Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...or are young people in general judgmental?

I don't know about others, but I find people in my own generation to be kind of judgmental--regardless of political affiliation, and really, non-religious people are often more judgmental than the religious ones.

When I say "judgmental" I mean prone to sum up or dismiss a person based on some one attribute one disagrees with or disapproves of. It could be whether or not you patronize Wal-Mart, do you support guns, what type of church do you attend, are you too religious, are you not religious enough, did you vote for X candidate, do you live a "healthy" lifestyle, are you too prudish, as a man, are you supportive enough of feminism, as a woman are you liberated enough, etc. Not everyone is like this, but it's the general trend I see.

In my experience, older generations, namely the baby boomers, have made the best friends even though they are my parents' age, as they seem to know how to live and let live and accept people with their differences simply as a part of life.

Is this a generational thing, or is it a youth/immaturity vs. age/life experience type of thing?

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'm not sure where you get the idea that baby boomers all live harmoniously together. Absolute delusion. Back in the true old days you could be publicly lynched by "vigilantes" for being different, and get away with it. (Still possible, even in industrialized nations today I am sure....)

You can't grab a few anecdotal experiences and try labeling an entire generation. Especially if it goes against history. Just look at how judgmental people of the past were against women, people of color, the disabled and homosexuals. It was hell for many of those people!

Sadly, many people today are just as judgmental as the "good ole days."

·
Maid of Time
14,749 Posts
I find that every generation is judgmental... just in its own particular way. The things that are judged actually do change, but there's always some kind of judgment within the broad culture.

But judgment comes on a personal level. it's up to each individual as to whether to be judgmental. It's just that a group of people who grew up within the same constraints might be more prone to share judgments -- and at that point, a particular generation might be said to also possess a general judgment about something.

I don't particularly feel the Baby Boomers are 'non-judgmental'. They are my parents' generation, and I feel they have been horribly judgmental over the years about the culture and about my generation. There could be a few things in play with your different experience:

1. They might have eased up now that they've seen a few generations in place. So yes, that would be an age/experience thing.

2. Some of them are no longer in the job market, they can just focus on living and retiring and doing their thing. So they no longer have to care as much. Lots less stress.

3. They're your grandparents generation if you are Gen Y. Big difference in how people are as grandparents and how they are as parents. Usually grandparents are more laid back.

I can probably come up with some other dynamics as well. But I wouldn't call the Boomers non-judgmental. In fact, in some circles I'm in, they tend to be the most judgmental group of all in terms of "how something should be done." As a group, they've usually had one way to do it, and they've tried to impose that way on the group rather than being open to open alternatives. I also have heard a lot of lamenting about "how bad the world is now" compared to their idyllic childhoods. Not all Boomers are this way, obviously, I'm just stating that I've had some bad experiences in some contexts with rigid thinking. Maybe again the fact they're in my "parents" generation leads to a dynamic between Baby Boomers and Gen X that isn't helpful, and maybe the Boomer and Gen Y and younger dynamic is different.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
All generations have the same attitudes against the system they're in; they're all a product of the previous generations. Baby Boomers rebeled agains war, stuff like that; Gen X about the changes in society (rise of divorce, AIDS, etc.) and now, Gen Y fights and chants for tolerance, healthy lifestyle, diversity, etc.

It's the same play, it's the actors the ones that change.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
It sounds as though you're noticing a shift to the left, rather than an increase in judgmental attitudes. Ask a gay atheistic member of a racial minority, e.g., and I doubt they would agree with your premise.
People on the left are highly judgmental in my opinion. I get tired of being on facebook because all I hear is the constant pity party-sob stories and constant bashing of whites. It makes me exhausted. Yes, they have problems, but the constant bashing and sob stories are just too much at a certain point. As a white blonde, I certainly don't feel the need to spend my whole life sobbing over the fact that I live in a town that is prejudiced against female blondes, or the fact that it is impossible for middle class whites to get scholarships where I live.
Anyways, yes I think Gen. Y are somewhat snobby. But it's mostly the younger ones who are in college, who think they are so much greater than anyone a few years younger than them, and seem to think they are so mature, even though I can't see how party culture is mature in anyway. I love Gen X though. They honestly seem the most tolerant to me, and that would be my parents generation.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Anyways, yes I think Gen. Y are somewhat snobby. But it's mostly the younger ones who are in college....
Snobby college kids? Wouldn't that only apply to a small subset of Gen Y folks though? You made a blanket statement but then switched to focusing on college kids. I need some clarification. What kind of college kids? Those going to a technical school? Community college? I feel you are referring to those privileged enough to attend a four-year school in relative financial comfort that they actually have time to party and etc.... But feel free to correct me.

I believe too many people are generalizing an entire generation based on the people immediately surrounding them. If you moved to a small and rural agricultural town that was mainly Latino in population for instance, I wonder if you would reach the same conclusion? There is a massive part of society that is not represented in mainstream media that often are ignored and in no way could be considered conventionally snobby or yuppies. They are a part of Gen Y too!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure where you get the idea that baby boomers all live harmoniously together. Absolute delusion. Back in the true old days you could be publicly lynched by "vigilantes" for being different, and get away with it. (Still possible, even in industrialized nations today I am sure....)

You can't grab a few anecdotal experiences and try labeling an entire generation. Especially if it goes against history. Just look at how judgmental people of the past were against women, people of color, the disabled and homosexuals. It was hell for many of those people!

Sadly, many people today are just as judgmental as the "good ole days."
Who said anything about everyone living harmoniously together? I gave a specific definition of "judgmental" and asked whether that trait is more prevalent in this generation over previous ones. It is quite possible for different periods of time to highlight certain characteristics over others. That doesn't suggest that there was no conflict. Your opinoin is fine, but you mischaracterized my question.

Furthermore, I've lived all over the country with people of varying economic statuses, races, religion, political affiliation, etc., and across those differences, I still see the same differences generationally, which is why I asked whether it could simply be a factor of aging rather than any specific generational attribute.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Snobby college kids? Wouldn't that only apply to a small subset of Gen Y folks though? You made a blanket statement but then switched to focusing on college kids. I need some clarification. What kind of college kids? Those going to a technical school? Community college? I feel you are referring to those privileged enough to attend a four-year school in relative financial comfort that they actually have time to party and etc.... But feel free to correct me.

I believe too many people are generalizing an entire generation based on the people immediately surrounding them. If you moved to a small and rural agricultural town that was mainly Latino in population for instance, I wonder if you would reach the same conclusion? There is a massive part of society that is not represented in mainstream media that often are ignored and in no way could be considered conventionally snobby or yuppies. They are a part of Gen Y too!
There's a sense in which Gen Y refers to the educated middle and upper middle classes only. The commentaries circulating about Gen Y are specifically about the bourgeois, or the political class. It's the political class that has the most influence, which is why they the ones being spoken of. I'm not saying that's right, but especially given the relatively small size of the agricultural and manufacturing sectors, and the shrinking power of unions, other modes of political influence are not as robust as they used to be.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Who said anything about everyone living harmoniously together? I gave a specific definition of "judgmental" and asked whether that trait is more prevalent in this generation over previous ones. It is quite possible for different periods of time to highlight certain characteristics over others. That doesn't suggest that there was no conflict. Your opinoin is fine, but you mischaracterized my question.

Furthermore, I've lived all over the country with people of varying economic statuses, races, religion, political affiliation, etc., and across those differences, I still see the same differences generationally, which is why I asked whether it could simply be a factor of aging rather than any specific generational attribute.
Eh, I don't think it's an age thing either. There are plenty of older people who are extremely judgmental. Isn't that even a prevalent stereotype (not always correct of course) of older people? And your OP was just anecdotal generalizations. I think that's my main issue with people making these generational arguments. It's all so heavily entrenched in personal experiences. Any solid studies or figures to offer on this? But either way... we can agree to disagree. It's all in fun here! :cool:

·
Registered
784 Posts
There's a sense in which Gen Y refers to the educated middle and upper middle classes only. The commentaries circulating about Gen Y are specifically about the bourgeois, or the political class. It's the political class that has the most influence, which is why they the ones being spoken of. I'm not saying that's right, but especially given the relatively small size of the agricultural and manufacturing sectors, and the shrinking power of unions, other modes of political influence are not as robust as they used to be.
Hm, interesting point. I am not surprised that Gen Y is designed to define only a small portion of over represented society (upper class, largely white America), yet everyone talks as if it applies to everyone. :confused: I guess the rest of us are just unimportant nobodies. Our opinions don't even matter in this thread since Gen Y doesn't apply to us. Yikes.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts

No, I was qualifying my previous statement, by saying I didn't mean just anybody who is a gen Y. Financial comfort? I guess that depends what you mean by that. I know plenty of people who aren't the most well off who still manage to spend time to party. I mean colleges in general. And no, they aren't all that way. I would never say that everyone in an entire generation acts exactly the same. That would be absurd.

·
Registered
784 Posts
No, I was qualifying my previous statement, by saying I didn't mean just anybody who is a gen Y. Financial comfort? I guess that depends what you mean by that. I know plenty of people who aren't the most well off who still manage to spend time to party. I mean colleges in general. And no, they aren't all that way. I would never say that everyone in an entire generation acts exactly the same. That would be absurd.
Thanks for the clarification. And you are definitely right about the partying! Duh on my part. :cool:

·
Registered
109 Posts
It sounds as though you're noticing a shift to the left, rather than an increase in judgmental attitudes. Ask a gay atheistic member of a racial minority, e.g., and I doubt they would agree with your premise.
^^^^ This, so much. I am a gay, black, female bodied, gender variant atheist from South Carolina. Ask me about how life has been. Let's just say it's a good thing I got up the gumption to move to NY.

·
Banned
4,611 Posts
It could be that Gen Y is more judgmental towards you and certain characteristics you have, but that would not mean they're more judgmental overall towards everyone.

^^^^ This, so much. I am a gay, black, female bodied, gender variant atheist from South Carolina. Ask me about how life has been. Let's just say it's a good thing I got up the gumption to move to NY.
Yep. And I bet your life is a lot better than it would have been in, say, 1960. Cultural attitudes are shifting, and someone like you is more likely to be accepted. In other words, in at least some ways, Gen Y is less judgmental.

So yeah, basically I agree with Jennywocky that everyone's judgmental. The question is about what.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yep. And I bet your life is a lot better than it would have been in, say, 1960. Cultural attitudes are shifting, and someone like you is more likely to be accepted. In other words, in at least some ways, Gen Y is less judgmental.
I disagree. believe me, what I am living is not acceptance. I am MORE accepted than I would have been in 1960, sure, but it hasn't stopped me from being sent to conversion therapy or enduring racial slurs and gay bashings, has it? Some acceptance.

·
Banned
4,611 Posts
I disagree. believe me, what I am living is not acceptance. I am MORE accepted than I would have been in 1960, sure, but it hasn't stopped me from being sent to conversion therapy or enduring racial slurs and gay bashings, has it? Some acceptance.
Yeah, I was speaking in comparative terms, pointing out that older generations are not necessarily less judgmental.

This is not to say there are no longer major, major problems. Or that there aren't assholes in every generation. I'm glad you've made your move and wish you all the best healing from the abuse.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yeah, I was speaking in comparative terms, pointing out that older generations are not necessarily less judgmental.

This is not to say there are no longer major, major problems. Or that there aren't assholes in every generation. I'm glad you've made your move and wish you all the best healing from the abuse.
Ahh, ok, I completely misinterpreted that, apologies. And I do ok. What doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger, right? Thanks, so much. :)

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
It would say we're a lot less judgmental. In the past they acted on the judgements they made. People used to intentionally hunt down gays and beat them up. There used to be bar fights over the most trivial stuff (think Ford vs Chevy) so if some person who didn't fit in came in, it was hell for them. Yes people do make judgements, but they're a lot more silent than they were even 15 years ago.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts