Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. As soon as I have landed on my own enneagram type (9w1) I want to start typing others, haha, so here goes:

Someone close to me that I have been dating a while, seem like a 5w6 to me, but sometimes I see traits of the 3 in him. I am quite new to typing though, so I may of course be wrong.

He seem like a typical 5 in every way to be honest, but sometimes image-focused and concerned with efficiency and success. He has a lot of knowledge and enjoy sharing it, and is indeed quite good at adjusting the explanation to fit the other person. He'd make a good teacher. Sometimes, perhaps when he's explaining too much, he may come off as a bit arrogant, but he's aware of this and tries to tone it down. He is very practical and logical, but seem enticed by my easy-going-ness and slight randomness. We are both very withdrawn and introverted people, but him to a much higher extent than me. He likes his alone time. Yet, in group settings, he's quite talkative.

What are observations I can make regarding typing, specifically in him?

·
Registered
14,296 Posts
Someone close to me that I have been dating a while, seem like a 5w6 to me, but sometimes I see traits of the 3 in him. I am quite new to typing though, so I may of course be wrong.
3 and 5 are both in the competency triad, so they will naturally have some traits in common.

He seem like a typical 5 in every way to be honest, but sometimes image-focused and concerned with efficiency and success. He has a lot of knowledge and enjoy sharing it, and is indeed quite good at adjusting the explanation to fit the other person. He'd make a good teacher. Sometimes, perhaps when he's explaining too much, he may come off as a bit arrogant, but he's aware of this and tries to tone it down. He is very practical and logical, but seem enticed by my easy-going-ness and slight randomness. We are both very withdrawn and introverted people, but him to a much higher extent than me. He likes his alone time. Yet, in group settings, he's quite talkative.

Based on what you've said about him, either 3 or 5 is possible. I don't know him so I can't try typing him for you.

I think that typing based on core fears and desires is a lot more effective than typing based on characteristics. Figuring out why he partakes in certain behaviors, rather than just focusing on behaviors and trying to match them to the stereotypes of each type.

This is really simplified, but I think you can look into the triads:

Is he more focused on image-related concerns (3) or anxiety-related concerns (5)?

Does he relate more to attachment or rejection triad?

(here's more about attachment and rejection)

People with the attachment object relation tend to have a sense of contentment that their needs (with people, situation, thinks) are being met. Their sense of self is based on being deeply attached to things perceived as good. To attach themselves, these types adapt their ways to be consistent with important people or things.

People with the rejection object relation feel that they have been rejected by others. Others don't care about their needs, so they reject their own needs too. Consequently, their relationships often have issues of not wanting to be nurtured or touched. Despite feeling rejected, they feel they only have one gift to offer to prevent future rejection. Their sense of self is based on countering this rejection by offering their talent.

Object Relations

Which of these do you think resonate with him more?

Basic Fear: Of being worthless
Basic Desire: To feel valuable and worthwhile
Basic Fear: Being useless, helpless, or incapable
Basic Desire: To be capable and competent
These are just some ideas to get started, hope something helps.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
People who you are close to are the hardest to type, in my experience. It's just so difficult to be truly objective. Maybe it's easier to start with some random colleagues or something... people who you are close to, but only physical and not emotional.
Good point, I'm playing around with it and trying to type other people in my environment as well. I'll give them a number and then look for counterarguments against that. It's fun, but I do need to learn more about the types I'm not influenced by myself.

People with the rejection object relation feel that they have been rejected by others. Others don't care about their needs, so they reject their own needs too. Consequently, their relationships often have issues of not wanting to be nurtured or touched. Despite feeling rejected, they feel they only have one gift to offer to prevent future rejection. Their sense of self is based on countering this rejection by offering their talent.
Thank you for your help, @letdown! Out of the two, this one seems true for him.

When it comes to the basic desire and fear, I cannot choose between the two. Perhaps I'll ask him.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi everyone. As soon as I have landed on my own enneagram type (9w1) I want to start typing others, haha, so here goes:

Hi there,

I’d say he’s definitely not a 3, as 3s love to shine — even if for a few people (as the 3w4). That said...

What I’ve found time and time again is that many people tend to sport 2 types strongly almost as if they have 2 core types. It’s very possible he’s a 5 core with a very strong 3 fix, and that seems the likely situation here.

Does that check out for you?

For body fix.. I would wager 9. To

·
Registered
INTJ 6w5 sx/sp
178 Posts

You're basically dating me.
Which makes me wonder how you found him.

Prøv 6?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts