Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I might come to the forum with those who know ENTJs the best, since I'm new to this but have a feeling he might be an ENTJ.

There happens to be a man in my life who completely baffles yet intrigues me. A little bit of background information on me, I'm an ENTP who happens to be very versatile and adaptable. I've known him for about two months and we get along great when we talk, but when we aren't talking it's awkward. I'll explain how.....

Aesthetically, I think he's the most attractive person I've ever met. However, he's not attractive to most people. The moment he opened his mouth to introduce himself I fell in love. He manages to give you his undivided attention when speaking to you one on one.

A little bit about him, he's a former accountant with a strong background in business and extensive experience in sales. However he left his job to pursue teaching because he had a passion for history and politics. He's always eager to help people whenever they need a job done and he's quick to showcase his knowledge on a subject when asked. However, he seems to have a very serious personality. He doesn't take well to sarcasm or jokes that can be taken personally. He does however have a great sense of observational humor and has some of the most genuine laughter I have ever heard. He's a former high-school wrestler and works as an assistant high-school wrestling coach. On the mat he can be extremely patient and helpful to the new guys, but he get's easily frustrated by people who don't listen to him.

Other interesting tidbits, he's slightly clumsy when he's standing on two feet, he runs into a lot of stuff and happens to drop things, cut himself, etc. On a personal level he stares at me with an extremely intense gaze. For example, there are instances when we're having a three way conversation and he stares directly at me no matter who's talking. (almost as if he's looking through me) He also takes time to reply unless we're having an actual conversation. For example if I say Hey or Hello he stops to look at me for about three seconds before responding, sometimes with a completely different answer. He also seems to get bored very easily, when sitting in silence he'll start humming or singing.

Can someone help me out here? I'm curious to know what he might be and how he might view me as an ENTP. Granted I'll answer any questions that might help since I'm not exactly a perfect ENTP. Some days I have even tested ENFJ. It depends on my mood and my goals.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Most Fe-doms I know are all about 'talking about how people express themselves, monitoring "behaviours" and "opinions". Which it sounds like he doesn't do, or if he does it's not (X behaves/feels like this -> does it clash with others/myself -> do I ignore/do something/what do I do)
a Te user would be more like (I need your opinions...on whether doing X/thinking Y is helpful)

History/Teaching can have some leaning to ENFJ
Sales+Accounts+General Business = sounds like ENTJ thirsting for a 'big picture'
Salesmanship is NFJ territory too.
Showcasing knowledge is T in nature.
Clumsiness i'd stereotype as N

Nothing shouts ENFJ except teaching. It isn't something I'd think ENTJ's would go into 'for the love of a subject or children'... I don't see the 'goal' in it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, thanks for the feedback.

It seems like his biggest weakness with teaching is with the students. He doesn't relate well when he teaches because he has a way of talking "at" them instead of "to them" as if he's lacking that emotional/supportive strength that Fe types seem to have. It's almost as if he likes being able to dispense information but without any real reason. When we do talk about business (it's a field that I actually want to get into) he mentions how numbers oriented you have to be and how well you have to be able to relate to people. Personally I think he's a very factual kind of guy who can communicate well with dealing with like minded individuals, but he lacks the ability to reach out to others.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
he's a very factual kind of guy who can communicate well with dealing with like minded individuals, but he lacks the ability to reach out to others.
...And you were wondering if he was a Fe-dom knowing this?

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts
... A little bit about him, he's a former accountant with a strong background in business and extensive experience in sales. However he left his job to pursue teaching because he had a passion for history and politics. He's always eager to help people whenever they need a job done and he's quick to showcase his knowledge on a subject when asked. However, he seems to have a very serious personality. He doesn't take well to sarcasm or jokes that can be taken personally. He does however have a great sense of observational humor and has some of the most genuine laughter I have ever heard. He's a former high-school wrestler and works as an assistant high-school wrestling coach. On the mat he can be extremely patient and helpful to the new guys, but he get's easily frustrated by people who don't listen to him ...
It's difficult to type people using random anecdotal information, but in my mind:

Accounting
doesn't scream ENTJ. It's a closed system that doesn't lend itself to any sort of imaginative or abstract thought that is attractive to NTs. It seems more likely to attract SJ types.

I cringed when I read "always eager to help people whenever they need a job done". Personally, I don't mind sharing my knowledge with others who genuinely seek to learn something from me, but helping people out "when they need a job done" ... I'm not volunteering for that unless (1) it interests me, or (2) it's for someone with whom I share a close attachment. So, yes, if you want to pick my brain about how to set up a small consulting business, I'll share what I know, but I'm not helping you move, don't ask.

I'm the Queen of Sarcasm (wait, no ... that's @bionic ... lol) I've found that most of the ENTJs here share that quality. It's pretty difficult to offend us with personal opinions or attempts at snarky humor.

"Gets easily frustrated by people who don't listen to him" ... Sounds like he is taking it personally. I can be extremely patient explaining something if you are interested, but if you're not listening, I quit talking. I'm not frustrated by that, I'm just not going to waste my time with you. Pffft.

Yes, these are generalizations but I think they hold true for the most part.

You might have better luck typing him if you observe his behavior looking for evidence of the hierarchy of his cognitive functions.

Reactions: bionic and 2eng
1 - 6 of 6 Posts