Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
(ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious to see what others think about this...

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
i half do-i mean i look at the security camera at stores-i look super suspicous, so maybe i think they accuse me-never happened though. on the other hand i'm always paranoid about bandits and stuff so i feel safer when i see an officer or walk by the station

Reactions: mynameiuse

·
Registered
474 Posts
It's always funny to me how many people "hate" police officers, but whenever people are in the slightest bit of danger the very first person they call or would call is the police. People depend on the police more than anybody else including their own friends and family to save them.

Obviously there are some police officers that are jerks, but there's jerks in every line of work.

A lot of police officers get killed in the city I live in.. two just got killed this past Tuesday. I will always have admiration for *most* of them. I think for them to wake up everyday and potentially put their life at risk is very selfless. If I never lived in the city, but lived in the country or suburbs where crime is considerably lower I might not have that same admiration for them. I still wouldn't hate them though.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Its a problem with authorities in general. Very much an INFP feature if you ask me. There is a great deal in moral satisfaction to be had in bashing the state and its mindless minions.

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
It depends on the kind of police officer, although most of them represent something that I find distasteful: the enforcement of many unnecessary laws that restrict my personal freedom in ways that shouldn't be anyone else's business.

I have had both good and bad experiences with the police.

Good experiences:
On at least three occasions, I have been offered rides by concerned officers.

1.Once was when a friend's car broke down, back when we were in college. We were stranded without a phone, and a police officer gave us a ride back to the school.

2.Once was when I got stranded in the snow in the middle of the night,when I was living in the mountains, and the concerned officer actually tracked me by my footprints in order to make sure I was safe.

3.Once was when I was out walking for miles and miles without any destination in mind, and the officer thought I might be lost. I didn't take him up on his ride offer, but it was nice of him to worry about me.

Some of them genuinely care about people. During the second ride, with the one who rescued me on the snowy night, I was able to have a long conversation about his reasons for choosing that profession, and he said that it was because he felt that it was where he had the greatest potential to help people. He had it in his nature to be protective of others, and was obviously an idealist.

Then there are the ones who are only in it for the power, or the ones who are incompetent.

When I was in Portland, a violent meth-addicted ex-roommate broke into my apartment while I was there, by smashing through a reinforced window with a two-by-four. As he was pounding at the glass, I quietly hid in the kitchen and called the police, because I wasn't sure if he was going to kill me once he got in, or if running away would do any good. As he got closer to breaking through, I hung up so he wouldn't know I had called them. I wanted him to think that someone else had seen him, so I wouldn't be blamed. They took their time getting there, which is expected because of how much crime there was in the area. By the time they made it, my ex-roommate had gotten in and was behaving in a threatening manner. The knock at the door came just in time. Just before I opened the door for the police, the ex-roommate cut open the back of my couch and was hiding in it. Before climbing inside of the couch, he was whispering threats and told me not to say anything to the cops. They stood at the door and the first thing they asked was, "Is he still here?" to which I responded with a lie, knowing I would be overheard, and that it was extremely dangerous to tell the police anything around someone whose friends were known to gut people with knives for less. I attempted to signal the police nonverbally, nodding while I said no, and pointing, to reveal his location. They didn't catch on. I had to walk out into the hallway to avoid being overheard. That was when I told them that he was hiding in the couch, and that I was afraid of talking to them in front of him because he was dangerous. By the time we got back to the room, he was gone again. The police saw where the couch had been cut, and where the window had been broken, but saw no sign of my ex-roommate. He faced no consequences because they had let him escape.

Worse horror stories about the Portland police, which I am sure were true because they were told to me by honest friends, include tales of people being busted with a bag of pot and told that they had a choice between letting the cops beat them up, or going to jail. When they selected the beating, they were beaten, then taken to jail anyhow. This happened to no fewer than three of my friends, who didn't stay in jail for very long, but still felt betrayed.

They were also known to beat up homeless people for sleeping on benches or in doorways, which happened to one of my friends.

I heard that they would also sometimes handcuff female runaways and rape them, knowing their authority would make them unlikely to suffer any consequences. This happened to a friend of a friend.

Newspapers showed several stories about Portland police killing people who weren't armed, and the ones they most frequently targeted were the mentally ill, regardless of age. They killed one mentally ill teenager whose mother had called them to control him while he was having a temper tantrum, and shot another teen who was running around naked and obviously had no hidden weapons on him. These were both white kids, but usually they were more likely to shoot if the person they were after was black, regardless of gender or age, and because this was publicly known, many people of all races held protests over it.

One of my friends, who was a friendly giant of a man, said that he was still traumatized by an encounter with the police. It happened when he was just doing his usual thing, digging through trash cans for soda cans to sell back to the stores, which was how he earned his living, and for no apparent reason they freaked out on him, pointed a gun at his head, and were quite hostile with him. He says that he thinks they must have mistaken him for someone else, but I'm not so sure. The Portland police have a bad reputation of messing with the poor for sadistic purposes.

I feel ambivalent about police, because there are times when they are necessary or useful. More often, they are unpredictable and make me feel anxious. I don't trust them until I know them personally, as with anyone else.

I feel like I have to hide myself from them in most ways, though, and am cautious of what I say around them, just in case I accidentally admit to doing something I didn't know was illegal, or something that I know is illegal but don't think of as important.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It's a touchy issue for me. I don't like authority at all. Police should be protectors rather than authoritarians. Unfortunately we're becoming more like a Big Brother society, so their role as protectors is shifting towards an authoritarian role. I have huge respect-and completely acknowledge their necessity-for those police who do their job as protectors of us innocent, squishy people. :crazy:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Ehh... most of the police I've witnessed seem to be just people who crave power, they like to be able to boss people around, it's "fun" for them. They kill/harass more people who don't deserve to die/be harassed than you know... it's just not headline news most times. The police, media, government, etc... are all ran by the same people, they can cover up what they want anytime they want for whatever reason. To me police aren't any better than a mob...

People don't kill police officers because they hate them, they kill them because they're scared of them, for their life... I don't hate police, but I definitely don't trust them. I might call them when I have no other option in an emergency situation, but I don't depend on them... they're helpful but so is buying a gun yourself.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I must not be an INFP..

I thought about how people hate the Police the other day since our college officers are actual Police men not like security guards. To me they're normal people who are doing the job they chose to do,
I find it funny how people hate the police for doing their job which really IS a respectable job to have,yet when it comes to say firefighters no one is saying 'fuck the firefighters' which really is another respectable job to have,and in a way are the same thing. I just have never understood the FUCK OFF police attitude and most of the time the reason why people have it is because of 'bad' expierence with them,which really boils down to you getting caught for something you should NOT of been doing in the first place,that's your fucking fault,and they did their job get over it.

I'm NOT saying ALL of them are these amazing people you should look up to or anything,because Humans are flawed. Like I said a firefighter who is seen as really respected could be actually a pedophile and no one know it.I am saying it's a respectable job to have and most are doing just that their JOB.

4,757 Posts
I'm indifferent/don't have a strong opinions I guess. I have heard both negative and positive experiences people have had with the police and, well, it all depends on who the particular police officer is.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I agree with Mina's sentiments for the most part. I do often break the laws I find silly and archaic and do my best to avoid the police at all costs, but I fully recognize they have a job to do and rules from above to carry out, and since I've paid my share of taxes I want them to do it in a reasonable and efficient manor. As much as I hate being told what to do or forced into anything, I'm fairly sure I'd wind up hating total anarchy more.

What I strongly dislike is the percentage of the population, including corporations, who decide their morality, values and anxieties should be everyone else's and manipulate the goverment to carry their wishes out with monetary or religious based pressures, something I don't feel is a true democracy. I know from recent local polls that many levels of law enforcement would like to see several gray area laws be abolished and they've come to these conclusions based on both street and court experiences, as well as being true to their own values and sense of right and wrong.

·
exploring space
9,706 Posts
I don't really like the police yes, especially in my country they don't have a really good reputation. Not all of them have done bad things of course, but the "good" ones don't do anything to make things better.
I also don't like the profession in general, I just don't get it why they want to be told what to do and they do it blindly even if they don't want it, what kind of people are they? It bothers me really I just don't get it...they are probably righ-wing or even nationalists, the way they treat people at protests spraying gas on their faces is horrible. And the rest of them who aren't there don't look down upon actions like that.
I try to avoid them in general... but of course sometimes we are going to need them since it's the way the society works, it's a bad argument to say that "ohh you hate them but when they steal from you you need them" well of course what are you going to do, that's how society works and that's what some people want to change. No one says that police shouldn't exist in the society we have today...

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Me and the po-po are likethis. We coo. :cool: .... unless I'm walking in a suburban neighborhood...at night...with a ski mask on...NOT on Halloween.
i wear a ski mask(well actually i call it a a balackalva) all winter, it's like minus 25 celicus out there it keeps me head wear but i feel so judged in it especially in the 5 seconds it takes to to take it off when i go into a store

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
It's always funny to me how many people "hate" police officers, but whenever people are in the slightest bit of danger the very first person they call or would call is the police. People depend on the police more than anybody else including their own friends and family to save them.

Obviously there are some police officers that are jerks, but there's jerks in every line of work.

A lot of police officers get killed in the city I live in.. two just got killed this past Tuesday. I will always have admiration for *most* of them. I think for them to wake up everyday and potentially put their life at risk is very selfless. If I never lived in the city, but lived in the country or suburbs where crime is considerably lower I might not have that same admiration for them. I still wouldn't hate them though.
They definitely do put their life in danger for other people and i respect that a lot. But i also think a lot of police officers look down on everyone else, and i think most of them are in the field because they get a badge that basically tells them they are more important than everyone else. Some might be in the business to protect others, but the police department is generally full of arrogant pricks.

I guess the question is if my house is getting robbed, would i rather an arrogant prick of an officer come or a sensitive feeling officer? I'd choose the arrogant prick every time, but i wont take him out for a bite to eat after.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I find it funny when people say things like 'well they can be assholes' Well so can a cashier,so can a secretary,so can a doctor,so can a dentist,so can a teacher get my point?
We have bad days and we put up with a lot of shit especially police officers
could you imagine having to deal with as many ignorant people as they deal with in a day?
Could you imagine dealing with all the violence they deal with?
Dealing with the domestic calls?
Dealing with over-rebelious teenagers with a I'm above the law attitude they deal with?
Dealing with drunks,and druggies?

·
Banned
2,025 Posts
Too many good threads, too little time.

I dislike cops. I've met too many bad ones. My suspicion is that it's not just their dominance and rudeness (very non-NF) that gets to many of us (and other people) - it's also the intrusion into personal space. That being said, the world needs cops; imagine how much better it would be with better cops.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I'm going into policing myself and I have spoken with a number of current officers and up and coming ones (note this is Canada).

Personally, I don't like the mentality of most of them. Even the way the recruiting program works for policing annoys me. I remember going to a career fare after already knowing a lot about policing. The crap a recruiting officer spewed to me about police work was such garbage. It would easily attract thrillseekers and what happens to thrillseekers when the reality of the job sets in? Lots of paper work, basic patrol, going to "trivial" calls.

There's 3 types of cops in my eyes,
1 - The depressed one that came in with good intentions and tried to change the policing system and failed. Now he/she reminds you of a sickly deer.

2. The powertrip type that know you have to kiss up to him. He'll likely also have the most bizarre sexual fetishes. -- (These are the ones that usually beat people, act too hastily).

3. The one that comes in with good intentions that is either a rookie in training (usually by one of the above) or is simply a cop with incredibly strong morals. Unfortunately, this cop will likely not get promoted and you will rarely see him/her.

In the end, I learned that a lot of jobs ie: paramedics, psychologists, police, and a number of other related jobs. Will often see the worst things in life and, in essence, become virtually disease ridden by it. It's ironic that the people that are meant to help you are probably the ones that need help, and are often more dangerous than the people they lock up.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts