Personality Cafe banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Here is my problem with this entire argument...

It's asking if there is a link between oranges and grapefruits. Of course there is. That doesn't mean they are the same thing. It also doesn't mean that just because you have an orange in your fridge someone can assume that you have grapefruits, enjoy grapefruits, or even know what one is. Most of my friends and fellows are NTs. An INTJ I know is bipolar.

The other issue is autism is a very fast growing area of diagnosis. Here are some other things to consider...

Most INTJs are men, and the rates of diagnosed autism (ASD) show it is more common in men/boys. So there is one 'odd' against 'us'.

ASD is still being studied. From actually malformities of the brain, to simple chemical imbalances, there are so many variables and research into cause and treatment it is insane. A few years ago, the awkward kid in class was just that. Awkward. Now he probably has an ASD.

My brother actually has been diagnosed with aspergers. He is a text-book INTJ. I am an INTJ. Does that mean I have aspergers? He got three opinions, each confirmed the others diagnosis. I went to the same. Not aspergers. So there is a 50/50 rate right there for ya. Combine that with a mostly male INTJ population of that type, combined with the previous factoid, and yeah, it's a higher rate. But a higher rate of a smaller sample.

Aspergers, from dealing with my brother, is more than simply being socially awkward and loving technological stuff.

And INTJ is more than being a dark-humored asshole.

Not all citrus fruits are grapefruits, not all birds that can swim are ducks.

This was all discussed from a previous thread, and it was proven soundly there is no direct correlation other than statistics, which is a tricky beast to bet on alone.
Nice uses of metaphors in your explanation. I like it and agree with it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree with those who say it is more of an introvert thing. I think an introvert would score higher AQ than an extrovert. From memory I scored 24, which isn't too bad. But a lot higher than most extroverts I bet!

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,441 Posts
Wired 9.12: Take The AQ Test

I scored 35 on the test which is high on the Autistic Spectrum.

At one point I thought I might have Aspergers Syndrome. Strange enough though, I can understand sarcasm easily and I tends to speak sarcastically. So I pondered on this, it is because I don't give a damn so much that the test consider me with high AQ?

So what am I? Am I Batman? Is high AQ common among INTJ?
No

·
Heretic
ESI 9w8 5w4 2w1
10,672 Posts
I scored low.
Who is your autist now bitch?

·
Registered
224 Posts
AQ is a screening test. It means, that: If you've got high score you may be on autistic spectrum.
Nothing else.
INTPs and Asperger's Syndrome | Oddly Developed Types

Especially this excerpt:

Chester concluded that “Asperger's Syndrome...seems indistinguishable from certain of the Jungian/Myers-Briggs personality types” and added that “it is sometimes difficult to tell whether a person's behavior represents a type characteristic or a symptom of the disorder.” Significantly, he concluded, “In no case did I find that the type preferences of people diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome were understood or encouraged.”
Maybe it's indistinguishable from quotients focusing on social interaction and preferences. But it's neurodevelopmental disorder - it means it's much more than that e.x. : excellent memory, to the level that you are astonished at why someone ask you the same question you were talking about month ago; problems with sensory integration (I think mostly to slowed down sensory habituation); lack of flexibility (problems with getting used to new thing and changes in routine) ; often OCD, often synaesthesia.
I think that the most direct cause of cognitive differences in AS is GABA deficiency, but anyway...

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Like many INTJs, I share some behavioral attributes with autistic folks, but I only scored a 19 on that test. The identification of the INTJ type with autism is a common one, and has led me to wonder if I were on the spectrum. I am confident now that I am not, but there are definitely points of confusion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been diagnosed with autism last year and i'm 28 years old now...

I'm a INTJ and Austistic but that does'nt mean that al autistic people are INTJ,
So my personality is INTJ my brain layout is autistic.

i dont think of (high function) autism as a disorder it's just a different brain. In my opinion normal people have by the same definitie a disorder. luckily i'm not that short sighted its a matter of perpective.

I'v done this test online (aspie quiz) i can't post any links yet so google is your friend.

Aspie score 174 op 200

Neurotypical (non autistic) Score 27 op 200

21 - 30 of 30 Posts