Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Calm down before you start bashing me!

Now, I'm in the understanding that there have been a lot of threads and people that think of Sensors as simple and stupid people who can't think...Or something of the like. I'm sorry if mine seems like another one of those, but I don't mean to say you guys are stupid, definitely not!

But sometimes you guys frustrate me caus I always feel like you're missing the point. Like I'm always waiting for the conversation to lead onto the actual matter, but you think it already has. And it annoys me when sensors don't take certain things seriously. Like strange enough all the sensor topics are sort of incoherent and sarcastic. Like I'll have to skim 10 pages to find a few good answers, while on the N threads already the first page is full of precise lists to answer the question on the title haha! And honestly, I'm making this thread because I'm hoping that someone will come and make me believe that you guys have depth and deeper understanding of things, because that's what I want to believe...

Seriously, I'm really really sorry if I come off as rude, but really I'm just desperate to understand you people. I know that being S does not have anything to do with intelligence or anything like that though... I'm not even sure what my point is... Oh dear.

Do you guys think of yourselves as complex or simple (not stupid, more like you have an uhh easy personality with not as many layers)? ED// My ESTJ boyfriend actually said that he's not too complex..? But I guess that might not have anything to do with type, or? D: Do you understand the N way of thinking at all? To me it sometimes seems like you guys don't delve too deep into things, like you're just living on the surface. Please don't hate me *meep* :blushed:

ED// Obviously all Sensors are different too. I realize that as well. :confused:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Imagine an oval racetrack.. Picture the surroundings. Bleachers, maybe a drinking fountain, a maintenance shack. You know?

Now imagine we start from the exact same point, however we run in the opposite direction. When I pass those bleachers, fountain and shack I see them from a different angles than you. You see the right wall, I see the left. You can see the left,, But you have to turn your head and risk tripping because you are no longer looking in the natural direction of your course.
We have covered the same ground during our lap..I started with the sun in my eyes you ended with the sun in your eyes.. You saw a couple kissing under the bleachers who were hidden from me.. I saw some graffiti on the shack wall you missed because of our different perception points.
We still covered the same ground.. We just don't have 360 vision..
Instead we have slants and angles.. Tunnel vision for certain details and the direction we travel changes everything.
But did you notice we started and ended up at the same spot? But even then we were seeing in the opposite direction.
Tell me what you saw.. It's chronologically and perceptional reversed from what I saw but we are both accurate, just limited, and not seeing the whole picture.
Does it matter who ran faster then?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Imagine an oval racetrack.. Picture the surroundings. Bleachers, maybe a drinking fountain, a maintenance shack. You know?

Now imagine we start from the exact same point, however we run in the opposite direction. When I pass those bleachers, fountain and shack I see them from a different angles than you. You see the right wall, I see the left. You can see the left,, But you have to turn your head and risk tripping because you are no longer looking in the natural direction of your course.
We have covered the same ground during our lap..I started with the sun in my eyes you ended with the sun in your eyes.. You saw a couple kissing under the bleachers who were hidden from me.. I saw some graffiti on the shack wall you missed because of our different perception points.
We still covered the same ground.. We just don't have 360 vision..
Instead we have slants and angles.. Tunnel vision for certain details and the direction we travel changes everything.
But did you notice we started and ended up at the same spot? But even then we were seeing in the opposite direction.
Tell me what you saw.. It's chronologically and perceptional reversed from what I saw but we are both accurate, just limited, and not seeing the whole picture.
Does it matter who ran faster then?
Thanks for the insight, I love your analogy. :)

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
@Tenshi - Well, I think it's important to note that every single personality is layered. Every single person is. I actually don't use words such as "deep" or "shallow" or "complex" or "simple" (not that I think simple = shallow or anything), because every person is deep and complex. All that shallow means is that somebody is immature, basically. Complex is just a word saying that somebody comes across as many layered, and it is very apparent. Simple is a word saying that somebody appears apparently easily understood. Because Sensors have this stereotype that they are all practical, people call them simple. They are not often described as "dreamers" or "idealists", and I think this causes people to start referring to them as simple -- because they seem practical and that seems to be pretty much it.

There's plenty of brilliant, deep, and complex Sensors on this site. ^^ Don't be too surprised if this thread is met with some groans, rolling of eyes, etc. There is an unfortunately large amount of fail information on personality types. Sensors, even more specifically SJs, are met with the worst of all that. It does get tiring after a while. This is also a reason why many people mistype as Intuitives.

Like I've mentioned before, there's the strange misconception that Intuitives can understand Sensors (but dislike that they seem to stick to Sensor-ish topics which rarely seem to touch on the theoretical or philosophical), but Sensors have a harder time comprehending Intuitives (because Intuitives are oh so abstract and all that jazz). It's not true.

·
Registered
168 Posts
S/N is not a homogenous divide.

There are individuals, and more importantly, cognitive functions. All Sensors can't possibly be fit under one umbrella. Everyone uses Sensing, and especially in the case of Sensors, different kinds of Sensing in different orders alongside with different kinds of functions. It's true that for example dom/aux Se users are known for living in the moment, but you shouldn't mistake that with superficiality or never delving deeper into things. The S/N difference is never as simple as you make it seem, and the groups can't be split only in two. Neither can you hold different functions over others; it's all only about how you process information, nothing else. Julia Bell and Arclight already explained these things in a great, much more enlightening way.

I suggest you check out this discussion: Intuitives are complex, sensors are simple
It did end up being 26 pages long, but very revealing.

You seem like a very nice person, but these threads start getting tiring after a while. I have been on this forum for less than six months, and have had to witness the same thing being brought up again for countless times. It never ends.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Every type has both S and N functions, people do realize that right? It's not an either or thing. If you didn't have an S function you would not be able to tell what something is or is not. If you didn't have an N function you would not be able to have any understanding of foresight or understand things which were not spelled out to you. You need both to function. That's why we have both.

·
Registered
417 Posts
@Tenshi.......I totally understand your frustration, where your coming from, and the point your trying to make.....While I do understand that nobody is one sole function in it's entirety, and within those functions, some are more reliant on different functions than others....it does appear that most sensors seem to dread and labor over things that are/seem superficial and essentially irrelevant - and it could be exhausting when they expect an you to exert an equal amount of energy on those matters....
But not all sensors are this way......

Reactions: TwitchdelaBRAT

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
@Arclight

Its a great analogy, but very few people truly finishes the race as individuation is a long process. Instead, its more like two people jogging at the same pace on threads or 'trails'. One faces the forward direction and points out the beaten path. The other faces the other direction and remarks on paths not taken. Eventually, the roles reverse a bit later in life.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
Unless you're talking about people here I think you're probably guilty of typing people who are guilty of the things you described as sensors and probably mistyping some smart sensors as intuitives(not to mention the smart sensors who actually mistype as intuitives because of poorly designed tests).

I do know what you mean about the communication gap and especially people who tell a story that you think will be leading somewhere else and they make their "point", without you realizing it. Because they had no real point, lol.

But I don't encounter this with most people and most people are sensors.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sensors arent simple, they just focus on completely different things most of the time. To Ns what they focus on is often shallow or boring BUT its the other way around too! To Ss what Ns focus on is often boring, I think? (not sure here, only Sensors could answer that for sure) But Im sure Ss arent very interested in a lot of N topics either.

So I hate to break it to you guys but there is most definitaly a conversation and perception gap between Sensors and Intuitives. That does not mean one or the other is smarter/dumber though. I just wanted to say that there definatly is a gap, because some people seem to try to deny that.

Also, I think the reason why a lot of INtutives make the mistake to believe they are smarter than Sensors is this: An INtuitive has a broader view on things which most Sensors cant see as readily as most Intuitives. So to an Intuitive the Sensor comes of as narrow minded in those situations. The thing is, Sensors have a better view on details. Now often the N overlooks those details but it can easily be pointed out because its something Concrete. An S points their finger at it and the N sees it with their own eyes and gets it, because its right there. Sensors are in a disadvantage here when an N points out some theoratical broader view object/thing/vision (whatever) because its not right there! See what I mean here? Its just easier for an N to spot the Ss strong points, but for an S its harder to spot an Ns strong point because they are not concrete. So that doesnt make the N smarter.

I think all this stuff against Ss is simply there because Ns are normally in the minority and understandably are fed up by the problems that come from this and dealing with Ss in the real world. Almost my entire family is SJ and I can speak their language, mostly because I grew up with them and learned that way and knowing about types also helped a lot. So yes I do understand them. I know that to them object task comes first before relationships and people. But the sad truth is, they do not understand me. So I can see how that is frustrating for Ns. Im not saying SJs cant understand Ns, but I think only a very small minortiy of SJs ever even trys in the real world. And that is where this frustration with them comes from.

·
Rebel without a cause
2,725 Posts
Calm down before you start bashing me!

Now, I'm in the understanding that there have been a lot of threads and people that think of Sensors as simple and stupid people who can't think...Or something of the like. I'm sorry if mine seems like another one of those, but I don't mean to say you guys are stupid, definitely not!

But sometimes you guys frustrate me caus I always feel like you're missing the point. Like I'm always waiting for the conversation to lead onto the actual matter, but you think it already has. And it annoys me when sensors don't take certain things seriously. Like strange enough all the sensor topics are sort of incoherent and sarcastic. Like I'll have to skim 10 pages to find a few good answers, while on the N threads already the first page is full of precise lists to answer the question on the title haha! And honestly, I'm making this thread because I'm hoping that someone will come and make me believe that you guys have depth and deeper understanding of things, because that's what I want to believe...

Seriously, I'm really really sorry if I come off as rude, but really I'm just desperate to understand you people. I know that being S does not have anything to do with intelligence or anything like that though... I'm not even sure what my point is... Oh dear.

Do you guys think of yourselves as complex or simple (not stupid, more like you have an uhh easy personality with not as many layers)? ED// My ESTJ boyfriend actually said that he's not too complex..? But I guess that might not have anything to do with type, or? D: Do you understand the N way of thinking at all? To me it sometimes seems like you guys don't delve too deep into things, like you're just living on the surface. Please don't hate me *meep* :blushed:

ED// Obviously all Sensors are different too. I realize that as well. :confused:
If simple is equal to reading this as "Lots of blablabla, do you Sensors think of yourselves as simple?" then yes, I guess I'm simple. Sarcastic? Through the roof.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
If simple is equal to reading this as "Lots of blablabla, do you Sensors think of yourselves as simple?" then yes, I guess I'm simple. Sarcastic? Through the roof.
Confession time, I did exactly the same thing...

Anyway, I wouldn't say I like things to be simple, I just like to see them as they are. Simplicity in that regard can be nice, but I'm not a simple person. People in general aren't simple. Maybe if you get very close to a sensor IRL and get to know everything about them, you'll see we're not simple in the slightest, we're just us.

·
MOTM June 2011
6,992 Posts
Intuitives, lets be honest, you generally think of yourself as way more deep and complex than you really are.
I wouldn't say it's intuitives as a whole, that's stereotyping. I think that people are drawn to N because it painted in a much better light than S is in most definitions. The people that want to project a certain kind of image of themselves are also more like to talk up their qualities rather than show them. I don't feel those people are confident enough in themselves because they have to TELL people who/how they are rather than letting others discover it for themselves.

To reiterate, I'm not saying that Ns are prone to bragging. That's not to say they're all Ss, but I don't feel they delve into functions to figure out what they really are.

·
ѕησωум¢ѕησωƒα¢є
4,292 Posts
It is certainly common among those whom have never had a deep relationship with someone of that preference.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
@Tenshi, it might help if the next time you get confused by a sensor response or feel like it's leading nowhere, ask (PM is good if you feel like you'd derail the thread) them! You might find out a bit how the sensor mind works, and in learning where your confusion is, the sensor learns too and everybody comes out more knowledgeable for it.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts