Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
I didn't watch the video because I don't have the time right now, but my honest opinion on this is "sometimes!"

It's an N thing. Our (NFJs) flavor of abstractness (Ni) is very different from that of NFPs (Ne). Ours is weirder. I'd almost go so far as to say "crazier." At least in terms of how it works. It seems to almost never be consciously controllable and when it strikes, it strikes profoundly and deeply. NFPs (especially ENFPs, because Ne is their dominant function) tend to jump sporadically from one abstract idea to the next and can typically talk about it with ease. We typically do the opposite, which is to dwell on an abstract thought or concept until it "clicks." I've always had a hard time talking about these abstract things until they "click" fully.

When I was in high school, everyone thought I was a stoner, even though I had never touched drugs once in my life (At that time, anyway...). Ni has a very stoner-esque abstractness to it. I think that's the best way to put it.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Start at 0:58

The "Most" ? I think you have to equally say all the dominant N's could win in their own right. There would have to be some reason Ni would win over Ne and why Fe would win over Te. Plus we'd need to look at the definition of "abstract" in a MBTI sense. Your equal competitors are ENFP, ENTP, INTJ, all with dominant N. Unless you find a definition of abstract the defines your Ni-Fe in a different way.

If you're talking about N-strength alone, or the abilities of the intuitive person, then you have to look at each individual dominant N. Look basically at how does that individual use their N? I don't see why the brilliant ENTP woman I met last week with voracious curiosity and vast connections in arranging data of all sorts in her consulting firm wouldn't win or equal a INFJ who is able to predict trends and data in 1 field. Both use their ability to connect data every day in tangible ways that can be judged by the world. As does my Ne for what I do.

·
Registered
INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so
2,600 Posts
INFJs are quite abstract thinkers. I think intuitives in general have the ability to think abstract. To the extent that this is getting at, NFs tend to express it in a certain way. It's all part of seeing the big picture. xNFPs think abstractly about multiple ideas expansively and simultaneously while we focus on one thing. XNFPs tend to give a lot of information from their abstract ways of thinking when they are speaking. It can be hard to follow to a Ni user. The intuition of an INFJ is more focused on one thing at a time. It's a Ni thing to question the world and think of it in different ways but we take it in one thing at a time. There is a certain ability to read in-between the lines that goes with this.

Reactions: odinthor

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Isn't intuition all about abstraction by definition?

Reactions: Llyralen

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts
Yep. You guys are the absolute best at being abstract. No one comes even close to achieving the amount of abstraction of the INFJ. Also, anyone else who leads with Ni can't be abstract because - [irrational justification]. Plus, people who lead with Ne can't be abstract either. And don't get me started on those S types. Can't abstract worth anything. Nothing to them makes sense unless they can touch it. It has been rumored that abstractions might even be responsible for S types entering comas. :dry:

----------

I know you're talking about what is mentioned in the video. I don't agree with it, obviously.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
@brightflashes No INFJ here on this thread claimed that INFJs are the most abstractly thinking type of people. You are being passive aggressive for no reason.

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts
@brightflashes No INFJ here on this thread claimed that INFJs are the most abstractly thinking type of people. You are being passive aggressive for no reason.
It was meant to be taken as a joke. That's why I used the "dry" emoticon, to communicate my sarcasm. Sorry if that upset you, but that was definitely not my intention. I wasn't attacking INFJs, I was attacking the idea presented in the video.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
It was meant to be taken as a joke. That's why I used the "dry" emoticon, to communicate my sarcasm. Sorry if that upset you, but that was definitely not my intention. I wasn't attacking INFJs, I was attacking the idea presented in the video.
Okay :blushed:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I've just watched the relevant clip, and the reference should begin a bit earlier at 1:52 "In questions of philosophy or matters of principle, the INFJ tends to be the most abstract minded of all types..". I'm not sure this is a compliment. Whether or not it is true is another matter. I would think that Ni combined with Ti is perhaps more inclined to dwell on the abstract than Ni and Te, because Te is driven towards practical execution quicker than Ti. But in answer to the OP's question, no, I don't think INFJs are the 'most abstractly thinking type of people' and I agree with what has already been said about abstract thinking, in general, being the forte of dominant intuitive people, whether introverted or extroverted.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I know you're not supposed to tout your own corner, but I'd say us ENFPs are at least close seconds..

I agree INFJs are the only type I've ever felt out-intuitioned in on the subject of social awareness, but Ne also does work differently in that it processes things faster.. So it would depend on the familiarity of the subject- Ne would be better at spinning new webs faster, but INFJs certainly have more depth. I think that's part of why Ne-doms and Ni-doms are impressed with each other- Ne-doms are impressed with the developed layers of perception of Ni's, and probably Ni's are impressed by the speed of perception of Ne's.

I definitely notice a lag period with INFJs I've personally known with new information, where I'm instantly firing at nearly full ability within 0.1seconds, and they take a while to get to terms with it, but then when they do assimilate those notions, they do so at a level of solidity and depth that I'm simply not comfortable nor capable of maintaining before I lose interest.

In the long run, I guess if you have to pick, you'd pick INFJ though sure.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
On some level I can see this. internal N with F would make an idea pretty all encompassing... at least based on the idea of mbti.

But I'm actually of the opinion that S types can in principle be just as abstract, they just derive it from a different source. Maybe defining "abstractly thinking" and its opposite is a good idea.

Reactions: brightflashes
1 - 12 of 12 Posts