Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Facebook, I asked my friends about their MBTI type. Most of my friends are INFP while I am a ESFJ. I'm still learning about the types connection (as I'm now starting to really study MBTI more) so this is interested me. Do INFPs and ESFJs really do get along in general? Personal experience, my best friend is INFP and most of the people I admire have been typed as INFP.

·
Registered
9,816 Posts
Most of them... ?

I don't think they are INFP's but i think they are just people who want to be INFP's..

And the answer is yes: Everyone can be your friend, regardless of someone's type however it will be way more difficult to understand each other.

Reactions: Pinkieshyrose

·
Registered
400 Posts
Ooh yes, I believe it could make for a really wonderful friendship!! ( ´͈ ◡ `͈ )

Not an INFP myself, but my boyfriend is, and all of his relationships were with FJ types of some sort - he really does fancy the Fe-Ti pairing, whether he realizes it or not! Even his closest friends are too, it is a bit curious to think on how he always seems to bump into these types without trying, maybe there's just such a strong pull we don't notice but can't help but submit to~

For a while, we both believed I was ESFJ, for how openly emotional and bubbly I can be at times. I know he really loves that in a person, when they show their genuine feelings and thoughts, he values it a lot and I'm sure as an Fe-dom, you can be plenty expressive of everything you're experiencing! I know that Dreamers can be quite shy and need some coaxing out of their shell, and you have the perfect personality when it comes to making others feel at home with you, it's really no wonder that so many INFPs are your friend, they must love the kind of person that you are, and how you make them feel! <3

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have an ESFJ friend! We're VERY different and have conflicting views on many things, but generally she brings out a good side to me that other people don't, and vice versa it seems. The main things I don't particularly like about her is that she can be very two-faced and has no problem telling me how I can be "better" which is sort of irritating. She's really motivating and inspires me to be happier and more optimistic. She's cool, I like her a lot :)

Reactions: lc1241

·
Registered
526 Posts
On Facebook, I asked my friends about their MBTI type. Most of my friends are INFP while I am a ESFJ. I'm still learning about the types connection (as I'm now starting to really study MBTI more) so this is interested me. Do INFPs and ESFJs really do get along in general? Personal experience, my best friend is INFP and most of the people I admire have been typed as INFP.
One of my closest friends is an ESFJ. We have a very good relationship and have been friends for years. Other ESFJs I've met have been pretty cool as well and I've found I usually will at least enjoy them a bit if I don't completely get along with them. Of course any type when healthy can be quite enjoyable, but I think even still some types tend to be more enjoyable for me than others on average, such as ESFJs for me.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've had far better friendships with ESFJs than I have had with ENFJs. I think the INFP-ESFJ friendship compatibility is often sorely overlooked because of the Sensor hatred in the MBTI community.

There are ESFJs I don't get along with with - this brand of ESFJ does not appreciate INFPs and often doesn't 'understand' us and at times unknowingly belittles us (many times not even intentionally). The other type of ESFJ appreciates INFPs and their weirdness even if they may at times think are heads are up in the clouds.

Reactions: lc1241

·
Registered
INFP 5w6
1,309 Posts
Have 2 ESFJ's as close friends for 10 years, we make a good trio for these reasons.

Ne galore all the time, we can make a joke out of anything. With their domineering extroversion and Ti they tend to cover me in areas i lack, like in social situations they fill my silence and help direct conversion flow and move onto activities, while i sometimes leave cues idle. It gives a feeling of being looked after and supported.

I think in return i inject a sense of carefree-ingenuousness (passion) to situations which lets everyone feed off freely, though thanks to them they create the conditions for me to do that.

Some downsides.

I'm completely open with them when sometimes they are not with me, which is frustrating at times.
They can treat you differently in groups, like not respond to something you say like they usually do.
They can be weirded out by us sometimes, leading to misunderstanding.
They are too simple at times, and we're to 'heavy' at times.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had far better friendships with ESFJs than I have had with ENFJs. I think the INFP-ESFJ friendship compatibility is often sorely overlooked because of the Sensor hatred in the MBTI community.

There are ESFJs I don't get along with with - this brand of ESFJ does not appreciate INFPs and often doesn't 'understand' us and at times unknowingly belittles us (many times not even intentionally). The other type of ESFJ appreciates INFPs and their weirdness even if they may at times think are heads are up in the clouds.
I recently heard about there are being two different types of "said type". Ex: ESFJ-A and ESFJ-T. Is that the case?

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
In response to your original question, my wife of 27 years is an ESFJ. My mother is probably an ESFJ (though that is not verified). I have a casual friend who is a verified ESFJ. There have been other people in my life whom I would speculate are ESFJ. Some of them I got along with and others grated on me.

There are times when my wife and I don't see things the same way, don't share interests, or even get on each other's nerves. The same could be said of any other person I have known. I think the biggest things that makes things work are a sharing of some key core values and faith.

I recently heard about there are being two different types of "said type". Ex: ESFJ-A and ESFJ-T. Is that the case?
I am unfamiliar with that. I don't recognize it as being part of the formal Myers-Briggs types.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I am unfamiliar with that. I don't recognize it as being part of the formal Myers-Briggs types.
Yeah, the types are further categorized into T and A - Turbulent and Assertive.

From the 16personalities site:

Assertive (-A) individuals are self-assured, even-tempered and resistant to stress. They refuse to worry too much and do not push themselves too hard when it comes to achieving goals.

Turbulent (-T) individuals are self-conscious and sensitive to stress. They are likely to experience a wide range of emotions and to be success-driven, perfectionistic and eager to improve.

I don't think this is talked about too much, it just adds a bit more colour. I am INFP-T.

To answer the question, I have a good online friend who is almost certainly either ESFJ or ISFJ. When I got her to do the test, she got ISFJ but she said she has gotten a different type previously, and I think it was ESFJ. I think both seem to suit her in ways. I did assume her to be an extroverted type when I asked her to do the test because that's how she always seemed to me.

I always felt like she got me to see things differently - she seemed to have a habit of opening me up in some ways just because she always seemed so open about things herself. So we have a good friendship, but we don't relate 100%, possibly because of the Sensor-Intuitive conflict.

·
Registered
9,816 Posts
Ow i thought you were talking about INFP-ESTJ (completely different). I think it would nearly impossible. INFP-ESFJ would be different. I don't have enough experience about it. Or mayba - after some thinking - i do have some experience. I was in a class with i think mostly ESFJ-girls. (i was on a "nurse" school -> but it wasn't the right direction for me) Worked well, felt myself very good. And that wasn't in every class the case. (probably because it were woman, that were all F-ish.). I think it works fine for friendships. But none of them were intense. Too superficial.

And actually, i have a good ESTJ friend (female). But we're very different.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have an ESFJ friend and although I don't see her much when I do we get on really well! Even though you'd think S and N would clash too much and make conversation difficult, the fact we are both F-Dom means we actually see a lot of things in a similar way. And her Fe-Dom compliments my Fi-Dom.

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
I know quite a few ESFJs and a suspected ISFJ (and one confirmed ISFJ). Get along with 99% of them, and the other can be a little annoying (in-law). But that's more due to being 100% on the E end of the spectrum (silence? That's awful KILL IT WITH FIRE).

Fe-Fi is an interesting interaction. I find when I don't care about things, but want to hang out with a Fe user, I let them lead. As long as they respect when I refuse to do something. I also think it's important to individualize the Fe user a little bit. What I mean by that is make sure they aren't 100% group focused, ask how they individually are doing. I say this because of experience with my wife (ENFJ). She's so group focused that she ignores her individual needs.

·
Registered
62 Posts
In the long run when the real traits of an esfj shows up, I don't like them one bit. I am yet to meet a proper esfj. I olays try to retain a superficial relationship with the esfj's I now know because I know the limits beyond which we are going to tear each other apart. There is soemthing in the esfj's that kill the life in me. They say we are supposed not to be getting along with the estj's, but I have had far much better relationships with the estj's

·
Banned
4,187 Posts
It depends if the ESFJ's values are well aligned with the INFP's values. From my observations and experiences, ESFJs can get extremely 'judgy' in their own way when it comes to 'foreign' cultural/social norms and preferences--like how an outgoing ESFJ might not understand why some people are homebodies (and according to the ESFJ, all homebodies are depressed and/or socially inept people). And another ESFJ might not understand why somebody in their 30s would still live with their extended family because all of the ESFJ's friends are singles who live in sharehouses or have their own apartment spaces.

If you're on the ESFJ's good side and if your values mesh well, you'll get a loyal friend who's likely to go out on a limb to help you. If not, there's a chance you'll be gossiped about and/or treated as a social pariah if a particular ESFJ doesn't like you for some reason. Not all ESFJs are 'evil' like this, but the unhealthier ones tend to go down this route.

·
Banned
INFP 9w1 sp/so
2,470 Posts
Doesn't look as though OP is around anymore but I guess for new readers, it's entirely dependent on you and what sort of friends you want, what kind of company you enjoy. But as I try to stress in every thread like this, all people who are ESFJ's are different people and all people who are INFP's are different people. It'll vary completely from person to person, as will whether or not you get along with particular INFPs or ESFJs. Can't tar or butter everyone with the same feather, that ain't how peoples work. This'll sound like common sense to hopefully most of you but there are a lot of people who see MBTI types as templates for an entire human being and people are so much more complex than that, frens.

Reactions: Cherry

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Me and xSFJs of both E and I variety usually get along great! :happy:

I usually find them fun, supportive, and intelligent/talented in ways I'm not.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts