Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a symptom of weak Si? Sometimes I feel like I've just stepped into another dimension entirely.

I'm not sure what's different. I just have the weird feeling that all the rules have switched around again and I have to adjust. Perhaps, I'm just tired or something physical is off. It happens every once and again.

Another theory I had was that this is symptomatic of having weak Si.
Like, all these things have changed but I didn't notice until a million little things were different all at once over a grand period of time.

Like the first time I was in the mall I used to go to in high school since I had been away to college (it had been like four or five years). And it was like, "Woe. Where am I? Who am I?"

How would the experience be different for someone that Si was strong?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
Something is odd, it feels like something incredulously familiar is starting again, but on a bigger, more explodey scale.
Something also feels like its dying, beep by beep.
Something is also laughing, very very hard.
None of these are me, mind you, and it is highly perplexing.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Something is odd, it feels like something incredulously familiar is starting again, but on a bigger, more explodey scale.
Something also feels like its dying, beep by beep.
Something is also laughing, very very hard.
None of these are me, mind you, and it is highly perplexing.
ROFL .... is it bad that I'm following everything you're saying. Although I'm sure you're fully aware that we all LOVE explosions.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@aef8234 and @Psyphon, so wait, is it us or the world that is changing?

It feels like there's a silence that has fallen sometimes.
Every moment we're propelled into another dimension.
I just don't get it. It's so crazy.
Has Velcron really altered the rules of the universe?

What is going on?
Maybe I need to go crazy for a little while.

I feel as if, in a dimension very near by, the world was destroyed 0-4 years ago.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh it's fine, bigger things have happened before, bigger things will happen after.
Yes, thank you. That's reassuring and reminds me of this:

Very comforting.

I think I just freak out when I realize something has come to an end. But you can't have beginnings without ends. Sometimes I just need to remember that.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Ahh Im not sure I can agree with this.. I think since to the copious amounts of caffeine i ingest (lol definitely not a good thing, so don't copy me kids) that it helps stimulate my Si.. It forces me to live in the moment and take in my environment in a greater level of detail. But then it hinders my ability to think creatively and have original thoughts.. The only down fall, but its kinda nice to escape my mind for a couple of hours a day..

·
Banned
1,969 Posts
Is this a symptom of weak Si?
Quite possibly.

I am (allegedly) an INFJ, which would mean that my least used function is Si (and obviously, my inferior = Se) so it's fair to say that I've always had 'issues' interfacing with the world in a physical sense.

From being a small child I've found there to be something inherently... wrong with this thing we call "reality". Most likely it is down to the fact that I reside mainly within my own head, so I'm obviously placing filters over my perceptions of reality... but yeah - imagine spending all your life feeling like a remote observer. It's as though the 'real' me (huuur) is somewhere else entirely, far removed from any of this. I have always had the sense that the true nature of things lies just outside of my grasp, barely tangible. It's almost like I can feel or sense something just beyond the realms of my perceptions, tantalising, ethereal, mysterious. It effortlessly resists my infantile attempts to understand and define, yet it is there. Elusive, almost entirely beyond definition, expertly hidden from plain site.

.... sounds insane, yes? Welcome to my wonderfully deluded mind.

With regards to things changing, I feel it too. I can't tell you why I feel the way I do (or how I arrived at the conclusion, educated guesses aside) but I can't help feeling that we're building up to an event. Something big is going to happen. A shift in conciousness, perhaps? It's as though something is 'swelling' under the strain of something else. Cracks are beginning to appear, light is coming to the dark.

As I say, I can't really tell you the how's or why's of this, but my gut tells me something is coming. Not yet, but soon. We are still gathering momentum at present, but we seem to be hurtling towards the end game faster and faster as the days, months and years pass by.

*Re-reads post*

I really am batshit insane. I should probably see someone about that.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I don't know if I feel like such a seismic shift is underway but reading about people's feelings that this is happening is quite exciting. :p

A change of rules comes with growing older and into new roles in life - whether you have chosen that role and are aware of it or those around you and the environment you are in has prescribed it to you without you even knowing. Its only natural to go through a period of questioning what's changed and how that affects your role and identity in life as you go through such a period of dissonance. Been there, done that. ^_^

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Is this a symptom of weak Si? Sometimes I feel like I've just stepped into another dimension entirely.

I'm not sure what's different. I just have the weird feeling that all the rules have switched around again and I have to adjust. Perhaps, I'm just tired or something physical is off. It happens every once and again.

Another theory I had was that this is symptomatic of having weak Si.
Like, all these things have changed but I didn't notice until a million little things were different all at once over a grand period of time.

Like the first time I was in the mall I used to go to in high school since I had been away to college (it had been like four or five years). And it was like, "Woe. Where am I? Who am I?"

How would the experience be different for someone that Si was strong?
When this happens are you under any kind of stress? Then it is possible it is due to underdeveloped Si and it seems like there is a disconnect with the past or any type continuity. It may also be like what you know is missing and some things have changed while you did not notice.

Probably someone with a developed Si will feel more grounded in his/her environment.

·
Banned
293 Posts
Small changes disconcert me, I think because they're too small for me to bother finding out the answer..
:/ where has my pen gone? when did that shop down the road close? why did I make myself a tuna sandwich today? *shudder* I personally hope something big happens soon to take my mind off of all these minor inconveniences.
Why is there a spaceship in my back garden? I don't know, let's find out... :p

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
From being a small child I've found there to be something inherently... wrong with this thing we call "reality".
I think it might just be the inferior S in general that would make someone uncomfortable with what "is". The above quote is, I think, a good example (and the use of "reality" being conflicting with residing in one's own head I think shows the Ni-Se).

As an S I am doubtful of ideas of "what's really going on". I guess I take the Descartes point of view on the nature of reality. Even if I could know for certain that anyone else had a mind, they might perceive, say, this forum post as a debate on the virtues of various types of candy. I would perceive their response as something relating to typology while for them they would have quoted my thoughts on Hershey's kisses. I tend to dismiss the concept of a "true reality" as pointless (I think it might be my dismissal of inferior Ne) if I can't perceive it in any way, since otherwise it's just sort of taking someone's word for it. I don't need to be hands on; I don't need to have done the scientific experiments myself to see the evidence. However, if it's something like "Well there's evidence for the existence of a flying pig but it's impossible for you to comprehend it", what's the point? It isn't a part of the reality I am in.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, this thread became very interesting in ways I did not forsee. Although, I didn't quite have an objective. Just wanted to know if anyone else had similar experience.

@pmj85, you are not insane. I suggest you read type 5 enneagram what you describe resonates more with type 5 than with any MBTI type.

@Forward, yes, you're right it's possibly due to the changing in life roles. It's nice to know you've experienced it, too.

@MoonLight, I rarely feel grounded in my environment. Also, I don't know what "stress" is. Maybe I do, I'll have to think on it for a long while, though, before I can feel a sense of completeness on the definition.

@Teatowel Wrangler, your post was hilarious and adorable. I feel the exact same way. You're amazing.

@Owfin, would you say that Si is a detail oriented function? Also, what does "big picture" mean to you?

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
@Owfin, would you say that Si is a detail oriented function? Also, what does "big picture" mean to you?
I suppose it is detiail oriented in a way, but not any more than Ni is. The details part seems to me to be the fact that our abstract formulations of things in our minds can be very precise and specific.

"Big picture" to me means the whole scene. The sum of the parts. It sort of generalizes the small bits to get a larger picture.

·
Banned
1,969 Posts
@pmj85, you are not insane. I suggest you read type 5 enneagram what you describe resonates more with type 5 than with any MBTI type.
Thanks for that insight, but I've looked in to Type 5 and it just isn't me at all; it talks about 'hoarding' etc, yet I've been told that I am (and I quote) "Generous to a fault". I'm the idiot that rarely has anything for myself because I fritter money (or 'resources') away on friends and family. I enjoy that, though. I shall now take an enneagram test.

This is live science, kids. Step back!

(Personality Test Site - first google result ftw)

Type 4.

I have no idea how accurate that will be, of course... but I'll look in to it later and report back.

@Owfin

"Big picture" to me means 'understanding the nature of everything'. I want to fully understand 'why' and 'how'. Obviously, this is far beyond my grasp. Still, I learn what I can and add it all into the 'inner framework', or whatever you call it. My aim in life is to learn as much as I can and, hopefully, exit this inconsequential existence with a satisfactory knowledge of 'just what the hell' :tongue:

·
Registered
290 Posts
As an S I am doubtful of ideas of "what's really going on". I guess I take the Descartes point of view on the nature of reality. Even if I could know for certain that anyone else had a mind, they might perceive, say, this forum post as a debate on the virtues of various types of candy. I would perceive their response as something relating to typology while for them they would have quoted my thoughts on Hershey's kisses. I tend to dismiss the concept of a "true reality" as pointless (I think it might be my dismissal of inferior Ne) if I can't perceive it in any way, since otherwise it's just sort of taking someone's word for it. I don't need to be hands on; I don't need to have done the scientific experiments myself to see the evidence. However, if it's something like "Well there's evidence for the existence of a flying pig but it's impossible for you to comprehend it", what's the point? It isn't a part of the reality I am in.
Is it strange that I'm totally not S at all, but of the posts on the thread I relate to this the most?

Perception is a highly, highly subjective process. @marzipan01, you might want to consider that "you" changing and "the world" changing may not be so different as far as your mind is concerned. I've been in some pretty weeeeird mental places and can attest that seeking a concrete explanation probably won't work. One time all it took for me to snap out of it was a verse from Ecclesiastes... something along the lines of "everything is meaningless." Oh. Cool. Problem solved.

Consider memory. A scarily large portion of what you think you remember probably never happened (at least this is what the psychologists tell us), so nobody possesses a 100% accurate assessment of the supposed physical universe that we supposedly co-inhabit anyway. I hope I'm making some sense.

I think your disorientation is leaking through my computer screen and now I'm wondering what the color blue is. Ouch. Stop it T.T Must. Reattain. Cartesian. Awareness. Of universe. Omnibus dubitandum like a boss.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts