Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it a legitimate reason to not get into a relationship with someone or break it off with them because they will be unable to do their part in reproducing(sterile or any other medical reason that would prevent them from reproducing)? What are your thoughts on this?

Reactions: Female INFJ

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Sure i guess.
Love is a tricky thing, works differently for each person. I probably would not break it off but its not irational in any way.

·
Registered
INTP sp/so 9w1 6w5 4w5
5,452 Posts
The couple could adopt...but some people really, really want their own kids. Not getting into a relationship with someone who can't provide them with kids I can see, but once they're together it's a bit more difficult. I would hope it would be something they'd discuss early on.

Personally, if something happened to make me infertile and I were on the receiving end of this, I would question whether the man wanted me or my uterus in the first place. :sad:

Reactions: killerB

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
i'd go "great!" 'cause i don't want kids

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Yeah. When it's not negotiable, it's better to end it as quickly as possible than wasting months/years/decades of avoiding the issue.

They can move on and find childfree people, too.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
My Fi doesn't understand the question. :crying: Is it "legit"?????? Do you mean, would I care if a man couldn't reproduce?

Dear Lord, if a man took the responsibility to get a vasectomy he gets bumped up on my list. Although my Hispanic ass has ways of defying science. :dry:

Most of my girlfriends are performers and haven't had children yet. Their plan is to adopt them when they are ready. They see it as two-fold benefit. It helps the community and their body won't undergo stress which could heavily affect them as a performer.

Humi....talk to us. What's the matter? Why are you asking? Are you shooting blanks? It's okay. You will find a woman who loves the squishy you regardless. :happy:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Humi....talk to us. What's the matter? Why are you asking? Are you shooting blanks? It's okay. You will find a woman who loves the squishy you regardless. :happy:
LMAO hahahahahaha Pink, you kill me. You are such a good joker, that Ne of
yours sure does enjoy making silly silly connections ;P

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
I knew a woman who divorced her first husband because he couldn't. He conveniently forgot to tell her until after they were married and that really pissed her off. She wanted to have children.

My Fi doesn't understand the question. :crying: Is it "legit"?????? Do you mean, would I care if a man couldn't reproduce?

Dear Lord, if a man took the responsibility to get a vasectomy he gets bumped up on my list. Although my Hispanic ass has ways of defying science. :dry:

Most of my girlfriends are performers and haven't had children yet. Their plan is to adopt them when they are ready. They see it as two-fold benefit. It helps the community and their body won't undergo stress which could heavily affect them as a performer.

·
Iron Fist
3,684 Posts
Isn't it legit to get out of any relationship that you don't want anymore?

Reactions: lirulin

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
I knew a woman who divorced her first husband because he couldn't. He conveniently forgot to tell her until after they were married and that really pissed her off. She wanted to have children.
This is why couples gotta lay it all out there in the beginning. I don't like when the men I date wait to tell me about their hidden children, or past 6 wives way after we've gone exclusive. Don't you agree it's better to wait before moving in together because of that reason? :tongue:

Anyway, yeah... I was looking for a breeder when I got married. I admit it. I wanted my daughter to have blue eyes. In retrospect, I really believe it was the child I wanted.

Now I have a blue eyed Mini Me who gives me hell..

Reactions: killerB

·
Iron Fist
3,684 Posts
Reactions: pinkrasputin

·
Registered
341 Posts
Isn't it legit to get out of any relationship that you don't want anymore?
My thoughts exactly.

If you don't want the relationship, why stay in it? It does not matter if it is for lack of children or if you just dislike the mole they have on their right arm. If the feelings are not there, they are not there. Ofc, if the person needs you, depends on you, or wtv, you should take care of them. But pretending to want a relationship you don't want never goes well. I don't even understand the "legitimate" word for this question.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Is it a legitimate reason to not get into a relationship with someone or break it off with them because they will be unable to do their part in reproducing(sterile or any other medical reason that would prevent them from reproducing)? What are your thoughts on this?

No. No one knows they are infertile before they try to concieve. If you love someone, and you find out they are infertile, to leave is wrong. There are many other options, adoption or fertility doctors. Or you could find someone to donor or carry for you. There are ways around it.

To me, it is like being with someone, loving them and then finding out they have cancer. Is it legitimate to break it off with them? People do it. I know someone whose husband divorced her because she was diagnosed with breast cancer.

If you first meet someone and they know ahead of time they are infertile, then I can understand not wanting to pursue the relationship if that is important to you. You have no investment or obligation with this person you are only dating, or first dating. However, leaving a person because they can't reproduce after you are in a relationship, if it is out of their control(not due to choice, or if they lie to you and say they can and can't, or lie and say they want them to get you, etc.....those are different matters) is wrong.

However, you may be doing that person a favor breaking up with them, letting them find a person whom truly loves them for who they are, instead of their reproductive organs.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I have various complicated issues with my reproductive system and may not be able to have kids. I'm absolutely terrified of dealing with it in the future, not only because of the direct ramifications (obviously possibly not being able to reproduce) but also having to tell whoever I'm with-- when should I break the news? How will they react? Just thinking about that gives me knots in my stomach. :unsure:

Having kids is really important to me, so I would understand if someone left me because of that, if I ended up not being able to, but at the same time, it would be absolutely crushing. I'd much rather turn to options like fertility treatments or surrogacy or adoption before it came to that...

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have various complicated issues with my reproductive system and may not be able to have kids. I'm absolutely terrified of dealing with it in the future, not only because of the direct ramifications (obviously possibly not being able to reproduce) but also having to tell whoever I'm with-- when should I break the news? How will they react? Just thinking about that gives me knots in my stomach. :unsure:

Having kids is really important to me, so I would understand if someone left me because of that, if I ended up not being able to, but at the same time, it would be absolutely crushing. I'd much rather turn to options like fertility treatments or surrogacy or adoption before it came to that...
In that situation I'd open up as soon as possible, when in a relationship. This way, I know the person is with me for who I am and will deal with my problems as "ours" instead of being with me because I'm deceiving them (which is bound to backfire).

Reactions: pinkrasputin

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
If you love someone, and you find out they are infertile, to leave is wrong.
Why? Some people really want kids, like deciding their names since they're 7 kind of thing. Of course they'd have to think/ soul-search first whether they love the other one enough (I think 'love' is a spectrum, rather than Y/N question) to stay; but I don't think it's wrong to decide that they'd rather leave.

Reactions: WickedQueen

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
i'd go "great!" 'cause i don't want kids
That would be my response also. Awesome, no birth control pills or condoms, woot.

But I think it would depend on the person. That does seem like a pretty jacked up reason to not want to be with someone, but in the other point of view, there are people who want children so badly it consumes them, so I can see both sides of the situation. This is a tough topic.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
That reminds me! Humi- Why couldn't the male pumpkin get the female pumpkin pregnant? *waits for reply*

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That reminds me! Humi- Why couldn't the male pumpkin get the female pumpkin pregnant? *waits for reply*
Considering who I am talking to.....I don't even know if I wanna ask. :tongue::tongue::tongue:
<3

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.