Personality Cafe banner

Is ignorance bliss?

[INTP] 
3K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  Rogue Eagle 
#1 ·
I am becoming more and more convinced that it is indeed, despite the fact that I can't imagine living without the knowledge and understanding I have accumulated so far. Is it possible that in some cases it's better to be completely unaware? Conversely, shall the truth invariably "set one free"?

Thoughts and observations would be much appreciated.

#2 ·
Interesting post you have here. In my opinion, ignorance can be blissful for INTPs specifically because we're mystified about how and why the world is the way it is. This may explain why we were so energized and happy as children as we were more ignorant back then. Conversely, ignorance can lead to stress for us. If we fail to understand how to interact with other people given our limited interpersonal skills, then it can be a struggle for us. There are more examples but ignorance has its wonders and its drawbacks.
For INTPs, it's healthy to have a medium level of ignorance relating to nature as should not create personal conflict with people and will continue to engage and excite our minds as long as our lives last. Thank you for posting this thread.

#9 ·
Ignorance is bliss as long as you aren't aware of your ignorance. How can I be upset about not knowing something if I didn't even realize I didn't know it? It makes the world much smaller than it really is and makes it so that it's easier to understand, or at least think you understand, everything. I'm not saying that it's good in general, but yeah I could be happy in ignorance.

#14 ·
Ignorance is bliss as long as you aren't aware of your ignorance.
This could be it. Ignorance of ignorance in a sense. Doubt causes stress and doubt is (partially) caused by not knowing what to do which can be caused by the perception of many viable options. Someone who is ignorant never has to challenge their beliefs as they aren't aware of any contradictory ones, or at least doesn't take them seriously. This reduces a major area of stress for them; their is no 'existential anxiety'.

But I could be wrong.

#12 ·
is ignorance bliss? maybe. but that still doesn't mean i want it.
then again, i'm a masochist.

#13 ·
I am terrified of ignorance and everything I do not know, which may be why I am, as of yet, a very stubborn atheist who has already burned through five Bibles (New World, Zarovan, etcetera) and three pamplets on Bible study. If only I knew Hebrew, and could access the Dead Sea Scrolls! Everything would be much clearer!

Of course, I was quite happier without this knowledge, but depression, if it comes with knowledge, is something I carry willingly. The old adage is true, though. "Knowledge is power." :wink:

Reactions: Oryx
#15 ·
Ignorance of ignorance in a sense.
Yeah I think Donald Rumsfeld coined the term "Unknown unknowns". I always kind of liked that term actually.

#16 ·
While knowledge is power and generally any sane person would opt for more knowledge.

Ignorance is bliss certainly has its place. I think if one person knew everything they'd become depressed (hypothetically speaking).

For the agnostics out there, wouldn't you rather entertain the thought of the afterlife than perhaps 'knowing' there was nothing after death.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.