Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Is intuition a subconscious activity?Is intuition controllable?

2. What about dreams? Assuming the things we see in dreams as the result of subconscious work, can we say that dreams are the subconscious intuition?
What are the similarities/dissimilarities of intuition and dreams?

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
These questions don't make any sense.
Which is ironic if you think about it, well not YOU, someone who knows what intuition.
So... here:

Intuition: Introduction

I like that explanation.

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
My theory is that someone who easily has intuition knows how to pick up signals from their subconscious more easily. So pretty much everyone gets the same information, the subconscious has got it all, it's just that those who are more open to their subconscious can sense the answer their subconscious was giving them all along. Now, if you interpret it incorrectly, you will probably have troubles then. But if you interpret it correctly it will be like hitting a gold mine.

I think of it kind of like a radio frequency. Your subconscious is sending you a bunch of signals. If you are on the right frequency, you pick it up, and that is intuition. Those that do not know how to get to that frequency would therefore not receive this signal, and would not have this 'intuition.'

As for dreams...well, in dreams your subconscious is given more free reign. I suppose if you knew how to interpret your dreams -- intuition, again -- you may have more answers to the questions you seek.

Just as a side note, in disciplines like advertising, especially visual advertising, the importance of the subconscious suddenly becomes all-too-clear.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
dreams can be interpreted a stupidly various amount of ways. some people view them as hallucinations, some people view them as your subconscious having free reign over your conscious, i view them as the soul temporarily leaving the body to go visit other planes of existence.

but when it comes to intuition, from a psychological standpoint, there are indeed many explanations that would label intuition or a humans "6th sense" or their "gut feeling" as a subconsciously influenced behavior. There are even some portions of the brain that govern that aspect of your mind.

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
Intuition is seeing patters, rather than the details that make them up. Since one is only subconsciously aware of the details, and the details form the patterns, the subconscious plays a large role in collating the information. But interacting with and manipulating and analysing the patterns is all conscious. If one sees the details and has only a subconscious awareness of patterns & connections, rather than seeing them outright, that could equally well be called subconscious. I don't find intuition to be any more subconscious than anything else. I suspect, though, the "magical" air is enhanced in those who do not have it dominant and do not use it as a major tool, as the dominant driving force of their thought. It is also not very concrete, so its processes are easier to dismiss.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wikipedia also defines intuition in two ways similar to your replies: 1. In psychology and personality assessment 2. Spirituality

In psychology and personality assessment: "The intuition is the pattern-matching process that quickly suggests feasible courses of action. The analysis is the mental simulation, a conscious and deliberate review of the courses of action."

To analyze things consciously, we have to focus our attention, make an effort to organize facts and ideas and make comparisons. But intuition seems like a detection tool which gives immediate answer, without consciousness direction, so it's a pure subconscious activity. What else could it be?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Unconscious=/=Subconscious, guys. Just because you're not aware of what's goin' on in your noggin' when you make those connections does NOT make it a subconscious process.

Seriously. :\

·
Registered
105 Posts
Also, beware of confusing the terms. Intuition as it's known colloquially is not the same as typology intuition. The former, everyone has. Typology intuition is just how one interprets sensory data and perceptions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts