Personality Cafe banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
9,986 Posts
Please don’t reference links to websites or references to bible verses as answers, I want to have a discussion with you. I’m readily familiar with cookie cutter Christian responses to all this, read the Bible inside and out, it comes across as insincere to respond like that. I want an honest response to my question of why God doesn’t make himself evident to all in a way that is universally acknowledged, and why you don’t see it as remarkable that he isn’t. You presented the child jumping into his fathers arms from a tree and I asked why isn’t God present like that in our lives. Why can we see, touch, and know the existence of our earthly father but not God the father? I’d like a genuine answer, not something you grab off a script, or google, or lifted off a biblical passage. This goes for anyone out there, why do you think a God of love, a God who supposedly created with such detail and interest, is not actively involved with his creation in an unmistakably, verifiable way? If you believe in a personal God, like the one portrayed in the Bible, I’d really like an honest explanation why you don’t think it’s odd he isn’t.
Allow me to explain...Linking and quoting scriptures is to point to something with authority, rather than my own merit alone as a human - and I do so only because I am convinced that this is the truth. I was trying to direct you to find the answers directly from Jehovah God Himself, as who better could provide such answers? Being that I believe that the Bible is the Word of God, and that it contains the answers for such questions from God, to me this is the most authentic and honest way to answer you.
But as you said you don't want me to reply to you with links and quotes from the Bible, I will of course respect your wishes.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Allow me to explain...Linking and quoting scriptures is to point to something with authority, rather than my own merit alone as a human - and I do so only because I am convinced that this is the truth. I was trying to direct you to find the answers directly from Jehovah God Himself, as who better could provide such answers? Being that I believe that the Bible is the Word of God, and that it contains the answers for such questions from God, to me this is the most authentic and honest way to answer you.
But as you said you don't want me to reply to you with links and quotes from the Bible, I will of course respect your wishes.
The Bible is given authority by those who believe it is from God. You are not discussing with someone who gives the Bible any authority over them. If I was a Christian, discussing topics with scripture makes sense as both would agree the Bible has authority over the topic. Presently quoting scripture to me is akin to quoting any book written by anyone on the topic, and means little to me, I’m more interested in your answers articulated by you. This doesn’t mean references to outside sources is meaningless but it must be used in a way to assist understanding of your position, not be the response of your position. I’ve found arguing with a book to be a very solitary and often one sided affair. I certainly wouldn’t need another person to be involved to have it, either.

·
Registered
9,986 Posts
The Bible is given authority by those who believe it is from God. You are not discussing with someone who gives the Bible any authority over them. If I was a Christian, discussing topics with scripture makes sense as both would agree the Bible has authority over the topic. Presently quoting scripture to me is akin to quoting any book written by anyone on the topic, and means little to me, I’m more interested in your answers articulated by you. This doesn’t mean references to outside sources is meaningless but it must be used in a way to assist understanding of your position, not be the response of your position. I’ve found arguing with a book to be a very solitary and often one sided affair. I certainly wouldn’t need another person to be involved to have it, either.
I have faith that the Bible is from God, and I think you know what I mean by saying that.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have faith that the Bible is from God, and I think you know what I mean by saying that.
I realize you do. But I’m not having a conversation with the Bible, I’m having it with you. It’s fine if you don’t want to, but then just say so. I can read the Bible on my own anytime. Citing scripture that God is evident from creation does nothing to answer the question of why you think it’s reasonable for God to be absent from his own creation when, in your interpretation of God, he has invested an extraordinary amount of time creating it and watching it. He can know the number of hairs on your head, but not be present with you. He can promise eternal life with him but can’t be temporarily here with you. It’s the absent father who promises all these fantastical things to their children in the future but can’t just be there present with them now. I want to know why you think that’s not only reasonable, but worthy of worship and adoration. If earthly fathers can exemplify better for their children, what God is God to not show as much, if not exceed all expectations?

·
Registered
9,986 Posts
I realize you do. But I’m not having a conversation with the Bible, I’m having it with you. It’s fine if you don’t want to, but then just say so. I can read the Bible on my own anytime. Citing scripture that God is evident from creation does nothing to answer the question of why you think it’s reasonable for God to would be absent from his own creation when, in your interpretation Of God, he has invested an extraordinary amount of time creating it and watching it. He can know the number of hairs on your head, but not be present with you. He can promise eternal life with him but can’t be temporarily here with you. It’s the absent father who promises all these fantastical things to their children in the future but can’t just be there present with them now. I want to know why you think that’s not only reasonable, but worthy of worship and adoration. If earthly fathers can exemplify better for their children, what God is God to not show as much, if not exceed all expectations?
This particular conversation is specifically about God, and seeks answers about God. This is why I think it's only logical to at least reference the Bible. As for your question where you asked why it's reasonable for God to be absent from His own creation, that would be under the assumption that God is absent in the first place, which I do not believe. You asked why God is not present with us personally, but absent, yet that would be assuming that He isn't present. As I don't have the freedom to answer this the way I would answer it, I think I will leave it for you to discover for yourself in your own time. When it comes to discussing God, religion, and spirituality, I'm not interested in having discussions if I'm not free to access the basis of my own beliefs.

·
Registered
517 Posts
This particular conversation is specifically about God, and seeks answers about God. This is why I think it's only logical to at least reference the Bible. As for your question where you asked why it's reasonable for God to be absent from His own creation, that would be under the assumption that God is absent in the first place, which I do not believe. You asked why God is not present with us personally, but absent, yet that would be assuming that He isn't present. As I don't have the freedom to answer this the way I would answer it, I think I will leave it for you to discover for yourself in your own time. When it comes to discussing God, religion, and spirituality, I'm not interested in having discussions if I'm not free to access the basis of my own beliefs.
Well it’s not an assumption, it’s patently clear God is not in front of us as other humans are that we interact with daily. But it’s fine if you’re not comfortable discussing this without citing scripture for your answers, and wish you the best of life and whatever journey your life, or rather God, takes you. See you around.

·
Registered
9,986 Posts
Well it’s not an assumption, it’s patently clear God is not in front of us as other humans are that we interact with daily. But it’s fine if you’re not comfortable discussing this without citing scripture for your answers, and wish you the best of life and whatever journey your life, or rather God, takes you. See you around.
Wish you all the best too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello to all yall! As for me, I believe that every people should decide on their own if God is real or not. Faith is a kind of support for a person, who needs some help maybe. I prefer to believe in horoscopes and numbers. My favourite number is 333. I even have a tattoo in front of my arm. Check 333 angel number meaning if you are interested. Do you believe in such things?

384 Posts
You know what impresses me, apart that the Greeks changed extremely elevated philosophies to the Truth, is that no matter where I go, there is and will always be someone who the Creator chose to communicate the net reality of all existential affairs. And that, that persons version of the Truth always did, does and will win.

And the Truth is just one. And to have had the right to even remotely view it, to not say live it, is the greatest blessing of all.

1 Thessa 5:17

·
Registered
9,986 Posts
You know what impresses me, apart that the Greeks changed extremely elevated philosophies to the Truth, is that no matter where I go, there is and will always be someone who the Creator chose to communicate the net reality of all existential affairs. And that, that persons version of the Truth always did, does and will win.

And the Truth is just one. And to have had the right to even remotely view it, to not say live it, is the greatest blessing of all.

1 Thessa 5:17
I like what it says in 1 Corinthians 3:16 ~ "But when one turns to Jehovah, the veil is taken away."

384 Posts
I definitely agree with that.
Occasionally Im asking myself what would make a person in doubt confident about this side of the reality. A miracle, a series of them, encountering directly what the Creator is, what. Or is it infact that many will justify all of that as coincidence and just move on doing what satisfies their love for power. Because I start to think less and less that people are blind, and more and more that they KNOW AND UNDERSTAND pretty well indeed the creation part of the world affairs. And just knowingly refuse it. What is your experience about that all, if ok to ask.

·
Registered
9,986 Posts
Occasionally Im asking myself what would make a person in doubt confident about this side of the reality. A miracle, a series of them, encountering directly what the Creator is, what. Or is it infact that many will justify all of that as coincidence and just move on doing what satisfies their love for power. Because I start to think less and less that people are blind, and more and more that they KNOW AND UNDERSTAND pretty well indeed the creation part of the world affairs. And just knowingly refuse it. What is your experience about that all, if ok to ask.
In this world there's definitely a degree of "I want to do things MY way" whatever the cost, even choosing preference over truth. Someone may hear that God wants worship to be done in a specific way, for instance, and doesn't like it in another way, but because the person themselves prefer the alternative way, they don't want to know if their way is disapproved by God, and may choose to dismiss what's true...This is often the case with popular pagan celebrations/holidays. Some don't want to know the truth about such things, but they just want to have fun.

Reactions: dulcinea
384 Posts
In this world there's definitely a degree of "I want to do things MY way" whatever the cost, even choosing preference over truth. Someone may hear that God wants worship to be done in a specific way, for instance, and doesn't like it in another way, but because the person themselves prefer the alternative way, they don't want to know if their way is disapproved by God, and may choose to dismiss what's true...This is often the case with popular pagan celebrations/holidays. Some don't want to know the truth about such things, but they just want to have fun.
Of course, but exactly that costs them their happiness. As when we do not align with the creation itself, that dissync is obviously not constructive, but animalistic, or even wild in the negative sense. Just insane. But choosing preference over truth is already on another level, here the truth is known and it is seen as disgusting and can be even fought agaist, will is the max culmination of self sabotage. Ive tried to re enter that realm and see what one derives from that all and came around a conclusion where what is obtain is an ego rush. Its done, we are doing it all, for ego inflation, called pride. Thats not very sustainable on the other side, as the horrors of hell dont let a soul to have a lot of pride, do they.

Sure. Its far more easier to toss a coin, that to rely on continuos attemps of altruism, or dodging maleficity. So much more easier to toss that coin. The fun here is momentary without God, and in comparison, not even that much fun. But what is asked for is given, and then accountability sets in, especially the one on the final judgement day. But it is true what you say, that theres a lot of unwilligness to take a proper look into the eyes of the reality. But being dodgy about what is, wont change the fact that death will encounter us all, prepped or unprepped. And thats where tragedy sets in. Great tragedy.

Its all simple, but we make it look complicated.

·
Registered
INFJ
5,863 Posts
If I were to establish a case to someone unfamiliar with concept of God or of religion, it's futile, first of all, to look to science for answers, because it wasn't scientific advancement that has caused humans to doubt the existence of God on the mass scale that it has done so.
I really wish this book was available for download on jw.org, for download, but it is on the online library. It's called "Mankind's Search for God" and,it contained a brilliant chapter that discussed the ideological origins of the modern disbelief in God.
Modern Disbelief—Should the Search Continue? — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY
It's really accurate what is says about the influence of today's prevalence of atheism among human kind. Thinkers such as Ludwig Feuerbach influenced many other thinkers such as Karl Marx, Charles Darwin, Sigmund Freude and Fridriche Nietchze, thinkers whose ideological influence that we cannot escape from in any form of the media.

But the reason why humans have lost their belief in God as a collective is not often the same reason why people decide to not believe in God as individuals. Some people have faith and lose it when they see bad things happen to good people. Other people see the hypocrisy and greed that's present in most mainstream religions and believe the religion is nothing more than a tax free business model or a way of coercing people. Whereas some have been taught ideas in University that present the narrative that believe in God is foolish and childish and that the facts point to the lack of existence of a higher power.

I was once an agnostic, myself, and I can relate what convinced me, but what convinced me might not convince you, because your reason for not believing might not be the same as it was for me:

When I was a child, I went to a First Baptist Church, and went to Sunday School regularly. One Sunday, my family and I decided to make a sermon, and the preacher talked about nothing but how other people should donate for him to make money, and then he went into his little sportscar and drove away. We received nothing upbuilding in that Church service. When people talk about religion in a negative light, based on my past experiences, I can understand where they're coming from. For years, I saw the concept of a religion as being nothing more than a means by which people can coerce other people for personal gain.

When I was 14, my mom, who had been baptized as one of Jehovah's Witnesses, but had left, decided to come back. I wanted absolutely nothing to do with it. My mind was shut off from the idea of going to a religion. I didn't see anything that could be gained from it. Then, eventually, I started to observe things about the people that was different from any other group of people that I've ever interacted with. It impressed me that no one was profitting from it. There was no paid clergy and no passing of a collection box or plate and that really impressed me. The publications have stated honestly, to accomplish this work does take money, and the congregations would pass resolutions so that the congregation could decide where local donation funds could be allocated, and this impressed me greatly.

It wasn't until I became impressed with actually observing the practical ways that the Bible can,on a consistent basis (and no, not everyone would apply it. There's no place where everyone will follow what the Bible says exactly, because we are all imperfect and some people have serious issues), that I opened my mind to what the Bible has to say and look for evidence as to whether or not the Bible is the word of God.

This Chapter is a Good Place to Start, in What can the Bible teach us, in looking at evidence of whether the Bible is the word of God. The evidence that impressed me the most is the prophecy regarding Babylon, as it said that it would never be inhabited, and even to this day, it's merely a collection of ruins about 50 miles away from Baghdad. Of course, there are many other lines of reasoning based on its internal harmony, despite being written over many years by many different writers, its prophecy, the practical advice, and even where it's in agreement with science.
One of the most impressive examples to the Bible's scientific accuracy is the Mosaic law, which had its people bury their excrement far from their water source, quarantine those who are sick, wash themselves thoroughly after touching any dead body, and even predicted that the rabbit is a chewer of the cud, something that hasn't been discovered until much more recently. Many infections have been linked to the consumption of foods that are considered unclean under the law, so considering that this was a time before people had access to the sanitation equipment that people have today, this was incredibly practical.

Again, I'm not writing this convinced that I will convince an atheist that God exists. I only present the reasons why I've become convinced, myself, and to challenge the prevailing narrative that promotes atheism as scientific fact, rather than a philosophical assumption.

Reactions: He's a Superhero!
101 - 117 of 117 Posts