to be that kind of person.
And thus a million greasy long haired kids wearing a slipknot shirt decided that being INTJ would instantly make them edgier and smarter than everyone else. There was much rejoicing to be done on that day as they self-typed themselves as INTJ, perpetuating INTJ stereotypes and making actual INTJs cringe at the sight of it all. Or maybe not?

I have no idea. I just wanted to see what other people think. Do any of you have that impression as well? Do you think being INTJ became trendy? If so, why do you think being INTJ became trendy? What are all the INTJ appeals?What factors are at play?

I'm curious.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Do any of you have that impression as well? Do you think being INTJ became trendy? If so, why do you think being INTJ became trendy? What are all the INTJ appeals?What factors are in play?

Yes

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I believe that the rarer personalities being portrayed more often in media and print form is because ppl don't want to watch/read characters like them, unless it's in a satirical form as in the movie Office Space. All the stereotypical sensor characters that ppl encounter in work place were exaggerated for laugh.

The book Ender's Game, the siblings are supposed to be INFJ (Ender), ENTP, and INFP.

As for the influx of NTs/NFs on line, average intuits enjoy forum discussions more in comparison to average sensors. The fact that many intuits find it hard to find quality conversation or exchanges in real life is why they congregate on line. If this makes an impression that more ppl claim to be XXTJ on line, it may just be a distorted on line presence of the type.

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
INFx is uber trendy in my circles. Heck, F is trendy in my circles. But I guess that's because I hang out with a bunch of girls :p

I think a lot of it is that people just test as INTJ, particularly when they... wrongly estimate themselves. Introverted traits seem favorable. Thinking traits seem smart. Intuitive traits seem brilliant and sophisticated. Judging traits seem responsible. I don't want to suggest that all people who mistype as INTJ are just projecting themselves as something they're not, but I think that could be the case in some circles, particularly those with younger and less self-actualized individuals.

·
Banned
2,715 Posts
Yeah, it's the reason there are so many fake INTJs on here
Nah, INTJs like projecting an idealised, heroic version of themselves; A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
1. I sincerely doubt that there exists a single person who is intentionally typing themselves as an INTJ due to some sort of trend that they perceive to exist.

2. Online tests are obviously biased toward an INTJ test result. The questions practically force to you pick certain answers due to how poorly-worded they are. And it just so happens that these answers lead to INTJ results.

3. The vast majority of people who believe themselves to be INTJs have no knowledge of Carl Jung or really anything other than a test result they received from a test they took that one time. To them, INTJ means about as much as "Sagittarius" or some other nonsense.

I agree with everything @alittlebear said.

Yeah, it's the reason there are so many fake INTJs on here
Do you have proof of this, or is this just what your heart tells you?

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
But they have psychic powers and stuff
My favourites are the people on the "guess the type" subforum who type all the famous people they like as INFJs.

·
Banned
3,980 Posts
Do you have proof of this, or is this just what your heart tells you?
How am I supposed to have proof of what people think and what they actually are? It's just that I seem a lot of "INTJ"s on here who aren't really INTJs and just use that label to make themselves feel superior

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I don't understand why the INTJ type would be perceived as trendy. Many people who type as INTJs online are cranky, bitter, sarcastic and socially awkward. I identify most with the INTJ stack and looking back at myself from several years ago, I would not want to be friends with myself. It was also a genuine challenge to learn to open up and make friends, and I lost many friends because I was so argumentative and blunt, which made life lonely and difficult. Being an INTJ has its strengths but I also think the potential drawbacks are fairly significant. I wish I were an ESFP or an ISFP. Maybe people think they understand the stack more than they actually do. But I doubt anyone would think being an INTJ is trendy.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I've been at INTJforum for almost six years and PerC for close to three years, and one of the lamest memes that regularly pops up at these forums is the notion that there are lots of fake INTJs around, because everybody wants to be a "Mastermind," bla bla bla.

In the spoiler are some membership stats and analysis for PerC and Typology Central. For each type, the first percentage is the percentage of that type at the forum, the second percentage (in parentheses) is the estimated "general population" percentage from the official MBTI folks (from this page), and the final number on the right is the self-selection ratio for that type — i.e., the ratio of the forum percentage to the general population percentage.

Below are recent membership stats for Personality Café and Typology Central. For each type, the first percentage is the percentage of that type at the forum, the second percentage (in parentheses) is the estimated "general population" percentage from the official MBTI folks (from this page), and the final number on the right is the self-selection ratio for that type — i.e., the ratio of the forum percentage to the general population percentage.

November 2014 membership stats for Personality Café:

INFJ — 9133 — 15.7% (1.5%) — ssr: 10.5
INTJ — 7307 — 12.6% (2.1%) — ssr: 6.0
INFP — 11865 — 20.4% (4.4%) — ssr: 4.6
INTP — 7825 — 13.5% (3.3%) — ssr: 4.1
ENTP — 3709 — 6.4% (3.2%) — ssr: 2.0
ENTJ — 1681 — 2.9% (1.8%) — ssr: 1.6
ENFJ — 1904 — 3.3% (2.5%) — ssr: 1.3
ENFP — 4915 — 8.5% (8.1%) — ssr: 1.0
ISTP — 1926 — 3.3% (5.4%) — ssr: 0.6
ISFP — 1986 — 3.4% (8.8%) — ssr: 0.4
ISTJ — 2094 — 3.6% (11.6%) — ssr: 0.3
ESTP — 635 — 1.1% (4.3%) — ssr: 0.3
ISFJ — 1374 — 2.4% (13.8%) — ssr: 0.2
ESFP — 620 — 1.1% (8.5%) — ssr: 0.1
ESFJ — 573 — 1.0% (12.3%) — ssr: 0.1
ESTJ — 542 — 0.9% (8.7%) — ssr: 0.1

November 2014 membership stats for Typology Central:

INFJ — 1782 — 16.1% (1.5%) — ssr: 10.7
INTJ — 1437 — 13.0% (2.1%) — ssr: 6.2
INTP — 1958 — 17.7% (3.3%) — ssr: 5.4
INFP — 2016 — 18.2% (4.4%) — ssr: 4.1
ENTP — 781 — 7.0% (3.2%) — ssr: 2.2
ENTJ — 298 — 2.7% (1.8%) — ssr: 1.5
ENFP — 1156 — 10.4% (8.1%) — ssr: 1.3
ENFJ — 321 — 2.9% (2.5%) — ssr: 1.2
ISTP — 304 — 2.7% (5.4%) — ssr: 0.5
ISFP — 256 — 2.3% (8.8%) — ssr: 0.3
ISTJ — 278 — 2.5% (11.6%) — ssr: 0.2
ESTP — 100 — 0.9% (4.3%) — ssr: 0.2
ISFJ — 181 — 1.6% (13.8%) — ssr: 0.1
ESFP — 84 — 0.8% (8.5%) — ssr: 0.1
ESTJ — 74 — 0.7% (8.7%) — ssr: 0.1
ESFJ — 65 — 0.6% (12.3%) — ssr: 0.05

Looking at the PerC stats (the larger sample): 62% of the members are INs (as compared to 11% of the general population), and 83% of the members are N's (as compared to 27% of the general population).

Every S type has a self-selection ratio of 0.6 or lower, and no N type has a self-selection ratio below 1.0. And the lowest self-selection ratio for the IN types is 13 times higher than the highest self-selection ratio for the ES types.

The stats suggest than an average MBTI IN is something like 40 times more likely than an average MBTI ES to join a personality-related internet forum.

And the stats for Typology Central are strikingly similar to the ones for PerC.

All four of the IN types are way overrepresented at the all-types forums. And what's more, the self-selection ratios of all twelve of the other types are also strikingly consistent with a type-related explanation that says that (1) an N preference has a very large impact on the likelihood that someone will participate in personality-related internet forums, and (2) introversion also has a substantial impact (but not as large as an N preference).

Did Keirsey call INTJs the "Masterminds"? Yes, he did. And he called INTPs the "Architects" and INFPs the "Healers" and INFJs the "Counselors." And if those INTJ self-selection ratios largely result from the fact that it's so damn cool to be a Mastermind, I guess it must be almost twice as cool to be a Counselor, eh? And pretty damn cool to be a Healer or an Architect, too.

A similar meme in forum posts is the idea that a large percentage of forum N's are mistyped S's because it's cooler to be an N, or because the S/N items on the MBTI (or on "online tests") erroneously skew people in the N direction.

Buuut S/N is actually the only MBTI dimension where the overall (male and female together) percentages aren't close to 50/50, and the skew is in the S direction. Less than 30% of people come out N, according to official MBTI statistics. And I don't buy the idea that there's a big N skew in "online tests." I've been participating in type-me exercises for over five years now — including seeing lots of people's results on the official MBTI — and it's rare, in my experience, for an MBTI forum member to come out N on HumanMetrics or one of the other unofficial online tests and come out S on the official MBTI.

Among the regular PerC posters, I suspect that the percentage of purported INTJs who are actually another type may be smaller than the percentage of posters who think that the percentage of purported INTJs who are actually another type is large. And I also suspect that, among the regular posters, the percentage of purported INTJs who aren't INs is very small.

I'm endlessly pointing out that I think it's not uncommon for INFJs to mistype as INTJs, so I wouldn't disagree that it's likely there's a not-exactly-tiny group of purported INTJs here who are actually INFJs. And I suspect there's a smaller group of purported INTJs who are actually INTPs. But other than those two subgroups — most of whose members are probably not that far from the middle on the mistyped dimension — I'd guess the great majority of the other "INTJs" are actually INTJs.

·
Heretic
5w4 9w8 2w1 Sx/Sp INTJ ESI
10,834 Posts
People look on the surface most of the time.
I too liked the label of Mastermind, who wouldn't?
Yet all the hate and flack from the Fe camp where quite disturbing.
I found myself unaffected by the Fe when the real INTJs cringed over their exposed PoLR.

It was actually a relief finding I was ISFP rather than INTJ.
The stereotypical baggage was quite heavy to bear.

As for a trend or not, I dunno I havn't been in the INTJ forum for a while.

Reactions: pinkopal100

·
Registered
40 Posts
I hope that every human being one day will find himself in the position, from which he is going to see what he really is. Without faking and pretending

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I don't understand why the INTJ type would be perceived as trendy. Many people who type as INTJs online are cranky, bitter, sarcastic and socially awkward. I identify most with the INTJ stack and looking back at myself from several years ago, I would not want to be friends with myself. It was also a genuine challenge to learn to open up and make friends, and I lost many friends because I was so argumentative and blunt, which made life lonely and difficult. Being an INTJ has its strengths but I also think the potential drawbacks are fairly significant. I wish I were an ESFP or an ISFP. Maybe people think they understand the stack more than they actually do. But I doubt anyone would think being an INTJ is trendy.
This is exactly why though. In internet culture, it's apparently cool to be "cranky, bitter, sarcastic, and socially awkward". Hence the "INTJs". I don't think there's some big conspiracy to mistype themselves, but I think they're already answering the shaky at best dichotomy tests less than honestly with themselves. Most of them are probably still INxx types though, it's pretty much a given that they'll be overrepresented here.

·
Banned
3,980 Posts
A similar meme in forum posts is the idea that a large percentage of forum N's are mistyped S's because it's cooler to be an N, or because the S/N items on the MBTI (or on "online tests") erroneously skew people in the N direction.

Buuut S/N is actually the only MBTI dimension where the overall (male and female together) percentages aren't close to 50/50, and the skew is in the S direction. Less than 30% of people come out N, according to official MBTI statistics. And I don't buy the idea that there's a big N skew in "online tests." I've been participating in type-me exercises for over five years now — including seeing lots of people's results on the official MBTI — and it's rare, in my experience, for an MBTI forum member to come out N on HumanMetrics or one of the other unofficial online tests and come out S on the official MBTI.
that's not true, all those statistics are lies

·
Banned
3,802 Posts
Eh, I don't really know if it's "trendy" or not. When people say they're a certain type I feel like I have to give them the benefit of the doubt. I mean, it's REALLY hard to tell what someone's type is based on their forum posts (and even then I suck at typing people IRL) so I generally just assume that most people are aware of their type. I mean who knows themselves better than themselves?

1 - 20 of 155 Posts